Southwest Airline Flight Attendant Hiring 2014.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 4156)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

LAX in los angeles, California

30 months ago

Hi Everyone,

Southwest Airlines opened Flight Attendant Hiring 12/18/2013.

I wanted to start a Fresh new forum for all of us so we can keep our progress in 1 forum.

Good Luck to All.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (141) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

jarehead1264 in Phoenix, Arizona

30 months ago

LAX in los angeles, California said: Hi Everyone,

Southwest Airlines opened Flight Attendant Hiring 12/18/2013.

I wanted to start a Fresh new forum for all of us so we can keep our progress in 1 forum.

Good Luck to All.

thank you I am here with you lax...I bet your hoping for oak, I am in phx and I know for sure I will not get phx have you flown before...???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

flapsup in Wooster, Ohio

30 months ago

Good idea! Thanks :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

jarehead1264 in Phoenix, Arizona said: thank you I am here with you lax...I bet your hoping for oak, I am in phx and I know for sure I will not get phx have you flown before...???

Stay positive about PHX you just never know by the time they get to us. Yes I've flown before but I rather not discuss on the public networks especially it's different company and different concept.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

To Sapphire & flapsup you both Welcome!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Hoping... in Los Angeles, California

30 months ago

For those that need to review what the posting originally said, I just happened to still have the page up! So want to save it here for us... And for historical purposes and people reading this in the distant future, today's date is Wed. Dec. 18th, 2013 - we're making history here!

Now Hiring Flight Attendants!
Are you ready for your career to soar to new heights? To be cleared for departure, all applicants must:

Have a High School Diploma, GED, or equivalent education
Be at least 20 years of age
Have authorization to work in the United States as defined by the Immigration Reform Act of 1986

If you meet these qualifications and would like to apply, simply send your resume as an attachment to SWAInflightHiring@wnco.com (.pdf, .doc, .docx, .txt, and .rtf formats only). Cover letters and information in the body of the e-mail will not be read. And while we value creativity, we will not accept or review photos or videos. If your e-mail program does not launch automatically when clicking the e-mail link above, please copy and paste the address in the “To:” field of your e-mail submission.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Sapphire21 in Ohio

30 months ago

Zabeth in Magnolia, Kentucky said: I'm waiting to hear back from my friend. I asked her about the process. She got in last time they hired. I'll let y'all know anything I find out.

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

Ok, not sure how well this will work but am going to try to post the FA Q&A that I happened to save (aren't I amazing?! lol) Bear w/me as this may be messy since it has a lot of formatting...

INTERESTED IN
BECOMING
A
SOUTHWEST AIRLINES
FLIGHT ATTENDANT?
Flight Attendant Questions and Answers
General Information
:
Q:
Is there a minimum age requirement to be a Flight Attendant?
A:
Yes, you must be
at least
20 years old.
Q:
By when must I have a valid, unexpired passport to show eligibility to serve on
international
routes?
A:
You must present a valid, unexpired passport from your country of origin by the
beginning of
Initial Flight Attendant training, or you will be releas
ed from class.
Q:
If I do not currently have a valid, unexpired passport, will Southwest pay for me to obtain a
passport or to renew an expired passport?
A:
Candidates for Flight Attendant without a valid, unexpired passport must obtain one at their
o
wn expense by the beginning of training class.
Q:
What is the biggest challenge of being a Flight Attendant?
A:
It is a lifestyle change!
You will live out of a suitcase and will average over 100 nights a year in a
hotel. It is not a typical 8 to 5
job where you get to go home every night. We have irregular
operations and re
-
routes. These are times you thought you’d be home and
you’re not!
Time is
spent away from family and working holidays.
Q:
What is the best part about being a Flight Attenda
nt?
A:
It is a lifestyle change!
You have the opportunity to spread the “Southwest Spirit” to our
Customers every day. You will
get to
travel to
our great
destinations
and meet many new
people. You will get to create
loyal
Customers
with
your Customer
Service
and memories with
your fellow Crew
M
embers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

Yikes! Shall I keep going? Is this helpful?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

alexusnexus in Neenah, Wisconsin

30 months ago

Hi everyone! SkyguyDAL, I know it's a bit premature to ask but, do we get to wear scarves with the women's uniform?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

eastside407

30 months ago

I did mines in Doc

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

alexusnexus in Neenah, Wisconsin

30 months ago

Hehe :-)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Sapphire21 in Ohio

30 months ago

This is awesome video SWA FA Training

www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1MxdoUu98Y
FA Gina

The next one the instructors dancece www.youtube.com/watch?v=teYRJtpxTbc

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Mikey in Wynantskill, New York

30 months ago

Just wanted to thank zabeth for posting it's up earlier today!!!!!! Greatly appreciate that. Being on the swajobs.com site I never would have seen the posting on the southwest.com/careers site posting!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

beckerson in Seattle, Washington

30 months ago

skyguyDAL in Dallas, Texas said: Thanks for the welcome.

Like I said... I've worked for the Company for almost 20 years...and WOW... What a GREAT COMPANY it is to work for.

It is. I know some others on this site have tried to make it sound like a cult.

It's not. It is a genuinely good Company with a pay scale and benefits that are unmatched.

My point here is not, however, to brag about the Company, its simply, if you would like, to answer any questions a hopeful future employee may have.

Hello! Could you possibly share your timeline? It obliviously doesn't have to be the exact days since it was quite a while ago... Just trying to see how patient I will have to be. ;-) thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

Obviously* ^^

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

AA BB in Alpharetta, Georgia

30 months ago

Sapphire21 in Ohio said: This is awesome video SWA FA Training

FA Gina

Thank you Saphhire...i just had all kinds of butterflies watching those links : )

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Sapphire21 in Ohio

30 months ago

AA BB in Alpharetta, Georgia said: Thank you Saphhire...i just had all kinds of butterflies watching those links : )

Your welcome AA BB :)
I know both of those are older, but very good and interesting to watch.

eastside407 in Houston, Texas

30 months ago

Sapphire21 in Ohio said: I did mine in word docx

If you did DOCX you will be ok

Sapphire21 in Ohio

30 months ago

eastside407 in Houston, Texas said: If you did DOCX you will be ok

Thanks I am now in mode to be analytical as I am a Virgo LOL
How wonderful they opened before the holidays too :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Inneedofwork in Concord, North Carolina

30 months ago

skyguyDAL in Dallas, Texas said: Current Southwest flight attendant here.

I've worked for the Company for almost 20 years. I've been a flight attendant for more than 10 of those years.

Just joined this site to answer any questions you may have.

Congrats to all that successfully applied today. :)

Thank you. I have a question. I am really worried about if my resume can be read because I don't know if it was in the correct format. I just switch over to a Mac and haven't really figured it out yet. Will they still look at it and accept it if it's not formatted correctly?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

Sapphire21 in Ohio said: what is DOCX is that same as word?

Yes it is! Microsoft changed formats from .doc to .docx about 3 or 4 years ago.

skyguyDAL in Dallas, Texas

30 months ago

beckerson... my timeline would not be correct seeing as how I worked for the company for almost 10 years before going inflight.

Not only was it over 10 years ago.... BUT the Company already had all of my background information and finger prints, etc.

If you REALLY want to know my timeline from when I was hired as a ground operations person back in the early 90s.... (just to show how times have changed).... There was NO INTERNET applications.... we had to fill out a six-page written paper application... include a recent picture of ourselves and a $35 application fee.... PLUS make sure we met the current height/weight standards..... all of THAT just to work on the ground.... Oh... and it took almost a year to get hired.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

Inneedofwork in Concord, North Carolina said: Thank you. I have a question. I am really worried about if my resume can be read because I don't know if it was in the correct format. I just switch over to a Mac and haven't really figured it out yet. Will they still look at it and accept it if it's not formatted correctly?

What was the program you used to create the resume on your Mac?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Looking2fly in Palm Harbor, Florida

30 months ago

Mikey in Wynantskill, New York said: Yes it is! Microsoft changed formats from .doc to .docx about 3 or 4 years ago.

So if I attached a word document and the attachment is .doc not .docx, then it should be fine also right? Freaking out a little...ha.

30 months ago

skyguyDAL in Dallas, Texas said: beckerson... my timeline would not be correct seeing as how I worked for the company for almost 10 years before going inflight.

Not only was it over 10 years ago.... BUT the Company already had all of my background information and finger prints, etc.

If you REALLY want to know my timeline from when I was hired as a ground operations person back in the early 90s.... (just to show how times have changed).... There was NO INTERNET applications.... we had to fill out a six-page written paper application... include a recent picture of ourselves and a $35 application fee.... PLUS make sure we met the current height/weight standards..... all of THAT just to work on the ground.... Oh... and it took almost a year to get hired.

Wow a very different process! Well thank you for sharing. :) where are you based if I may ask?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Zabeth in Orland Park, Illinois

30 months ago

Mikey in Wynantskill, New York said: Just wanted to thank zabeth for posting it's up earlier today!!!!!! Greatly appreciate that. Being on the swajobs.com site I never would have seen the posting on the southwest.com/careers site posting!!!!!

Anytime! Were you able to send in your resume??

30 months ago

Try this link. It's what someone was trying to post earlier.

www.southwest.com/assets/pdfs/careers/External_Hiring_FAQ.pdf

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

eastside407 in Houston, Texas

30 months ago

Sapphire21 in Ohio said: Thanks I am now in mode to be analytical as I am a Virgo LOL
How wonderful they opened before the holidays too :)

Yea that's word an they can open it so your fine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

But to give everyone an idea...

People talk about our weird method of "Trips for Pay."

Per our union, "Trips for Pay" can basically be converted to hourly by "Southwest Trips For Pay" multiplied by 1.15.

Because, despite the whole "hourly" pay talk... we really are paid hourly. Yes... we are paid "by trip" and a "trip" is basically 225 miles.... (It is still, after 40 years, based on the mileage of our original routes Dallas-Houston-San Antonio-Dallas).... but if you are working a flight that runs longer than it should.... If your Dallas-Houston flight has to circle and circle... Your're paid for all that time. A "trip for pay" may be "225 miles"... but if your flight runs longer... You're paid for it. Like I said. Our BASIC coversion, per our union.... is "If you want to figure our your HOURLY pay rate, multiply your trips per pay by 1.15."

So... DOING the math... our HOURLY pay rates at Southwest come out to:

Year 1: $24.63/hr
Year 2: $29.13/hr
Year 3: $31.51/hr
Year 4: $34.07/hr
Year 5: $38.86/hr
Year 6: $41.07/hr
Year 7: $43.16/hr
Year 8: $45.72/hr
Year 9: $48.40/hr
Year 10: $50.86/hr
Year 11: $54.45/hr
Year 12: $58.26/hr
Year 13: $61.62/hr

Like I said... that is different from our "Per trip" Pay.. but if you actually want to convert to HOURLY, which is how we actually get paid... that's the true hourly pay scale. (Trips per Pay X 1.15).

Our per diem is 2.15 per hour for every hour away from base.

Our bases are OAK, LAS, PHX, DEN, DAL, HOU, MDW, MCO, BWI...

People ask what our most "junior" bases are.... That, honestly, is a hard question to answer because of the AirTran merger.

DAL will always be the most senior. Please DO NOT think will live in the Dallas area and get based in DAL. Currently, I believe the MOST JUNIOR person in the DAL base has at least six years of seniority.

I hope this helps a bit. Please ask any questions you would like.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Sapphire21 in Ohio

30 months ago

skyguyDAL in Dallas, Texas said: But to give everyone an idea...

People talk about our weird method of "Trips for Pay."

Per our union, "Trips for Pay" can basically be converted to hourly by "Southwest Trips For Pay" multiplied by 1.15.

Because, despite the whole "hourly" pay talk... we really are paid hourly. Yes... we are paid "by trip" and a "trip" is basically 225 miles.... (It is still, after 40 years, based on the mileage of our original routes Dallas-Houston-San Antonio-Dallas).... but if you are working a flight that runs longer than it should.... If your Dallas-Houston flight has to circle and circle... Your're paid for all that time. A "trip for pay" may be "225 miles"... but if your flight runs longer... You're paid for it. Like I said. Our BASIC coversion, per our union.... is "If you want to figure our your HOURLY pay rate, multiply your trips per pay by 1.15."

So... DOING the math... our HOURLY pay rates at Southwest come out to:

Year 1: $24.63/hr
Year 2: $29.13/hr
Year 3: $31.51/hr
Year 4: $34.07/hr
Year 5: $38.86/hr
Year 6: $41.07/hr
Year 7: $43.16/hr
Year 8: $45.72/hr
Year 9: $48.40/hr
Year 10: $50.86/hr
Year 11: $54.45/hr
Year 12: $58.26/hr
Year 13: $61.62/hr

Like I said... that is different from our "Per trip" Pay.. but if you actually want to convert to HOURLY, which is how we actually get paid... that's the true hourly pay scale. (Trips per Pay X 1.15).

Our per diem is 2.15 per hour for every hour away from base.

Our bases are OAK, LAS, PHX, DEN, DAL, HOU, MDW, MCO, BWI...

People ask what our most "junior" bases are.... That, honestly, is a hard question to answer because of the AirTran merger.

I hope this helps a bit. Please ask any questions you would like.

Thank you Skyguy- Wow .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Inneedofwork in Concord, North Carolina

30 months ago

Mikey in Wynantskill, New York said: What was the program you used to create the resume on your Mac?

Pages

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sapphire21 in Ohio

30 months ago

Skyguy what was the interview like for you when you went?
I know it be different of course but curious?

What is most challenging to you as a FA?
What has been your most well challening passenger?

30 months ago

Beckerson... I am based in DAL.

I commuted to OAK, BWI and HOU for almost three years before getting based in my home-town of DAL.

Currently, for anyone interested, getting into DAL is AT LEAST 7 years and sure to get longer.

I say that... because... I thought 3 years was bad. If someone would have told me it would be six years or more.... I don't think I would have even tried.

Commuting is ROUGH. It truly makes this an ENTIRELY different job.

So anyone who may have applied today who thinks DAL is in your near-future.... I hate to say it... but IT IS NOT. Like I said... our most JUNIOR person in DAL currently has 7 years seniority.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sapphire21 in Ohio

30 months ago

skyguyDAL in Dallas, Texas said: Beckerson... I am based in DAL.

I commuted to OAK, BWI and HOU for almost three years before getting based in my home-town of DAL.

Currently, for anyone interested, getting into DAL is AT LEAST 7 years and sure to get longer.

I say that... because... I thought 3 years was bad. If someone would have told me it would be six years or more.... I don't think I would have even tried.

Commuting is ROUGH. It truly makes this an ENTIRELY different job.

So anyone who may have applied today who thinks DAL is in your near-future.... I hate to say it... but IT IS NOT. Like I said... our most JUNIOR person in DAL currently has 7 years seniority.

I can say living in Ohio for 20-27 yrs I am soo ready to relocate and begin a new page, and I just want to be where SWA can most use me

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mur25 in Round Lake, Illinois

30 months ago

Not to get ahead of myself.... But does anyone know the bases that new hires will be going to and whatis most and least senior

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

Sapphire21 in Ohio said: Skyguy what was the interview like for you when you went?
I know it be different of course but curious?

What is most challenging to you as a FA?
What has been your most well challening passenger?

Its been a long time since I did a face-to-face interview... but I think I am safe in saying... The Company is going to want a lot of "personal experience" stories.

There will most likely be A LOT OF: "Tell me about a time in your past when...."

Most challenging??? I ask this... not to sound mean or anything.. but have you been a flight attendant before?

Because...as a flight attendant... the "most challenging" is not rude passengers.... not stupidity... not crazy requests...

As a flight attendant, in my 10+ years of flying... my most challenging things have been a passenger, literally going crazy onboard and making crazy threats about killing people and we actually had to have him restrained and make an emergency landing to have him removed.... to an inflight bomb threat where we had to divert and have the FBI come on board and interrogate the passengers and I went through the whole, official, FBI de-briefing process...

But... that's rare. My boyfriend, at the time, told me: "I NEVER WANT TO FLY WITH YOU! YOU HAVE THE MOST BIZARRE THINGS HAPPEN TO YOU!" LOL

You actually reach the point where you just become numb in this job.

A passenger peeing themselves in the galley.... someone trying to bring a full-gown tree onboard.... a "service" dog biting another passenger.... a passenger bitching you out because they have an allergy to wheat and you are serving pretzels.... The things you would think are crazy just become normal. LOL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

Sapphire21 in Ohio said: I can say living in Ohio for 20-27 yrs I am soo ready to relocate and begin a new page, and I just want to be where SWA can most use me

Where in Ohio are you from?? I am a fellow Buckeye!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

skyguyDAL in Dallas, Texas said: Its been a long time since I did a face-to-face interview... but I think I am safe in saying... The Company is going to want a lot of "personal experience" stories.

There will most likely be A LOT OF: "Tell me about a time in your past when...."

Most challenging??? I ask this... not to sound mean or anything.. but have you been a flight attendant before?

Because...as a flight attendant... the "most challenging" is not rude passengers.... not stupidity... not crazy requests...

As a flight attendant, in my 10+ years of flying... my most challenging things have been a passenger, literally going crazy onboard and making crazy threats about killing people and we actually had to have him restrained and make an emergency landing to have him removed.... to an inflight bomb threat where we had to divert and have the FBI come on board and interrogate the passengers and I went through the whole, official, FBI de-briefing process...

But... that's rare. My boyfriend, at the time, told me: "I NEVER WANT TO FLY WITH YOU! YOU HAVE THE MOST BIZARRE THINGS HAPPEN TO YOU!" LOL

You actually reach the point where you just become numb in this job.

A passenger peeing themselves in the galley.... someone trying to bring a full-gown tree onboard.... a "service" dog biting another passenger.... a passenger bitching you out because they have an allergy to wheat and you are serving pretzels.... The things you would think are crazy just become normal. LOL

Haha some of those things sound like what I deal with everyday.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

Mur25 in Round Lake, Illinois said: Not to get ahead of myself.... But does anyone know the bases that new hires will be going to and whatis most and least senior

DAL is most senior. No doubt.

After that, due to AirTran...its a throw up.

MDW and BWI used to be junior.

Now, since they are easy commutes from ATL, they have become senior. You can't get it.

Right now... West coast is going junior again.

But ATL is opening as a FA base in the spring...

So all of the AirTran folks will probably be leaving the west coast and BWI and MDW ti go back to ATL.

Its a hard time to tell. The AirTran merger has really shaken things up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

How hard would Houston be to get?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ldrpt01 in East, Texas

30 months ago

once in a training class, how is your base determined?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ArcticHawk

30 months ago

I was lucky enough to get my resume in minutes after the posting. YAAAY!! I'm excited & hope I make it to the next step. I know there will be a phone interview & then a F2F. Good luck everyone!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

welnora in Chicago, Illinois

30 months ago

I was wondering how does sw reserve works and will it be hard to get MDW as a base

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

flyboston in Allston, Massachusetts

30 months ago

Good information here. I didn't know they get paid so high and the per diem is great. As a previous FA, those numbers are impressive. Bases are good options well. Thanks for the breakdown Skyguy. Hopefully I can get an interview down the road.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

kileykittykellyI in Visalia, California

30 months ago

Sapphire21 in Ohio said: This is awesome video SWA FA Training

FA Gina

There are people in that video that look like us. Regular, everyday people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

Looking2fly in Palm Harbor, Florida said: So if I attached a word document and the attachment is .doc not .docx, then it should be fine also right? Freaking out a little...ha.

You are correct. The posting had said, .doc, .docx, .pdf, .txt

Sounds like you are in good company!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

I am told that of the 750, 50 should be heading to Orlando. (Woohoo!!!) Also with recent news due to the airtran / southwest merger that has been going on the internet, the state of florida is extending the amount of time southwest / airtran needs to gain an additional 40-50 team members by 2014. HOWEVER Greater Orlando Aviation Authority did not agree to this. This means if they do not get these candidates in Orlando by a specific date they are breaching a contract and their rents will go up....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

welnora in Chicago, Illinois

30 months ago

Hey SkyGuy do you know if it will be hard to get MDW as a base

30 months ago

Zabeth in Orland Park, Illinois said: Anytime! Were you able to send in your resume??

I sure was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.