The Travel Academy in Minnesota?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 116)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Bri_rae in San Antonio, Texas

69 months ago

Has anyone graduated from the Travel Academy in Minnesota?
I'm about to graduate from high school this june, and have recently been thinking about applying there for this fall.

Do you have any useful information?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

WillFly4Fun in Wilmington, Delaware

69 months ago

Yes. I am a flight attendant, and I have worked for a few different airlines. In my opinion (and most others in the industry) the travel academy is a rip off! Most airlines don't care if you go to a travel academy. My advice to you is get to a job in face-to-face customer service (like waiting tables or retail) until you turn twenty. The reason I say that is because most airlines will not hire someone until they are twenty or twenty-one, although there are a few that will hire at nineteen. More importantly, that will give you the face-to-face customer service experience that they are all looking for. Flight attendants come from all different backrounds, but I've only ever met two that have graduated from one of those places. I would hate to see someone waste their money on a travel academy only to have a hard time finding a job because the industry is in the crapper. I will say that is an AMAZING job, and once you do it, you can't imagine doing anything else! Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

vishal in Irving, Texas

69 months ago

My advice is that to wait until you're 21, get some experience in customer service, airlines really look at that and base you're chances on hiring you on you're experience. By the time you're 21 and you have good 3-4 years of experience in customer service, any airline would hire you and provide you training at no cost to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Bri_rae in San Antonio, Texas

69 months ago

Thank-you so much for your insight. I appreciate it. I'll probably then go to community college to pass the time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Galitapr in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

52 months ago

I am 26 years old, a graduate of comunications. Wright now i work at Macys. I wanna become a FA but i dont know if i should applay directly to an airline or go to one of thous academy's. What should i do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Galitapr in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

51 months ago

yesturda october 2 2010 I recived my first call from Delta. Iwas realy exited. while i was answering a question the call was disconected. Today i check my file in the web site and it apperas as "wethdrew from consideration".I din't wethdrew my consideration. Now, what does this mean? does it mean that there not giving me a chance. I dont know where els to turn to because they din't give me any contact information. I have nothing. I feel so disapointed and i have a lot o questions and no one wil answer them. What do I do now?, cus every time that I think about it and the fact that im gonna have to work one more year in the place that im at, it jus makes me wan to cray.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

lchesh in Fremont, Nebraska

48 months ago

WillFly4Fun in Wilmington, Delaware said: Yes. I am a flight attendant, and I have worked for a few different airlines. In my opinion (and most others in the industry) the travel academy is a rip off! Most airlines don't care if you go to a travel academy. My advice to you is get to a job in face-to-face customer service (like waiting tables or retail) until you turn twenty. The reason I say that is because most airlines will not hire someone until they are twenty or twenty-one, although there are a few that will hire at nineteen. More importantly, that will give you the face-to-face customer service experience that they are all looking for. Flight attendants come from all different backrounds, but I've only ever met two that have graduated from one of those places. I would hate to see someone waste their money on a travel academy only to have a hard time finding a job because the industry is in the crapper. I will say that is an AMAZING job, and once you do it, you can't imagine doing anything else! Good luck!

My 27 year old daughter has recently just been accepted to the Travel Academy. Years of customer service. What would be a better alternative and why am I seeing these negatives when it has a A-plus rating with BBBureau? Any guidance you can give us would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

brambleton in Ashburn, Virginia

48 months ago

lchesh in Fremont, Nebraska said: My 27 year old daughter has recently just been accepted to the Travel Academy. Years of customer service. What would be a better alternative and why am I seeing these negatives when it has a A-plus rating with BBBureau? Any guidance you can give us would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

If you can withdraw, without a penalty, I would do so ASAP.

If your ultimate goal is to land a position with an airline, a travel school is a waste of time and money. You would be better off spending that money on an accredited university or college and earn credits in travel/hospitality or in another field altogether. You are hired by by airline based upon your presentation and demeanor at the F2F and also the experience you may have in frontline customer service. Airlines will then train you in the manner that fits their corporate culture.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Laken

48 months ago

lchesh in Fremont, Nebraska said: My 27 year old daughter has recently just been accepted to the Travel Academy. Years of customer service. What would be a better alternative and why am I seeing these negatives when it has a A-plus rating with BBBureau? Any guidance you can give us would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

I agree with Brambleton...it won't really score any points for her with airlines in general (at least in the US) and for some airlines it might even hurt her chances...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Why would it hurt her chances???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

WillFly4Fun in Wilmington, Delaware said: Yes. I am a flight attendant, and I have worked for a few different airlines. In my opinion (and most others in the industry) the travel academy is a rip off! Most airlines don't care if you go to a travel academy. My advice to you is get to a job in face-to-face customer service (like waiting tables or retail) until you turn twenty. The reason I say that is because most airlines will not hire someone until they are twenty or twenty-one, although there are a few that will hire at nineteen. More importantly, that will give you the face-to-face customer service experience that they are all looking for. Flight attendants come from all different backrounds, but I've only ever met two that have graduated from one of those places. I would hate to see someone waste their money on a travel academy only to have a hard time finding a job because the industry is in the crapper. I will say that is an AMAZING job, and once you do it, you can't imagine doing anything else! Good luck!

Since you are a flight attendant, can you give us some direction for 27 year old daughter, who has recently become accepted to the Travel Academy for Flight Attendant. I am getting negative feedback and would like to hear from your perspective

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Laken

48 months ago

lchesh in Fremont, Nebraska said: Why would it hurt her chances???

A couple of flight attendants and I just discussed it in casual conversation once, when I was looking to transition from being a gate agent to a flight attendant. Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that they would have to "re-train" her, so to speak, because every airline is different in its requirements and training. For example there are airlines who seem to try to avoid hiring flight attendants who have worked for other airlines, while there are airlines who seek them.

In any case, from what my F/A friends have told me, it won't enhance her chances at all. But in the end it's a personal decision, so you are doing right in trying to get as much feedback as possible.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

No I want your feedback, please. You have recruited??? HELP PLEASE. We are desperate

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

lchesh in Fremont, Nebraska said: Since you are a flight attendant, can you give us some direction for 27 year old daughter, who has recently become accepted to the Travel Academy for Flight Attendant. I am getting negative feedback and would like to hear from your perspective

I don't remember who I have replied to but I welcome all feedback that you are giving us. Chances of getting hired by applying on her own....27 years old, 5'4", 112 lbs., approx 15 years hostess and waitressing experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Laken

48 months ago

lchesh in Fremont, Nebraska said: I don't remember who I have replied to but I welcome all feedback that you are giving us. Chances of getting hired by applying on her own....27 years old, 5'4", 112 lbs., approx 15 years hostess and waitressing experience.

I should think she'd do quite well on her own. I'm in an awkward position as I've worked in the airlines for several years and know something about it, but I'm not an "insider" as far as F/A hiring...Brambleton is resident expert on that. ;)

With that kind of experience I think it's safe to say that she's good with people, has experience with placating irate customers, conflict resolution, etc.?

Does she speak any other languages perchance? That will also really increase her marketability. (I speak German, and from my own experiences I can tell you the airline will draw heavily on that if she does know another language). Delta is currently hiring LODs (Language of Destination flight attendants) for several languages. It is by no means a prerequisite, though. The vast majority of flight attendants are not bilingual. It just would give her an edge.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

She had three years of Spanish in High School, but also has her degree in Criminal Justice and has been currently working in the area of conflict resolution on a daily basis

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

In applying for a Flight Attendant on line, what is the secret in order to really stand out for consideration. My daughter filled out a basic on line app and was informed she was not the candidate they were looking for. What is the secret to get to the next step?

48 months ago

Key words like, SAFETY, SECURITY, TEAM WORK and CUSTOMER SERVICE.

You also must not hesitate on issues of relocation and being on reserve when asked on the phone.

No felonies, or DUIs. There will be a security and background check as well as continuous random drug and alcohol testing.

Education and continuous work record is helpful.

You stated that your daughter was a hostess and waitress and while that gives her lots of customer service, please remember that the F/A position is not a 'waitressing' job. Don't connect the two directly during interview as it would be a most definite NO. Remember safety first. We are required by law to be on passenger aircraft for a reason, otherwise we would have been replaced by vending machines already:) Check out the other actual forums for individual airlines, there are a bunch on Indeed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

chq fa in Chicago, Illinois

48 months ago

lchesh in Fremont, Nebraska said: In applying for a Flight Attendant on line, what is the secret in order to really stand out for consideration. My daughter filled out a basic on line app and was informed she was not the candidate they were looking for. What is the secret to get to the next step?

I don't think there really is a secret formula. Spell check the resume, make sure that it sounds good grammatically. highlight customer service and education. if she can, have her highlight any safety or customer service related skills in relation to current and past jobs. if there is an online questionare, make sure that she states that she is flexible and willing to relocate. An airline would reject your application if you say that you are not willing to relocate. Never answer any questions in regards to why you want to work for an airline "because I want to travel". There is plenty of information out on the forums as to what types of questions they ask in interviews. The key to a good interview is to be herself, be relaxed as possible, and be able to talk about her life/work experiences in a positive manner, especially how they relate to customer service, and above all, smile and show that you are interested. A travel academy won't help you at all in landing a job, just perhaps tell you a bit about the industry and customer service, which you can find all that information online. I've been hired by 3 different airlines as a flight attendant, and currently work as a flight attendant, and I've never been to a travel academy. The airlines hire based on what fits their company's culture. So, although someone would be an outstanding flight attendant for one company, they might not fit into the mold for another. Have her sign up at this website for information on who's hiring & general information. Don't pay for a subscription. www.airlinecareer.com/flight-attendant/ezine.htm?year=2011&issue=02

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

melissa_w in Saint Paul, Minnesota

48 months ago

My name is Melissa, and I am a recent graduate of The Travel Academy's 300 hour program. For those of you considering attending The Travel Academy, I had a great experience. The trainers helped us create resumes, cover letters, practice open house interview questions, had us come in dressed in our business suits for professional image checks to ensure we were fully prepared to interview with the airlines. One of the best features of the travel academy is that they have lifetime placement assistance. We also got hands-on experience at a flight attendant training facility in the Minneapolis area, where we got to go inside an actual aircraft, jump down the slide, learn how to operate the doors, and got hands on training with the emergency equipment. I thought it was a really helpful experience. It also allowed us to network with the airlines that used that facility, so that we could land flight attendant interview with them. One of the best things the travel academy does for you is to either bring airlines to the school to interview with the students, and they also work with airlines that will fly the students to their headquarters for interviews for free.
The first airline I applied to, somehow my application got lost in the system, and the placement director at the Travel Academy called the flight attendant hiring manager at Compass Airlines/Delta Connection to help me ensure an interview. This was the first airline I applied for (they hire at 18), and I was one of a few selected for a final interview. After I got the interview, I went into the Travel Academy, and the instructors helped me prepare for the questions I was going to be asked in the interview. I was offered the position at the end of the interview. I feel that if I didn't have the support of the school and the instructors, I wouldn't have had the confidence and tools necessary to land the job. Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions or concerns.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Bri_rae in San Antonio, Texas said: Has anyone graduated from the Travel Academy in Minnesota?
I'm about to graduate from high school this june, and have recently been thinking about applying there for this fall.

Do you have any useful information?

My name is Melissa, and I am a recent graduate of The Travel Academy's 300 hour program. For those of you considering attending The Travel Academy, I had a great experience. The trainers helped us create resumes, cover letters, practice open house interview questions, had us come in dressed in our business suits for professional image checks to ensure we were fully prepared to interview with the airlines. One of the best features of the travel academy is that they have lifetime placement assistance. We also got hands-on experience at a flight attendant training facility in the Minneapolis area, where we got to go inside an actual aircraft, jump down the slide, learn how to operate the doors, and got hands on training with the emergency equipment. I thought it was a really helpful experience. It also allowed us to network with the airlines that used that facility, so that we could land flight attendant interview with them. One of the best things the travel academy does for you is to either bring airlines to the school to interview with the students, and they also work with airlines that will fly the students to their headquarters for interviews for free.
The first airline I applied to, somehow my application got lost in the system, and the placement director at the Travel Academy called the flight attendant hiring manager at Compass Airlines/Delta Connection to help me ensure an interview. This was the first airline I applied for (they hire at 18), and I was one of a few selected for a final interview. After I got the interview, I went into the Travel Academy, and the instructors helped me prepare for the questions I was going to be asked in the interview. I was offered the position at t

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Melissa w,

Congratulations on your new position. Have you started training yet?

I'm sad that you had to pay $5,900!!!!

I question how the networking at the facility would land you an interview since, it does not work that way. Also, when you say that 'they' work with airlines that will fly the students to HQ for free, this is misleading. Airlines will fly you to interview if they are interested and it would not be because of any connection from a school. It's standard practice. If you look at the students that got positions, you'll notice that not a single one of them are F/As for a major airline. These regional positions are not coveted, pay extremely low and definitely do not need any prior interview coaching. I wouldn't want anyone else to waste their money but, if you are happy with your experience, then that is all that matters. Happy flying!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

brambleton in Ashburn, Virginia said: Melissa w,

Congratulations on your new position. Have you started training yet?

I'm sad that you had to pay $5,900!!!!

I question how the networking at the facility would land you an interview since, it does not work that way. Also, when you say that 'they' work with airlines that will fly the students to HQ for free, this is misleading. Airlines will fly you to interview if they are interested and it would not be because of any connection from a school. It's standard practice. If you look at the students that got positions, you'll notice that not a single one of them are F/As for a major airline. These regional positions are not coveted, pay extremely low and definitely do not need any prior interview coaching. I wouldn't want anyone else to waste their money but, if you are happy with your experience, then that is all that matters. Happy flying!

Brambleton:
Thank you very much, although I feel that the $,900 was well spent.
When I say that the school works with airlines, what that means is that the recruiters call our school to find out our graduation dates and how many students are interested in interviewing for their airline. At that time, they either fly their recruiters here or they fly the students to them. I'm not sure what airline you work for, but not all airlines provide transportation to prospective employees. We DO have students from my class, including Lori D., that is currently in the interview process with Delta. We have a trainer who was formerly a FA trainer for NWA for 17 years, and we had several FA guest speakers come in from Delta to speak to our class and help us prepare. Perhaps The Travel Academy is not for everyone, but I think that perspective students should be careful who they take advice from, especially when the person has never been to my school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

I'm glad that it worked out for you. Good luck in training.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

melissa_w in Saint Paul, Minnesota said: but I think that perspective students should be careful who they take advice from, especially when the person has never been to my school.

I think that perspective students should be VERY careful where they spend their money and LISTEN to current line flight attendants instead of the propaganda from a for-profit business, and someone who has not actually flown as a flight attendant, particularly for a major one.

Why would any F/A come on here to dissuade anyone from attending this or any other travel school if it was truly helpful. Seriously.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

JetNYPDBlue in Holbrook, New York

48 months ago

Do not pay anyone to pre-train you for the airlines. If the airline wants you to work for them, they will train you THEIR way.

xxcodixx in Bangor, Maine

48 months ago

My name is Codi, and I am a recent graduate of The Travel Academy's 300 hour program from November of 2010. For those of you considering attending The Travel Academy, I had a great experience. I had amazing room mates and mad awesome friends with my class mates as well, was sad to see us leave each other...The teacher there helped us create resumes, cover letters, practice open house interview questions, had us come in dressed in our business suits for professional image checks to ensure we were fully prepared to interview with the airlines. One of the best features of the travel academy is that they have lifetime placement assistance. We also got hands-on experience at a flight attendant training facility in the Minneapolis area, Pan-am. Where we got to go inside an actual aircraft, jump down the slide, learn how to operate the doors, and got hands on training with the emergency equipment. I thought it was really helpful experience. It also allowed us to network with the airlines that used that facility, so that we . One of the best things the travel academy does for you is to either bring airlines to the school to interview with the students, and they also work with airlines that will fly the students to their headquarters for interviews for free.

The first Company I had sent a resume to was Compass Airlines. I got an envite only email to attend an open house with them. I was very excited to do so. They hire at age 18. Even though I had my mind set out to become a flight attendant I set out on a an adeventure to go to a open house in San Diego, California with Norweigan Cruise Line. After studying the cruise industry I would not mind working with them. I then had a face to face interview with a lady there. And the following week got the job. So I now work for Nowrweigan Cruise Line. I did not attend the Compass Airlines open house because I had gotten the job with NCL in Hawaii. Currently awaiting to set sail :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ericlovestofish in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

48 months ago

This is so sad that these 'Academies' can take money from people like that. Now, if they gave a money back guarantee, I can see wasting a few weeks there.

Oh, I love the part where the recruiters would come to the school! That must be Mesa, they're desperate. Compass and Pinnacle might too, the turn-over there is great.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

I just want to elaborate that I'm not trying to argue with anyone's opinions. I am just stating the facts of what my experience was like, and obviously defending my school. It sounds to me like the people that are trying to give advice are speaking based on assumptions, not actual facts that they know about this school imparticular, or what airlines have hired the students. If students are having positive positive results with getting hired that they weren't able to achieve on their own, why are current flight attendants trying to sway potential students or say it's a scam, because it's definitely not. While I was in class, there were three airlines that came to our school to do interviews; that doesn't include all the airlines that were hiring our students outside of class. Some were also charter airlines and international airlines that hired our grads recently. It's really frustrating hearing all of this negative feedback from people who haven't even visited the school to see what it's all about, because I have seen so many success stories coming from the Travel Academy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

JetNYPDBlue in Holbrook, New York said: Do not pay anyone to pre-train you for the airlines. If the airline wants you to work for them, they will train you THEIR way.

This isn't a pre-training, all of the students know that they still have to go through each airline's FAA approved training; this course is meant to help those of us who maybe struggle at open house interviews when there are 50+ or 100+ people all competing for the same job.

I also want to add that not everyone that goes through the Travel Academy wants to work for a major airline; some of us prefer to be based at regionals closer to home, or work for charter airlines. After I attended the Travel Academy, I felt as though my opportunities were endless.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Please note the paragraphs written by Melissa and codi. The first paragraph is copy and paste with a few words and sentences changed to make it personal. The paragraph starts with, "For those of you considering...", and ends with ...and they also work with airlines that will fly the students..."

The second paragraph starts a personalized story with a different twist. This is the same writer, copy and paster who is defending this business. Why might you wonder?

Just ask any F/A that you might know personally and see what they say, okay?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Ericlovestofish in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Please note the paragraphs written by Melissa and codi. The first paragraph is copy and paste with a few words and sentences changed to make it personal. The paragraph starts with, "For those of you considering...", and ends with ...and they also work with airlines that will fly the students..."

The second paragraph starts a personalized story with a different twist. This is the same writer, copy and paster who is defending this business. Why might you wonder?

I can reassure you that it's not the same writer. She is actually a classmate of mine who was hired by Norwegian, and also had an interview with Compass. She also had a positive experience, and obviously just used my wording to defend the school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Ericlovestofish in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Please note the paragraphs written by Melissa and codi. The first paragraph is copy and paste with a few words and sentences changed to make it personal. The paragraph starts with, "For those of you considering...", and ends with ...and they also work with airlines that will fly the students..."

I know, and can spot plagiarism a mile away since I used to grade papers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

brambleton in Ashburn, Virginia said: I know, and can spot plagiarism a mile away since I used to grade papers.

This makes me question the testimonies on their site.

We used to use a few programs to detect plagiarism (turnitin, copyscape) that can check paragraphs, sentences, repeated forms of incorrect syntax and grammar. hmm...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

This isn't a debate; if you haven't attended this school, you have no idea what they do there. If you really want to speak to a credible source, feel free to go on the facebook page for the Travel Academy, and speak to the current students and graduates. I don't see why people think this is a scam, when there is so much information, and so much success coming from this program.

www.facebook.com/the.travel.academy

The fact that after a person graduates from this program and then gets lifetime job assistance is AMAZING. As long as the person who graduates is determined to get a job, and uses the tools that the school gives them, I can almost guarantee that a person will get hired in a position that they want. I think for the people who actually do take my advice and check out the school, they will be amazed by the amount of positive feedback they hear.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Flygirl65 in Blaine, Minnesota

48 months ago

brambleton in Ashburn, Virginia said: I know, and can spot plagiarism a mile away since I used to grade papers.

OK here you go..... No copy/paste, no plagerism.....
I am a very proud graduate of the Travel Academy. I spent my $5900 and at 45 years old with 6 kids that is a lot of money!! I would not trade what I learned there or the experience I gained for ANYTHING!! Everyone knows it is possible to become a flight attendant without the schooling, but this sure made it easier. They make sure you know what you are doing, tht you are prepared, and have each and every duck in it's spot in the row! I went to a couple of open house interviews prior to school and accomplished nothing, and left wondering why?
I have 30 years+ of customer service experience so it isn't wholly based on that. I can attest to the support that is given by the staff at The Travel Academy - they honestly care about and support their students. There were 4 airlines that came to the academy while I was there - 2 did interviews right there and the other 2 flew people to there headqarters. I interviewed with 2 at the school and was flown to Atlanta by the 3rd, out of those 3 interview, I was offered 2 Flight Attendant positions - I start my training this month. The best thing about the school is that it gives you an overall education of the Travel INDUSTRY - it opened many people in the class' eyes to many other options - some people who thought they wanted to do this found out they could do that, etc... I, myself, am not only going to be a flight attendant, I am also a home based travel agent thanks to the Travel Academy. I am putting my $5900 to good use. I would sugggest and recommend it to anyone and everyone I know including my own kids!! I gained not only an education, but I made some friends whom I know i will have for life! So stop being so negative about something you haven't even experienced.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

WOW, Harvard should have such a cult-like worship. This school sounds like God's gift to the travel industry! I'm in shock that none of my F/A friends have been trained by the Academy. Well $5,900 is an absolute steal, the tuition must be quadrupled immediately! I think I should attend too, and take a fee notes...now where is my pencil...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Eric -
Maybe you should stick with fishing. There is no "Cult" following, and each person, as far as I know, is entitled to their opinion (including you for some reason), I am not telling anyone to spend $5900 and go there, I am expressing my experience as I'm sure were the others who posted postives. I'm not so sure why you are so bitter.
I'm pretty sure there was a person several posts back asking for feedback about the Travel Academy, and we were just expressing our expeiences. And if you are a F/A I feel bad for the passengers who have to put up with your negativity on a daily basis.
All I know is that it was a positive experience for me, and I will leave it at that and let people make their own descision on what is right for them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

I just want you to know that there is a reason for the A+ rating - they are an excellent school. And no - your daughter does not "NEED" to go to any sort of schooling to become a flight attendant. But I can tell you with heartfelt honesty that, flight attendant interviews are NOTHING like interviewing for restaurants and retail. At The Travel Academy, we learned everything we needed to know to ace an interview. We created resumes taylored to airlines, prepared our 10 year history's which are required on every application. The placement director as well as a couple of the teachers were previously flight attendants and trainers so they know what you need to know. We practiced interview questions that were airline specific. We were taught to look and act as if we were what we wanted to become. We had a little advantage in my world because airlines came directly to the school and do interviews, no room full of 20 - 100 other people to compete against. There was 1 airline that hired immediately, and those people were finishing their flight training about the same time we were finishing school. It is up to you if you want to spend the $$, because no you don't really have to, I just feel it makes it easier. And I was offered positions with 2 different regional airlines, and am in the interview process with Delta, and I truly believe it wouldn't have happened had I not went to the school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Thank you flygirl for your mature answer to my question that originally started this entire "debate". Some comments are totally out of context and cruel. Could it be that this one particular individual is jealous of the pre-training that you were lucky enough to receive?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Tenisha in Bloomington, Minnesota

48 months ago

HI, I just wanted to write a comment and let people know that I could not have possibly acheived my goal of becoming a fight attendant without the help of The Travel Academy. I just graduated high school this past June and started The Travel Academy in September, from there I graduated on November 19th.Since then I have attained a job with Compass Airlines and I am currently training with them (mind you I am 18). There are few Airlines that hire at 18, but you have to give it all you have. The Travel Academy helped me with my interview questions and basic fundamentals of becoming a flight attendant. They also teach you about other areas of the travel industry such as; becoming a travel agent, tour guide, working on a cruise ship, and how to enter yourself into the travel industry. If there is anything else you may have questions or concern sabout you are more than welcome to go to their direct webesite at www.thetravelacademy.com or you can send me an email at born.2b.successful@hotmail.com I would be more than happy to discuss my experience with you and take you to The Travel Academy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

I appreciate your input. Sounds like a positive experience. I have been hearing nothing but negatives and was wondering if it were a waste of time/money.

48 months ago

Ichesh,
I only speak the truth. It is entirely up to each individual as to what they wish to do, and it isn't absolutely necessary to go to schooling to become a flight attendant. I personally found it a very positive experience and worth the money. I have my Cetificate and my Honors Certificate hung on my wall, and I smile every time I see it (at least until Monday, when I leave for training). Each person that I was in class with who applied themselves and wanted to go somewhere did, or is in the process. There were some who didn't and I know of a couple who regret not applying themselves, because they are paying for it now. It is a well rounded course, not just for flight attendants. There were people who went in with dreams of being a flight attendant and found other paths in the travel industry, such as cruise lines, travel agents and even gate agents (which I think is a good place to start if they aren't old enough to be a flight attendant, but want a foot in the door at an airline). The Travel Industry is much larger than even I knew, and am very grateful to The Travel Academy and their staff for opening up a whole big world for me.
Best of Luck on whatever you decide.

AAdams in Saint Paul, Minnesota

47 months ago

I came from the former USSR and always wanted to be a Flight Attendant and at the age of 33 my dream came true and I am currently a Flight Attendant with Pinnacle Airlnes who operate connection flights for Delta Airlines. What I enjoed about The Travel Academy is that the school and apartments were close to the Mall of America and also the student apartments had a gym and pool where I was able to spend time with my classmates. The apartments were convinienlty located just by the light rail station and it cost less then 2$ to get to the downtown Minneapolis. But as a girl I never wanted to go to any where else then the Mall of America. Some of the girls had a job at the Mall while they were at school so they spent their free time wisely.
I dont think that I would be able to handle an interview with the Airlines if I didnt attend The Travel Academy, because from day to day the teachers were helping us to build up the confidence by standing in front of the class and practicing interview questions and speaking in fron of the people.
Students considering going to The Travel Academy can be sure that thier money will be wisely spent.
Alfiya Adams
Flight Attendant Pinnacle Airlines

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

Thank you for helping us confirm that we have hopefully made the right decision. I have read so many negative comments that I was wondering if it would be a waste of time and money.

Best of luck to you

sara in Chicago, Illinois

47 months ago

I have 5 girlfriends whom all are flight attendants they all SCORED jobs with Delta, American, and United on their first try. Please note that that we all have a University Degree and were all in the same sorority. and any sorority or university club will always teach you the correct the ways to interview and more often than not they will know someone who knows someones else where you're trying to land a job. Furthermore all major companies have huge recruiting weeks at Universities and Colleges and even bring their own specialized "college recruiters". $5900 for a NON-Accredited vocational school that issues a piece of paper that FAA doesn't even require is a really bad waste of money, which can be much better spent at a community college or university, additionally once you become in involved in various clubs or organizations the networking is priceless.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

A university degree has already been received. A change in direction of life has prompted the attendance of the Travel Academy.

sara in Chicago, Illinois

47 months ago

additionally just to be frank-
if you're not cute and/or you have a poor vocabulary and/or a displeasing demeanor there is NO way a crappy travel school will help you land a job with a major airline! As there is no way any large respectable airline would place an unfortunate looking person with poor vocabulary on a plane which more often than not is made up of corporate executives. The next time you're on a plane look a the FA, they are very put together, nails done, hair done (very stylish), and they carry themselves well and with confidence, and honestly these are traits you either learn from your mother, your girlfriends, a sorority or a debutante school...... 5900 at a community college/university spent on Speech class, a Debate class, Literature, Business class, etc will better prepare someone, in addition to minoring in hospitality and joining a club, or honor society.
AND on a resume list all of your clubs, university alumni affiliations, honor society, sports (cheerleading is a bonus) etc, FA's are bound together just like a sorority, if you're a loaner forget it no major airline will hire someone they couldn't "depend" on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

chq fa in Chicago, Illinois

47 months ago

A college degree should be sufficient enough instead of wasting money on a travel academy to become a flight attendant. Those who have stated that they attended the travel academy have gone to the lowest paying regionals around, and most of them were fresh out of high school, except for 2 above who were older. At Pinnacle & Compass, the tuition is more than 1/3 of a year's salary for these 2 airlines, and most airlines don't pay you for training or provide your meals. Pinnacle makes you put down a deposit on your uniform during training. Both airlines would be likely to have their recruiters go to that particular travel academy because they both have bases in MSP, so there is little expense for them to go there. There are several major regionals that she should take a look at such as American Eagle (they open their application process randomly, so worth checking every day), Republic Airways which operates Republic Airlines, Shuttle America, and Chautauqua. Air Tran is posting opening and they will be merging with Southwest soon, so if she could get in there, she would be set. Her best bet would be to really read through her resume and have others critique it, even check to see if the local college would do that for her. Now, if it was major airlines like Delta, American, United, Southwest, Frontier, US Airways, AirTran coming to the academy looking for people, then that would be a different story. I've been in/out of the airline industry for the past 10.5 years as a flight attendant & passenger service agent. I've only met 1 person who went to a travel academy in California back when she was 18 & had limited English skills, and that was when I first started. I did leave the industry for a few years, but came back to it in the past 9 months. Delta is almost done with their hiring, and American & United might possibly be hiring towards the end of 2011 once all their furloughed employees are back. Frontier will be awhile, but she can check US Airways & Air Tran now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

Well you are absolutely all about vanity 101. Did you get rejected?
We're talking 5'4", 110 lbs, 27 years old, very "well put together". Dance squad, athletics, band, honors programs, top of the class, need I go on.....All American. Let's hear a reply to that? And what do you do???

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.