Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Eagle76 in Miami, Florida

76 months ago

Maybe cause your awful at interviewing?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

FA looking for work in Madison, Wisconsin

76 months ago

NO! I HAVE NO ISSUES WITH THE INTERVIEWING PROCESS AT ALL I SPEAK WELL AND LOOK VERY PROFESSIONAL... THIS IS NOT ONLY ME I HAVE 10 FRIENDS THAT ALL HAVE BEEN HAVING THE SAME PROBLEMS

Reply - Report abuse

m in New York, New York

76 months ago

FA looking for work in Madison, Wisconsin said: ALL I WANT TO KNOW IS Y AIRLINES ARE NOT HIRING BLACK WOMEN? I HAVE BEEN ON 5 DIFFERENT INTERVIEWS AND SENT IN WELL OVER 30 APPS. AND EVERY ONE OF THEM WAS A disappointment!!!!!!! I WAS A FLIGHT ATTENDANT FOR 3 1/2 YEARS AND ONLY STOPPED TO GO BACK TO SCHOOL.. NOW THAT I WANT THE LIFT STYLE BACK IM GETTING NO'S LEFT AND RIGHT. THIS CRAZY!!! I GUESS IF U DONT HAVE BLONDE HAIR AND BLUE EYES YOUR JUST S*** OUT OF LUCK!!!!

honestly i was wondering the same thing when a friend asked me along to emirates open house. and although i've got the look and proper mannerisms and have interviewed and gotten accepted to some locals i'd heard from another that they and a number of other international airlines don't hire black women so...didn't attend to waste my time. sad but seems true

Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

m in New York, New York said: honestly i was wondering the same thing when a friend asked me along to emirates open house. and although i've got the look and proper mannerisms and have interviewed and gotten accepted to some locals i'd heard from another that they and a number of other international airlines don't hire black women so...didn't attend to waste my time. sad but seems true

AND I UNDERSTAND. ITS A BIG FIGHT THAT "OTHERS" WOULD NEVER UNDERSTAND. BEING TREATED EQUAL IS ALL I WANT AND TO BE OFFERED A JOB THAT I CAN DO WOULD BE GREAT.

Reply - Report abuse

giveitabreak in Sydney, Australia

76 months ago

FA looking for work in Madison, Wisconsin said: ALL I WANT TO KNOW IS Y AIRLINES ARE NOT HIRING BLACK WOMEN? I HAVE BEEN ON 5 DIFFERENT INTERVIEWS AND SENT IN WELL OVER 30 APPS. AND EVERY ONE OF THEM WAS A disappointment!!!!!!! I WAS A FLIGHT ATTENDANT FOR 3 1/2 YEARS AND ONLY STOPPED TO GO BACK TO SCHOOL.. NOW THAT I WANT THE LIFT STYLE BACK IM GETTING NO'S LEFT AND RIGHT. THIS CRAZY!!! I GUESS IF U DONT HAVE BLONDE HAIR AND BLUE EYES YOUR JUST S*** OUT OF LUCK!!!!

Maybe it has something to do with your crappy economy rather than the colour of your skin? I have friends in the states ('others' and not)who are currently looking for work and who have good credentials and I know for a fact they have been to considerably more interviews than just five! You arent owed, so instead of perhaps crying the racist card why not take a positive approach and search harder? I wish you luck in your endeavours.

Reply - Report abuse

m in New York, New York

76 months ago

giveitabreak in Sydney, Australia said: Maybe it has something to do with your crappy economy rather than the colour of your skin? I have friends in the states ('others' and not)who are currently looking for work and who have good credentials and I know for a fact they have been to considerably more interviews than just five! You arent owed, so instead of perhaps crying the racist card why not take a positive approach and search harder? I wish you luck in your endeavours.

mmm...perhaps but i've lived in the uk as well and people here seem to have bit 'different' view of blacks. also know an 'other' who works for such middle eastern airline and they confirmed they don't look to hire esp. black women so...sad but seems true

Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

m in New York, New York said: mmm...perhaps but i've lived in the uk as well and people here seem to have bit 'different' view of blacks. also know an 'other' who works for such middle eastern airline and they confirmed they don't look to hire esp. black women so...sad but seems true

Thank you for telling the truth!!! It sucks but facts are facts

Reply - Report abuse

giveitabreak in Sydney, Australia

76 months ago

m in New York, New York said: mmm...perhaps but i've lived in the uk as well and people here seem to have bit 'different' view of blacks. also know an 'other' who works for such middle eastern airline and they confirmed they don't look to hire esp. black women so...sad but seems true

It is obvious that air lines do hire black women (FA said she worked in the industry 3 1/2 years ago) so that kind of blows that theory out of the water. I know what you mean about people in the states having a different opinion due to colour but that is true for both blacks and whites. Unfortunately, that's not only deep-seeded but a learned behaviour which is probably not going to dissipate in our lifetime!

Reply - Report abuse

JettingtoMars in US

76 months ago

YellowBird in Marietta, Georgia said: The majority of the f/a's that Air Tran hires are black women. Have you tried them? (By the way, I have blond hair and blue eyes, and I've been turned down by Air Tran 4 times, Delta 3 times, ASA 1 time, and finally just got hired by another regional. Best of luck to you.

hired by pinnacle? C'mon now...Working for regional is going to be tough, working for minimum wage or below min wage

Reply - Report abuse

skymistress in New York, New York

76 months ago

I'm black and I haven't experienced this type discrimination yet. I've also been hired at 3 different airlines only worked for 2 though.
You can say racism, but some of us will have to disagree, sorry.

Reply - Report abuse

unknown in Chicago, Illinois

76 months ago

I'm Hispanic (so neither white nor black) & don't have blond hair or colored eyes, and I can tell you that I've seen plenty of Black women & men FAs on the hotel shuttles with me to/from the hotel & airport daily. My current regional has a high percentage of Blacks as FAs, and Delta has a high percentage too. I've gone thru 2 airline trainings in the past 13 months, and at least 1/3 of each class was Black females. Think of ways that you can change your interviewing skills and possible answer choices so that you can stand out in your next interview.

Reply - Report abuse

Flygirl in Leesburg, Virginia

76 months ago

Pretty sure I have half black women in my training class now! Don't even go there!

Reply - Report abuse

let_live in New York, New York

76 months ago

OMG people need to let this thread die already

Reply - Report abuse

Sammie in Hacienda Heights, California

76 months ago

I'm in a training right now with 3 black woman in my class, its sad but it all depends on what the company is looking for, I'm a young black straight male and said the same thing when I went to like 8 interviews getting declined and somebody on this forum to me to buy " the essental guide to becoming a Flight attendant" and been hired 4 places since. Hope I coul help just make sure when you go to the interviews you are The Best and they must be crazy if they don't hire you

Reply - Report abuse

James in Seattle, Washington

76 months ago

Maybe because your resume is totally capitalized except for a few random words, and because you have real bad grammar?

Notice the people who are disagreeing with you and who are having better outcomes have much better grammar.

Example - "I HAVE 10 FRIENDS THAT ALL HAVE BEEN HAVING THE SAME PROBLEMS"

This is a bit better - I have ten friends who have been having the same problem. Or better: "Ten friends of mine have been experiencing the same problem."

And don't abbreviate why as "y", it looks really uneducated/immature.

I'm sure you attempt to have better grammar when not on the internet, but if your instinct is to have bad grammar, it will show up occasionally when you are trying to fake having good grammar. A good remedy is to read books. Don't ever watch TV and hang out with smart people in addition to who you hang out with now.

And most of all (my opinion): the economy sucks because we like to spend our taxes on war rather than keeping them in the hands of the people, who will then spend it on other things to stimulate the economy.

Reply - Report abuse

Didgya in Saint Joseph, Missouri

76 months ago

It might have to do with age also.

Reply - Report abuse

Holly Golightly in Clifton, New Jersey

76 months ago

m in New York, New York said: honestly i was wondering the same thing when a friend asked me along to emirates open house. and although i've got the look and proper mannerisms and have interviewed and gotten accepted to some locals i'd heard from another that they and a number of other international airlines don't hire black women so...didn't attend to waste my time. sad but seems true

Thats so silly. So you let an opportunity pass you by based off of rumors that you heard? Wow You shouldve came to the Emirates open house because it wouldve been a great exp and yes they do hire black people. SMH

Reply - Report abuse

let_live in New York, New York

76 months ago

OMG people need to let this thread die already

Reply - Report abuse

Ashley in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

76 months ago

Why does this thread need to die? She posted it 9 days ago, but anyways I think Air Jamaica will hire you because when I last went to Jamaica the whole crew was black.

Reply - Report abuse

Ashley in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

76 months ago

Why does this thread need to die. She posted this 9 days ago, but anyways you should apply for Air Jamaica they hire black people. Last time I flew with them, the whole crew was black.

Reply - Report abuse

HewlettPackard in Kansas City, Missouri

76 months ago

That is because the majority of ppl in Jamaica I believe are black, just like the majority of ppl in the US are white..it is very difficult to get on at the airlines PERIOD..especially right now, no matter what color you are. If you have worked in the industry before you already know that it is a very competitive industry and they only take 5%-10% of all applicants who apply.

Fortunately "FA Looking for Work" you were one of the rare and lucky ones who made it on the very first time! WOW! But unfortunately not the second or even third, fourth or fifth tries.THat is how it goes sometimes.

I am black and I work for a predominately white (I'm talking very little diversity) airline based on the West Coast. I tried with Delta back in December where I thought I would be a shoe in and I did not get picked. Again, that is the way it goes!

Try Continental they are hiring now...don't give up! P.S. If you think a certain way i.e., they are not going to hire me because I am black, count on that becoming your reality...

Peace

Reply - Report abuse

sunny sunshine in New Jersey

75 months ago

Did you just say the majority of the people in US are white?.... OK....(?)
I just want to let you know I went through F/A training earlier this year.
About 1/2 were black, 1/3 were hispanic, 1/3 white.

Reply - Report abuse

denise in Gloversville, New York

75 months ago

if the interviewers like you ,they hire you .if they get a sense that you are willing to put up with their long hours and low pay ,rude customers ,you might have a shot.you have to be an actor at the interview,i fly quite often and im always questioning how did these rude ,unfriendly people get hired ?what goes on at the interview is not the reality of the job.

Reply - Report abuse

denise in Gloversville, New York

75 months ago

if the interviewers like you ,they hire you .if they get a sense that you are willing to put up with their long hours and low pay ,rude customers ,you might have a shot.you have to be an actor at the interview,i fly quite often and im always questioning how did these rude ,unfriendly people get hired ?what goes on at the interview is not the reality of the job.

Reply - Report abuse

HewlettPackard in Westland, Michigan

75 months ago

sunny sunshine in New Jersey said: Did you just say the majority of the people in US are white?.... OK....(?)
I just want to let you know I went through F/A training earlier this year.
About 1/2 were black, 1/3 were hispanic, 1/3 white.

Yeah, I did say that, which is why everyone else in this country is a MINORITY...QUESTIONS??? if so why don't you check the US census bureau don't take it from me, even though what I'm stating is a fact...I'm not referring to the demographic at your airlines recruitment or training events, I'm talking NATIONAL demographics.

Reply - Report abuse

wow in Spring Valley, California

75 months ago

This is a trip. Sounds like some people need to really grow up. If you carry on this way and you do get hired I can promise you that you wll not last long through training. They do not like drama!!!

It is too bad that we still have this kind of nonsense. Do you not understand that our employment rate is crazy high in the US and even in the best economy it takes people sometimes many times to be picked for this job and now you compound it with todays competition in the work force. Get a clue! You have to be the absolute best of the best in your interview and paperwork you send in. Get off the race thing please. I am not saying we do not have issues like that here in america but the airlines hire such diversity. All colors, all ages both female and male and all sexual orientations. Come on really the race card?????

Reply - Report abuse

James in Seattle, Washington

75 months ago

Good god this thread will never die and we are going to permanently get email updates about it because everyone thinks people want to hear their stupid opinion. Is there any way we can remove ourselves from getting email updates?? I don't want to have to block indeed from sending me emails..

Reply - Report abuse

fa4life in Staten Island, New York

75 months ago

When you get the email updates, near the bottom is a "unsubscribe" or something similar. Click on that and you're done.....

Reply - Report abuse

fa4life in Staten Island, New York

75 months ago

Actually, it says "cancel this alert."

Reply - Report abuse

PYThing in Indianapolis, Indiana

75 months ago

They are hiring "black" FA......they are not hiring people who are not qualified! Doesn't make a difference white, black, Latino, whatever!
BTW I'm black and I was hired last month.

Reply - Report abuse

Jordan Craig in Sacramento, California

73 months ago

I've seen tons of black flight attendants! Both men and women! Don't let the color of your skin discourage you. The airlines are very very picky of who they hire. Not by the color of your skin, but by your personality and experience. They look for people who aren't just proper and well mannered. They look for people with awesome personality and who show no arrogance. During interview sessions, believe that you are being watched. Let your people person personality shine. It took years for me to get hired. Five years to be exact. It is very hard to get the position, believe me. I've gone through at least 5 or 6 interviews and did not get accepted until my last interview. Don't give up! Keep on trying. As a matter if fact, I've come across a few black recruiters. Don't believe that it's because if your skin color. And once again, don't give up!

Reply - Report abuse

Imflyinghigh in Chicago, Illinois

73 months ago

It is difficult for black FAs to be hired by international companies because we are seen differently in other countries. I am black and was lucky enough to be hired by my first airline. It is very difficult to get a job with the airlines as a FA. Yes racism still exist in everything!!Yes we still have to work twice as hard to get half as far. Don't get discouraged apply to everyone, go on interviews, present yourself well and keep your head up.

Reply - Report abuse

Imflyinghigh

73 months ago

It is difficult for black FAs to be hired by international companies because we are seen differently in other countries. I am black and was lucky enough to be hired by my first airline. It is very difficult to get a job with the airlines as a FA. Yes racism still exist in everything!!Yes we still have to work twice as hard to get half as far. Don't get discouraged apply to everyone, go on interviews, present yourself well and keep your head up

Reply - Report abuse

RJ in Brooklyn, New York

72 months ago

giveitabreak in Sydney, Australia said: Maybe it has something to do with your crappy economy rather than the colour of your skin? I have friends in the states ('others' and not)who are currently looking for work and who have good credentials and I know for a fact they have been to considerably more interviews than just five! You arent owed, so instead of perhaps crying the racist card why not take a positive approach and search harder? I wish you luck in your endeavours.[

UNLESS YOU WALK IN OUR SHOES... YOU WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND OUR
ITS NOT A RACE CARD... ITS THE SAD TRUTH!!!

Reply - Report abuse

ATLguy in Powder Springs, Georgia

72 months ago

JettingtoMars in US said: hired by pinnacle? C'mon now...Working for regional is going to be tough, working for minimum wage or below min wage

Oh please. Regional airlines have some of the best union contracts, and often share benefits with mainline carriers. And I'm pretty sure they don't pay you minimum wage. Get real.

Reply - Report abuse

RJCrZy8 in Bayside, New York

72 months ago

Again...WALK IN OUR SHOES...comments are fruitless unless. Nothing will change the fact...500 years ago...500 years from now...it will sadly it will remain the same!

Reply - Report abuse

ATLguy in Powder Springs, Georgia

72 months ago

Well I just got hired with US Airways Express and half the class are black women. Actually pretty good odds considering the black population is only 13% of the US total.

Reply - Report abuse

RJCrZy8 in Bayside, New York

72 months ago

Congrats!!! THATS FANTASTIC !!!!!!!Stay Positive & Be Aware Of Your Surroundings!!!!

Reply - Report abuse

Flyguy in Saint Charles, Missouri

72 months ago

ATLguy - When you take into account the 1,2, 3 hour sits between turns with 4-day parings worth maybe 15 block hours.. those crap $16..17..20/hr "flight pay" wages ends up averaging out to minimum wage... People get suckered by that.. no flight attendant should be making less than $30k.. unfortunate most regionals make less than 20...

Reply - Report abuse

Laelae

72 months ago

giveitabreak in Sydney, Australia said: Maybe it has something to do with your crappy economy rather than the colour of your skin? I have friends in the states ('others' and not)who are currently looking for work and who have good credentials and I know for a fact they have been to considerably more interviews than just five! You arent owed, so instead of perhaps crying the racist card why not take a positive approach and search harder? I wish you luck in your endeavours.

I agree with you 100%. Its all in your attitude and how you choose to view Life. You can take the Lemons and make lemonade or complain and not see results.

Reply - Report abuse

From Vegas in Talmage, Utah

72 months ago

Maybe its just you. After 30 interviews, maybe its time to find something else

Reply - Report abuse

From Vegas in Talmage, Utah

72 months ago

Sorry, 5 interviews and 30 apps

Reply - Report abuse

ickick in Charlotte, North Carolina

72 months ago

Flyguy in Saint Charles, Missouri said: ATLguy - When you take into account the 1,2, 3 hour sits between turns with 4-day parings worth maybe 15 block hours.. those crap $16..17..20/hr "flight pay" wages ends up averaging out to minimum wage... People get suckered by that.. no flight attendant should be making less than $30k.. unfortunate most regionals make less than 20...

As do several majors for first year flight attendants. It's the love of the job not the money.

Reply - Report abuse

school first in Richmond, Virginia

72 months ago

Imflyinghigh said: It is difficult for black FAs to be hired by international companies because we are seen differently in other countries. I am black and was lucky enough to be hired by my first airline. It is very difficult to get a job with the airlines as a FA. Yes racism still exist in everything!!Yes we still have to work twice as hard to get half as far. Don't get discouraged apply to everyone, go on interviews, present yourself well and keep your head up

Please don't even go there. I'm so sick of people using the "race" card. Be accountable for you and what you want in life and go out and so ambition! I am of color and let me tell you everytime I went out for something I received it because recruiters see I'm a person of conviction and willing to do my job. I'm also polished and educated. If you go around speaking the way you do and constantly fall back on your statement: "I have to work twice as hard to get half as far" you will NEVER get anywhere further then where you are non sister.

I'm sorry for any person who lives in the past. Many ethnic groups have suffered beyond words i.e., the Jews, American Native Indians, etc - yet we don't here the constant whining. MOVE FORWARD AND PLEASE DON'T PASS YOUR ATTITUDE DOWN TO YOUR CHILDREN.

Good luck and hope you use this constructive criticism to better yourself and others around you. Step outside your box.

Reply - Report abuse

George

72 months ago

Yeah stop playing the race card, it gets very old and you sounds like you feel you are entitled to a job. Millions of black folks in the USA are out of work due to a dismal economy..... not because of their skin color. GROW UP. !!!!!

Reply - Report abuse

George

72 months ago

RJCrZy8 in Bayside, New York said: Again...WALK IN OUR SHOES...comments are fruitless unless. Nothing will change the fact...500 years ago...500 years from now...it will sadly it will remain the same!

Sure, that why we have a black president.
I agree 100% with 'school first' that blacks need to stop living in the past and change their attitudes.

Good Luck Y'all

Reply - Report abuse

Nisa Lee in London, United Kingdom

72 months ago

I agree with you it is the same here in the United Kingdom in London, society is so racist especially when it comes to jobs. I have been unemployed for nearly three years now and I am really starting to get annoyed. I have a degree and a post graduate qualification and I am still finding it difficult to get a job and have now been placed on a back to work scheme, which is anything but helpful. That is why there is a need for affirmative action, because there are too many discriminatory practises, going on. People may not like affirmative action, but I feel that it is necessary to have in place due to racism in society. I also don't buy the "bad economy" excuse card, because if the majority of staff there are white and none are black, despite many black candidates going to interviews then there must be something going on. You should complain further if you see this is the case anthis is a clear example of why affirmative action is needed in society, the world is not passed it racial issues yet.

Reply - Report abuse

Nisa Lee in London, United Kingdom

72 months ago

Also I wish people would stop comparing Black History and experiences to Jewish, Native American and Asian History and experiences, it is not the same and is often compounded by the fact that Black Americans and West Indians were enslaved for an extremely long time, which has had a great effect on the aculmulation of wealth which also effects employment up to this day,If people don't like to here us complain so much, then why don't you pay up the compensation which is long overdue, so that we can create opportunities for ourselves, but no you would rather us rely on you, because then that would take away from white opportunities, Everyone knows this is true.

Reply - Report abuse

From Vegas in Roosevelt, Utah

72 months ago

Nisa Lee in London, United Kingdom said: Also I wish people would stop comparing Black History and experiences to Jewish, Native American and Asian History and experiences, it is not the same and is often compounded by the fact that Black Americans and West Indians were enslaved for an extremely long time, which has had a great effect on the aculmulation of wealth which also effects employment up to this day,If people don't like to here us complain so much, then why don't you pay up the compensation which is long overdue, so that we can create opportunities for ourselves, but no you would rather us rely on you, because then that would take away from white opportunities, Everyone knows this is true.

WOW... Talk about entitlement issues. You need help. Oh wait you got help. Its called Obama. He will save you when he redistributes wealth.

Reply - Report abuse

anyway

72 months ago

Nisa Lee in London, United Kingdom said: Also I wish people would stop comparing Black History and experiences to Jewish, Native American and Asian History and experiences, it is not the same and is often compounded by the fact that Black Americans and West Indians were enslaved for an extremely long time, which has had a great effect on the aculmulation of wealth which also effects employment up to this day,If people don't like to here us complain so much, then why don't you pay up the compensation which is long overdue, so that we can create opportunities for ourselves, but no you would rather us rely on you, because then that would take away from white opportunities, Everyone knows this is true.

girl bye!
MILLIONS OF JEWS DIED TRAGICALLY JUST AS BLACKS.
they both did not deserve what happened to them, but I'll be damned if me as a black women think I'm anymore entitled then those listed in your ignorant rant.

get off your high-horse and go get money.

Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.