express jet

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6001 to 6050 of 9978)
Page:  « First « Previous   118  119  120  121  122  123  124  Next »   Last »

livetofly peterson in elizabeth, New Jersey

14 months ago

JACKIE FLY BY NITE in ANNAPOLIS, Maryland said: Thanks kellie. This is a good question!!!

Pilot dude or someone who is currently employed by XJT. Is commuting hard with CJT? I'm likely to be based outta EWR.

Depends on your location. What is "CJT" -- I'm not familiar with that acronym.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

Stinkidog in Toledo, Ohio said: Eek...and I was planning on trying for ORD. Still seems like my best option for commuting reasons.

You can still try for ORD -- ORD will probably just be much more senior than it is now. You won't know until you ask.

Kelli123

14 months ago

So if there is space available u get to ride on delta

JACKIE FLY BY NITE in ANNAPOLIS, Maryland

14 months ago

livetofly peterson in elizabeth, New Jersey said: Depends on your location. What is "CJT" -- I'm not familiar with that acronym.

Livetofly...thank-you for your comments... companies are not made of bricks and mortar...they are made up of people with personalities and if your character is anything to go by....it must truly be a very good airline to work for....You have been extremely helpful.... Thankyou. In fact, everyone on this forum who currently works for XJT has been very kind and extremely informative...you dont always get that....skimming through other airline forums and youll see some really nasty comments being thrown around...from current and prospective staff.

Yeah look I am flexible - willing to do go wherever...although from what Ive been reading, XJT (thats what I meant to type earlier...CJT typo) seems to be an airline where most get their choice of base, if not immediately, a few weeks later...it also appears not to be as rigid as the mainlines?...I guess im just trying to get as much information as possible before driving 2 hours to the seminar next week.....I need to know I really want the role/job/lifestyle of an XJT FA before I go to the seminar. I too, DO NOT want to waste anyones time and effort in being offered a position, then consequence training, if Ive got doubts or im not willing 100%. If you know what I mean?

I hope you dont mind as Ive got another question[sorry]....I interviewed for USair and they were not very keen on anyone commuting, expecially reserve FA [and your reserve for 10 years with them]....some airlines dont mind, some do...so if I was to commute is XJT OK with their crew doing that? Like I suppose ill learn more at next weeks seminar but how easy is it to get a ride with the airlines they codeshare with? How do they organise their space available...seniority or gate check in time? Can you overide the standby and pay a percentage to up your chances of a seat? Thanks

14 months ago

Kelli123 said: Does anyone know when the next crj open house is?

There are currently no plans to host additional CRJ OHs for the next few months; however, that may change in the Fall. Tentatively, a July ERJ class is planned.

Good Luck!

Kelli123

14 months ago

Thanks so much!!!!

14 months ago

Stinkidog in Toledo, Ohio said:

It is possible to make money and still enjoy this lifestyle...the only problem is YOU HAVE TO WORK -- and YOU HAVE TO COME TO WORK! No, I'm not making the bucks I made when I had a REAL JOB, but -- I'm comfortable - and I don't pack lunches or eat Subway sandwiches on the road and I am able to shop on the long overnites.

You will be broke if you call out sick before you've even accrued sick leave -- and it will be a tight manage until you're off RSV and can put together productive trips.

If you don't want a long RSV cycle and want a RL or HL ASAP, I would bid MCI and then IAD. Having a LINE gives you SO MUCH MORE flexibility and you'll figure out how to work out the commute regardless of the origination JUST TO HAVE CONTROL over when you'll work. You'll understand all of this once you come out of training.

Yes -- the $38 hotel room is a good deal ... but if you're sitting on RSV for 6 days without an assignment, that's $240 spent for sitting -- pretty expensive huh? Likewise, if you just happen to get a HL or RL out of training (or minimal RSV time)at a more junior base, you can try to fix your schedule so that you can fly in on the day of your trip and fly home on the day of return.

With a line you're can work just about as many hours as you want per month with minimal days off.

Good Luck

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

Kelli123 said: So if there is space available u get to ride on delta

yes mam -- it's the same with SWA, JB and others. Fortunately, it's free of charge but unfortunately only YOU can ride based on the JS agreement.

We also have several ID90 agreements in place that allow you and your immediate family + parents to travel on other airlines if you're unable to use United.

Flyforlife in Spring, Texas

14 months ago

So if I'm going to training tomorrow but originally picked IAH, who thinks I could change my desired base to DEN? Or do I need to wait and request a transfer? If I need to request a transfer does anyone know the process and timeline. Thanks? Please advise.

Kelli123

14 months ago

Do u think getting a crash pad for mci or iad will be hard?

14 months ago

JACKIE FLY BY NITE in ANNAPOLIS, Maryland said:

Jackie -- you are too kind! I'm only too happy to assist. If you're really near or close to Annapolis, why wouldn't you select IAD as a base?

It is hard work initially, but the rewards are so worth it. I'd also recommend that you familiarize yourself with the WORK RULES of all the airlines you're planning to make application to.

@ Commuting - all airlines frown upon commuters, BUT really, all they really want you to do is to COME TO WORK & BE ON TIME. It's difficult to commute when you're sitting on RSV for 5 days straight unless you reside in base - so you'd have to get a crashpad. We have a lot of commuters -- even from Hawaii and other CONTINENTS -- lol!

If you're commuting on our metal (a flight we operate), you'll have priority on a seat and actual J/S (if the flight is full), on other metal -- you'll be prioritized after their employees, etc. To J/S on us, you just fill out the form at the gate, to J/S on other metal, you go to the gate and list with the GA. To passride on United, you just go in and list yourself on the flight.

Yes, you can purchase a ticket at a discount - but I've never done it.

Hope this helps ... let me know if you have other questions.

14 months ago

Kelli123 said: Do u think getting a crash pad for mci or iad will be hard?

MCI is a much cheaper location than IAD -- trust me when I say that. I'm not sure MCI is really set up for crashpads -- but that's not to say it won't be in the future and the rent there is cheap. IAD is more crashpad friendly because of the number of airlines that operate out of IAD, but you will be off RSV sooner in MCI and probably won't have a need for a crashpad after a few months.

Kelli123

14 months ago

You are wonderful!!! Tganks

14 months ago

Flyforlife in Spring, Texas said: So if I'm going to training tomorrow but originally picked IAH, who thinks I could change my desired base to DEN? Or do I need to wait and request a transfer? If I need to request a transfer does anyone know the process and timeline. Thanks? Please advise.

Stay with IAH -- you probably won't get it, BUT --- never bid OUT of a base if you ALREADY live there.

You may put in your transfer on the first day out of training. I live in IAH, didn't get it out of training, and I still commute -- for my line, it's well worth it.

Good Luck!

Kelli123

14 months ago

Live to fly where are u based?

Stinkidog in Toledo, Ohio

14 months ago

livetofly peterson in elizabeth, New Jersey said:

First and foremost let me say, I love you 'livetofly'!! And 'XJT and lovin it' and anyone else currently working for XJT and helping us dumb newbies out. I leave for training tomorrow too and all this advice is really helpful. I'm not stressing I can do the job, I'm stressing more about the logistics of commuting because I can't afford to relocate and don't even choose to at this point.
So long story short, you're thinking MCI would be better for short reserve time and ORD not so good. No one is talking much about CLE. That super senior and expected to remain so?

14 months ago

livetofly peterson in elizabeth, New Jersey said:

Thank you once again....Im so grateful for your information...

I WILL be requesting IAD but if I get EWR Im 2 hours drive away from that airport??? I live Nth of Annapolis nearer to BWI but look theres PHL, JFK etc etc...all within a few hours drive...

I gotta get the job first and foremost...but...Im now 100% decided to go for it...Ive become ver passionate towards XJT....

but hey...I got ONE More question....What sort of hotels do they put you up in when your away of layovers?

14 months ago

Besides....I could always set the RV up somewhere and use that as a crashpad...:)

14 months ago

Kelli123 said: Live to fly where are u based?

EWR - and I love it! I love IAH too but in EWR, the transportation system is one of the best in the country. There's no need for a vehicle and it's great to just be able to get on a train and ride up and down the east coast OR to be able to catch a flight to most places in the world.

14 months ago

JACKIE FLY BY NITE in ANNAPOLIS, Maryland said: Thank you once again....Im so grateful for your information...

I WILL be requesting IAD but if I get EWR Im 2 hours drive away from that airport??? I live Nth of Annapolis nearer to BWI but look theres PHL, JFK etc etc...all within a few hours drive...

I gotta get the job first and foremost...but...Im now 100% decided to go for it...Ive become ver passionate towards XJT....

but hey...I got ONE More question....What sort of hotels do they put you up in when your away of layovers?

Yes, you have a lot of options more than you can imagine. You also have LGA, don't forget that one as well as DCA.

Our hotels are very nice, we utilize the Marriott Family, Hilton Family, Starwood Family and Crowne Plaza frequently, but we will have a few variants every once in a while.

14 months ago

JACKIE FLY BY NITE in ANNAPOLIS, Maryland said: Besides....I could always set the RV up somewhere and use that as a crashpad...:)

Now that's any idea! lol!

14 months ago

Stinkidog in Toledo, Ohio said: First and foremost let me say, I love you 'livetofly'!! And 'XJT and lovin it' and anyone else currently working for XJT and helping us dumb newbies out. I leave for training tomorrow too and all this advice is really helpful. I'm not stressing I can do the job, I'm stressing more about the logistics of commuting because I can't afford to relocate and don't even choose to at this point.
So long story short, you're thinking MCI would be better for short reserve time and ORD not so good. No one is talking much about CLE. That super senior and expected to remain so?

Oops, never mind. I see CLE mentioned above as over senior for FA.

14 months ago

Question... Since these new bases aren't going to open until the end of August, are we going to have the opportunity to request them at training do you think? I know probably a question to ask when I get there. But I just looked up flights and there are four non-stops to IAD from DTW on United operated by Express Jet. That would be perfect.

XJT and lovin it

14 months ago

Stinkidog in Toledo, Ohio said: Question... Since these new bases aren't going to open until the end of August, are we going to have the opportunity to request them at training do you think?

You will be placed in one of the current bases after graduation, if you would like one of the new bases, you can put in a request on the day after graduation and you could possibly get one of them within a couple months based on movement in and out. As soon as we have a company wide bid for the new bases which is supposed to happen very soon, the company will know how many people will need to be sent to all of them.

They will then displace the newest hires at whatever hub needs to be reduced (ORD) and place them at the new bases to fill them up. As new hires come on board the next couple months, there will be plenty of movement and you will probably get the base you prefer. So PLEASE stay flexible and it will all work out.

I wanted IAH and got it after spending my first two months in ORD. Of course, all my classmates in ORD have a hard line now and I only have an occasional relief line. The newest bases will create more lineholders, so some of the newbies are jumping at the chance to be there to grab a line.

But as your class looks for crashpads, I would be careful about signing a lease if you do not get the base you prefer, knowing you will probably get it in a couple months and need to move. Many crashpads do not have leases and go month to month but you do need to give 30 days notice.

Good luck to all starting training this week , there is 95 total in ATL and IAH for our CRJ and ERJ flying. You are scheduled to graduate on the 28th. 80 just graduated on the 24 of May. 40 for ERJ and 40 for CRJ. Not sure how many more classes there will be. I know there is a July class forming for ERJ but I think the hiring may end soon. Good luck to e1

Kelli123

14 months ago

The people that graduate from the erj July class will be able to bid for the new lines?? Also after bidding would they be able to see which base will allow them to hold a line?

14 months ago

Kelli123 said: The people that graduate from the erj July class will be able to bid for the new lines?? Also after bidding would they be able to see which base will allow them to hold a line?

Yes, they will be able to bid for the new lines. I'm sure the process will be explained to you in training. We can see approximately where we stand in seniority in all the bases before the bidding process begins each month. Relatively speaking, the bid seniority from the previous month will give a pretty good indication of where you will stand in regard to seniority at each of the bases for the next month.

14 months ago

Stinkidog in Toledo, Ohio said: Question... Since these new bases aren't going to open until the end of August, are we going to have the opportunity to request them at training do you think? I know probably a question to ask when I get there. But I just looked up flights and there are four non-stops to IAD from DTW on United operated by Express Jet. That would be perfect.

See girl, you've already taken on the mind of the perfect FA -- you've figured out your commute with no assistance! Good job - lol!

Good luck with training!

14 months ago

livetofly peterson in elizabeth, New Jersey said: See girl, you've already taken on the mind of the perfect FA -- you've figured out your commute with no assistance! Good job - lol!

Good luck with training!

Well thank you...I'm learning from the best! ;)

14 months ago

Stinkidog in Toledo, Ohio said: Well thank you...I'm learning from the best! ;)

Yes....Good luck with it all....

1st day today!

Kelli123 in Chicago, Illinois

14 months ago

After interview and drug test how long does it take to get a confirmed training date

Kelli123 in Chicago, Illinois

14 months ago

Do u get any money at the end of training

14 months ago

Kelli123 in Chicago, Illinois said: Do u get any money at the end of training

Kelli, are you about to attend an Open Day/training?

Kelli123

14 months ago

I did today

PitotDude in Henderson, Nevada

14 months ago

Kelli123 in Chicago, Illinois said: Do u get any money at the end of training

No, when I was there. We graduated, headed off to the airport right after and off we went to our base. It would be wise to save up a little cash before you head to training. You'll need it once you get to your base to start work. It might be a week before you get home.

Kelli123

14 months ago

Thanks Pilot Dude!!!

PitotDude in Henderson, Nevada

14 months ago

Kelli123 said: Thanks Pilot Dude!!!

No problem, happy to help. I've been there, know the challenges and think its important all of you know what you're about to get into since they really don't tell you much prior to training. Its a cool job. If you don't have any expectations on how you imagine it might be. The only real downside I saw, aside from the occasional stresses of being on reserve, was the pay. I aint gonna lie, its pretty bad. You'll get 2 checks a month. One with your per diem and one without. The one without the per diem will sting a little. You're gonna feel used and abused for a little while but remember, you're not working the normal, boring, day to day desk job shuffle and every day is different.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you're going to be overnighting in places like Little Rock, Rapid City, South Dakota, Green Bay and Madison, WI.Many times in the winter and let me tell you. Those places are friggin cold and you'll do an entire 4 day trip where all you see are snowy tundras. On occasion you might get a larger city but the biggest city you're going to see will be your base. The overnights will range from a short 8 hours to a sometimes, longer 24 hour. The long ones are few and far between while on reserve though. There will be more early morning shows then midday and evening ones. If you're paired with a cool crew, you can make even the crappiest of cities a fun overnight.

Some word of advice in training. Stay out of the drama that WILL happen between your classmates. Don't befriend those you know are going to be trouble. Youll know who they are

The Pilot in New York, New York

14 months ago

I dont understand. Is Expressjet taking any applications? because they never get back to me. I have so much family working for this company. WOW!!!!!!!!!

Kelli123

14 months ago

Hey pilot dude!! Are they going to decrease the old erj bases for the new ones or are the new ones going to be temp

PitotDude in Las Vegas, Nevada

14 months ago

Kelli123 said: Hey pilot dude!! Are they going to decrease the old erj bases for the new ones or are the new ones going to be temp

I don't believe there are plans to reduce anything. The 3 new bases have been around for a few years at XJT, they just weren't considered "bases" I did quite a few 4 day trips out of both DEN and IAD and never set foot in ORD,EWR or IAH. I was ORD based back then. MCI has always been a big outstation for XJT. They have had a lot of presence there for the past few years. Here are the staffing numbers for the new bases. DEN will be the most senior and IAD more junior. MCI, I'm not sure, but I hear its getting a lot of bids. Thats according to the pilots. I'm not sure about FAs.

DEN: 80 crews (80 captains, 80 first officers, and 90 flight attendants)
IAD: 70 crews (70 captains, 70 first officers, and 65 flight attendants)
MCI: 80 crews (80 captains, 80 first officers, and 80 flight attendants)

kmdupuis in Lafayette, Louisiana

14 months ago

Hi all! I just attended the OH in IAH yesterday and was processed through the pre-employment screening. I was beyond excited to get the end of the packet and sign the Conditional Offer of Employment. As I start planning out what my life could look like as an XJT Flight Attendant (provided I get that all important email in 7-10 business days), I have a few questions. Anything you can offer up would be a huge help!

1. How far into your training do you find out which domicile you will be assigned?
2. How much time elapses between graduation and when you are expected to report to your new base? Does the airline put you up in a hotel for the first few days at the new base or do you have to figure that out for yourself?
3. Is there a comprehensive site that lists out available crashpads?
4. I read several references on this forum to switching to new bases after a few months as needs change. Is that only if the FA requests it, or can the airline basically inform you that you are being transferred?

I'm not going to lie, I may be having a minor panic attack lol! I want this so bad, but the semantics of making it happen is a little overwhelming.

Kelli123

14 months ago

They are taking bids for new bases already??? Oh my! That means when the July erj class graduates they might not get a line out of training

Kelli123

14 months ago

So if u were a new flight att right out of training where would u bid first

14 months ago

PitotDude in Las Vegas, Nevada said: I don't believe there are plans to reduce anything. The 3 new bases have been around for a few years at XJT, they just weren't considered "bases" I did quite a few 4 day trips out of both DEN and IAD and never set foot in ORD,EWR or IAH. I was ORD based back then. MCI has always been a big outstation for XJT. They have had a lot of presence there for the past few years. Here are the staffing numbers for the new bases. DEN will be the most senior and IAD more junior. MCI, I'm not sure, but I hear its getting a lot of bids. Thats according to the pilots. I'm not sure about FAs.

DEN: 80 crews (80 captains, 80 first officers, and 90 flight attendants)
IAD: 70 crews (70 captains, 70 first officers, and 65 flight attendants)
MCI: 80 crews (80 captains, 80 first officers, and 80 flight attendants)

There will be reductions at some of the existing bases.

14 months ago

Kelli123 said: So if u were a new flight att right out of training where would u bid first

IAD or MCI.

14 months ago

Kelli123 said: They are taking bids for new bases already??? Oh my! That means when the July erj class graduates they might not get a line out of training

No, they won't have a line coming out of July training -- they will go to one of the existing bases until the new bases are open.

14 months ago

Kelli123 said: Hey pilot dude!! Are they going to decrease the old erj bases for the new ones or are the new ones going to be temp

Yes.

14 months ago

kmdupuis in Lafayette, Louisiana said: Hi all! I just attended the OH in IAH yesterday and was processed through the pre-employment screening. I was beyond excited to get the end of the packet and sign the Conditional Offer of Employment. As I start planning out what my life could look like as an XJT Flight Attendant (provided I get that all important email in 7-10 business days), I have a few questions. Anything you can offer up would be a huge help!

1. How far into your training do you find out which domicile you will be assigned?
2. How much time elapses between graduation and when you are expected to report to your new base? Does the airline put you up in a hotel for the first few days at the new base or do you have to figure that out for yourself?
3. Is there a comprehensive site that lists out available crashpads?
4. I read several references on this forum to switching to new bases after a few months as needs change. Is that only if the FA requests it, or can the airline basically inform you that you are being transferred?/QUOTE]

1. First or second week
2. We left graduation for the airport headed to our new bases -- this may have changed. You have to figure out living arrangements for yourself. It would probably behoove you to start planning while you are in training so that you won't be overwhelmed once arriving at your new base. If you live in LFT as your moniker implies - you should probably bid IAH as your first choice - your commute is fairly easy as you're only about 3 hrs away driving and 40 minutes in flight time. Then consider your other choices should you NOT get IAH.
3. No - the trainers will assist with this.
4. 2-part question - a) You may request a base transfer on the first day at your new base -- it may take a couple of months or so for your request to be honored. b) They can send you to any base without your permission if there is a need -- it's called displacement.

kmdupuis in Lafayette, Louisiana

14 months ago

Livetofly, that was ridiculously helpful. Thank you! Have another question - is it really that plausible to commute like you mentioned (assuming I would get IAH?) What would that look like for an FA on reserve?

XJT and lovin it in Houston, Texas

14 months ago

There will be 171 FAs reduced from ORD. Much less from the other bases. Many of them will be going by choice, as this will give them a possible chance to hold a line at the new bases. Some of the FAs at each of the new bases will have lines and some will be on reserve, just like all the existing bases, Most likely, anyone coming out of training right now will be on reserve unless there is no one senior to them to switch bases. All or most of the newbies will be on reserve just as I was (and still usually am). I do get a very occasional relief line but 9-10 months a year, I am on reserve. Of course, I do usually get the reserve line that I want with the days off that I prefer.

14 months ago

kmdupuis in Lafayette, Louisiana said: Livetofly, that was ridiculously helpful. Thank you! Have another question - is it really that plausible to commute like you mentioned (assuming I would get IAH?) What would that look like for an FA on reserve?

Yes, I think it is feasible as there are several roundtrip flights a day between IAH-LFT once you are off 24-hr RSV and you can hold a RSV call-out line. Unless you have a relative or BFF that lives in IAH that you bunk with when you're just sitting RSV -- it might be a good idea to look into temporary living arrangements until you can hold a call-out line, but at least you'll be close to home.

Page:  « First « Previous   118  119  120  121  122  123  124  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.