Page:  « First « Previous   123  124  125  126  127  128  129  Next »   Last »

livetofly peterson in elizabeth, New Jersey

10 months ago

Mark said: Is Houston a pretty senior base

Yes

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

10 months ago

Mark in Norcross, Georgia said: How can u ask to go to training for crj side after being hired for erj side? Having as a base choice would be good.

CRJ Bases - ATL, DTW, ATL
ERJ Bases - IAH, CLE, EWR, ORD + DEN, IAD and MCI (TBD)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bailey25 in Holland, Michigan

10 months ago

XJT and lovin it in Houston, Texas said: Lunches are still provided, and I think cereal in the morning. Just the dinner vouchers are gone and there are some pretty cheap meals you can buy at Walmart.
Fifty seaters will be around for quite some time. the new order of planes from Skywest don't start being delivered til after 2020.

Lunch isn't provided. There is someone in the lunchroom offering food, but you pay for it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mark in Norcross, Georgia

10 months ago

Thanks live to gly

10 months ago

PitotDude in Las Vegas, Nevada said: Huh?? No more meal tickets? Seriously, that's nuts. They expect you to be completely self-sufficient during a non paid, 4 week training program? Eh, it was a lot different when I was there 3 years ago or so which was just prior to the ASA merger. They actually announced the official merger in our class one day. I wouldnt have even entertained the gig if there didnt have some training incentive like food in the deal. Even my current airline which is infamous for terrible FA work rules has paid training and meal vouchers.

The thing everyone getting into the 50 seat jet market should know is that those airplanes will not be around too much longer. Mainline is slowly eliminating 50 seaters from their contracts with their regional partners. XJT operates more 50 seaters than anyone in the world and Skywest (XJT Parent company) is getting larger RJS in the 76 seat range which UAL is actually paying for. Thats not good for anyone who works on a 50 seater. Id look at this job as a quick alternative to getting on with a legacy carrier as soon as they hire again, which I hear is very soon. XJT should not be a long term career goal for anyone.

The meal vouchers were provided for the weekends only -- I don't remember having vouchers during the week. With regard to 50 seaters becoming extinct all of a sudden, don't believe the hype. At some point and time XJet will upgrade to larger aircraft when the leases expire and these larger aircraft will require two flight attendants -- 1 per 50 pax; so even if there was a 2-1 exchange; 2-50 seaters for 1-76 seater the requirement would still be for 2 FAs. From a my perspective, the pilot group would be affected more by this transition than the FA group.

Flying and Stuff in Houston, Texas

10 months ago

PitotDude in Las Vegas, Nevada said:
The thing everyone getting into the 50 seat jet market should know is that those airplanes will not be around too much longer. Mainline is slowly eliminating 50 seaters from their contracts with their regional partners. XJT operates more 50 seaters than anyone in the world and Skywest (XJT Parent company) is getting larger RJS in the 76 seat range which UAL is actually paying for. Thats not good for anyone who works on a 50 seater. Id look at this job as a quick alternative to getting on with a legacy carrier as soon as they hire again, which I hear is very soon. XJT should not be a long term career goal for anyone.

Just because the 50-seaters are going doesn't mean that the company is going, too. XJT is growing and as it grows, they will be getting newer and bigger airplanes. It's not like the company is going to go out of business just because the 50-seaters are becoming less popular. Plus, there will still be a lot of connecting flights that mainlines will use the planes for because they are cheaper to operate and require fewer crew members.

10 months ago

Just so everyone knows, I just finished the class portion of training with XJT and I am about to do my IOE on Tuesday, so I can confidently say that there are NO meal vouchers. Not even on weekends. They do not provide lunch, but they do have someone at the cafeteria that brings in food you can purchase. They do, however, provide cereal in the morning, and twice now, they've brought in pizza for lunch. They also provide coffee throughout the day and sometimes we get brunch.

10 months ago

Where are u gonna be based?

10 months ago

Flying and Stuff in Houston, Texas said: Just because the 50-seaters are going doesn't mean that the company is going, too. XJT is growing and as it grows, they will be getting newer and bigger airplanes. It's not like the company is going to go out of business just because the 50-seaters are becoming less popular. Plus, there will still be a lot of connecting flights that mainlines will use the planes for because they are cheaper to operate and require fewer crew members.

Exactly! I worked a flight last week with a senior s-CO jumpseater who was concerned about the number of lines they were losing to the regionals. I've personally worked routes within the past couple of months that used to be flown by the larger ML aircraft, i.e., 737s. It's all about the bottom dollar, if UA can get us to fly 5 flights to a destination for less than they can fly one larger (737, 757, etc.) aircraft -- they will -- that's Business 101.

People will come on-line and complain about the horrible work rules and horrible pay associated with regional flying BUT, when considering all factors -- L-Xjet's pay is pretty close to the starting pay for a MLer and our contract is one of the best in the industry when all factors are considered; i.e., pay protection, trip rig, etc. The problem is that most FAs haven't taken the time to familiarize themselves with their contract. This is a tough industry for the uninformed! IJS!

10 months ago

I will be based in Newark but only until MCI opens up. I'm bidding for MCI or DEN but because of my low seniority, I know I won't get DEN. MCI is looking good for me though.

And yeah, our contract is actually pretty fantastic as far as inflight contracts go. WE just went over it today and everything is pretty great. Union dues are a bit pricey, but they're tax-deductible, so that's okay with me. And the union agreement is fantastic as well. So even though the pay isn't the best there is, the benefits are amazing. Plus, we get discounts on almost anything we could ever need.

10 months ago

When u say mci looks good does that mean u might hold a line soon? If so how many months?

10 months ago

It basically means that it's looking good that I can transfer there pretty quickly. I don't know how junior it will be yet. Probably won't know until I get there but I hear it'll be a pretty junior base. No idea how long it will take me to get a line though. It's different for everyone depending on your base and what time of year/how many people are there.

9 months ago

Is the travel pro lugg payroll deducted and can u buy it on the spot before leaving for ioe

9 months ago

It is not payroll-deductible. You must pay with a credit card or cash while you're training but if you buy it early enough, it should arrive before your IOE. I paid for mine in cash and got it that same day, but they only have a limited stock there and I bought the last one they had. They had to order the rest.

9 months ago

Oh ok!! Do u think a lot of people will be moving to mci??

Flying and Stuff in Austin, Texas

9 months ago

There's really no way to tell until the base opens. It's not going to be nearly as popular as DEN but it'll probably be more popular than IAD.

9 months ago

Cool!! Thanks for the response

JACKIE FLY BY NITE in ANNAPOLIS, Maryland

9 months ago

Flying and Stuff in Houston, Texas said: It is not payroll-deductible. You must pay with a credit card or cash while you're training but if you buy it early enough, it should arrive before your IOE. I paid for mine in cash and got it that same day, but they only have a limited stock there and I bought the last one they had. They had to order the rest.

Omg. This is all starting to sound like a scam? I can't afford to pay for such luggage? Especially when I've got to fork out for breakfast lunch and dinner with no car no cooking facilities.,,, is this right ??

9 months ago

It's not a scam. They pay for your hotel accommodations. And they do provide cereal and apples for breakfast. If you're thrifty like me, you can easily eat cheaply every day. Instead of going out to eat or buying my lunch at the cafeteria, I buy cheap food at walmart and bring food there. And the luggage is a lot cheaper than anywhere else. You don't need to get the travel pro, either. As long as your suitcases are plain black and fit the size requirements, you're good.

There aren't any cooking facilities but most rooms do come with a mini fridge and a microwave.

This job isn't for everyone. You need to be creative and thrify to get by your first few years, but once you pay your dues, the benefits are magnificent.

Bailey25 in Holland, Michigan

9 months ago

JACKIE FLY BY NITE in ANNAPOLIS, Maryland said: Omg. This is all starting to sound like a scam? I can't afford to pay for such luggage? Especially when I've got to fork out for breakfast lunch and dinner with no car no cooking facilities.,,, is this right ??

There aren't too many airlines that provide everything during training including paying you. Some are better than others. You need to have some savings going into it.

PitotDude in Henderson, Nevada

9 months ago

Flying and Stuff in Houston, Texas said: Just because the 50-seaters are going doesn't mean that the company is going, too. XJT is growing and as it grows, they will be getting newer and bigger airplanes. It's not like the company is going to go out of business just because the 50-seaters are becoming less popular. Plus, there will still be a lot of connecting flights that mainlines will use the planes for because they are cheaper to operate and require fewer crew members.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I have no doubt XJT will be around for awhile, Im just saying there will be a reduction eventually. The 50 seaters, as many might think, are not cost efficient by any means. In fact, its cheaper to maintain a fleet of 737s. Most at UA are fairly new. They are more fuel efficient than aging RJs. XJT hasn't made a profit for UA since they started the contract. There was a rumor about XJT getting E170s but that was squashed with the announcement of Skywest getting them. All in all, Skywest runs the show and they will ultimately make the decision on what to do with XJT as the demand for 50 seaters begins to decrease. This is all speculation of course, but everything is pointing in that direction. Skywest getting the E170 flying is a huge indicator on where regional business is trending.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

9 months ago

So just as an update: We all got displaced. I was awarded Denver, and so were a few others but everyone else from our training class was re-assigned to Kansas City and Dulles. Nobody got to stay with their original bases but we knew this could happen when we applied, so I'm not upset about it and we really don't have a right to complain much because they asked us in the interview if we'd be willing to move wherever they send us and we all said yes. Even though I'll be on reserve for several years in Denver, I'm still super excited to start my new life out there!

Just got done with my IOE and I passed! That means on Friday, I'll be an official flight attendant for XJT!

kmdupuis

9 months ago

Flying and Stuff,
When you say you were displaced, did you still find out during training so you guys could plan a bit? Looks like my class will most likely be assigned off the bat to Denver, Dulles, or Kansas City. What are your plans for living arrangements once you get to Denver (if you don't mind me asking)? That's one of those things I'm very concerned about.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Karen in Jonesboro, Georgia

9 months ago

Flying and Stuff in Houston, Texas said: So just as an update: We all got displaced. I was awarded Denver, and so were a few others but everyone else from our training class was re-assigned to Kansas City and Dulles. Nobody got to stay with their original bases but we knew this could happen when we applied, so I'm not upset about it and we really don't have a right to complain much because they asked us in the interview if we'd be willing to move wherever they send us and we all said yes. Even though I'll be on reserve for several years in Denver, I'm still super excited to start my new life out there!

Just got done with my IOE and I passed! That means on Friday, I'll be an official flight attendant for XJT!

So you know u will be on reserve for five years. So what's the reserve time gonna be for mci or iAd ?

9 months ago

Flying and Stuff in Houston, Texas said: So just as an update: We all got displaced. I was awarded Denver, and so were a few others but everyone else from our training class was re-assigned to Kansas City and Dulles. Nobody got to stay with their original bases but we knew this could happen when we applied, so I'm not upset about it and we really don't have a right to complain much because they asked us in the interview if we'd be willing to move wherever they send us and we all said yes. Even though I'll be on reserve for several years in Denver, I'm still super excited to start my new life out there!

You do know that you can put in a transfer right away -- and because you were displaced, you will be able to transfer to your preferred base (based on seniority as relative to displacement order) BEFORE anyone who was not displaced, regardless of seniority.

9 months ago

livetofly peterson in elizabeth, New Jersey said: You do know that you can put in a transfer right away -- and because you were displaced, you will be able to transfer to your preferred base (based on seniority as relative to displacement order) BEFORE anyone who was not displaced, regardless of seniority.

I should clarify by saying transfer when an opening exists at your preferred base.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

9 months ago

Karen in Jonesboro, Georgia said: So you know u will be on reserve for five years. So what's the reserve time gonna be for mci or iAd ?

Don't know that RSV will be 5 yrs in DEN, especially since within that time frame FAs will I'm sure have the opportunity to transfer out.

Texasgirl

9 months ago

Did everyone pass the class ?

SwissMissx3 in Chicago, Illinois

9 months ago

Karen in Jonesboro, Georgia said: So you know u will be on reserve for five years. So what's the reserve time gonna be for mci or iAd ?

Where are you getting these numbers from? Five years on reserve? I got displaced to denver and from what I counted we only got 70 people. We need 90 there correct? The more people they hire the higher your number will go. Either way, 5 years sounds much better than 25 years on reverse. Spoke to a United FA and shes been with the company for 8 years and is still on reserve. She won't hold a line until 25 years in. OUch!

9 months ago

Someone stated earlier about a five year reserve in Denver! I am not complaining. I just wondered if someone could help me choose the most junior base. That's all!

SwissMissx3 in Chicago, Illinois

9 months ago

SwissMissx3 in Chicago, Illinois said: Where are you getting these numbers from? Five years on reserve? I got displaced to denver and from what I counted we only got 70 people. We need 90 there correct? The more people they hire the higher your number will go. Either way, 5 years sounds much better than 25 years on reverse. Spoke to a United FA and shes been with the company for 8 years and is still on reserve. She won't hold a line until 25 years in. OUch!

OOps didnt count the ones that got awarded! Either I'm putting my bid to come back to chicago asap.

9 months ago

I would graduate at the end of July so I was just reaching out for some guidance.

9 months ago

Karen in Jonesboro, Georgia said: Someone stated earlier about a five year reserve in Denver! I am not complaining. I just wondered if someone could help me choose the most junior base. That's all!

Most junior base will probably be MCI -- then IAD -- then EWR -- we even displaced newbies to EWR because there are quite a few FAs that are transferring from EWR to IAD.

I believe that there are still going to be some displacements out of ORD since staffing levels have been cut drastically and even with the transfers and newbie displacements it appears the number still has not been met. But that's just my opinion.

9 months ago

SwissMissx3 in Chicago, Illinois said: OOps didnt count the ones that got awarded! Either I'm putting my bid to come back to chicago asap.

Yeah I believe DEN is within 8-10 of the required staffing levels as of yesterday.

Texasgirl

9 months ago

livetofly peterson in elizabeth, New Jersey said: Most junior base will probably be MCI -- then IAD -- then EWR -- we even displaced newbies to EWR because there are quite a few FAs that are transferring from EWR to IAD.

I believe that there are still going to be some displacements out of ORD since staffing levels have been cut drastically and even with the transfers and newbie displacements it appears the number still has not been met. But that's just my opinion.

Will it be easy to get into EWR base.

9 months ago

So last question. Do u think the reserve time is going to be six months to a year in mci or two or more years. Deciding on apt options

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

9 months ago

Texasgirl said: Will it be easy to get into EWR base.

Today, I would say yest -- tomorrow may be another story.

9 months ago

Karen in Jonesboro, Georgia said: So last question. Do u think the reserve time is going to be six months to a year in mci or two or more years. Deciding on apt options

MCI will probably be 6-12 mos.

The Pilot in New York, New York

9 months ago

PitotDude in Las Vegas, Nevada said: Huh?? No more meal tickets? Seriously, that's nuts. They expect you to be completely self-sufficient during a non paid, 4 week training program? Eh, it was a lot different when I was there 3 years ago or so which was just prior to the ASA merger. They actually announced the official merger in our class one day. I wouldnt have even entertained the gig if there didnt have some training incentive like food in the deal. Even my current airline which is infamous for terrible FA work rules has paid training and meal vouchers.

Not exactly.....Skywest is getting E-175's operating as United Express. Skywest owns Expressjet............So in due time Expressjet will get rid of their 50 seaters "eventually" and get E-175's. Don't worry future Expressjet Flight attendants. Your jobs wont be at stake.

Sky Blue Rose in Saint Paul, Minnesota

9 months ago

livetofly peterson in elizabeth, New Jersey said: Most junior base will probably be MCI -- then IAD -- then EWR -- we even displaced newbies to EWR because there are quite a few FAs that are transferring from EWR to IAD.

What are the numbers looking like for Houston? With a projection of 44 reduced how is that compared to the number of transfers?

9 months ago

Thanks!!

Texasgirl

9 months ago

Thank you, are you out of EWR?

9 months ago

I'm all excited about training. Who else here starts on the 8th?

The Pilot in New York, New York

9 months ago

Will Expressjet be taking anymore interviews??

9 months ago

I am starting on the 8th

9 months ago

Texasgirl said: Thank you, are you out of EWR?

Are you referring to me? If so, yes I'm an EWR commuter.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

PitotDude in Las Vegas, Nevada

9 months ago

The Pilot in New York, New York said: Not exactly.....Skywest is getting E-175's operating as United Express. Skywest owns Expressjet............So in due time Expressjet will get rid of their 50 seaters "eventually" and get E-175's. Don't worry future Expressjet Flight attendants. Your jobs wont be at stake.

I disagree. Who is going to pay for the 175s? UA wont unless the flying is being done by Skywest. They purchased those 175s them with the intent of giving that flying to Skywest. My guess is that it was a way for UA to pay back the millions of dollars Skywest loaned them pre merger. The system wide assumption is that UA loves Skywest and hates XJT. They would like nothing more than to cut them lose, and Im sure they would if Skywest didnt have a stake there. Dont get me wrong, I love XJT and the people there were wonderful to work with (aside from management), however, they haven't been the best regional partner for UA the past few years. In the end, it comes down to money and XJT isnt the producing juggernaut they may have been for CAL.

9 months ago

I just got flight info for training but no hotel. When does that cone out

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Texasgirl in Tampa, Florida

9 months ago

livetofly peterson in elizabeth, New Jersey said: Are you referring to me? If so, yes I'm an EWR commuter.

I just bought a house I hope I stay in ewr

9 months ago

Texasgirl in Tampa, Florida said: I just bought a house I hope I stay in ewr

I dont think you would have too much trouble if you had to commute from EWR....or so they all say....but How long does it take to get to DEN from EWR?

Page:  « First « Previous   123  124  125  126  127  128  129  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.