Building a car hauler business

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 163)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Tim in Memphis, Tennessee

41 months ago

Hello board.. I'm looking to get into car hauling.. I have A few questions, Can i use a flatbed trl instead of a wedge? I just want to be open to other freight as well if so what length can use for three cars?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

herbsthauling

41 months ago

Hello,
I know that you posted this a couple of months ago. We live in Georgia and are starting our own business. We are about to purchase the truck and trailer. Other then insurance and an MC number, what else is needed. Can you please contact me at herbsthauling@yahoo.com. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

petr56 in Arvada, Colorado

41 months ago

hello, i am new to this but iv been wanting to start a car hauling business i have my truck im looking for a trailor im getting insurance right now but iv reached a point where i dont know what to do can somebody please help me in gettin my business. iv always held my own businesses but getting started with this one is tough.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Randy

39 months ago

Hi my name is Randy in located in Miami, FL an would like to start my own
Transport company. I already have my corporation , my truck which is a 2006 Ford F350 (but not 4x4)
I have a trailer being offer to me a Kaufman and a take 3 both 3-4 car haulers
One is 50' the other 53' I dot know which is a better choice? And da weight ratio
Also I wanna know what's next? Insurance or usdot# and Mc#? In which order?
And I don't have a CDL so I need to stay under 26k
Anyone can give me suggestions or ideas??

Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Danny in Jacksonville, North Carolina

39 months ago

Randy said: Hi my name is Randy in located in Miami, FL an would like to start my own
Transport company. I already have my corporation , my truck which is a 2006 Ford F350 (but not 4x4)
One is 50' the other 53' I dot know which is a better choice? And da weight ratio

Thank you

Randy, that 26k you must be under if you don't have a CDL is the total weight of truck, trailer, and cargo. So theoretically speaking, 8000lb truck, 6500lb trailer is 14,500 lbs, leaving you enough for 11,500 lbs of cars. That's like 1 full sive truck and a small car, or 3 small cars, or two full size cars / SUV's. Not the biggest money maker is what I'm saying. My registration is for 30k (I have my CDL) and that extra 4k is a BIG difference in how much you can potentially make. If you can get it, I'd say go for it, it'll pay off!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Danny in Jacksonville, North Carolina

39 months ago

joycetransport in Tifton, Georgia said: going to start next mouth i have a 2007 chvey 2500 classic with a 6.6 duramax motor im getting a 4 car trailer weighing 1400 to 1800 gvwr will that be to much for my truck or will i be fine for a while oh yeah ill need loads to lol

What trailer that hauls 4 cars is only weighing 1800lbs??? And a 2500 is no enough for a 4 car trailer. Not being mean, just realistic. To haul 4 cars you will need a dually, no questions asked. That 2500 will continually brake down, and you will be a hazard to the roads- just asking too much from a 3/4 ton suspension. Please do some more research so you can make a well informed business decision.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

longhanna in Gaffney, South Carolina

39 months ago

Nextdeal in Lebanon, Tennessee said: Hi Bill,

Are you still needing info on auto hauling? Let me know and I 'll see what I can do to help. Many years experience. Husband passed this year so I have been out of the loop, but I'll bet I can help you. Let me know. Many Thanks, Brenda Crossroads Auto Dispatch.

Hi I need help. Do you have an e mail address. I promise I will try to be brief.My name is Steven. longhannay@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Kennedy. in Augusta, Georgia

39 months ago

Hello my name is Kennedy, i'm looking into starting a car hauling business and i've been doing alot of research to find out how to get started the right way. I do have my class A cdl and i wanted to know if anyone could give me any advice on the insurance that i would need to operarte my business. I plan to start out with a 96-01 ford f350 dually with a 7.3 powersrtoke and a kauffamn 3-4 car gooseneck trailer. I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

steve linton

39 months ago

need help on how to charge customer in the best and reasonable way. By mileage or per vehicle working with a 5 car hauler. Thnks

steve linton Orlando Fl.

39 months ago

Another quick question, starting with a 2008 f450 xlt dually 6.8 desiel, and a 5 car hauler. Want to run local and over the road a few times. But mostly Georgia to Miami. Is the choice of tools workable to do the job and maintain. Deeply apreciate the advice and guidance. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Pao in Saint Paul, Minnesota

39 months ago

Hi,
I want to start my own car hauling business. I'm new to this and I need help on starting up this business. I'm going to be using my 2011 Toyota Tundra and a 20ft enclosed trailer to haul 1 car. I know it's not a money making but it's just something to start up with. Plus I'm just gonna be traveling within 500 mile radius. They truck will stay under 26k GVWR so I won't need a CDL. But do I need a DOT# and MC#? How about IFTA tax and Heavy Vechile Highway tax? Do I need to follow any rulse as a semi truck and do a pretrip inspection everyday? And am I limit to 11 hour of driving like a semi trucker? Do I need a driver daily log? What else do I need and is require beside insurance? If anyone can email me information it will be helpful, Thanks.
My email: pster05@live.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Jollygood in Sugar Land, Texas

38 months ago

Ok, I took a load for too little and the customer closed just before I got there. The would not open for me to drop the inoperable vehicle. I am forced to take the load back to my yard and will be adding
$100.00 for storage. This will make me late for my pick up tomorrow.

Am I within my rights to charge the extra fee?? BTW, I have the title to the vehicle and could sell it for scrap for $500, but I don't want to be like that.
Frustrated with unreasonable customers.....

Danny SemperFiServices in Oceanside, California

38 months ago

Jollygood in Sugar Land, Texas said: Ok, I took a load for too little and the customer closed just before I got there. The would not open for me to drop the inoperable vehicle. I am forced to take the load back to my yard and will be adding
$100.00 for storage. This will make me late for my pick up tomorrow.

Am I within my rights to charge the extra fee?? BTW, I have the title to the vehicle and could sell it for scrap for $500, but I don't want to be like that.
Frustrated with unreasonable customers.....

Well if you guys agreed to a drop time, and you were late- either due to planning, traffic, or whatever, then technically and morally you are responsible for the delivery of the vehicle. If he closed earlier than you're agreed drop time, then he "should" man up and pay for the extra costs for fuel and time on your part. I've missed drop times before because of unexpected traffic, and just held it til the next day and dropped it at first opening, and apologized for keeping him waiting. Never had someone close early on me though

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

randy in Homestead, Florida

38 months ago

Danny in Jacksonville, North Carolina said: Randy, that 26k you must be under if you don't have a CDL is the total weight of truck, trailer, and cargo. So theoretically speaking, 8000lb truck, 6500lb trailer is 14,500 lbs, leaving you enough for 11,500 lbs of cars. That's like 1 full sive truck and a small car, or 3 small cars, or two full size cars / SUV's. Not the biggest money maker is what I'm saying. My registration is for 30k (I have my CDL) and that extra 4k is a BIG difference in how much you can potentially make. If you can get it, I'd say go for it, it'll pay off!

WELL THANK YOU VERY MUCH DANNY. i have had other people tell me the same but for right now i need to get moving atleast to make some cash then take my classs and get my CDL license. i guess ill have to start moving small cars and try to stay under 26k.. also i was thinking stay intrastate not interstate. will that be smart? under 500 miles radius? and also if you can answer me this question.. should i get trailer firdt then MC# and usdot# or numbers first then trailer or does the order matter?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

steve linton Orlando Fl.

38 months ago

When gettin started, how do u go by getting work. Some people say central dispatch, or auction. Which one is more realiable to work with?. Whats the going rate per vechicle these days?. Would glady appreciate the info. Thanks STEVE. You reach me at bashman1978@yahoo.com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

H.A.J in New Bedford, Massachusetts

38 months ago

What's going on everybody .My names Saint and I'm new to this . I have a three car trailer and would to know What's the going rate for maybe let's say a 10-30 mile trip. Is there
A set rate for short distance like that or should I just be charging by the mile , And if so what's todays going rate per mile . Thanks to whoever responds.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Stark in Renton, Washington

38 months ago

I have thought about getting into the hauling business for a while now just not sure what the market is like in the Pacific Northwest more specifically the Seattle area. Some say to get into the car hauling same say to get into the get a flatbed goose neck trailer and haul anything, I have no idea what rates are or what people charge to make a living at this. I am looking at getting a '06 dodge 3500 (non dually) would this be enough to haul cars or construction equipment or would it be better to get a dually. Any thoughts or suggestions would help, Thank You Kindly!!

Danny SemperFiServices in San Diego, California

38 months ago

Stark in Renton, Washington said: I have thought about getting into the hauling business for a while now just not sure what the market is like in the Pacific Northwest more specifically the Seattle area. Some say to get into the car hauling same say to get into the get a flatbed goose neck trailer and haul anything, I have no idea what rates are or what people charge to make a living at this. I am looking at getting a '06 dodge 3500 (non dually) would this be enough to haul cars or construction equipment or would it be better to get a dually. Any thoughts or suggestions would help, Thank You Kindly!!

You will need a dually if you want to haul decent paying loads. Yeah both theoretically have the same capacity, but try whiping round a corner with a 20-25k trailer on a single wheel truck and see what happens. Duallys are safe, CAN support more weight, and give you peace of mind. THe only drawback is decreased mileage and more expensive when you gotta put new shoes on her, but I can live with that for the benefits.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Stark in Port Angeles, Washington

38 months ago

Danny SemperFiServices in San Diego, California said: You will need a dually if you want to haul decent paying loads. Yeah both theoretically have the same capacity, but try whiping round a corner with a 20-25k trailer on a single wheel truck and see what happens. Duallys are safe, CAN support more weight, and give you peace of mind. THe only drawback is decreased mileage and more expensive when you gotta put new shoes on her, but I can live with that for the benefits.

How do you figure out what the going rates in your local market? Would I need a business license to do transporting? Is there always going to be a market for this line of work? How can I make sure I am able to be profitable at this?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Maceo in Plainfield, New Jersey

38 months ago

I am brand spankin new to the car hauling business. I have jumped feet first by buying a ten car hauler. Does anyone have any advice how to get started with brokers other than the only site that has been listed here. Also what option are out there to start under a company's insurance and then once capital is built to break off on my own? Are there a lot of jobs that are COD? What is the average turn around time on loads? Does anyone use factoring companies? Are they worth it? Anyone willing to take a newbie under their wing with expertise and advice, I am willing to listen and take notes!!!

Maceo in Plainfield, New Jersey

38 months ago

I am brand spankin new to the car hauling business. I have jumped feet first by buying a ten car hauler. Does anyone have any advice how to get started with brokers other than the only site that has been listed here. Also what option are out there to start under a company's insurance and then once capital is built to break off on my own? Are there a lot of jobs that are COD? What is the average turn around time on loads? Does anyone use factoring companies? Are they worth it? Anyone willing to take a newbie under their wing with expertise and advice, I am willing to listen and take notes!!!

justin in Humble, Texas

38 months ago

i am wanting to buy a couple trucks and 3 car wedges and have someone run them under my insuarance i live in houston and work is plentiful i was gonna buy fords im a diesel tech and can do my own repairs i just wanna make some extra money and own my own bussiness

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

justin in Humble, Texas

38 months ago

Larry in Vacaville, California said: I have searched this message board and other sites on the net and would like to hear from other brokers are the relationships needed to begin a car broker business and some of the ins & outs that come with being around the business. Not looking to make lots of money over-nite, just something to grow and make better over the years. In Ca. there must be enough work to keep another broker busy.

Would like to hear from brokers with advice or assistance to get started.

larsosu@aol.com

i would also like to get into this i wanna own a couple trucks to start and get drivers i live in houston so i know there is work lets chat

nextdeal in Lebanon, Tennessee

38 months ago

My son in law has a Pete for sale. Interested? Let me know. Thanks, Brenda

stevil in Portland, Oregon

38 months ago

reminds me of a really old joke:

Question: How do you make a million dollars hauling cars?

Answer: Start out with two million.

nit2win in Woodstock, Georgia

37 months ago

grimrepo in Canton, Georgia said: been in car hauling since 1997. yes i started out doing it all myself. i have driven trucks(owner/operator) have leased trucks on, brokered freight, dispatched, have leased on to other companies. i have extensive knowledge, hands on, of the car hauling business in every aspect. i was on centraldispatch when it first started in 99 and can remember only seeing a few names everytime i went on there. now there is probably 50,000 carriers, brokers, car dealers. wish i was central dispatch!

Hi grimrepo, I'm located in Woodstock,Ga. I have a few questions that I would like to ask. Please shoot me an email nit2win@att.net when you have time. Thanks

school you in Leland, North Carolina

37 months ago

I will teach you how to run up to a 13 vehicle car hauler for $5000. have 4+ years experience working for them faqqots over at cassens transport.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

ken in Harrold, South Dakota

37 months ago

Stephan in Dayton, Ohio said: Looking for a experienced car hauler. If interested please email stephan.taylor@att.net (Stephan Taylor, Taylor Auto Transport Inc.), position and truck avaliable now.

what kind of hauler do you have i use to deliver cars from vegas to minn,with a 97 dodge 3500 and a 2 car trailer i dont have a cdl didnt need it at that time,but im ex military so i dont sleep much i love to drive it relaxes me never had an acident in my 12 yrs of hauling.

john in Brooklyn, New York

37 months ago

i am used car dealer ,i have f 350 ,and i want to haul my own cars,3/4 cars ,do i have to get permit for that ,how it works ,thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jerryben12 in Lombard, Illinois

37 months ago

I need an advice on becoming a dispatcher. I have zero experience. Can I do this from my home? I really need someone to guide me step by step and show me really insiders secrets for success.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jerryben12 in Lombard, Illinois

37 months ago

I need an advice on becoming a dispatcher. I have zero experience. Can I do this from my home? I really need someone to guide me step by step and show me really insiders secrets for success.

Please send me an email if you can assist me in this direction. Jerrybenchi@yahoo.com

charles in Ambler, Pennsylvania

37 months ago

Heather78 in Cudahy, Wisconsin said: The most important thing to remember when getting into car hauling is insurance. CYA meaning Cover Your A$@. I'm the Regional Ops Manager for a car hauling and brokering outfit. I've helped a couple of friends start up their own rigs. It's not hard. You have your truck already. Just buy yourself a 3 car wedge( you can find them at auctions Kauffamn is a decent brand) get the insurance you need, and register with the website Central Dispatch and your ready to go... Or are you? Ask yourself some questions. Do you have the capital to work out of pocket for a month before the money rolls in, or will you need to take loads that are all COD(cash on delivery) or quick pay( pay within so many days after you fax in the bills less a whatever % fee) I'm not trying to discourage you. There is money to be made. But make sure you make the wise choices. If you have any questions feel free to email me directly and I will answer them best as I can, or get the answers for you. Heather@jamupautotransport.com

just read what i feel good information...i'm ready to get out the military and been thinking about the car hauling bussiness, this web site central dispatch, will it tell me everything about the pay and is it nessary to get paid monthly or will it give you a bad name for COD. i want to get a dodge 3500 w/5th wheel a 3 to 4 car carrier, but i need to have contacts, i live in the baltimore area just need alot of info. HELP>>> send everything you got phone#, fax, Email matter of fact im in PA. now at the Gap...

tow guy in Concord, California

36 months ago

I was a machanic for over ten years and now I open up my own tow business. I run regular flatbeds localy but I have been looking into getting a 4 car trailer and a dually dodge and dealiver to the dealers and maybe using it for running wrecked cars for copart. So then I can run 4 not just two any more. Is there any companies I could call in my area to find out what they will pay to deliver cars to the dealers in my area? Also does anyone haul wrecked cars on these kind of beds and is it harder to get the cars on and off for the delivers? I really don't want to go out of my area I would like to be able to drop a few cars for a dealer then pick up a few wrecked cars and come back and try to double up on my travels. Most of my trucks get 12 loaded with two cars what will I be looking at for MPG towing a 4 car trailer with a 3500 dodge diesel dually?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

sporter in Bel Air, Maryland

36 months ago

Hi Dino,

I am looking to get into the auto hauling business too. What is the best pick up truck to use in the industry? What are your thoughts on the C4500, I think it is a GMC product.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

Hi Maceo,

When you get your MC number and start going to the places to pick up autos to transport, they will come after you; so I am told by a friend that is in the business already. You may want get a TWIC card if you don't have one to move any loads of the ports. You will need it; it cost $132.50 and take 6 to 8 weeks to obtain. I believe they do a background check on you. You can call up some of the companies on Central Dispatch and let them know you are out there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

Gene,

I don't think you need a CDL for a 3 car hauler. If you are in a pick up truck, you are not considered commercial.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

SemperFiServices in Rancho Santa Margarita, California

36 months ago

sporter in Bel Air, Maryland said: Gene,

I don't think you need a CDL for a 3 car hauler. If you are in a pick up truck, you are not considered commercial.

WHOA- hold up on the bad gouge!! You more than likely WILL need a CDL with a 3 car wedge. Reason being any standard 3 car wedge will be over 18k (mine is rated for 21k) plus a 1 ton pick up being about 8k, you will be over 26k. SO, you can get by if the manufacturer rates it lower than normal, and as long as you keep it under 26k you'll be ok, but go ahead and get popped at 26,001 and standby for a DOT raping. Pick up or not- if you're over 26j YOU ARE COMMERCIAL- but in California you won't have to pull into the scales. I always say if you can get your CDL, get it- you can get better paying loads by virtue of being able to haul more, and it will help you be a safer driver. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Richard in Trenton, New Jersey

35 months ago

I currently have a day job and most likey i would do it in the tri state area on Saturdays only.
I have an F350 V10 gas and a 7x17 car trailer... it's not the 3 car haulers everyone talks about, but eventually it would be something i would consider.
also what are the rates per mile around New Jersey?
I tried Uship but could never win any bids where i would make a little more money then breaking even!!

Thanks.

Gene

35 months ago

Richard in Trenton, New Jersey said: I currently have a day job and most likey i would do it in the tri state area on Saturdays only.
I have an F350 V10 gas and a 7x17 car trailer... it's not the 3 car haulers everyone talks about, but eventually it would be something i would consider.
also what are the rates per mile around New Jersey?
I tried Uship but could never win any bids where i would make a little more money then breaking even!!

Thanks.

Some calculations on your question. Towing your F350 is spending 10-12mpg. The move of a regular sedan for example: From NJ to PA in a 430miles trip, gets paid $250-$300. Then you'll find a another car to get back for the same price. Basically, with your equipment in the best case scenario you'll make $600. You'll spend around 71 gallons (if the drop off and the pick-up from the first and the second trip are relatively close to each other) of gas x approx. $3.70/gal ~ $263 gas. I'm not counting the food, eventual repairs, tolls. 2 day trip you'll probably make $250-$300 (if there is a good fat tip). All calculations are approximate, based on the car pay at this moment on the national board.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

victor66 in Kissimmee, Florida

35 months ago

Randy said: Hi my name is Randy in located in Miami, FL an would like to start my own

Thank you

DOT #......Florida is very picky......CDL if you go over 26000

Kurt in Washington, District of Columbia

35 months ago

I'm trying to start a car hauling business. I purchased a F550 and have been working on it. Right now I'm saving for a trailer. I need some help. First off, I'm having trouble with the insurance. No tickets, accidents or anything like that, but the truck needs commercial insurance just because of it's size. However, I don't want to pay for Business level (million dollars) for the next 2 months when I'm not driving or in business. Can anyone suggest an insurance company besides Progressive? A company who actually knows what they are doing. I have Geico and I've gotten answers from a few thousands dollars to I can't be insured.

2nd, For getting insurance quotes I'm being asked what I'm going to haul? I said cars and any other equipment that will fit on a flat bed trailer. Seemed to confuse every insurance company that I called, almost making them sketchy about giving me a quote. Any suggestions on a 3 car hauler vs a 25-30' gooseneck flatbed?

3rd, do you think you could point me in the direction of financing for a trailer or sellers who might work a deal on a trailer?

Last, do you think I should get rid of my F550 dually and back down to a 350/3500 series dually. My GVW is 20k on the truck. The trailer puts me over 27k. I'm not sure it's worth the headache to keep the truck since it's the same 7.3 diesel and only the frame is bigger (expensive insurance, parts, inspection, etc).

Thanks in advance for your help

TheBusinessSpot@yahoo.com

Todd in Fall River, Massachusetts

34 months ago

H.A.J in New Bedford, Massachusetts said: What's going on everybody .My names Saint and I'm new to this . I have a three car trailer and would to know What's the going rate for maybe let's say a 10-30 mile trip. Is there
A set rate for short distance like that or should I just be charging by the mile , And if so what's todays going rate per mile . Thanks to whoever responds.

Hey Saint,
I don't have the answer to your question, but I want to start hauling cars also. I have many of the same questions as you. How are you developing your customer base? how to get into auctions, ect.I would love to network with you, maybe we could help each other. I'm beginning to learn just how secretive other haulers and action dispaters can be when you ask questions.
tplissey@comcast.net

-todd

sash in Teasdale, Utah

34 months ago

Have 8 car hauler. 91 Freightliner. Older truck w/ lower original engine miles. Runs strong. Apportioned for 48 states. Right now running in the western U.S. Making 3,500. average a trip. I am doing all the dispatching and paperwork for my boyfriend who is the driver. I want to pursue other interests, and also trying to support my mom right now through chemotherapy. Have considered selling the truck for 17,900., but my bf really likes it & wants to keep driving. Anyone wanna team up/partner with him so I can have more time? We could teach you all you want to know. You would have to bring something to the table, and work out details of a partnership. It also wouldn't cost that much more to add a second truck to our business. Any other ideas? Open to suggestions. Be safe out there! Email me: sash@rock.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nate in Nampa, Idaho

34 months ago

Hey everyone, i lost my job in January and used to help haul cars. I am looking for someone outside Nampa,Id to help me set up a 3/4 car transit business. anybody interested contact me at wrekincrewtowing@gmail.com. Please I am needing help in starting this up thanks!! I am in need of help with insurance requirements and permits going outside state lines.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Nate in Nampa, Idaho

34 months ago

Todd in Fall River, Massachusetts said: Hey Saint,
I don't have the answer to your question, but I want to start hauling cars also. I have many of the same questions as you. How are you developing your customer base? how to get into auctions, ect.I would love to network with you, maybe we could help each other. I'm beginning to learn just how secretive other haulers and action dispaters can be when you ask questions.
tplissey@comcast.net

-todd

I have been using searh engines for competive rates..To give you an example from Nampa ID to Seattle WA which is 500 miles roughly.. average cost is 500-800 a car depending on pick date and time... SHort haul in town the rates are about 100-150 / car for under 50 miles. But this is in Idaho. If you are interested please contact me @ wrekincrewtowing@gmail.com. I am also starting up a 1-ton hauling company with a 3-4 car hauler.

Alex in Las Vegas, Nevada

33 months ago

I have been in car carriers from 2008, it was bad and good. Moving cars from Chicago to LA. Small cars $700 and SUV $1000. The average in a good time is $2.20 per mile. From my experience the best is 7-8 cars carrier. You don't have to wait a long time to find for example 10 cars going the same way. Most of the customers expect their cars after 5-6 days. I never tried to drive these 5 cars carriers, Pete 330, is one truck - no trailer, very easy to drive in tide locations. In this business you need a very good dispatcher. It is not possible to make good money, if you dispatch your self.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

vazauto in Rochester, New York

32 months ago

I've been thinking of getting into the businss with the model 5pack. Does anyone think that would be a good idea?

Ontario Fullard in Florence, South Carolina

32 months ago

Heather78 in Cudahy, Wisconsin said: The most important thing to remember when getting into car hauling is insurance . CYA meaning Cover Your A$@. I'm the Regional Ops Manager for a car hauling and brokering outfit. I've helped a couple of friends start up their own rigs. It's not hard. You have your truck already. Just buy yourself a 3 car wedge( you can find them at auctions Kauffamn is a decent brand) get the insurance you need, and register with the website Central Dispatch and your ready to go... Or are you? Ask yourself some questions. Do you have the capital to work out of pocket for a month before the money rolls in, or will you need to take loads that are all COD(cash on delivery ) or quick pay( pay within so many days after you fax in the bills less a whatever % fee) I'm not trying to discourage you. There is money to be made. But make sure you make the wise choices. If you have any questions feel free to email me directly and I will answer them best as I can, or get the answers for you. Heather@jamupautotransport.com

Hello,My name is Ontario Fullard and im currently thinking about going into my car hauling business witht a friend of mines. Sitting back and thinking about all the expenses we will have to deal with has seem to be misunderstood because neither of us has ever did this before. But I currently hold a CDL, which i drove semi trucks. I would appreciate if you can let me know what are some of the major expenses we should be expecting and what should we do to get started(paperwork, expenses, etc)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

fire_lane_11 in Greensboro, North Carolina

30 months ago

nextdeal in Lebanon, Tennessee said: My son in law has a Pete for sale. Interested? Let me know. Thanks, Brenda

Brenda, are you crossroads dispatch?

Theresa in Essex, Maryland

27 months ago

I want to get in the business of car hauling/transportation.I"m reading everyone forum and it sound good. Could you help me and lean me in the right direction on how to get started. I heard from Maryland to California that it will pay about $3,000 a car. Is that true? I have call the labor, licensing and regulation and transporations department both stated that they dont give license for that type of business. Where can i apply for s license? Please feel free to email me at reaves.theresa@yahoo.com

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.