Top flight attendant skills needed to get the job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 200 of 203)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

flight-bound earthling in Chicago, Illinois

80 months ago

I will be hitting my one year mark come this May. With the way the economy is going and gas prices continously rising, I am sitting on the fence on whether or not I want to continue on as a FA.

For those aspiring to become one, please understand that it is definately not a job or a career. It is definately a 'type of lifestyle'. It's an industry where SENIORITY reins over everything -- it dictates where and when you fly and when you are traveling for pleasure (on days off), whether or not you will get on a plane.

While the pay is crappy for the first 5-8 years, depending on what airline you fly for, where can you find a job where you can get anywhere from 2 days to more than a week OFF, travel the world for pennies, and make friends all over the world? But at the same time, you are away from home long periods of time, work days can consist of 10-14 hour duty days(6 days in a row!), and you can be stuck in a metal tube anywhere from 1 to 15 hours, 35,000ft in the air. Can you handle? There are definately trade-offs. For those of you wanting to be FAs and visting blogs such as this are on the right track, I would like to think.

But what better way to know than to actually do, right? I say go for it and find out for yourself. It is definately an experience of a lifetime and I don't regret doing it at all. I, myself, visited sites like this before applying and did it anyway. In May 2007, I got my chance to make the world my own. Even though come May will mark my 'one year anniversary', I definately understand now what the "travel bug bite' is all about.... I'm now looking to find another job...more so a career in which I can advance... and I'm having a difficult time coming to terms that I will eventually have to give up flying...as a profession.

Some tips I can give those of you who are interviewing:

Smile, smile, smile and be SINCERE about it. Be professionally dressed and polished to the nines! G'Luck and see you in the air!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Laura in Royal Center, Indiana

80 months ago

As any other hopefull on this site, i have just started the application process. I have done pageants so I'm nervous with the interview section that I may sound to "pageanty", I've been told that on interviews, but still was offered a job. so hope for the best...Right?
Does any one recommend specific companys to apply to, and who NOT to work for?
I know some of them have unpaid training for 6wks. Has any one done that and if so HOW?!
Let me know your advice!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bridgette in Northbrook, Illinois

80 months ago

there are alot of great airlines to apply for right now. Continental is hiring, United, Delta and Northwest. They will pay for your training. If you want to be a corporate flight attendant you have to pay for your own training which is about 3000 big ones. The pay is twice as much though and the work is alot more fun than commercial flying. Corporate flying is working on lear jets with the rich and flying to fabulous destinations. It's a very competative workforce though. People are realizing that the corporate flying is much better than flying for a commercial airline.
Don't worry about your pageant answers for goodness sakes!! It's ok--just be yourself. I am a retire flight attendant of 16 years at American. I wrote an article on Associated.com and it thoroughly explains the interviewing process. Go to this website and type in "So you want to be a flight attendant?" It will come up. If you have problems let me know! Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Hamza in Marysville, Washington

80 months ago

Hi Rajaa
I am hamza from Morocco but right now I am in the US for my senior year
I would like to ask you some questions about the Flight Attendant Center in Rabat
this is my email
hamza_seattle@hotmail.com
thanks a lot

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

nehdi_kiarsi in Tehran, Iran, Islamic Republic of

78 months ago

Host said: What are the top 3 traits or skills every flight attendant must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your flight attendant expertise?

HI. YES IM SURE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

Jane in Hunua, New Zealand said: Hi there

Can you please name some of the attitudes a flight attendant must have when serving customers. I know to be friendly and caring would be one of the attitudes but what else.

THIS IS MEHDI KIRSI I WOR FOR AIR (EXAMPLE) CANADA

78 months ago

Michele in Manama, Bahrain said: You need to be able to carry yourself with an air of total calm & control at all times. This doesn't mean being an ice princess, but being able to keep your emotions & feelings under control at all times. This can be done with a smile & of course the tone of your voice. I am 26years old have been flying now for over 6 yrs in commercial, charter & VIP charter flying. There will be days when you will love your job & days where the loneliness, passengers and not to mention your work colleques, may just seem too much. Passengers can be wonderful people & at other times total monsters. During all these times you need to keep an almost oscar winning performance of calmness & understanding. Be compassionate, but remember you are also a human doing a sometimes inhumane job. Don't let anyone treat you otherwise. If they do, make it know, but do it with a smile and an air of sofistication. That way you will never be accused of being rude. I have also been faced with a few emergencies in my time. From engine fires & hydrolic failure, to cracked windscreens & dying passengers. Keeping my composure has always helped both my passengers & myself in keeping a cool head & doing my job 100%. These qualities have helped me to enjoy every aspect of being a flight attendant & have helped me gain a name in my short time in this industry as a professional. This in turn has given me the chance to enter into promotions & jobs ahead of my age & experience. I have been flying with ladies who have been in this career for over 45years & if there is one bit of wisdom they have given me that I can share with you it's this. Make the most of this job, remember to make time for yourself, friends & family & above all wear the uniform with pride, sofistication, intelligence & class. What other job requires you to be a care giver, nurse, firefighter, waitress, barman, cook, mother, wife, sister, public relations officer, marketing rep, negotiator and beauty queen

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mehdi_kiarsi in Tehran, Iran, Islamic Republic of

78 months ago

mj said: That sounds good! Have you heard anything from them? What was their interview like? What language test did you take with Delta? Have a good day!
MJ

THANX SAME TO YOU

Mehdi_kiarsi in Tehran, Iran, Islamic Republic of

78 months ago

mj said: did you get hired by delta or continental express? that's great!!!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH SIE!
BYE

Allisin in Maiden, North Carolina

75 months ago

i am working on a travel project and i need to no what skills u need to be a flight attendant and you are stupid if you think that i am getting in a plan ttyl.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

t in London, United Kingdom

75 months ago

mj said: did you get hired by delta or continental express? that's great!!!!

What skill are needed???

dale in Gloversville, New York

72 months ago

just put on a real good show at the interview!everyone who flies knows how phony they are!

mike in Montreal, Quebec

72 months ago

Im a flight attendant for a year now!!! I do not recommend this Job to no one. First of all you get sick all the time because there is so much germs. 2nd of you get rude people that will scream at you, people who vomit all kinds of discusting thing happens. And second of all where so underpaid.

Oh yeah and did you know that flying is really bad for your health.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

RJ in Chicago, Illinois

72 months ago

mike in Montreal, Quebec said: Im a flight attendant for a year now!!! I do not recommend this Job to no one. First of all you get sick all the time because there is so much germs. 2nd of you get rude people that will scream at you, people who vomit all kinds of discusting thing happens. And second of all where so underpaid.

Oh yeah and did you know that flying is really bad for your health.

Yes and why is it that so many flight attendant gain so much weight when they first start flying everyone gets fat.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Daisy Sengebau in Palau, Palau

72 months ago

Hi,peoples!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm only a Freshman but my dream is to be a Flight Attendant someday. Because I really luv traveling and I want to go to different places aroung the world. Also I don't have any family members as a Flight Attendant so I want to a try a different Path. Can you tell me what courses or what college should I go to? Please.....

mike in Chicoutimi, Quebec

72 months ago

Im a flight attendant myself. You really dont need any education. If ever you go to an interview I can inform you what to say.

Daisy Sengebau in Palau, Palau

72 months ago

Well danx!!!!! I'll keep that in mind. I will keep in touch.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

xester in Morocco

67 months ago

rajaa amsrouy in Rabat, Morocco said: my name is rajaa im from morocco i have 21 years old
im graduated from center of flight attendant and i was working in travel agency as assistante
im beautifull, active , dynamic
i speek arab frensh english . I weigh 52 kg my size 160 cm
I have all qualities to be a flight attendant
thank you to answer me as soon as possible
rajaa

Hi Rajaa, i think i can help you to find a job as a flight attendant, just give me your mail and your number phone, in this time our company need a profile like yours, if you are interested reply quickly with your informations, good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Nicole G in Fairmont, West Virginia

66 months ago

How often do flight attendants get drug tested?

Bridgette in Northbrook, Illinois

66 months ago

Flight attendants get drug tested at least once a year. It's random testing so sometimes if you get tested, your name, for some unknown reason, keeps popping up and you could be tested like 3 times in one month. You just never know. So, don't ever eat poppy seeds, they show up as heroin and make sure if you are taking a prescription medication that is not approved by your airline, you let your superviser know the reason so that they can approve it due to circumstances in your health. You usually never have a drug test unless it is at the end of your trip at your home base. I hope that helps!

Meg in Thomasville, North Carolina

66 months ago

I just put in an application as a Delta ticket agent. What does the physical agility test involve?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Iguanalegal in Orem, Utah

66 months ago

mike in Chicoutimi, Quebec said: Im a flight attendant myself. You really dont need any education. If ever you go to an interview I can inform you what to say.

can you please inform me? i applied for a position as flight attendant, and i have a group interview on the 29th, i would really like to know the most i can to be prepared, specially on what to expect and say? thank you, my email is iguasolandia7@hotmail.com... i would really appreciate it!..... also another question, is it true that guys who apply for the position have good chances to get the position since most applicants are ladies?

H416 in Los Angeles, California

64 months ago

Hey, I'm applying for one of the international airlines out of the middle east and I'm running into one of those questions that would certainly never be found on an American application: what is your religion? Folks, how do you answer this one? Of course the airline is based in a mostly Muslim country and I am not Muslim. Do they tend to use this against you? What are your experiences? Advice?

melly in Montreal, Quebec

62 months ago

Hi everyone ,

i worked for a seasonal position as a flight attendant in 2007 and now applied and get interviews for two canadian compagnies , the first one sent an email saying that they didnt take me , the second still waiting for an answer training should start november 2nd.

I really want to work again as a flight attendant if anyone can help

im 28 yers good looking 5'5 , 135lb

/,.;k in La Mesa, California

62 months ago

dcgs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

kellycrabb in Sugar Land, Texas

61 months ago

Wow! This was so well written! I enjoyed reading it!

Interviewing with JetBlue currently...

Sweetcheeks111 in Gastonia, North Carolina

54 months ago

Hello Everyone just wanted to give out a few tips to becoming a F/A. I was a F/A for 10 yrs with a major carier and am in the process in accepting a job as a Inflight Supervisor. Here are a few tips for getting the job!!.

FIRST INTERVIEW:
1. Dress very conservative when going for a first interview. (Please try not to look like everyone in the room but have your own flare/style)
2. Smile a lot. (they are watching you from the time you come in the door until you leave)
3. When they ask you "Why do you want to be a F/A" DO NOT SAY because I love to fly and work with people!! this will surely send you sailing.
4. Most Airlines look to hire F/As that have other experience such as people that have worked with a diverse population and can handle conflict resolution.
5. Be on Time!!!!!!!!
6. Try and mingle with EVERYONE in the room this shows you have interpersonal skills.
7. Try not to be too nervous.
8. Do not act overly eager to be there but remain calm and laid back.
9. Take your time answering questions and if you have to get in front of the group to tell about yourself start talking about school then move to your previous job. Example- I attended UNC-Charlotte with a degree in Business and then I began working at ............. Do not go back further than 10yrs.
10. Enjoy the day!!! It is your time to shine. If you are lucky and get called back to a second interview:
1. Make sure you do heavy research on the Airline such as who the Pres. is etc.
2. Make sure you practice questions related to prior behavior. This is called Behavior Interviewing and they will give you scenarios to follow make sure you stay with the STAR practice of answering them (SITUATION,TASK,ACTION,RESULT)
GOOD LUCK to everyone!!!!!

Little Bunny in Udine, Italy

53 months ago

I'd really become a F/A I speak italian, slovenian, english, german, russian and spanish , I'm 1.76 cm and 64kg . The other say I'm good looking

hardtilltheend in Casablanca, Morocco

53 months ago

hiiii ladies and gentlemen !! i jus' wanna know if the CCFA flight attendent school in marrakech is a niiice schoool because i'm so interested in it !! pliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiz i'm so interested in it !!! thnx fr your consideration !!

HELLO in Brooklyn, New York

52 months ago

xester in Morocco said: Hi Rajaa, i think i can help you to find a job as a flight attendant, just give me your mail and your number phone, in this time our company need a profile like yours, if you are interested reply quickly with your informations, good luck!

Hello, my name is Raul Rodriguez, and I would like to work as flight attendant, my email is raul.rodriguez@ritz.edu

greetings

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluuuuuuuu in Astoria, New York

49 months ago

Anne in Arvada, Colorado said: I am going to be taking a language test with Delta Airlines . Can you please advise whether it will be written or verbal test and any idea what it will consist of? Thank you.

Hey,

I just did my first interview today and I passed. After i complete the application i was told i would have to do a language test. So, being curious as I am (lol) i asked what the test would be like. I was told it would be both over the phone and written on the computer. :)) good luck, i know my reply is late but hopefully this would help anyone else applying! :)

Ney in Teresina, Brazil

48 months ago

How many languages is necessary to know for somenone be a flight attendent and do internacional flights?

Bill in Montreal in Longueuil, Quebec

46 months ago

Hi Melly!

We're looking for 6 month contract F/As, based YOW flying overseas. If you're still available, send me an e-mail. wsair@videotron.ca

melly in Montreal, Quebec said: Hi everyone ,

i worked for a seasonal position as a flight attendant in 2007 and now applied and get interviews for two canadian compagnies , the first one sent an email saying that they didnt take me , the second still waiting for an answer training should start november 2nd.

I really want to work again as a flight attendant if anyone can help

im 28 yers good looking 5'5 , 135lb

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

elias7742 in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina

43 months ago

Hi, I just got hired as a gate agent for Delta Airlines, and my dream is to become a flight attendant. I have over 6 years of experience in the food and beverage industry, and have practically dealt with every situation you could think of, and I still love it. I'm 5'5" and weight 120 pounds, and im almost 21 years old. Ive applied to 7 different airlines for flight attendant positions, but still no call back. I was wondering if anyone on this thread knows, if being a gate agent will help my chances in becoming a flight attendant?

beachgal in Baltimore, Maryland

43 months ago

elias7742 in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina said: Hi, I just got hired as a gate agent for Delta Airlines, and my dream is to become a flight attendant. I have over 6 years of experience in the food and beverage industry, and have practically dealt with every situation you could think of, and I still love it. I'm 5'5" and weight 120 pounds, and im almost 21 years old. Ive applied to 7 different airlines for flight attendant positions, but still no call back. I was wondering if anyone on this thread knows, if being a gate agent will help my chances in becoming a flight attendant?

YES! Definitely.

JettingtoMars in US, Virgin Islands

43 months ago

elias7742 in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina said: Hi, I just got hired as a gate agent for Delta Airlines, and my dream is to become a flight attendant. I have over 6 years of experience in the food and beverage industry, and have practically dealt with every situation you could think of, and I still love it. I'm 5'5" and weight 120 pounds, and im almost 21 years old. Ive applied to 7 different airlines for flight attendant positions, but still no call back. I was wondering if anyone on this thread knows, if being a gate agent will help my chances in becoming a flight attendant?

Remember, it can help but the catch is, you still have to attend flight attendant training which is several weeks long and requires anywhere from 80-90% passing score to actually get the job. You can get hired on and referred to, so on and so on. But if you go to flight attendant training and don't pass, that's it.

The things I always asked myself before I just got into this passion and wanting to be a flight attendant, is can I study study and learn all this stuff in a short period of time? Can I put myself through yearly training and stay on top of the stuff i'm trained to do? Can I work from such a low wage and work the way up the ladder whether it's one airline or moving onto another years down the road? All the questions you really need to ask yourself rather than can a job give you specific help towards getting a flight attendant job. It's quite complex and people think you just apply and become a FA, off to the skies you go, and it's a party free-for-all with travels city to city and live lavida-loca. Ha!

Emiliya in Brooklyn, New York

41 months ago

I would like to know is it necessary to go to flight school because ive heard if you just go to an airline like delta interview they can accept you if you fit them like good customer service,smile etc. Or you must have a certification fom a flight school in order to be an FA??

Melissa in Melbourne, Australia

41 months ago

I was thinking about becoming a flight attendant I show great skills in customer service due to my last two jobs but I'm very concerned I may not be able to get a Job in this profession due to my lack of being able to swim ? I was wondering if you think that they still could hire me? I'm willing to do lessons but should I do them before sending in a application or just send one in and see how I go ? Do they actually make you do a swim course or something on the lines of that before you do come a flight attendant ?

sunny sunshine in New Jersey

41 months ago

I promise you, you do not need to know how to swim in order to be a flight attendant. Swimming is not part of training. I don't think it would hurt to learn. One day you might have to evacuate a plane full of people in water.

teacher in Rabat, Morocco

41 months ago

Hello.
I am a teacher of English ready to help people with interviews for the job of flight attendants and aviation in general.If you have an average knowledge of English and a strong willingness to be a flight attendant just contact me.No need to enroll in a PNC school !!!If you have an intention to apply for these jobs with gulf air companies feel free to send me information about you and your project .
NB. I am in Rabat teaching in flight attendants' schools
My email address is teach.flight.attendant@gmail.com
Thank you and good luck.

teacher in Rabat, Morocco

41 months ago

[Hello.
I am a teacher of English ready to help people with interviews for the job of flight attendants and aviation in general.If you have an average knowledge of English and a strong willingness to be a flight attendant just contact me.No need to enroll in a PNC school !!!If you have an intention to apply for these jobs with gulf air companies feel free to send me information about you and your project .
NB. I am in Rabat teaching in flight attendants' schools
My email address is teach.flight.attendant@gmail.com
Thank you and good luck.

pjs in Cabuyao, Philippines

39 months ago

I'm married and plan to apply as a flight attendant. I'm afraid that I'm not qualify because of my status. if in case,do they still hire me?

pjs in Cabuyao, Philippines

39 months ago

hello
I'm married and plan to apply as a flight attendant. I'm afraid that I'm not qualify because of my status. if in case,do they still hire me?

sal in Elk Grove Village, Illinois

34 months ago

all u people r dumb

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Malia in Lake Jackson, Texas

34 months ago

Being a FA is not the best thing in the world...I did it for 3 years and its all about seniority...You don't get to pick your own schedule or where you want to go. The hours are long, the people are rude, and just never get enough sleep....

skye mitchell in Perth, Australia

32 months ago

hi everyone im 16 and wonting to be flight attendant im so nervous because there are so many people wonting to be flight attendants. i wanna get some tips of what i can do in the next 2 years to help me?

michael in Jakarta, Indonesia

29 months ago

wow, sounds amazing, i'll facing english test and psycology test tomorrow for domestic flight attendant position in my country, could you give me suggestion , what kind of test is that?

Jenny in Tempe, Arizona

27 months ago

Hi, i am a 23 vietnamese girl. I want to be a flight attendant. So i attend the airlne academy to get some experiment and training with the hope that i will get the job. I need some advise from all of you. Thank you

Cortney in Champlin, Minnesota

20 months ago

I have just turned 21 and I've always wanted to be a flight attendant. Ever since I can remember I have always absolutely loved flying. It is something I could see myself doing for the rest of my life. Any who, I recently decided to put my dream in action and have applied at different airlines. Would my age be a disadvantage to me? I feel as if I'm too young for them to take me serious?

avia11 in nyc, New York

20 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: 1. Looks and Figure
2. Communication Skills-
3. Customer Service Skills

Stupid and ignorant response....

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.