Building a car hauler business

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 177 of 177)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4   

dispatchdiva in Phoenix, Arizona

8 months ago

JAY GT in Gardendale, Alabama said: Hello-I have started my own Transporting business .I have a 2015 Dodge 3500 Crew Cab dually with Knapahiede steel bed-and 2015 Kaufman 56 Ft,(Flip-outs) 3/4 car gooseneck wedge trailer located in Birmingham,Alabama-I have a Class A CDL with double-triple endorsements and been a Truck Driver for over 20yrs.Ideally im looking for new car delivery to dealerships Intra-state throughout Alabama-then expanding-Ive really enjoyed this forum and the willingness of others.If anyone has connections to new or used car business (railroad hub)etc. or is in need of a hard working loyal honest contractor feel free to contact me to discuss further.Drive SAFELY and Happy Holidays.

OK As a dispatcher for trucks that use the same equipment as you there is a ton of money to be made. Most of the brokers that are working out of the "plants" are not posting their loads on central or anywhere else for that matter. How new to hauling are you? Do you have reviews on Central? If not most of these brokers won't even entertain the thought of working with you until you have 25 reviews or 9 - 12 months experience under your belt. I realize you've got 20 years industry but hauling brokers don't trust anyone especially when you are looking for new cars.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Delray100 in Snellville, Georgia

7 months ago

Starting car hauling this year I have a 2008 ford 350 dually no trailer yet. Is there anywhere in the Atlanta area that dispatches with their own trailers? I want to get experience before I buy my own trailer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

JoseyWales in Charlotte, North Carolina

7 months ago

Hi my name is Josey I'm located in North Carolina, I've never done this before but I'm hoping I can get great feed back and tips from others, I'm looking to start a small car hauling business with a dually truck and a 3/4 car hauler. I'm hoping someone out there can point me in the right direction to get me started

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Veroyfidel in California

6 months ago

Hi everyone, my husband and I are thinking of starting a auto transport business. We have seen a lot of your comments on this page and have seen a lot of you say there is money to be made in this type of business. Can anyone help me out with some questions we have about doing this in California? Thanks in advance. Is there a particular year or mileage the truck has to be or have? How to get in contact with brokers? Or is it best to do it on our own? Insurance? Bonds? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Veroyfidel in California

6 months ago

Hi Josh. Did you get any answer from this site? We are also trying to do the same thing. But like you have questions. What can you help us with? Maybe we can help each other.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Veroyfidel in California

6 months ago

Josh in San Ramon, California said: Hi fellas, Im new to transport businiess. Running a 3/4 car hauler now located in Central Cali. My question is this, can I find consistent loads with Central going and coming to/from Sac to Los Angeles and back or SF to Los Angeles and back? Ive never used Central but if i did, this is prob the route I would want to take on a weekly basis. Any help??

Hi Josh, did you get any answers from this site? We are also trying to do this in California. Maybe you can help us with some of our questions since I see you are way ahead of us. We are still trying to prepare mentally and financially. If you can help please let us know. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Veroyfidel in California

6 months ago

semperfiservices in Rancho Santa Margarita, California said: Jenkins, go to autoexpiditor.come and READ. Then READ MORE. So much valuable info there, but if you ask a dumb question that's clearly been answered twenty times already, you will get chewed up. There are several friends of mine in Missouri that could help with specifics to your state. I too a retired, started with a wedge, and now I make more than my CO ever did with my 7 . car.

Hi, we are trying to start an auto transport business, do you have any information you are willing to share. We are thinking of getting a 3500 dodge ram dualy. Does it have to be a certain year or mileage limits on it? Any thing you can help with is greatly appreciated

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Veroyfidel in California

6 months ago

semperfiservices in Rancho Santa Margarita, California said: Everyone wants to haul cars, but do you guys all understand what it takes to run a LEGAL business ? Lets say for the average 3 car wedge operation, FIRST, you need a CDL if you plan on running over 26,000 LBS gross. If you don't know what that means look it up or find a different line of work. Your standard 2010 and up 1 ton pickup, which is the absolute minimum to pull 3 cars, has a GVWR of 12k, the trailer is usually 14-21k depending on your axles. So if you're too lazy to get a CDL, make sure you NEVER weigh more than 26k, you will pay dearly for being over w/o a CDL. INSURANCE - at least $440 a month, IF you have a CDL. I don't even know who would insure you w/o a CDL. IFTA, DOT, and MC numbers, registration depending on how far you plan on operation. If you're in SoCal, you can stay in CA and make money. If you live in Maine, you're probably gonna need to branch out into other states. DO you have a nice $10k stash set aside for break downs etc? It happens- I just dumped $12k for new tires, tranny, and trailer brakes into my rig this PAST MONTH. Ouch, but I run a safe truck, if you're not willing to spend the money to run SAFE, stay off the road. Any questions lemme know.

Hi, yes we have lots if questions. We are trying to start a business in auto transport. We are thinking of 3500 dodge ram with a 3/4 car wedge. Is there a particular year we can have for the truck or mileage limit. How do we get a broker or is it best to do our own leg work? If you can help, we greatly appreciate it. Email is veroyfidel@aol.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

SilverBullet1 in Pataskala, Ohio

6 months ago

Hello I am looking to start my own car hauling business. I am confused with the CDL requirements. I have a Ford F 350 Super Duty and a 35 foot (2 car) hauler trailer. So the 26,000 lbs gross would include the total weight (my truck, trailer, and the 2 cars being hauled) correct?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

donthebroker in Chicago, Illinois

6 months ago

SilverBullet1 in Pataskala, Ohio said: Hello I am looking to start my own car hauling business. I am confused with the CDL requirements. I have a Ford F 350 Super Duty and a 35 foot (2 car) hauler trailer. So the 26,000 lbs gross would include the total weight (my truck, trailer, and the 2 cars being hauled) correct?

Okay, I'll make this as simple as possible here. If your combination, I.e., your truck and trailer, has a GVWR of 26000 or more, you'll need a CDL. If your towed unit has a GVWR of 10,000 or less, than you'll need a B CDL. If your towed unit has a weight rating of 10,001 or more, you'll need an A. This is regardless of the tow unit. Most likely, you'll need an A. Remember to go with the weight rating, not the empty weight.

SilverBullet1 in Pataskala, Ohio

6 months ago

donthebroker in Chicago, Illinois said: Okay, I'll make this as simple as possible here. If your combination, I.e., your truck and trailer, has a GVWR of 26000 or more, you'll need a CDL. If your towed unit has a GVWR of 10,000 or less, than you'll need a B CDL. If your towed unit has a weight rating of 10,001 or more, you'll need an A. This is regardless of the tow unit. Most likely, you'll need an A. Remember to go with the weight rating, not the empty weight.

Yeah i'm assuming the weight of my truck is at least 12k lbs and the GVWR on my trailer is 23,900 lbs. which would lead me to believe that I would need a class A CDL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

donthebroker in Chicago, Illinois

6 months ago

SilverBullet1 in Pataskala, Ohio said: Yeah i'm assuming the weight of my truck is at least 12k lbs and the GVWR on my trailer is 23,900 lbs. which would lead me to believe that I would need a class A CDL

Yes, you'll need an A CDL. Also, just a tip, if you know of anyone that already has the class A license, get them to rent you a penske day cab and trailer, that way you can get the airbrake endorsement and don't get stuck with the auto transmission only restriction. IMHO, the license is virtually worthless if you do t have those. God forbid you want to drive something besides your pickup and trailer, the A with endorsements opens a world of expansion/opportunities.

Allan in Florida

6 months ago

SilverBullet1 in Pataskala, Ohio said: Yeah i'm assuming the weight of my truck is at least 12k lbs and the GVWR on my trailer is 23,900 lbs. which would lead me to believe that I would need a class A CDL

SilverBullet1...Your F350 weighs more like 8,100# for a 4X2 & 8,600# for a 4X4 and say your trailer empty weight is 7,800#, Most cars weigh around 5,000# and 3/4 truck 7,000# or so. The GCWR on a 2016 F350 DRW Crew Cab 32,100#. That means that is the max of everything can weigh. The Maximum Loaded Trailer Weight for a 4X2 is 24,000# and a 4X4 is 23,500#. So depending on if you have 4X2 your trailer GVWR is less than 100# and if you have a 4X4 your trailer is over 400#.

Yes, you would need a CDL because your total weight will be over 26,001# and depending on what your hauling it could be the maximum GCWR of 32,100#.

Mike in Washington, District of Columbia

6 months ago

Hello my name Mike, I am interested getting into Hauler business, I am not sure if i would be able to get load, i reside in DC, VA and MD area. I am thinking to buy a F-450 heavy duty,starting with 3 cars.

my question is can someone help with this process please. my email is Ribertm34@gmail.com

I just need to know what steps i need to take.

Anyone helps would appreciate it.

thanks,

NavySeabee in Lake Elsinore, California

6 months ago

Veroyfidel in California said: Hi, yes we have lots if questions. We are trying to start a business in auto transport. We are thinking of 3500 dodge ram with a 3/4 car wedge. Is there a particular year we can have for the truck or mileage limit. How do we get a broker or is it best to do our own leg work? If you can help, we greatly appreciate it. Email is veroyfidel@aol.com

semperfiservices can you help me out. I have a Class A but no experience hauling cars. Was a equipment operator in the Navy. I want my own business. I live in Southern California and would like to haul around California but will go anywhere. I have the credit to purchase a truck and trailer. I want a Dodge 3500 or 5500. Just want to know what I can make a month and if you can help me out? Knowledge is key and you seem to have that. Gregevans@me.com. Anyone that I can pick your brain would be great. Just want to know there is work out there. Is becoming a broker better or transportation better or doing both?

Eric in Rochester, New York

6 months ago

Hi all! I am thinking about getting into the car hauling business. I already have a CDL A license but i dont have too much experience as far as professional driving goes. Most of the stuff Ive done has been Heavy Wrecker Recovery. I suppose my question is.... After you purchase the truck and trailer for hauling how do you go about getting transport jobs? I am assuming insurance is a big must as well. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated!

JOE1 in Buena Park, California

5 months ago

hi my is Jose I am look for work I have a 4 car double deck
with a 3500 dodge I have done a couple trips need help finding loads. I am from southern California thank you

LaReid in Chicago, Illinois

2 months ago

keya in Gainesville, Florida said: would you mind contacting me Keya703@yahoo.com
thanks ku

yes i'm in the chicago land area like to know how hard is to find loads when you are starting out.

James Creech in Smithfield, North Carolina

2 months ago

Leen in Las Vegas, Nevada said: Hello,

My husband and I are looking to start a car hauling business here in Las Vegas. We currently have a Ford F350 and are going to get a 1 or 2 car trailer in a week or so. We already have drivers to hire. Do we need a business license here in NV? Also can anyone help with us getting work from auctions, dealers, etc? Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

If Your looking for loads this compnay has weekly auto transport trips from Las vegas,NV to Philadelphia,Pa www.smartautomove.com hope this helps.

Jhamp82 in Montgomery, Alabama

2 months ago

What's the best dually for pulling a 3/4 car hauler trailer with a new buisness?

Eloy in Grand Prairie, Texas

1 month ago

Lee Garrett in Columbus, Ohio said: I will be getting out of the army in 6 months or so. I have been looking at a dodge 4500 and a take 3 3/4 car trailer. I will be moving back to Indianapolis IN is there a market for car haulers in the mid west. Ive looked into insurance cost ECT im just trying to see if its worth trying. I also need to find a start up plan for this type of buisness

Stay away from Kaufman trailers I have seen more roll overs with Kaufman trailers than any other trailers around

Eloy in Grand Prairie, Texas

1 month ago

James Creech in Smithfield, North Carolina said: If Your looking for loads this compnay has weekly auto transport trips from Las vegas,NV to Philadelphia,Pa www.smartautomove.com hope this helps.

Try going to your local auction and speak with the transportation dept. or call ready auto transport they dispatch for manhiem auctions

vick in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

1 month ago

keya in Gainesville, Florida said: would you mind contacting me Keya703@yahoo.com
thanks ku

hi im in south carolina how do i connect with a with a dispatch?

Jd in Fort Mill, South Carolina

11 days ago

Looking to start a car hauling business just wanted some tip anything would be helpful

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

leroywickham in Charlotte, North Carolina

8 days ago

Hi guys I'm new to the industry trying to find insurance and I'm having a really thought time I have a 3 car haul and my CDL but no tractor trailer experience where can I find reasonable insurance for a first time driver.

Formose Industries. in Boston, Massachusetts

1 hour ago

thanks ku

Hi your I for. Is on point. But ? I'm from New York how can I roll into that business. Have the money to start and own a business. In delivery service. Been freelance my van, money is good but want to move to bigger income market. Is that a great business to get into. Send me infro so I can read more about it. And the cost about it. Thank you my friend..

Formose Industries. in Boston, Massachusetts

1 hour ago

thanks ku

Hi your Information Is on point. But ? I'm from New York how can I roll into that business. Have the money to start and own a business. In delivery service. Been freelance my van, money is good but want to move to bigger income market. Is that a great business to get into. Send me infro so I can read more about it. And the cost about it. Thank you my friend..

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.