Wondering what the training classes/hotels are like

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 308)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Teresa

91 months ago

Hello everyone I was wondering if anyone can tell me about the 4 weeks of training?
Are they hotels/ dorms? Do you share a room with someone else? Do you get any time off during those weeks?
what is the hardest part of training?

I have my interview coming up. But my husband and I have not been able to find anything on the training it self.
Mine will be in Houston (if I am lucky enough to get through the interview)
any info you have you be greatly appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

tenacious in Fayetteville, Arkansas

91 months ago

We might be able to assist you with information, Teresa, if you would be specific regarding the name of the company facilitating the training program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Teresa

91 months ago

Hello, well I know the interview is through
Continental Airlines. Hope that helps. I believe they do their own training from what the lady has told me.
Thanks again and looking for any info anyone has.

tenacious in Fayetteville, Arkansas

91 months ago

Teresa said: Hello, well I know the interview is through
Continental Airlines. Hope that helps. I believe they do their own training from what the lady has told me.
Thanks again and looking for any info anyone has.

Teresa,
When you were contacted by the Continental representative where you given a contact name and telephone number? Continental Airlines has a training facility in Southwest Houston, but you will need to get on their website to acquire the number. Wishing you well in your interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

FLy Mom

91 months ago

Our airline puts you up in a luxury apartment with 3 other people. You have time off at night and one day a week

fashion fly in Tulsa, Oklahoma

91 months ago

I start training on Monday. The company is putting me up at the Holiday Inn with a roommate. They say expect 6-9hr days for 5weeks and in flight training on weekends. What can I expect?

Fly Mom

91 months ago

Have fun. CHeck online the rating for the holiday inn you will be at to make sure it is safe and clean. HI has gone through changes the last decade or more and not very many in good condition. I checked the rating where we will be. It seems nice all the tenants like it. I start soon too.

Sonja Rivera in Newbury Park, California

91 months ago

Can anyone tell me what time frame you can expect a call or e-mail back after the interview. I just completed the final interview last Saturday and was told they would e-mail me between 5 to 7 business days. I interviewed with Skywest and made it from the group interview to the one on one interview, I am dying to know if they let you either way if you got it or not.

Thanks in advance

RILEY MORGAN in Winter Park, Florida

91 months ago

HELLO,
I HAVE INTERVIEWED WITH SKYWEST AND THEY TAKE FOREVER TO EMAIL YOU BACK WITH WHETHER OR NOT YOU GOT THE JOB. I RECENTLY INTERVIEWED WITH AIRTRAN AND THEY GET RIGHT DOWN TO BUSINESS IN THE INFO SESSIONS. NONE OF THAT, WHY DO YOU THINK YOU WOULD BE A GREAT ASSET TO THE COMPANY AND WHAT WOULD YOU DO IN THIS SITUATION. I FOUND OUT IF I GET ANOTHER INTERVIEW IN 2 DAYS AND THEN ON MY 1 ON 1 INTERVIEW SHE TOLD ME I GOT THE JOB. SKYWEST IS NOT VERY PROFESSIONAL, SMALL PLANES, AND I WOULD RECOMMEND ANOTHER AIRLINE. BUT WHATEVER YOUR PREFERENCE IS. I THINK SKYWEST PAYS 16 AND CHANGE, AIRTRAN PAYS 18.80/HR. JUST DO SOME RESEARCH ON THE AIRLINES. TRY AIRLINEAPPS.COM,FLIGHTCAREERS.COM. GOOD LUCK!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sonja Rivera in Newbury Park, California

91 months ago

Thanks Riley,

I know Skywest is an independantly owned company and carry small planes. It was just that they have a domicile in Santa Barbara and that is close to where I live. I will research Airtran, and I hope you get the job.

Thanks again,

sonja

Fly Mom

91 months ago

Riley don't jump the gun. You WILL have a one on one with Airtran. They will fly yo to ATL and you will be grilled your resume. Any jobs you had in 10 years in person. You will be grilled on your mental health i.e. how you deal with stress, people, etc.
As for call back time, each airline is different. I was offered a job at Airtran one of 2 out of 200 chosen. I got a better deal at the time (was about 4 years ago) then I landed job with American. At Airtran I was offered job later that day after groups, flown next week for physical/one on one. NWA I was offered job on the spot. They told all the ones who didn't get the job they would call them. I as the first hired out of all the people they interviewed and only a total of 3 were hired at the cattle call.
Be patient and good luck!

roy in Rockford, Illinois

91 months ago

hi,continental airline is going to send me a flight ticket to houston for the interview,my first one,and i was wondering if someone knows how it is...,how long does it take?
are they going to tell me if i got the job right away or i'll need to go there again?

is it really hard on the first interview?

thank you very much to all of you...

Kelly in Colonia, New Jersey

90 months ago

Continental Training is held in Houston. You stay at the Marriot closest to the airport. You will share a room with someone of the same sex. Training is 8-6 Mon-Sat. 4weeks. Must get past interviews first, good luck!

Kelly in Colonia, New Jersey

90 months ago

Continental group interview will last 3-6hours. If they are interested in you, you will be there most of the day, if not you will leave earlier.

Dress professionally, wear a business suit. Smile alot, be friendly, keep your resume simple enough to read, highlight only your career related experience. Eye contact is big, talk to other candidates. Make sure you are well spoken. It's not easy being chosen. Continental is very particular about what they expect. A great Company to work for, Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lee in Salem, Massachusetts

90 months ago

Do any of you know what airlines are based out of boston and if they are hiring

Lisa in Johnston, Rhode Island

90 months ago

Jet Blue was hiring out of Boston.. I applied and then had to answer questions via an automated system. I thought I did well, but then received an email stating "I did not meet their critia" !!
While I'm disappointed by this, maybe it's a blessing in disguise. If they can't take the time to personally speak with me, makes me wonder how they treat you once you're hired.

90 months ago

i'm so sorry for you...i don't know if it's because the airline or something alse,but i really hope it's not going to be like that with continental airline..,i'm sure you're feeling bad but try to move on and find something better for you...,maybe it is good for you that you won't work for this kind of people...
i wish you good luck!!!

roy

90 months ago

Thanks! Regarding Continental Airlines, my mom's friend is a flight attendant for them. She started out working at the airport as a customer service agent. After 3 years she applied for flight attendant and got hired. She was 50 years old at the time!! She is now 60 and is still a F/A, so it's never too late. She told me it was tough in the beginning, because the schedule was unpredictable. Then she finally got a set schedule after couple of years. She has truly enjoyed being a F/A. I live near Boston, so there's not many F/A positions here, you must be 2 hrs driving distance from the airline's hub, and Boston doesn't have many at all (except for Jet Blue and I think Northwest?) Best of Luck to You!

FlyGirl in La Center, Washington

90 months ago

Hi Lisa,
I know that United is hiring and they have a hub in Boston. Even though you are close, you aren't guaranteed a job in Boston because they just send new hires to the places they have the most need. I have a friend who was sent to Denver from Portland, and his family relocated there for about 8 or 9 months. Once he got off reserve, they moved back and he commutes to his domicile until he can be transferred.
We personally know three Northwest pilots who all told my mother not to have me apply with the company. They said the employees aren't treated very well, and the chance of getting laid off/not having job security is pretty high.
I know F/A's who work for Alaska, SkyWest and Southwest, and they all seem to be pretty happy with their jobs and the benefits that come with them (medical and flying). They've told me the first year or so will be rough, but if you can make it past that, it is one of the best and most flexible jobs out there.

mj

90 months ago

I agree with your friend. I was a Res. Sales Agt. for NW and you don't want to work for them!
I have a friend who is a F/A for Jet Blue and likes it a lot. Good luck!

90 months ago

Lisa in Johnston, Rhode Island said: Thanks! Regarding Continental Airlines, my mom's friend is a flight attendant for them. She started out working at the airport as a customer service agent. After 3 years she applied for flight attendant and got hired. She was 50 years old at the time!! She is now 60 and is still a F/A, so it's never too late. She told me it was tough in the beginning, because the schedule was unpredictable. Then she finally got a set schedule after couple of years. She has truly enjoyed being a F/A. I live near Boston, so there's not many F/A positions here, you must be 2 hrs driving distance from the airline's hub, and Boston doesn't have many at all (except for Jet Blue and I think Northwest?) Best of Luck to You!

hi lisa,
i just wanted to say that i applied for the f/a job in northwest air line,and i got to know really bad things about the company...,one of them was that i needed to pay for the living {to be close to where i needed to have the training}and they don't pay well at all,some girls at the other forum said only bad thing about nw ,so maybe you sould really chack it out before..i know you want this job really bad,i do the same,but i'm not ready to spend so much money just for the training,that i don't even know for sure if i'll get the job!!!,i have a limit to what i'm ready to give,keep your eye open all the time and try to take it easy,don't do anything just to get the job,i'm sure you want to make money,not to spend for something you don't know 100% if you're going to get!!!

good luck,
roy

Lisa too!

90 months ago

Regarding NWA there is a LOT of propaganda. You are not a salve, you can try any job in the USA and you can quit. The other forums are run by former NWA employees who are not even FA.
The facts: NWA provides 100% free training. Most airlines do not like Sky West etc. You also get $210 a week for your incidentals. They also provide 100% free luxury housing not a hotel room. You get a 2 bedroom apartment full stocked at a local complex which rent starts at $950. You share it with 4 same sex people.
I am a new hire. I read all the bashing and made up my OWN mind. Starting salary is $17.40 and you are guranteed 80 hours. Any airline wants you to relocate. ALL airlines have made cuts to get out of bankruptcy or filed it or try to stay out of bankruptcy!
September 11 changed all our lives. Due to gas prices, security, lack of travel, lower incomes, everyone is suffering. NWA did what it needed to keep all of it's employees from losing their jobs. They offered buy outs, they cut retirement, they had to fire people.
The FA that striked wanted to keep the $25 an hour starting salary but that isn;t possible. I mean the ticket cost have tripled since sept 11 tragedy in all areas of travel including Greyhound!
Now these are the only facts I do know. Also NWA has been very kind to me. When I was supposed to go to training, my basement flooded and roof have in and we lost lots of things. I called to decline the offer and they worked with me! No other place i have been would do that with a person who hadn't even started working yet. You won't get rich. Those days are over but $17.40 is better than most make even if you only get the 80 hours. The average American domestic worker works for under $6 and hour and doesn't have healthcare. Think of a waitress, she does far more work, longer hours everyday, and little job security.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

My friend works for SkyWest and said that the training is free. You aren't paid during the first half of training, but I know that you get paid during the second half. My friend said that you also get a bonus of $800 for completing training and being employed with them for 60 days. He said that you also get bonus money if the airline is making $, and for customer service and such. He said there hasn't been a time where he hasn't gotten both bonuses. He's been working for SkyWest for less than 2 years and in a good month makes around $2600 take home. Another thing --- he was on reserve for only 5 months. It seems to be a lot easier to work your way up at a regional airline.

90 months ago

Lisa too! said: Regarding NWA there is a LOT of propaganda. You are not a salve, you can try any job in the USA and you can quit. The other forums are run by former NWA employees who are not even FA.
The facts: NWA provides 100% free training. Most airlines do not like Sky West etc. You also get $210 a week for your incidentals. They also provide 100% free luxury housing not a hotel room. You get a 2 bedroom apartment full stocked at a local complex which rent starts at $950. You share it with 4 same sex people.
I am a new hire. I read all the bashing and made up my OWN mind. Starting salary is $17.40 and you are guranteed 80 hours. Any airline wants you to relocate. ALL airlines have made cuts to get out of bankruptcy or filed it or try to stay out of bankruptcy!
September 11 changed all our lives. Due to gas prices, security, lack of travel, lower incomes, everyone is suffering. NWA did what it needed to keep all of it's employees from losing their jobs. They offered buy outs, they cut retirement, they had to fire people.
The FA that striked wanted to keep the $25 an hour starting salary but that isn;t possible. I mean the ticket cost have tripled since sept 11 tragedy in all areas of travel including Greyhound!
Now these are the only facts I do know. Also NWA has been very kind to me. When I was supposed to go to training, my basement flooded and roof have in and we lost lots of things. I called to decline the offer and they worked with me! No other place i have been would do that with a person who hadn't even started working yet. You won't get rich. Those days are over but $17.40 is better than most make even if you only get the 80 hours. The average American domestic worker works for under $6 and hour and doesn't have healthcare. Think of a waitress, she does far more work, longer hours everyday, and little job security.

Thanks, Lisa Too!
I certainly won't turn down any airline that allows me the opportunity to interview with them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

I just wanted to get clarification on this: If I apply to an airline that's hiring for their Boston hub, I'm not guaranteed to start working for that particular hub? I'm married with two kids, and could never relocate for this type of position/money. I guess you need to be single with no commitments, to be able to move wherever they ask?

Sonja Rivera in Thousand Oaks, California

90 months ago

FlyGirl in La Center, Washington said: My friend works for SkyWest and said that the training is free. You aren't paid during the first half of training, but I know that you get paid during the second half. My friend said that you also get a bonus of $800 for completing training and being employed with them for 60 days. He said that you also get bonus money if the airline is making $, and for customer service and such. He said there hasn't been a time where he hasn't gotten both bonuses. He's been working for SkyWest for less than 2 years and in a good month makes around $2600 take home. Another thing --- he was on reserve for only 5 months. It seems to be a lot easier to work your way up at a regional airline.

Hi there,
Thanks for the positive info on Skywest. I start training with them Sept 25 and I am very nervous about the relocation stuff. I would love to get the Santa Barbara domicile but know that probably won't happen off the bat. Anyhow it is nice to see someone putting out some positive info.

Thank you
Sonja

90 months ago

Sonja Rivera in Thousand Oaks, California said: Hi there,
Thanks for the positive info on Skywest. I start training with them Sept 25 and I am very nervous about the relocation stuff. I would love to get the Santa Barbara domicile but know that probably won't happen off the bat. Anyhow it is nice to see someone putting out some positive info.

Thank you
Sonja

I am not sure what the chances are of you being based in Santa Barbara. It just depends on need. Then again, they've been hiring a lot, so if it isn't a super senior domicile you might be able to transfer right away. Apparently you can put in a transfer request asap. I heard they are sending most flight attendants to Denver and Salt Lake City.

My friend is trying to get back to Portland (currently stationed in Denver), but it is a super senior base, so he might be waiting a while. But I figure, he is married with 4 kids and his wife doesn't work, and if he likes what he's doing and can work it with a family it must be a decent gig.

90 months ago

Lisa in Johnston, Rhode Island said: I just wanted to get clarification on this: If I apply to an airline that's hiring for their Boston hub, I'm not guaranteed to start working for that particular hub? I'm married with two kids, and could never relocate for this type of position/money. I guess you need to be single with no commitments, to be able to move wherever they ask?

If you are told in your session that they are hiring for Boston and Boston only in your session, I wouldn't sweat it. I've been to several interviews, though, and none of them have stated that they are hiring for any specific base and they want to make sure that you know that. As far as relocation, a lot of people just get crash pads in their assigned domicile, spend the days off they have with their family, and put in their transfer request and hope for the best!

I heard that Northwest was hiring for specific bases - but I thought it was only Minneapolis and Detroit. I thought about working for them in Minneapolis when I lived there this summer, but wouldn't make enough money as a single person to support myself in the apartment that I had (and I paid like $500 month including utilities).

As far as handling a family and being a flight attendant - I have a friend who is married, with 4 kids. He is stationed in Denver. His family is in Portland. He lived in Denver temporarily, and after he got his seniority and held a line, he commutes from Portland to Denver until Portland opens up.

Now, crashpads are a completely different animal. I talked to some FA's last night who said they've stayed in a crash pad that has had from 4 to 20 people staying there. The more people that stay, the cheaper it is. Check out www.crewcommute.com.

Sarah in San Antonio, Texas

90 months ago

Hey there! I leave for training in Salt Lake City tomorrow for SkyWest training I'm a little nervous... can someone give me a heads up on what to expect like from a personal standpoint?! Thanks!

Dwhite in Winchester, Virginia

90 months ago

Lisa in Johnston, Rhode Island said: Thanks! Regarding Continental Airlines, my mom's friend is a flight attendant for them. She started out working at the airport as a customer service agent. After 3 years she applied for flight attendant and got hired. She was 50 years old at the time!! She is now 60 and is still a F/A, so it's never too late. She told me it was tough in the beginning, because the schedule was unpredictable. Then she finally got a set schedule after couple of years. She has truly enjoyed being a F/A. I live near Boston, so there's not many F/A positions here, you must be 2 hrs driving distance from the airline's hub, and Boston doesn't have many at all (except for Jet Blue and I think Northwest?) Best of Luck to You!

I am a new hire for united.Actually, you can now go to training based on which domicile you'd like to be located. The only drawback is That it might be a while before a class is formed for your domicile. Go online to start the process and good luck!

So Excited in Spring, Texas

90 months ago

I was accepted into a training course in January for Continental Airlines. I currently live in Houston but I was hired for the Newark base. Does anyone have any information or tips they could share on relocating to Newark (or surrounding area)? My husband and I plan to go ahead and re-locate since the reserve status is so much shorter at Newark. Thanks for any help you can offer!

Arina in Jersey City, New Jersey

90 months ago

Does anyone know where to go to find out about cheap lodging in the Newar area? My friends stay at a nice place nearby but it's full at this time.

Arina in Jersey City, New Jersey

90 months ago

Arina in Jersey City, New Jersey said: Does anyone know where to go to find out about cheap lodging in the Newar area? My friends stay at a nice place nearby but it's full at this time.

I meant Newark, NJ

Sharon in Boston, Massachusetts

90 months ago

I am looking for a crash pad too outside the Newark area. Any suggestions?

Mike in Weirton, West Virginia

90 months ago

So Excited in Spring, Texas said: I was accepted into a training course in January for Continental Airlines. I currently live in Houston but I was hired for the Newark base. Does anyone have any information or tips they could share on relocating to Newark (or surrounding area)? My husband and I plan to go ahead and re-locate since the reserve status is so much shorter at Newark. Thanks for any help you can offer!

Hey there so excited!!! I too am in the training class for CAL in January!!! I started a group on myspace for all the people that are in our class(so we can chat before we get there) here is the link groups.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=groups.groupProfile&groupID=106528703&Mytoken=3478ABD0-6B10-4125-A68727E4E1AF733251388101
Go there and sing on

Vicki in Horseheads, New York

90 months ago

I have an interview with Continental airlines on Tuesday October 9th. Does anyone know how long it takes to hear if you get accepted into training and also how the go about picking he bases? thanks!! also anyone else have an interview on the 9th in Newark?? let me know asap i would love to hear from you!!:)

So Excited in Houston, Texas

90 months ago

I had an interview with Continental this summer in Houston. They told us when we got there that they were hiring for the Newark base. You do not have a choice of base, they will tell you when you get there. Even though I was selected for training three months ago, my training course is not until January so it is not necessarily a quick process.

As for the actual interview, I was there all day...arrived at 9:00 a.m. and finally left about 4:30 p.m. You start out with a group interview followed by a 1-on-1 interview. If they like you, they will ask you to hang around. This process of 1-on-1 interviews continues pretty much all day and each time, if they like you, will ask you to stick around for the next set. There were 60+ people that showed up and they only hired 2 of us at the end of the day. Good luck!

Dwhite in Winchester, Virginia

90 months ago

I am a new hire @ United. They contacted me today and said classes will start in January (they don't know which domiciles yet, but said that classes will be formed almost weekly). As I mentioned before they said that we can wait for a class in the domicile that we want. I already passed on San Fran. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions about waiting for your domicile(i'm waiting for Washington-Dulles). They gave us in our hire packet info that said they are not wild about commuters during reserve. Any inside info on all of this would be great. Thanks for any help and anyone else waiting, please let me know!

Flytheskies in Fort Madison, Iowa

90 months ago

I recieved an interview in New York with Jet Blue. Has anyone interviewed with them? They said business casual...How casual? Has anyone been there?
Also what kind of time is aloted for this interview?
Can anyone help?

Sharon in Brighton, Massachusetts

90 months ago

when did you get notified, I interviewed on an automated phone screen yesterday?

Angie in Mesa, Arizona

90 months ago

Wow, hey there Sharon and Flytheskies; I also did their automated phone screen yesterday. I have an interview next Wednesday...I am a former F/A, but I'm sure much has changed in 6 yrs, and I am nervous because I really want this! I hear JB is the best in the industry to work for these days, so I am sure competition is tough...
Does anyone have any knowledge on the Jet Blue process they can share?

Betina

90 months ago

I've been invited to schedule an interview with Continental. I know if I where to get hired I'd be packing for Newark. However, I am very torn if whether I want this that bad. I've already been a flight attendant for Alaska and thought I was ready to go in for the big time major airlines like Continental. I loved being a flight attendant but I have someone here in LA whom I love and don't know if I can leave him since we both agree long distance relationships do not work... LOL Sorry y'all I'm being a whiner.

Some Things Happen For A Reason.. in Johnston, Rhode Island

90 months ago

Sharon in Brighton, Massachusetts said: when did you get notified, I interviewed on an automated phone screen yesterday?

LOL, last month I also got "interviewed" by an automated system (which I thought was very impersonal). Guess Jet Blue doesn't have the time to conduct initial phone interviews personally, being the HUGE airline they are and all.
Needless to say, I then received an email stating I did not match their "criteria," and they wished me best of luck for future endeavors.
Right Back At Ya, Jet Blue!! Hope 2008 doesn't leave you with thousands of angry customers that were stranded due to your countless delayed flights (for HOURS)that you weren't prepared to handle. (hee hee).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lacey2 in oneida, New York

90 months ago

Flytheskies in Fort Madison, Iowa said: I recieved an interview in New York with Jet Blue. Has anyone interviewed with them? They said business casual...How casual? Has anyone been there?
Also what kind of time is aloted for this interview?
Can anyone help?

Hey Flytheskies, good luck on interview. Business casual means.....look like a flight attendant. Seriously, black or navy blue suit or atleast knee length skirt and business jacket. Closed toe shoes and stockings. Be sure to wear a little makeup, not tons of jewelry. Hair pulled back or up if it is in your face. Good luck to you! How long after you had the phone interview did you receive the invite to the interview? I too had a phone interview and heard nothing so far. It's been a week so still hopeful!

flytheskies in Fort Madison, Iowa

90 months ago

Lacey2 I think it took about 5 days, maybe? I wish you luck! You'll hear something.

Lee in Beverly, Massachusetts

90 months ago

I applied on Sept 29 then got the phone interview a day later. Still waiting to hear. I wasn't really impressed with the whole thing. I would rather to speak to someone personally. I am going to American Eagle on Tuesday for an interview. Maybe that will be my airline.
Good luck to all

Paula in Portland, Maine

90 months ago

I interviewed with Jet Blue on the automated thing and then in person within the same week. It was a group interview and they actaully asked different questions to 4 applicants in the same room. It was kind of weird and a little nerve racking buit I did well enough to move on with the process. @ others got sent home right there. Then we did a luggage lifting test and a drug test the same day. A couple of days later they sent me a computer test, which was easy. Now I have been waiting for the past week and a half to see if my backround check came back ok.
Training will be in Orlando but I am really anxious to know what the dates are for the training and what training I will go to. Does anyone know how long the training for jet blue lasts or anything at all about it???

Antoine in Newark, New Jersey

90 months ago

Hi! I will be attending a group interview in Newark for Continental in a week. I am so excited that I feel nervous about the opportunity.

Would you suggest me bringing my passport to the interview or is it not necessary until training?

What other suggestions do you have for successfully passing this phase of becoming a flight attendant with Continental Airline?

Antoine in Newark, New Jersey

90 months ago

Thank you in advance for your time and energy!
Your responses are appreciated. I am

Sincerely yours,
Antoine

Diva & Momma of 5 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

89 months ago

has anyone tried to interview with Republic Airways Holding (Shuttle America, Chautauqua airlines, Republic airlines)????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.