Travel Between bases possible? Honest Question!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Hrd1 in Jersey City, New Jersey

32 months ago

Question – Do Airlines allow you to travel to another base to work if you live near another base? Say I get the job and I report to work in TX. Am I allowed to travel from NJ to TX just to get to work on plane or do I HAVE to be near TX?

--Hear me out --

Say I want to apply for American airlines or one of the big airlines. I live Near Newark International airport. So I can go to any of the NYC airports + Newark by car. Yet I rarely see Job openings about Newark (Unless I am searching the wrong places!). There seems to a bunch in Texas and other states that are way to far away. Is relocating my only option at this point? BTW I am a 21 year old who is about to finish College (May 2013) and wants to become a flight attendant. My loans are over 30k and my plan was to hopefully become a flight attendant and give my entire paycheck to the government to pay off the loans in 2 years or so instead of 10+ years (min. payments). The only way this would work is if I don't pay rent/bills/food/gas/insurance. Luckily my parents have been gracious enough to offer that too me. Relocating would kill my chances of paying it off under 3 years because of the added financial burden.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Hrd1 in Jersey City, New Jersey

32 months ago

bump

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Halle45 in Minneapolis, Minnesota

32 months ago

Hrd1 in Jersey City, New Jersey said: Question – Do Airlines allow you to travel to another base to work if you live near another base? Say I get the job and I report to work in TX. Am I allowed to travel from NJ to TX just to get to work on plane or do I HAVE to be near TX?

--Hear me out --

Say I want to apply for American airlines or one of the big airlines. I live Near Newark International airport. So I can go to any of the NYC airports + Newark by car. Yet I rarely see Job openings about Newark (Unless I am searching the wrong places!). There seems to a bunch in Texas and other states that are way to far away. Is relocating my only option at this point? BTW I am a 21 year old who is about to finish College (May 2013) and wants to become a flight attendant. My loans are over 30k and my plan was to hopefully become a flight attendant and give my entire paycheck to the government to pay off the loans in 2 years or so instead of 10+ years (min. payments). The only way this would work is if I don't pay rent/bills/food/gas/insurance. Luckily my parents have been gracious enough to offer that too me. Relocating would kill my chances of paying it off under 3 years because of the added financial burden.

NO

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Not in Boston, Massachusetts

32 months ago

Well, if you don't live home, you'll have to pay for a room "somewhere" (crashpad or hotel) at your base, you can't wait on the street for Crew scheduling to call you... That being said, tons of flight attendants commute to work - it's easier once you have a line. Once in a while, you still need to get a room because your trip is starting too early in the morning to be there on time/returning too late to fly back home.

You might want to keep an eye on Delta, since they offer less reserve days (A days); and they do have a NYC base.

Also, I would take time to calculate how much will be left in your pocket after you pay for your meals, uniform, etc. Young flight attendants do not have a lot of leftover money, unless they get help from their spouse/parents. There is nothing wrong in wanting to pay your student loan as soon as possible, but doing it in 3 years instead of 2 isn't bad - and leaves you a little pocket money to enjoy the good sides of the job!

I think a few regionals are hiring in your area. Good luck.

Not in Boston, Massachusetts

32 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

hrd1 in Bronx, New York

32 months ago

Thank you guys for the replies !! I'll keep all that in mind

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.