Virgin America

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 11405)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

Joe in San Mateo, California

79 months ago

I just applied for the money but yeah, it would be great to do what you dream of doing...its your God given rite! Its stated in our constitution,"...pursuit of happiness..."! Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Antonio in Denton, Texas

79 months ago

Britney in Birmingham, Alabama said: Virgin America is not a European carrier. Google it.

Have an excellent weekend everyone!

AFA-CWA Says Airlines Future In Jeopardy

New DOT Ruling Puts Industry in the Hands of Foreign Competitors

Washington, DC - Last year, the Department of Transportation (DOT) rejected a foreign airline's bid to enter the U.S. aviation market because the airline, Virgin America, could not prove that it was owned and operated by U.S. citizens. Virgin America since resubmitted their application and today, the DOT said the airline succeeded in meeting the citizenship test. This decision comes just days before a controversial treaty between the European Union and the United States will be decided by European officials.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Antonio in Denton, Texas

79 months ago

Britney in Birmingham, Alabama said: Virgin America is not a European carrier. Google it.

"The DOT's decision today is nothing but a trade off to buy European approval of the US/EU treaty," said Patricia Friend, AFA-CWA International President. "But what everyone fails to realize is that this decision will set a deadly precedent and open the door to foreign competition in our aviation industry."

Like every decision that concerns the industry, it will be the aviation employees who ultimately deal with the effects. Once the market is open to foreign competition and foreign controlled airlines begin take off in the U.S., their success will come on the backs of current airlines and employees. For every job that is created, it will be at the expense of an existing job that will be lost due to increased competition.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Antonio in Denton, Texas

79 months ago

"The U.S. aviation market is one of the last, strong domestic industries that has not been invaded by foreign competition, yet our officials seems dedicated to destroying it. And through their shortsightedness, it will once again be the flight attendants and the rest of the middle class who suffer," said Friend.

In February, AFA-CWA made a direct appeal to its over 55,000 members urging a letter writing blitz to local and federal officials urging them to reject Virgin America's application and protect a recovering domestic aviation industry from foreign control.

AFA-CWA will have additional comments once the full report has been released.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Antonio in Denton, Texas

79 months ago

Virgin is a British carrier, no matter what you want to call it, and that's why U.S. airlines didn't want them in United States in the first place as well as the AFA.
I did Google it like you suggested !
Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Britney in Birmingham, Alabama

79 months ago

Antonio in Denton, Texas said: Virgin is a British carrier, no matter what you want to call it, and that's why U.S. airlines didn't want them in United States in the first place as well as the AFA.
I did Google it like you suggested !
Thanks

pretty dated article but its ok. you can be right. : ) congrats woo hoo! - now relax a little and gimme a smile! take the next train outta negativetown and go do something fun my friend! gotta love that tanacity though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Antonio in Denton, Texas

79 months ago

Britney in Birmingham, Alabama said: pretty dated article but its ok. you can be right. : ) congrats woo hoo! - now relax a little and gimme a smile! take the next train outta negativetown and go do something fun my friend! gotta love that tanacity though.

Dated? What do you mean by dated??? That is a fact, in black and white. You asked me to Google it, and I did, there's your result......Also Britney I would like to add that I am extremely relaxed, trust me, my life is very tranquil. I am always positive and smiling, and I don't live in negativetown either, but in Denton TX.
I have a steady life, a girlfriend, 4 dogs, friends, and lots of fun going on !!!!
I just believe what I see, and not just a Google search and some nice promises on a website, that's all !
If someone with more experience tells me I am steering in the wrong direction I usually take the advise, and look into it before making a judgment. But that's me !
Good luck with your Delta interview, hopefully they'll appreciate your sarcasm more than virgin !!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Antonio in Denton, Texas

79 months ago

Antonio in Denton, Texas said: Dated? What do you mean by dated??? That is a fact, in black and white. You asked me to Google it, and I did, there's your result......Also Britney I would like to add that I am extremely relaxed, trust me, my life is very tranquil. I am always positive and smiling, and I don't live in negativetown either, but in Denton TX.
I have a steady life, a girlfriend, 4 dogs, friends, and lots of fun going on !!!!
I just believe what I see, and not just a Google search and some nice promises on a website, that's all !
If someone with more experience tells me I am steering in the wrong direction I usually take the advise, and look into it before making a judgment. But that's me !
Good luck with your Delta interview, hopefully they'll appreciate your sarcasm more than virgin !!!!

Advice, not advise, sorry for the mispell !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Britney in Alabama

79 months ago

Antonio in Denton, Texas said: Advice, not advise, sorry for the mispell !

by dated I meant not current. Touché on the sarcasm

Antonio in Denton, Texas

79 months ago

Britney in Alabama said: by dated I meant not current. Touché on the sarcasm

Ok, got it. No hard feelings. Goodnight Britney, it was fun !!!

Norm in Portland, Oregon

79 months ago

Antonio-Wow, you sounded harsh. I worked for America West when they started up, and it was an amazing experience. I hope to do the same at Virgin America. To be honest, what I have personally experienced with all of the major U.S. airlines, while traveling to 6 continents, at least 6 times, and all over the USA, anyway...what I have experienced is a lack-luster sad decline in customer service, inflight service, attitude and passenger sensitivity. Unfortunately this experience almost always involved a senior burned out flight attendant. The hardest part of my flight attendant years were dealing with senior flight attendants. The chance to start at the beginning with an outstanding name like VIRGIN, is very appealing. Cheers to Britany..... I recommend working for a start up airline. The pay might be less, but the teamwork is amazing. I have flown Virgin Atlantic, and Virgin Blue, and was AMAZED at the level of service. My needs were anticipated and my expectations were surpassed, with a smile. Can't beat that. I hope next time you might be a little more of a gentleman with your advice. That would truly show where your heart is.

Good Luck Britany !!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Norm in Portland, Oregon

79 months ago

By the way.... to my knowledge, all U.S. Airlines have foreign investors, mostly they are foreign airlines.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tower Roader in Denver, Colorado

79 months ago

Are they currently hiring and if so, how soon are the training classes? Does anyone have dates?

Norm in Portland, Oregon

79 months ago

You call yourself a gentleman? Maybe you should re-read all of your words you have entered in this forum. Virgin America is operated by management that are US Citizens. Delta is partially foreign owned, with foreigners on the board of directors. Virgin America is just more than half US owned. The USA is a free market country. If Delta can't compete, then as you know, it is the survival of the fitest. Yes, these are my opinions, and I have done some research, and I am open minded, and it is my opinion that you sound from your writings like a typical east coast mentality dogmatic narrow minded flight attendant, that seems burned out, a victim of poor management at Delta, upset that you didn't have union representation during the Delta bancruptcy, unhappy with the world around you. I stand by my opinion. I would rather work for a start up airline than with the senior people at Delta that have given me such lousy service for years, on a regular basis. Maybe you need to open your eyes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Norm in Portland, Oregon

79 months ago

Also Antonio, you mentioned legacy carriers? Eastern and Pan Am were legacy carriers. They are NOT around. Sorry you haven't had any interest from airlines where you applied. Guess your attitude came through on the paper.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Norm in Portland, Oregon

79 months ago

United and Northwest operate hubs in Tokyo. Yes, american carriers in foreign countries. Delta had a hub in Frankfurt, Germany for a short while (it was part of what they bought from Pan AM). Your info is wrong. The US has a history of, and was the first country, to operate in a foreign country. Lets get our facts straight before we open our mouths and insert the entire shoe store....please...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Norm in Portland, Oregon

79 months ago

TWA and Braniff were legacy carriers also.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Britney in Alabama

79 months ago

Antonio in Chicago, Illinois said: You crack me up dude, no clue of what you say, no clue of what you read, no clue of what the fact are !!!! Let me ask you some questions, do you live in the US???? Are you American??? Who the hell are you to come here and insult people from certain geographical regions (i.e. East coast)??? So far you have just proved that you are a bitter arrogant clueless individual who holds grudges towards certain categories of people. All I have done instead was bringing a valid point on the table with real life issues and documentation from a legitimate source (AFA). You have only brought lots of useless comments without any backup, and just insults to various people including me of course. Use your time in better ways man, and stop bothering !!!!

Antonio - why do you feel the need to argue, and get so angry with people on a job forum. I can only assume that you are now doing this on purpose. Take the chip off your shoulder, stop being soooooooo defensive. You come across rude, bitter, insecure, arrogant and bratty. Not to mention misinformed to say the least. I assume that you have, at one point, been a flight attendant. This blows my mind. I hope your attitude toward co-workers and passengers didn't stink as much as it does here. You are the only person on here who doesn't think you're rude. It's kind of sad.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Norm in Portland, Oregon

79 months ago

Antonio:
Number 1-Get A Life
Number 2-AFA is not a reliable source to some people
Number 3-Get A Life
Number 4-Get Therapy

I have been in the travel industry for 26 years. I have been a flight attendant at 4 airlines. Delta discriminated against blacks and gays while I was in training, so I told them what I thought and quit training. I have been a flight attendant, station mananger, trainer, and contract negotiator. I know my information. I hope you find some peace buddy. Life is too short. I live in New York and know how east coast mentality works..... I don't claim to know it all, though, and you sound as if you do know it all.

Thanks Britany for your imput and best of luck with your passions. I hope you apply again at Virgin America! Cheers

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Norm in Portland, Oregon

79 months ago

Antonio-Open wide dude, I can see it coming, you are reading this and then you are going to shove the entire shoe store in your big mouth, again! Count to 10 slowly, breathe, breathe, now try to laugh....this is all funny to me....lol...try not to take it all so seriously.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Debra at Delta in Portland, Oregon

79 months ago

Antonio-Just curious, why were you fired at Delta, and why are you trying to return to the friendly skies?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ellen in Portland, Oregon

79 months ago

Hi everybody...I was just hired at Virgin America. I met you Antonio, and to tell you the truth, I am relieved you weren't hired, as you came across rather arrogant and pretentious during interviewing....hope you find some happiness...and Norm....I agree with you, and hope to see you at Virgin America some day. Thanks, Ellen

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Norm in Portland, Oregon

79 months ago

Cheers and Congrats Ellen. Thanks for your input.

Tower Roader in Denver, Colorado

79 months ago

Ellen: Can you share how you went about applying, interviewing, etc..? I need to motivation. By the way, Congratulations!

Katie in Los Angeles, California

79 months ago

Congrats Ellen! I'm wondering, if you could share a little of the process, or what you did to prepare for Virgin. I'm going in tomorrow and since I've been interviewing with some more conservative airlines, I really am curious as to what it was like to show up for Virgin, what to do, what not to do (maybe). For example, they say dress is "business casual" but do they really mean that? or should I show up as if I was going to United? I'll take any input you got, thanks and congrats, and maybe, just maybe we'll see each other in training.

Karla in Temecula, California

79 months ago

Katie in Los Angeles, California said: Congrats Ellen! I'm wondering, if you could share a little of the process, or what you did to prepare for Virgin. I'm going in tomorrow and since I've been interviewing with some more conservative airlines, I really am curious as to what it was like to show up for Virgin, what to do, what not to do (maybe). For example, they say dress is "business casual" but do they really mean that? or should I show up as if I was going to United? I'll take any input you got, thanks and congrats, and maybe, just maybe we'll see each other in training.

Katie:

They definitely mean business casual. It's a more relaxed environment than you'll find elsewhere. As for the interview, it's a blast! They'll separate you into groups and then do a few group activities. My best advise would be to relax, be yourself and have fun. Trust me, you'll walk away absolutely in love with the company!

Katie in Los Angeles, California

79 months ago

Ellen--

Thank you. I already am. I started this whole process simply by flying on Virgin across country and meeting some of the flight attendants! I've been hooked ever since. I can't wait! thanks for the advice.

brandon in San Francisco, California

79 months ago

Katie,
it was GREAT to meet and talk to you today! i really look forward to being in class with you, if everything pans out for us. I hope you had a safe flight.

Cheers,

brandon (the bridge guy)

Dominic in San Diego, California

79 months ago

Hey all! I need a little advice...I'm dying to apply with VA but I can't commit to training until April...and they just CLOSED APPLICATIONS for flight attendants on the website! AAGGGHH!!! Does anyone know why? Do they already have a ton of candidates to choose from? I would hate to have to go back to one of those "other" carriers and fly with "Marge" and "Helen" the 150-year Flight Attendants...I'm so over that! That's why I left the industry in the first place! Finally, an edgy/stylish/young carrier in the U.S.! Any info on the hiring status appreciated, thanks!

Britney in Alabama

79 months ago

Dominic in San Diego, California said: Hey all! I need a little advice...I'm dying to apply with VA but I can't commit to training until April...and they just CLOSED APPLICATIONS for flight attendants on the website! AAGGGHH!!! Does anyone know why? Do they already have a ton of candidates to choose from? I would hate to have to go back to one of those "other" carriers and fly with "Marge" and "Helen" the 150-year Flight Attendants...I'm so over that! That's why I left the industry in the first place! Finally, an edgy/stylish/young carrier in the U.S.! Any info on the hiring status appreciated, thanks!

apply anyway - maybe give Megan Flanagan a call and inquire about hiring status or when they will pick the process back up. April will be here before you know it. Yes, they have tons of candidates to choose from, but companies are usually more than happy to make time for the right person. Don't feel by any means that you have missed the boat. if they are taking a break from interviews right now, they'll pick them back up before you know it. you're excited, you can make it happen. good luck!

TravelGuru in Desert Hot Springs, California

79 months ago

Does anyone know the phone number or email address for Megan Flanagan at Virgin America?

Many thanks

Britney in Alabama

79 months ago

TravelGuru in Desert Hot Springs, California said: Does anyone know the phone number or email address for Megan Flanagan at Virgin America?

Many thanks

if you call the main number, before they transfer you over, ask if they would mind giving you her email address and ext. - if she doesnt answer I'd leave a message and follow up with an email. Just a suggestion : )

79 months ago

Britney in Alabama said: if you call the main number, before they transfer you over, ask if they would mind giving you her email address and ext. - if she doesnt answer I'd leave a message and follow up with an email. Just a suggestion : )

Thanks Britney, much appreciated.

79 months ago

I've now left a message and e mailed so I'll wait and see. Does anyone know the latest news re hiring or potential interview dates?

candis in Raleigh, North Carolina

79 months ago

hey guys. just about real quick. i work for American Eagle now, i used to be a flight attendant with Delta. i know im late but the comments on Virgin America, i think its a great airline. Best of luck to all those who try (oh and i did apply as well). As for the bantering, i dont see some of you working as a flight attendant (i come from 3 generations of FA's). We need to support all those airlines and those working for one (US owned or whatever). POST 9/11 this is a hard job and no legacy, startup, or LCC has a secure futur in the sky. To all those applicants keep your eye on the prize I cant wait to see all of you HAPPY POSITIVE people in the concourse!!!!!!vi

future fa in Sacramento, California

79 months ago

very well said candis!

Debra in Portland, Oregon

79 months ago

Antonio: You sound like a very unhappy person. Hope you find some peace of mind.

candis in Raleigh, North Carolina

79 months ago

as for any one searching for employment. im not sure if you know but. United, Northwest, USair, American Eagle, Shuttle America(Republic airlines), Omni international, Virgin America, Southwest, Spirit, Delta(hebrew, japanese speaking i think), Midwest Connect(Skyways airlines), Mesa air group, Compass airlines, EOS airlines, and Skybus are airlines i know are hiring right now. even though some are regional carriers i have found it can be easier to get a FA job if you are currently a FA.

ricky in Wilmington, Delaware

79 months ago

brandon in San Francisco, California said: Katie,
it was GREAT to meet and talk to you today! i really look forward to being in class with you, if everything pans out for us. I hope you had a safe flight.

Cheers,

brandon (the bridge guy)

*** ia m not sure if u was at the intervw on wednes.. i was the guy frm Philly,, anywys i got my lil email 2day frm megan that i didnt get the job,,oh well...lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Does anyone know if VA has any interviews planned? I've left a message with Megan, and an e mail but so far no response. Thanks

Sonia in Woodland Hills, California

79 months ago

Antonio in Chicago, Illinois said: And you sound like a very useless person coming out of nowhere trying to be insulting, just to start another useless argument like your predecessors! Probably you are the same one changing names constantly pretending to be a new person every time ! I hope you get a life instead !

You people make this site useless because you're not even fighting about real information anymore. Just ignore people attacking you personally and we will do the same to you...that's not what this site is for anyway. All this negative energy on this site makes me not want to participate in discussions anymore but I just had to put my two cents in here.

Angie in Las Vegas, Nevada

79 months ago

Im wondering if anyone can tell me a little bit about how beiong a new FA with Delta works? I do not live in NYC but they told me I would be on call and given only 2 hours of notice to fly. They are interested in me because I speak Greek and therefore, I assume that this would be a FA position that goes from JFK to Athens. The thing is, I couldnt afford to live in NYC and be just on call never knowing when I work, how often, ect. Could anyone shed some light on this process for me.. Thank you very kindly :)

79 months ago

Angie in Las Vegas, Nevada said: Im wondering if anyone can tell me a little bit about how beiong a new FA with Delta works? I do not live in NYC but they told me I would be on call and given only 2 hours of notice to fly. They are interested in me because I speak Greek and therefore, I assume that this would be a FA position that goes from JFK to Athens. The thing is, I couldnt afford to live in NYC and be just on call never knowing when I work, how often, ect. Could anyone shed some light on this process for me.. Thank you very kindly :)

Hi Angie,

I was a F/A with BA and AA for 21 years. My experience with AA on reserve in NY was as follows. I bid for my reserve lines each month. You get a certain number of days on call and a certain number of days off. On your reserve days you are on call. We had to call in the day prior for a reserve assignment. We were guaranteed 75 hours per month flight pay even if we did not fly. I did get a pay check. It's higher if you fly because of language pay etc. I would imagine Delta will guarantee a certain number of hours a month. I have commuted from LA to NYC and from London to NYC. You can make it work for you. It wasn't easy but it can work for you. get a crash pad in Queens and use the bus/subway.
Hope this helps

Future FA in Sacramento, California

79 months ago

Hi Brandon and Katie!

Any updates from Virgin America?

jessicadsimpson in Seattle, Washington

79 months ago

Correction: Virgin is not a european airline, an airline operating in the U.S. must be 75 percent American owned and operated. Richard Branson owns a mere 25%. Virgin was forced to fire their original CEO Fred Reid to accommodate very strict U.S. governances over Virgin. Virgin has created and will continue to create U.S. jobs while innovating the experience of air travel as we know it. Virgin America is the renegade underdog here and they are going to operate a fantastic airline with happy enthusiastic employees, serving customers. If this brings a little competition to the airline industry, GOOD! I can't tell you how many negative miserable people I've encountered who work for so called "legacy carriers"
the airline employee on Meet the Parents comes to mind and that character wasn't an exaggeration at all. I have gotten to the point where I hate flying. I think that Virgin is going to change that.

Britney in Alabama

79 months ago

Antonio in Chicago, Illinois said: From: www.nytimes.com/2007/03/21/business/worldbusiness/21air.html
Virgin America offered to replace its chief executive, Fred Reid, a former Delta executive, with someone having no previous ties to Mr. Branson or other foreign investors in the company. It also offered to reduce the number of board members designated by Mr. Branson’s Virgin Group and to place the group’s 25 percent voting power in a trust.
Labor groups in the United States had also opposed the Virgin America plan, which could add to financial pressures on domestic airlines and thus endanger some jobs.
This decision will set a deadly precedent and open the door to foreign competition in our aviation industry,” said Patricia A. Friend, president of the Association of Flight Attendants. She said the government’s tentative approval was aimed at winning European support for the open skies plan.

If this sounds good to you, then cheers !!!! To me it sounds like a threat !!!!

you're referencing an article dated March 2007 - none of the above is still an issue.

Britney in Alabama

78 months ago

Antonio in Chicago, Illinois said: Why wouldn't still be an issue? Because the article is dated March 27th? So you think that because it has been a whole year since that article that the issue is not a threat anymore? The article talks about how this precedent will open the door to foreign carriers, so yes, it's still an issue.
Things in aviation don't just happen in hours or days, but in months or years, so we'll see the effects in the long term.
Why would the Labor Groups and the AFA be so concerned if there wasn't a threat?

hahaha... alright antonio.

did you move to chicago?

Steve in Des Moines, Iowa

78 months ago

TravelGuru in Desert Hot Springs, California said: Hi Angie,

I was a F/A with BA and AA for 21 years. My experience with AA on reserve in NY was as follows. I bid for my reserve lines each month. You get a certain number of days on call and a certain number of days off. On your reserve days you are on call. We had to call in the day prior for a reserve assignment. We were guaranteed 75 hours per month flight pay even if we did not fly. I did get a pay check. It's higher if you fly because of language pay etc. I would imagine Delta will guarantee a certain number of hours a month. I have commuted from LA to NYC and from London to NYC. You can make it work for you. It wasn't easy but it can work for you. get a crash pad in Queens and use the bus/subway.
Hope this helps

TraveGuru,

Can you tell me how hard is it to get on with BA? Do they have jumpseat agreements with US carriers? Seems like a very good company to work for but I would still like to live in US. What is your opinion on that?

Angie in Las Vegas, Nevada

78 months ago

Steve in Des Moines, Iowa said: TraveGuru,

Can you tell me how hard is it to get on with BA? Do they have jumpseat agreements with US carriers? Seems like a very good company to work for but I would still like to live in US. What is your opinion on that?

Dear TraveGuru,

Thank you very very very much for taking time to respond to my question. It does help me understand a bit better. However, I do have another question. I hope its not stupid to ask but when I had the phone interview I did ask the Delta recruiter if I would HAVE to live in NYC if I was hypothetically offered a position, he said that yes I would since I would be "oncall"---and that I would only be given 2 hours of notice when I am oncall. the thing is, I could not afford to live in NYC off of an "on call status nor do I think I could maintain a second job due to this on call status. Maybe I am overlooking something?? I live in Las Vegas and would like to stay here and just be able to fly to JKK and go to work from there. Could you maybe give me a bit more detail about what you know. Any feedback or advice is always appreciated. Thank you again, Angie

jessicadsimpson in Seattle, Washington

78 months ago

So has anyone gone through the interview process with VA and then been hired. I went through the assessment, the group interview and a drug screening, I was expecting a call last week and left a message yesterday. Very anxious and excited. I like you Britney really believe in following my heart and I just believe this airline is going to rock and be amazing to work for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.