Cold Calls

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 61)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

wassimabailey@aol.com in River Edge, New Jersey

71 months ago

JrZeeGrl in Newark, New Jersey said: I have 10+ years experience in transportation and have now gone to brokering. I am working as an agent and have secured 1 single, lonely customer so far. While I am grateful for any work I get, unfortunately this customer just does not have enough work (maybe 1 load per month)to sustain me. I understand that you can make very little or lots of money in this industry, its all up to the agent and how many customers you can obtain. I am by no means looking for a get rich quick scheme. I would just like to obtain a reasonable amount of work (maybe 3-4 customers - even 5 loads per week would be great) and I know it all boils down to me and how dedicated I am in finding shippers. I have many leads, I know how to find shippers via the internet and other sources, and I am very personable. However, my problem is I am not a sales agent. I do not know how to initally sell my service, per say, once I actually get them on the phone. Once I establish a relationship with that customer, its smoothe sailing from there. (I say this because of my dispatching/transportation experience and what I have been told from others). No problems after the initial call. Its the initial phone calls and how to get these shippers to bite that is giving me a headache. 40-50 calls a day and nothing. Can anyone provide any advice?

E-mail me I will let you in on somethings that you might not know at this time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

Alan in Encino, California

61 months ago

Did you make progress? I started recently and faced with the same issues. Did you hear from Wassima? If you can send some info my way that would be wonderful. Alan

JrZeeGrl in Newark, New Jersey said: I have 10+ years experience in transportation and have now gone to brokering. I am working as an agent and have secured 1 single, lonely customer so far. While I am grateful for any work I get, unfortunately this customer just does not have enough work (maybe 1 load per month)to sustain me. I understand that you can make very little or lots of money in this industry, its all up to the agent and how many customers you can obtain. I am by no means looking for a get rich quick scheme. I would just like to obtain a reasonable amount of work (maybe 3-4 customers - even 5 loads per week would be great) and I know it all boils down to me and how dedicated I am in finding shippers. I have many leads, I know how to find shippers via the internet and other sources, and I am very personable. However, my problem is I am not a sales agent. I do not know how to initally sell my service, per say, once I actually get them on the phone. Once I establish a relationship with that customer, its smoothe sailing from there. (I say this because of my dispatching/transportation experience and what I have been told from others). No problems after the initial call. Its the initial phone calls and how to get these shippers to bite that is giving me a headache. 40-50 calls a day and nothing. Can anyone provide any advice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Tina in Kingsport, Tennessee

60 months ago

Same here I have made literally hundreds of calls and have landed only two clients thus far. Most calls I do not get to talk to anyone I just get voice mail. When I am out making actual calls.. same thing.. just leave my card and never get to talk to anyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Tina in Kingsport, Tennessee

60 months ago

I work for a brokerage company. My job is to convince the client to let us handle moving their freight. Problem is I can not even get my foot in the door to talk to them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Buffalo, New York

59 months ago

You guys do realize that the average closing ratio, meaning how many calls you make vs how many customers you get is about 300 to 1. So for every 300 calls you make you may make 1 potential customer!!! I have been a freight broker for years. I have 47 customers and I guarentee that I have made over 30,000 calls for those customers alone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Haley in Wadsworth, Ohio

59 months ago

Jeff in Buffalo, New York said: You guys do realize that the average closing ratio, meaning how many calls you make vs how many customers you get is about 300 to 1. So for every 300 calls you make you may make 1 potential customer!!! I have been a freight broker for years. I have 47 customers and I guarentee that I have made over 30,000 calls for those customers alone.

I hope it is not too bold for me to say, but perhaps your "product" just isn't remarkable, cost-efficient or competitive. That's ALOT OF PHONE CALLS TO MAKE with a VERY LOW success ratio. We're assuming you have resonable communication, phone and sales skills...... My average is one option to bid on a lane for each 35 phone calls I make. I represent 8500 trucks with a top notch International Carrier, so my biz is a bit different from yours, .... just a thought ....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Haley in Wadsworth, Ohio

59 months ago

Jeff in Buffalo, New York said: Well, the only thing in my posting that is wrong is the "potential" part. I bid on plenty of lanes a day. But I only want about 5% of those lanes realistically. I dont want freight that I have to hunt to cover it. i dont want freight that only moves 2-3 times a month. There is too much out there to just settle. The national average for a salesman doing cold calling is 1 customer to every 250-300 calls per Jeffrey Gittomer. Now thats a customer, to get a qualified prospect, well you may only have to make 5 calls for that, but agian, they are only a prospect not a customer at that point. If you can get a customer with every 35 calls you make, you wouldnt be selling in the transportation industry, no one would.

Got it. Thank you very much for the clarification. I am in total agreement with your assessment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Darrin in Nebraska in Lincoln, Nebraska

59 months ago

WOW when I read through these postings I feel for some of you guy's. Have some of you ever considered maybe this is not the business for you to be in? I mean some of the questions that are asked just blows me away. This business is not for everyone and its obvious that you have read things about this business that are totally wrong or you had someone blow smoke up your ass and you must of liked it to keep going after it.

The ratio in making sales calls that I read above just blew me away, why would anyone make that many calls for nothing. Are you sure you are even know who you are contacting? Do a little research on the companies you are making your calls to and have a good idea what kind of Business they do and what not, that makes a huge difference. I would say if you are making that many phone calls a day and getting nothing than your not doing your job or your homework before making the calls and i hardly ever run into the problem of not getting the decision maker on the phone. You are either calling at the right time or not calling the right place. Getting them on the phone and quoting loads and your still not getting any business you are doing something wrong, specially quoting loads and still not getting business. If you are getting that far and still nothing than you doing something wrong and don't know what your actually quoting. Knowing the business before you even start makes all the world of difference, making that many calls and getting nothing tells me you dont know what your doing.

I'm sorry if any of the above hurts your feeling but you want to know the facts, there is a start.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Haley in Grafton, Ohio

59 months ago

Thanks for speaking up and saying so. I am just not getting the horrific averages indicated above. My results are directly commensurate with my efforts. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mike in Westland, Michigan

57 months ago

Darrin in Nebraska in Lincoln, Nebraska said: WOW when I read through these postings I feel for some of you guy's. Have some of you ever considered maybe this is not the business for you to be in? I mean some of the questions that are asked just blows me away. This business is not for everyone and its obvious that you have read things about this business that are totally wrong or you had someone blow smoke up your ass and you must of liked it to keep going after it.

The ratio in making sales calls that I read above just blew me away, why would anyone make that many calls for nothing. Are you sure you are even know who you are contacting? Do a little research on the companies you are making your calls to and have a good idea what kind of Business they do and what not, that makes a huge difference. I would say if you are making that many phone calls a day and getting nothing than your not doing your job or your homework before making the calls and i hardly ever run into the problem of not getting the decision maker on the phone. You are either calling at the right time or not calling the right place. Getting them on the phone and quoting loads and your still not getting any business you are doing something wrong, specially quoting loads and still not getting business. If you are getting that far and still nothing than you doing something wrong and don't know what your actually quoting. Knowing the business before you even start makes all the world of difference, making that many calls and getting nothing tells me you dont know what your doing.

I'm sorry if any of the above hurts your feeling but you want to know the facts, there is a start.

I really liked what you had to say, and as a new broker what would you suggest to make the sale? the numbers make all the sense in the world.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Radu in Antrim, New Hampshire

56 months ago

I am currently trying to get into freight brokering, and I am trying to learn anything and everything I can before I get started.Any information/advice would be greatly appreicated post or e-mail me @ DVexteriors@gmail.com.

Thank you very much.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Troy, Ohio

55 months ago

wassimabailey@aol.com in River Edge, New Jersey said: E-mail me I will let you in on somethings that you might not know at this time.

I have the same questions about making calls and finding enough steady customers to make a living. Can you let me in on what it is you know. Thanks. Joe

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Charlotte in Fulton, Mississippi

37 months ago

Ok I just want to know how to find customers that use freight brokers. I make a lot of calls everyone says no or just doent answer the phone. This doent help. Call or email 200 people a day with nothing. Any advice from a seasoned broker???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Matthew_at_BorderLogistics in Burlington, Washington

36 months ago

wassimabailey@aol.com in River Edge, New Jersey said: E-mail me I will let you in on somethings that you might not know at this time.

Can you send me a message too. I have 6 years in this industry. Our business needs to pick up so we are going to begin brokering as well as trucking and warehousing. I know how the system works, but why would they change brokers? I have many ideas, but I just can't get them to turn over. I feel that I have the skills, but they are not biting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

Darrin in Nebraska in Lincoln, Nebraska said: WOW when I read through these postings I feel for some of you guy's. Have some of you ever considered maybe this is not the business for you to be in? I mean some of the questions that are asked just blows me away. This business is not for everyone and its obvious that you have read things about this business that are totally wrong or you had someone blow smoke up your ass and you must of liked it to keep going after it.

This is the best information that I have seen on here. You do not simply just COLD CALL. The best thing about today is the tech and information available.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Haley in Logan, Ohio

36 months ago

Matthew, I could not be more in agreement with you. If anyone is out there really making 100 calls and not getting results, then I believe that they do not know their product OR their product does not have value in the market.
I don't believe that most people wanting to be a broker actually have the personality, skills or tenacity it takes. I have ppl ask me if they can do this at their liesure for example and the answer is definitely NO.
As a broker, you will need to be available to all trucks and all customers for at least the usual 40 hours a week. I don't know any successful brokers though who work 40 hours... most work at least 50-60 hours a week.
I've been an agent for 5.5 years and I always work Saturdays andnever leave the office until all the daily details are taken care of. You guys will be responsible for taking care of your trucks... guys trying to run their life and business out of a 10' square box with a cell phone... you owe them your attention and time because they are your bread and butter.
Just know that you will be comp[eting with the likes of JB Hunt and Schneidert, both of which can actually profit on $1.10/mile... whereas most any other carrier can not make money on that due to their pay system and overhead....there is so much to consider.
Additionally, those seeking broker work need to understand that they can not be emotionally involved in their business... customers will say no, customers will change their orders at the last moment... drivers will more than likely be very angry or upset with you on a fairly regular basis.
You are working aginst big big big name companies that can do anything the customer wants.. so you better know your business and your customer.
Good luck... again, I'm with Matthew in that this business is not for everyone....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

Haley in Logan, Ohio said:

Matthew, I could not be more in agreement with you. If anyone is out there really making 100 calls and not getting results, then I believe that they do not know their product OR their product does not have value in the market.

Good luck... again, I'm with Matthew in that this business is not for everyone....

Although I would like to take praise for the whole comment, I cannot. I liked the information posted by mike in Westland, Michigan and went to make a reply and messed it (my first post) and erased the quote part. All that I wrote was the information piece.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

Matthew_at_BorderLogistics in Burlington, Washington said: Although I would like to take praise for the whole comment, I cannot. I liked the information posted by mike in Westland, Michigan and went to make a reply and messed it (my first post) and erased the quote part. All that I wrote was the information piece.

Thank You though and regardless who wrote it the information is correct. Oh, and if you think that is harsh, get out now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

There's a book Titled Smart Calling. This is a good book. This would definitely turn cold calls around for people. Makes sure to do as the book says, think about what's being read and write answers down.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Johnny the broker

33 months ago

I have been a freight broker for a year and a half and I have 20 customers all from cold calling. There is an art to it. It is a mix between industry knowledge knowing who your calling and sales skills. And no offense to anyone on here but you are all wrong on the call to customer ratio. We were forced to make a hundred calls a day and every single person in my office who put the calls in had multiple customers. It is a law of averages. The more people you call the more customers you will obtain. That is not to say I had plenty of days where I made my hundred calls and did not even get to quote one person. But if you put in the work the customers will come I promise. I can give specific tips if anyone wants too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

FreightBroker1 in Jupiter, Florida

33 months ago

Hello johnny, I'm just getting started in freight brokering and would love to hear some of your specific tips. I have build numerous investment brokerages in the past and have always been successful training my guys to operate in the style you stated, pounding the phones like there's no tomorrow. After years building running stock and commodities brokerages I became a master of the little nuances of selling that type of product and also became a master at recruiting and training other brokers under me to succeed at a high level too so I know the importance of learning those little tricks or tips that gets the deal closed. It sounds like you're off to a great start and have been trained the right way and I'm sure you've been able to learn some of veteran moves right out of the gate. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

FreightBroker1 in Jupiter, Florida

33 months ago

Oh, and I've read the book Smart Calling too and while there are some good tips in there it seem to me that spending all that time researching a company before you pick up the phone and then when you finally call them you get a VM or they're one of those "Not interested" leads or what ever is a huge waste of time and would make it impossible to hit those 100+ companies called a day. I've found it's better to pound the phones and pull up the website while the phone is ringing or the receptionist is transferring my over to get a feel for the company. My investment brokering experience and years researching stocks makes it pretty easy for me to do quick "on the spot" research of the company and still sound like I'm pretty educated or knowledgeable about their business.

rconway in Lancaster, Pennsylvania

32 months ago

Johnny the broker said: I have been a freight broker for a year and a half and I have 20 customers all from cold calling. There is an art to it. It is a mix between industry knowledge knowing who your calling and sales skills. And no offense to anyone on here but you are all wrong on the call to customer ratio. We were forced to make a hundred calls a day and every single person in my office who put the calls in had multiple customers. It is a law of averages. The more people you call the more customers you will obtain. That is not to say I had plenty of days where I made my hundred calls and did not even get to quote one person. But if you put in the work the customers will come I promise. I can give specific tips if anyone wants too.

Hi Johnny:

I would love to hear and would greatly appreciate your specific tips on this industry, best practice and all beneficial skills you have used/applied, i'm new to this, i want to represent myself professionally, anything you can share would be gracious on your part, please email, rconway716@gmail.com

thank you much

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Newbie in Mooresboro, North Carolina

32 months ago

Johnny the broker said: I have been a freight broker for a year and a half and I have 20 customers all from cold calling. There is an art to it. It is a mix between industry knowledge knowing who your calling and sales skills. And no offense to anyone on here but you are all wrong on the call to customer ratio. We were forced to make a hundred calls a day and every single person in my office who put the calls in had multiple customers. It is a law of averages. The more people you call the more customers you will obtain. That is not to say I had plenty of days where I made my hundred calls and did not even get to quote one person. But if you put in the work the customers will come I promise. I can give specific tips if anyone wants too.

Hello Johnny, I'd love to hear any tips you'd be willing to share. Email me at maverick1@2die4.com.

EBA 197 in Kenner, Louisiana

32 months ago

If you could send me the same thing, I am running into the same issue? Thanks

32 months ago

ANN in Houston, Texas said: I would appreciate any information on finding shippers. Thanks

Did you receive information on finding shippers? IF so could you please send to me as well, ebafreightservices@gmail.com Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

Jeff in Buffalo, New York said: You guys do realize that the average closing ratio, meaning how many calls you make vs how many customers you get is about 300 to 1. So for every 300 calls you make you may make 1 potential customer !!! I have been a freight broker for years. I have 47 customers and I guarentee that I have made over 30,000 calls for those customers alone.

What is your strategy, if you do not mind sharing? Please, Thanks, ebafreightservices@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

Charlotte in Fulton, Mississippi said: Ok I just want to know how to find customers that use freight brokers. I make a lot of calls everyone says no or just doent answer the phone. This doent help. Call or email 200 people a day with nothing. Any advice from a seasoned broker???

I am running into the same issue, did you find out how to solve your problem? If so, please share Thanks, ebafreightservices@gmail.com

32 months ago

Could you send me those tips, please? Thanks, ebafreightservices@gmail.com

2Timothy in Amarillo, Texas

31 months ago

If also I could get some information too,I do realize it is a numbers game, the more contacts the better, but being prepared is good too.My email is amarillofreight@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

The Freight Broker Trainer in Kewanee, Illinois

30 months ago

Cold calling is essential in this industry. If you suck on the phone your doomed. Creating a good phone man is hard, a lot of newbies are scared to death of the word "NO". That is not the only part though, you as an agent or broker must know "What To Say" to the prospect besides "Who You Are" and "What You Do".

They hear the same thing from "20" other newbies daily. If you do actually get the chance to speak to the traffic manager, you should no the right questions to ask him. The more you know about his particular situation regarding the movement of his freight or lanes, the better the chances of actually creating a viable customer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sonny Josun in Laval, Quebec

28 months ago

Hi Johnny:
I know these posting are old. Can you please also send me tips for how to win the prospective customer.

Appreciate it.

Freight Broker Trainer in Quad Cities, Illinois

28 months ago

LOL

NAWANA in Bastrop, Louisiana

26 months ago

I am new any advice is appreciated in advance. Email me at tikelam001@yahoo.com

NAWANA in Bastrop, Louisiana

26 months ago

I am a freight broker

Krichelle in Roy, Utah

25 months ago

I have my PHD in telemarketing with around 11 years plus experience and I am always the top sales person. I want to help you guys with some advice I have learned on becoming the best on the phones. Attitude is EVERYTHING!! You cannot have a bad attitude on the phones and expect to get sales or have people be excited about what your offering but you also can't be to excited. Its a critical fine line that takes a while to master. People love to talk about themselves. Try to build rapport by asking them how they like living in the city were they live, or how the weather is there? Or ask them if they like their job and what advice they can give you about getting clients because your new? People love to talk about themselves if you can master building rapport and making a new friend in the first 2 minutes of the conversations, you have a good chance of building a longer relationship with that person and gaining them as a client, plus it keeps you going at work and keeps you from being a calling robot. The next important factor is the amount of calls you make. I really know nothing about the freight business but I do know cold calling. The more calls you make the more clients you will get. If you aren't a hard worker then telemarketing is not for you. If you can pound the phones and stay upbeat and positive and thank people for their time and move on, then you have a chance. It's just like fishing, the more lines with bait out there, the more likely someone will want a bid and if you built rapport with them, they could be your client for life! When people tell me NO, I treat it as a challenge and try to get them to say maybe or Yes and they have to hang up the phone because I'm not letting them go until I get a yes, who cares if they hang up.. Don't give up to easy. Ask open ended questions. And be super confident. If you aren't confident they will slam the phone down or tell you no and slam the phone down. Hope this advice helps someone : )

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

chiefwalker504 in Pompano Beach, Florida

24 months ago

The best place to get some leads would be with www.freightreviews.com a dependable source for high qualified leads.

Celia Gutierrez in Miami, Florida

24 months ago

Could someone please explain to me as a freight broker.. how could I use a load board? my email is celiagutti@aol.com

bigdaddy1 in Brooklyn, Michigan

22 months ago

Celia Gutierrez in Miami, Florida said: Could someone please explain to me as a freight broker.. how could I use a load board? my email is celiagutti@aol.com

I have the same question. As a freight broker, or agent how could I use a load board?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

22 months ago

I understand that I need to make cold calls and build a book of business to get loads. How can I use a load board for this process?
I’m new to this business, so please set me straight. I was under the expiration that the load boards were for broker/agents that have load to move, not looking for loads.

22 months ago

Oops. I was under the impression that the load boards were for broker/agents that have load to move, not looking for loads.

22 months ago

Celia Gutierrez in Miami, Florida said: Could someone please explain to me as a freight broker.. how could I use a load board? my email is celiagutti@aol.com

I understand that I need to make cold calls and build a book of business to get loads. How can I use a load board for this process?
I’m new to this business, so please set me straight. I was under the impression that the load boards were for broker/agents that have load to move, not looking for loads.

Bizzman in Hollywood, Florida

21 months ago

2Timothy in Amarillo, Texas said: If also I could get some information too,I do realize it is a numbers game, the more contacts the better, but being prepared is good too.My email is amarillofreight@gmail.com

Johnny,
Thanks for the post. I am starting out and just need to know where to find leads, then do the calling.

Bizzman in Hollywood, Florida

21 months ago

Thanks for the post. I am starting out and just need to know where to find leads, then do the calling.

John Leota in South Jordan, Utah

21 months ago

I would like to learn any tips that you have to offer. Ty!

John Leota in South Jordan, Utah

21 months ago

I would be grateful to any tips you have to offer. Ty!

Duff in Austin, Texas

20 months ago

John Leota in South Jordan, Utah said: I would like to learn any tips that you have to offer. Ty!

Yes I am currently looking to start in the freight business. Any tips you can provide will be useful. Thank you.

Sabastion in Miami, Florida

19 months ago

Hey guys thanks for the postings, I was wondering if anyone know what's a realistic target for weekly loads on for seasoned freight agents

Joe McCafferty in Hickory, North Carolina

12 months ago

Now that's what I am talking about, not sugar coated, the truth is the learning tool.

Mabel in Rialto, California

10 months ago

My husband is an owner operator and I'm dispatching him since his established his own business (2007)plus 1 more owner operator. I always use the software to find loads but I would like find shippers, but I don't know if I can offer my service of transportation as a carrier or is better get the broker license before talk with a prospect customer. Also I need help about the cold calls...what say and don't say,....please!! any advice is thankful

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.