Top flight attendant skills needed to get the job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 203)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

hama in Birmingham, United Kingdom

88 months ago

how much do u earn , i heard the money is crap but the job is cool

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

spike flight attendant in Portland

88 months ago

I think all anyone need is www.flightattendantcareer.com and www.airlinecareer.com these websites give get info on getting a job.
but you need to be your self and be a people person.

shante in Fort Wayne, Indiana

88 months ago

Host said: What are the top 3 traits or skills every flight attendant must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your flight attendant expertise?

u really do not need a lot of training

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

mikael in Montreal, Quebec

88 months ago

Anyways for the interview. What really worked for me was always smiling, outgoing and well dressed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Gracie

87 months ago

What type of education do you need to be a FA?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

mikael in Montreal, Quebec

87 months ago

NOTHING

rajaa amsrouy in Rabat, Morocco

87 months ago

my name is rajaa im from morocco i have 21 years old
im graduated from center of flight attendant and i was working in travel agency as assistante
im beautifull, active , dynamic
i speek arab frensh english . I weigh 52 kg my size 160 cm
I have all qualities to be a flight attendant
thank you to answer me as soon as possible
rajaa

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

sharon 1 in LA, California

87 months ago

I recently interview with continental, and thought my interview went really well, but heard that I did not get it. Is it worth doing it again with them, or go to another airline? I did not wear a suit, like some have posted and I'm not tall, and wonder if the way you speak is that important. Silly questions, but I wonder why they did not call me back. What do you think is important to them? thanks

Sally in Boise, Idaho

87 months ago

Can you tell me what kind of questions they asked you if you remember by chance?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

angel in Kissimmee, Florida

87 months ago

rajaa amsrouy in Rabat, Morocco said: my name is rajaa im from morocco i have 21 years old
im graduated from center of flight attendant and i was working in travel agency as assistante
rajaa

hey raja did you try apply with RAM ?

prinjee in Chicago, Illinois

86 months ago

are they particular on checking the teeth? what if you have a jacket in front and a false teeth but doesn't look fake? i mean, what if you have false tooth in front but even if you're smiling, it can not be noticed that it is just a fake crown? will they reject you or it's not a big deal? im asking if they are particular in all airlines. tnx

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

prinjee in Chicago, Illinois

86 months ago

please do answer me. ive been dreaming to be an attendant. i weigh 49kls, i know im 5'2" but when i tried to apply for FA and they have me screened,they told me that im just flat 5ft. they didn't bother to interview me in Gulf Air. the first thing they did is check my resume and then weigh me and get my height in cm. told me that they'll call me but i didn't get a call from them. i have a background for customer service in 3yrs, got college level. im pretty, flawless, my face is perfect cause i did a commercial for facial soap before but the only thing that bothers me is my teeth. oh its really embarassing to ask this guys. hope uve gotta answer me asap. thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ezequiel in Nampa, Idaho

86 months ago

I have a prescreen one-on-one interview with an airline this week. Was wondering what to expect for this type of interview?

Ezequiel

Antonio in Denton, Texas

86 months ago

prinjee in Chicago, Illinois said: are they particular on checking the teeth? what if you have a jacket in front and a false teeth but doesn't look fake? i mean, what if you have false tooth in front but even if you're smiling, it can not be noticed that it is just a fake crown? will they reject you or it's not a big deal? im asking if they are particular in all airlines. tnx

Just make sure you floss them after having a spinach salad and smile, that's all !
C'mmon peeps do you really think that airlines recruiters are focused on your teeth????
They want to see your personality, your attitude, how friendly and polite you are, and yes if you have canine teeth like Dracula maybe they'll think twice, otherwise go with the flow and forget about your teeth.
Don't stress over silly stuff, make an outstanding resume, dress conservative and give your best shot, that's all !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bridgette in Northbrook, Illinois

86 months ago

Antonio in Denton, Texas said: Just make sure you floss them after having a spinach salad and smile, that's all !
C'mmon peeps do you really think that airlines recruiters are focused on your teeth????
They want to see your personality, your attitude, how friendly and polite you are, and yes if you have canine teeth like Dracula maybe they'll think twice, otherwise go with the flow and forget about your teeth.
Don't stress over silly stuff, make an outstanding resume, dress conservative and give your best shot, that's all !

Whomever made this comment is exactly right--take it from an 18 year veteran. Quit worrying about your teeth!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ezequiel in Denver, Colorado

86 months ago

Oh I am sure you have perfect teeth, and age does not matter.

Ezequiel

rosered

86 months ago

Bonjour and Greetings!
(Speaking from 4 different F/A interviews and experienced I have had)

If you are interested and willing to work as a F/A, do your own job. Take initiative people, meaning go online hunting job for F/A career opportunities. I'm sure it will not take a while and not t0o hard to just type down "Fight attendant career opportunities". Then, Google as many Airlines as you are interested in as long as you are aware of the Airline's "requirements" because some do prefer living in their homeland. You will probably do a lot of research and browsing. Then send your well written resume and cover letter. After, applying: the human resources will email you back for a "thank you" and will notify you when can they will give you a call. Although mostly, Airlines scan and go through details of your application at first.
GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE! Sadly, I didn't get the medical exam in my previous interview from Cathay Pacific. But I'm quite glad with all the interview achievements I've been through. It's a learning process and more aware what to expect.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

daniel in Manchester, United Kingdom

86 months ago

hey michele---- i have a good physique, am fluent in English and i believe i have a charming personality too. however i am dark skinned. do u think whether this is a point of concern. all my life, i have dreamt of being a flight steward and i have been working very hard for it. i would definitly appreciate your response to my query. Thank You

ousseynou sow in Dakar, Senegal

85 months ago

I really want to work as a flight attendant in great company.I already done a training as a PNC in IFPNC/AFRIQUE.I hav my CSS (certificate of security and sauvetage).

Chessdork in Baltimore, Maryland

85 months ago

Host said: What are the top 3 traits or skills every flight attendant must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your flight attendant expertise?

I just was given a conditional offer of employment by Delta after an interview in Atlanta. Top 3 things I would suggest:

1. Be friendly - I don't be obnoxious. I mean genuinely friendly. Hold doors for people. Offer to get people a drink. Converse with people. Smile.

2. Nail your interview - A large part of the interview will consist of situational questions such as, "Tell us about a time in your past work experience where you came up with a creative solution to a problem." or "Tell us about a time where you went above and beyond your job description." They will give you some help and let you know beforehand to answer question via the STAR method. STAR = Situation, Task, Action, Result. Don't forget the Result. That's the most important. It's all well and good to tell them you came up with a creative solution to a problem, but what they want you to tell them is how it turned out. Did the action you took actually benefit the company? If so, this a huge selling point to leave out. If not, talking about why it didn't produce a great result shows that you think critically.

3. Be honest/sincere - I assure you I've been in trouble in the past. Alcohol in college, drove on a suspended license, even a trespassing charge. I got fired from a job for a cash shortage. I still got the job offer. There's not much point in lying about anything cause the FBI will find out if they hire you. List EVERY speeding ticket and every job. They will find it out. This isn't mcdonald's it's the FBI. As far as sincere, you should want this job because you really want it. It's a lot of work to start out at 20k/year. If it's not a labor of love you really should look for something else. This applies to being kind to. If you don't like people this isn't for you.

Good Luck

85 months ago

An addendum after reading the other posts:

Dress professionally. They aren't looking for bikini models. They're looking for people who are well groomed and carry themselves in a professional manner. If you're missing your front teeth, maybe that would be a problem, but these posts obsessing about appearances are really missing the point IMHO. Buy a nice suit whether you're male or female. I'm male so i shaved off all my facial hair and took out my earrings and nose ring.

Mel in Jakarta, Indonesia

85 months ago

Chessdork in Baltimore, Maryland said: An addendum after reading the other posts:

Dress professionally. They aren't looking for bikini models. They're looking for people who are well groomed and carry themselves in a professional manner. If you're missing your front teeth, maybe that would be a problem, but these posts obsessing about appearances are really missing the point IMHO. Buy a nice suit whether you're male or female. I'm male so i shaved off all my facial hair and took out my earrings and nose ring.

Sorry, just curious, what is IMHO?

85 months ago

Mel in Jakarta, Indonesia said: Sorry, just curious, what is IMHO?

netspeak = in my humble opinion

Mel in Jakarta, Indonesia

85 months ago

O, TXFYI
(O, thanks for your information) =)

Ashley Hamby in Bridgman, Michigan

85 months ago

Hi,
I'm just turning 17 and I'm finishing my junior year in highschool. I've wanted to be a flight attendant since I was little, and I've been flying alone since I was 6 years old. I beleive I have the skills and personality, and looks to become a flight attendant, but would anyone care to give me advice on how to get on that road? I know I can do it, I just need to know how to start. Thanks for any help.
:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sharon stone in atlanta, Georgia

85 months ago

Michele in Manama, Bahrain said: You need to be able to carry yourself with an air of total calm & control at all times. This doesn't mean being an ice princess, but being able to keep your emotions & feelings under control at all times. This can be done with a smile & of course the tone of your voice. I am 26years old have been flying now for over 6 yrs in commercial, charter & VIP charter flying. There will be days when you will love your job & days where the loneliness, passengers and not to mention your work colleques, may just seem too much. Passengers can be wonderful people & at other times total monsters. During all these times you need to keep an almost oscar winning performance of calmness & understanding. Be compassionate, but remember you are also a human doing a sometimes inhumane job. Don't let anyone treat you otherwise. If they do, make it know, but do it with a smile and an air of sofistication. That way you will never be accused of being rude. I have also been faced with a few emergencies in my time. From engine fires & hydrolic failure, to cracked windscreens & dying passengers. Keeping my composure has always helped both my passengers & myself in keeping a cool head & doing my job 100%. These qualities have helped me to enjoy every aspect of being a flight attendant & have helped me gain a name in my short time in this industry as a professional. This in turn has given me the chance to enter into promotions & jobs ahead of my age & experience. I have been flying with ladies who have been in this career for over 45years & if there is one bit of wisdom they have given me that I can share with you it's this. Make the most of this job, remember to make time for yourself, friends & family & above all wear the uniform with pride, sofistication, intelligence & class. What other job requires you to be a care giver, nurse, firefighter, waitress, barman, cook, mother, wife, sister, public relations officer, marketing rep, negotiator and beauty queen

sharon stone in atlanta, Georgia

85 months ago

hello Michele in Manamma, thanks to your great responce on how to become an flight attendant.However can you let me know how I can go about applying to commercial charter positions? and what company's? thank you so much

ATL FA in Marietta, Georgia

85 months ago

I work for a regional airline with no height restrictions. I can't speak for other airlines although I believe you must be able to reach to a certain height. Many airlines have their requirements posted on their website.
In my opinion, wanting to travel is not a good reason to take an fa job. You will not get enough time off the first year to go anyplace. The pay is so poor that you won't be able to afford a room or meals when you travel. Employee travel is stand-by (space available) and we all know that just about every plane is full so you have to be extremely flexible with your plans. This includes not being able to arrange a rental car or hotel in advance because you can't be sure when you'll get there.

You can probably make twice the money in a conventional job and just put some of it aside for travel. You can get some great deals online. From my experience, happy fa's are those that do the job because they love to fly and have other sources of income. With a regional airline you can expect to earn about $14,000 your first year and work (work Hard) up to about $25,000 yr in 5 years. I work for an airline and don't even use the flight benefits! I want to know I'll get where I want to go and more importantly - get back again. I grab last minute deals online and the cost is well worth it. Another considertation is your health. I repeat this over and over and over. This job is bad news for your health. Fa's have more injuries than construction workers and they are plagued with viruses and bacterial infections caused by the environment in which they work. Even off the plane is hazardous. Cost cutting has made overnight trips loathsome. Many stays are in decaying hotels with bugs, germs, faulty air systems and the like are not for the faint of heart. Unless flying is really in your blood you won't be happy. Heaven help you if it is -you also won't be happy. Once bitten by the flying bug it's hard to escape.
My office looks like an a/c museum.

tasha

85 months ago

Ashlyn said: I speak Spainish, Italian, French, English and Arabic, and am applying to be a flight attendent will my language skills automatically put me ahead.

It should help you. Only if you speak english clearly so people can understand you over the intercom> Thats what they told me at my group interview.

tasha

85 months ago

Bridgette Gilchrist in Wheeling, Illinois said: I have been a flight attendant for 16 years with American Airlines. I worked hard and prepared for my interview for months before applying. Every airline I interviewed for offered me the position. I have an article that will help you immensly with the process. It is on AssociatedContent.com After you log on to the sight there will be a section of articles on the left to choose from--click on the travel section. Once you have done that--about half way down on the right side of the page you will see a search. Just type in the title, "So you want to be a flight attendant", and the article will come right up for you. I think it will make a world of difference for anyone who wants the position but does not know alot about what is looked for and does not know how to interview well for the job.
I hope you all find it helpful

Sincerely,
Bridgette Gilchrist
bridgettegilchrist@hotmail.com

Thank you Bridgette for that info. I have two more quiestion.I went to a group interview for skywest. They did not pick me and told the people thatinterviewed that they had to wait 6mouths to interview agin, but then contacted me and told me to go head and interview agin that i didnt have to wait 6mouths is that comen or do you think i cought there eye out in some way and want me to interview and hier me? Also whay is the best air line to work for?

Andi in Saint Louis, Missouri

84 months ago

ianne in Cavite, Philippines said: hi! im a tourism student! i read bout your suggestion how to be a flight attendant! my problem is... i dont have a beautiful teeth! but... i dont have a bad breath, what should u do? pls help me! i plan to be a flight attendant after i graduated

Hi everyone,
I'm currently working on my PhD and I'm working with an airline company to develop a realistic job preview. I've read lots of positive aspects of being a flight attendant, but I have also read lots of negative aspects of the job. I was wondering if there are any current flight attendants reading this that would be able to help give me some insight into how you cope with those negative aspects. Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!

yvonne foggie in Charlotte, North Carolina

84 months ago

anybody ever work for psaairlines as a flight attendants? is that a good airlines to work for and how good is the paid?

Justyna in Prospect Hts, IL in Wilmette, Illinois

84 months ago

HI
I have been reading all the informations on this forum and I found it very interesting. I truly believe and I have been thinking about being a flight attendant for a long time. But I was wondering If there are any schools here in Chicago that anybody can recommend. Thank you ...

84 months ago

NEVER EVER attend a school to become a flight attendant. All the airlines have their own training school and they pay YOU to attend. Most airlines prefer NO previous FA experience so they can train you THEIR way.

Before considering this career (job). Please, please, please read all you can on the effects to your health in this occupation! This is a high risk job, long hours and very very little pay.

Justyna in Chicago, Illinois

84 months ago

wow I am surpised. I mean I thought that It is a good paid job , of course I am aware about the risk however never expected any heath effects. I know every job has advantages and disadvantages the only thing is if you like your job or not. I defenately dont want to do sth I dont like just like everybody. Thanks for information about the school!!! If you have any other informations and feeling about FA pleaaase share with me before I am gonna start take action in that field. Than you sooo much

84 months ago

I've been an FA for about 10 yrs. I was constantly catching viruses and infections from both the passengers, the aircraft and the hotel rooms. Most of us get 1 or 2 sinus infections a year. It's pretty miserable flying with a sinus infection.

My last one was so bad it spread to the bones in my face and I had water pressure on the brain. I went into septic shock and had a heart attack in the hospital. The infection had caused damage to my lungs and heart.

I know several FA's that are on disability for more than a year now because of different infections. This is serious, please read up on it.

FA's are NOT well paid. You start at about $14,000/yr and $24,000 after five years and around $30,000 at ten yrs. You Must have a second source of income to live decent.

The first year or so you are on 'reserve' and you will be working all the time and hardly ever see home. It is hard work and a big sacrifice for such little pay.

It's not a job - it's a lifestyle and not for the faint of heart. This 'job' has changed dramatically from a decade ago. The high paid FAs with lots of days off are the ones that fly for major airlines and have been doing it for at least 25 years.

Jane in Saint Louis, Missouri

84 months ago

So, how do you deal with these issues? It doesn't sound it's an easy job to do...how do you do it?

BARBI in Ljubljana, Slovenia

84 months ago

-= SkY =- in Manila, Philippines said: 1 you must have a good communication skills in english, clear skin, and being helpful to passengers in short its like a baby sitters job only being nice to all 400 passengers at all times,thats all you need and also good set of teeth ^_^

I COMPLETLY AGREE

Justyna in Mount Prospect, Illinois

84 months ago

ok, but how can you deal with the health proplems. it sounds very serious..?

84 months ago

All I can tell you is what my doctor told me. Wash your hands and use antibacterial solutions as much as possible, get plenty of rest, and eat healthy to keep your immune system strong. But, until you can hold your breath for an entire flight, you will always be at risk. Bottom line, if your desire to be a flight attendant is stronger than your desire to stay healthy then it is your choice. It's a gamble. Some FA's never get seriously ill and others do. Are you a gambler? Personally, I believe the poverty pay and long hours are not worth it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sara in Brooklyn, New York

84 months ago

I have braces and am interviewing with American Egale...does anyone feel that will be a problem?????

Anne in Arvada, Colorado

84 months ago

mj said: i think it's a good sign if they had you take the drug test. how long ago did you iterview? was it in atlanta? how did you language test go? that is key. are you fluent in hebrew? i know they want people who are fluent or native speakers. good luck to you, jacob!

I am going to be taking a language test with Delta Airlines . Can you please advise whether it will be written or verbal test and any idea what it will consist of? Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

buddhagirl in west coast

84 months ago

Anne in Arvada, Colorado said: I am going to be taking a language test with Delta Airlines . Can you please advise whether it will be written or verbal test and any idea what it will consist of? Thank you.

Hi Anne,
I just took the lang test. It is conducted over the phone, well at least the initial test is. I have no knowledge about other tests, I think there are written ones as well, if you pass the oral. It was very fast paced and they asked questions about all different topics. One question was about why people decide to be vegetarians. Also, do you like to garden and why? It was so random (in my opinion). Good luck.

bonbons in Schaumburg, Illinois

84 months ago

-= SkY =- in Manila, Philippines said: 1 you must have a good communication skills in english, clear skin, and being helpful to passengers in short its like a baby sitters job only being nice to all 400 passengers at all times,thats all you need and also good set of teeth ^_^

This is a typical filipino trait. I cannot believe that they actually require "good teeth" and "clear skin" to be a flight attendant. Although I posses both traits, I still find this mentally rather stupid. I am a filipina and I am so sick of how everyone back in the country are so narrow minded and superficial. My boyfriend just laughed when he saw that silly requirement. Maybe if people over there stopped being shallow and narrow minded, then we could probably shave off some of the dirt that's coating our culture.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

brianna in Westphalia, Indiana

84 months ago

ATL FA in Marietta, Georgia said: I've been an FA for about 10 yrs. I was constantly catching viruses and infections from both the passengers, the aircraft and the hotel rooms. Most of us get 1 or 2 sinus infections a year. It's pretty miserable flying with a sinus infection.

My last one was so bad it spread to the bones in my face and I had water pressure on the brain. I went into septic shock and had a heart attack in the hospital. The infection had caused damage to my lungs and heart.

I know several FA's that are on disability for more than a year now because of different infections. This is serious, please read up on it.

FA's are NOT well paid. You start at about $14,000/yr and $24,000 after five years and around $30,000 at ten yrs. You Must have a second source of income to live decent.

The first year or so you are on 'reserve' and you will be working all the time and hardly ever see home. It is hard work and a big sacrifice for such little pay.

It's not a job - it's a lifestyle and not for the faint of heart. This 'job' has changed dramatically from a decade ago. The high paid FAs with lots of days off are the ones that fly for major airlines and have been doing it for at least 25 years.

okae you just ruined my dreams what a dumb thing to say

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

buddhagirl in west coast

84 months ago

Wow, thanks for your insight. I am sorry that you were so sick. That does not sound fun at all. I hope you are well now.

Just a quick note to those who are interested in this career...keep in mind that this is one persons experience. If someone you do not know ruined your dreams, than maybe it was not one worth pursuing.

Also, the reserve thing...is different for each airline. Much more tolerable with Delta.

ATL FA in Marietta, Georgia said: I've been an FA for about 10 yrs. I was constantly catching viruses and infections from both the passengers, the aircraft and the hotel rooms. Most of us get 1 or 2 sinus infections a year. It's pretty miserable flying with a sinus infection.

JB in Bradenton, Florida

83 months ago

rajaa amsrouy in Rabat, Morocco said: my name is rajaa im from morocco i have 21 years old
rajaa

Rajaa,
you need to look at Emirates from Dubai and the other Middle Eastern carriers.
They recruit quite a lot of Arabic girls as most of you are bilungual.
Good luck.
JB

pattycake in Jacksonville, Florida

83 months ago

Bridget,
I just read your article! Thank you so much, you are truly an inspiration. I interviewed with ASA last week, took the drug test, eye test, physical, agility test and passed them all. Just waiting on the phone call now. Your article will help greatly!!

firmly grounded in Marietta, Georgia

83 months ago

hi patty, good luck with ASA. i'm one of hundreds of fa's that bailed that company after several years with no contract and too much abuse. the fa's are leaving faster than they can be replaced which has caused many flights to be cancelled. those that remain are working more flights than ever to pick up the slack. i hope you have a fat savings acct because you won't make much $ the first 5 yrs or so. trust nobody - not the union reps, supervisors and even many co-workers. keep yr comments to yrself and you'll be fine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

firmly grounded in Marietta, Georgia

83 months ago

brianna in Westphalia, Indiana said: okae you just ruined my dreams what a dumb thing to say

sorry if i ruined 'your dreams.' "what a dumb thing to say?" i'm trying to spare others my fate - limping with a cane and using a rescue inhaler!

my neighbor avoided catching what we now call 'aircraft plague' for over 25 yrs! her infection spread to her heart and she's on a donor list now. it is not 'dumb' to warn others of a potential risk.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.