Freight Broker Agents FAQs

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 75)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Experienced Broker in Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin

40 months ago

c. Lower mc usually its easier to get carriers to haul freight for you as the company has shown it survived the ups and downs of the industry. Also there are organizations that reward companies for passing <3> years of fast pay and good practices in the industry. 2 big names are TIA and NASTC. They will have a surplus of brokers that abide by good standards.

d. Maybe you have spoken with someone or have a company in mind. I would recommend doing a credit check on them. Credit will show how they pay the carriers and will tell you how well off the brokerage is. 2 transportation credit companies are transcredit.com and also compunetcredit.com . It may cost you $15.00 to pull a report, but well worth it to see where you are bringing in potential shippers and trucks to. cont...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

Next you will want to ask the brokerage what they will do for you.

They should have
Authority - mc#
Surety bond $10,000 at lowest now. Some have more as the gov may increase minimum to $100,000 soon
Contingent Cargo - may or may not have. Basically its a backup insurance if somehow carrier ins fails. Shippers may request this.
Transportation Software - allows you to enter loads, shippers and carriers
Load boards 3 most common are Internet Truckstop, Getloaded and Transcore DAT.
Software and load boards are not cheap, its why you may see brokerages require a minimum sales figure a week to even allow you to become an agent for them.
Commission split <opinion only here> Common split is around 60% agent 40% brokerage. May vary from company to company

How to find customers?? Chamber of commerce, yp.com yellow pages, Manufacturing news - books of manufacturers, friends, family or drive around. I look at whats in the grocery store or hardware store. Store sells it, it must be shipped to my area.

Please feel free to post comments or other questions

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

Sales profit from loads
Generally you are looking at doing a 10% minimum profit on a load. Meaning shipper pays you $1000, then you would like to sell it to a carrier for $900 or less. On a 60/40 split you would make $60.00 on that move from $100.00 profit. Average profits <depending on each load> are from 8% to 18%. A lot of variables go into those numbers.

Some loads take 5 minutes to cover others may take all day or not get covered in worst case scenario.

Bottom line is that its not easy to become an agent. You need to be HIGHLY motivated as you will need to make endless phone calls daily. Rome was not built in a day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No Reply - Report abuse

R.Reynoso in Laredo, Texas

40 months ago

Experienced Broker in Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin said: Next you will want to ask the brokerage what they will do for you.

They should have
Authority - mc#
Surety bond $10,000 at lowest now. Some have more as the gov may increase minimum to $100,000 soon
Contingent Cargo - may or may not have. Basically its a backup insurance if somehow carrier ins fails. Shippers may request this.
Transportation Software - allows you to enter loads, shippers and carriers
Load boards 3 most common are Internet Truckstop, Getloaded and Transcore DAT.
Software and load boards are not cheap, its why you may see brokerages require a minimum sales figure a week to even allow you to become an agent for them.
Commission split <opinion only here> Common split is around 60% agent 40% brokerage. May vary from company to company

How to find customers?? Chamber of commerce, yp.com yellow pages, Manufacturing news - books of manufacturers, friends, family or drive around. I look at whats in the grocery store or hardware store. Store sells it, it must be shipped to my area.

Please feel free to post comments or other questions

Can a freight agent invoice the customer directly?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

In most cases no. That is part of the "control" factor the agencies will provide and want to keep. Would be harder to keep track of as well, especially if they are a larger outfit.
Hope that helps

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

Experienced Broker in Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin said: In most cases no. That is part of the "control" factor the agencies will provide and want to keep. Would be harder to keep track of as well, especially if they are a larger outfit.
Hope that helps

Thank you for your reply! But I just want to make sure that I got it right. So the Department of Transportation will not have an issue with an agent invoicing a customer. I know that it's not commen practice for the agent to invoice the customer but I have yet to see an official document stating that it is not allowed. The idea is to have more control over the customers information and lower the risk of someone stilling an agent's customers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

Thats always tricky. I wouldn't go to a big brokerage personally. They ask for a credit check on your shippers to get approved. I fear they have all info and can just back call them as well. Another option for you would be to get your own authority and factor invoices. Might be able to get 3-5% factoring fee. But you do get 100% of profit as well. Some shippers may also pay quicker than others to keep you afloat.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

Experienced Broker in Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin said: Thats always tricky. I wouldn't go to a big brokerage personally. They ask for a credit check on your shippers to get approved. I fear they have all info and can just back call them as well. Another option for you would be to get your own authority and factor invoices. Might be able to get 3-5% factoring fee. But you do get 100% of profit as well. Some shippers may also pay quicker than others to keep you afloat.

Well, thank you very much for your feedback it has been very helpful. I hope that other people take this communication and utilize it to better there strategy/ broffit margine to help them grow.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

Anytime, if you have other questions let me know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

george in Fountain Valley, California

40 months ago

What is TIA and why broker has to be member?

40 months ago

TIA is an organization that helps brokers. On load boards it may also post if you are a TIA member. Some carriers may think that looks better. Basically to be accepted you have to practice best industry policies. They have great info on the website

Website of member benefits
www.tianet.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Member_Benefits&Template=/CM/HTMLDisplay.cfm&ContentID=5238
Or tianet.org for main page

Hope that helps

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

SlammPro in United Kingdom

39 months ago

Scott Turbo: I have been on your web site and seen your training package, it all looks quite professional. I am looking to move back to the States soon and would like to take an opportunity to work from home, however once I get there I'll need to find a steady job to start with pretty much anywhere. Is working as a Freight Agent on a part time basis possible, are shippers/carriers known to work with part timers? For anyone else reading this: Are you aware of anyone working part time for extra income? Many thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

SlammPro in United Kingdom

39 months ago

I would like to hear from Broker Agents who have been working from home in the last year or so. Especially people living in the south-east area as I'm looking to move into the Metro-Atlanta area. I don't expect it to be easy work etc. but would like to know if it's a viable option, can it work?

TriMo in Los Angeles, California

38 months ago

I've also been reading, buying books here and there, and gaining as much knowledge as possible for the past yr. I have all the money needed to obtain my MC#, UCR, BMC84/85 and processing agent. I recently bought a new laptop fro my broker software, I feel like im ready to go. factoring companies aren't neccessary. Can anyone ( Brokers) point me in the right direction to getting my first load. How did you get your first customer? It all boils down to that question..HOW DO I GET FREIGHT?. I have an uncle who has established his own authority to run 3 reefer units. I've been up under his wing for 2 yrs learning the ins and outs. I plan on going about finding frieght the old fashion way...phone calls, door knocking and meet and greet. Please give me some insight.

Judi in Booneville, Arkansas

38 months ago

The old fashioned way is what everyone is doing. Make the phone calls, knock on local doors, and keep the lines of communication open. You can't just call once and hope for the best. You have to keep calling back and make your presence known.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

38 months ago

SlammPro in United Kingdom said: I would like to hear from Broker Agents who have been working from home in the last year or so. Especially people living in the south-east area as I'm looking to move into the Metro-Atlanta area. I don't expect it to be easy work etc. but would like to know if it's a viable option, can it work?

I work from home. Live in the south and move freight from SE to NE. That is the beauty of this business. You don't have to actually "live" in the area where you are moving freight.

38 months ago

Experienced Broker in Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin said: Sales profit from loads
Generally you are looking at doing a 10% minimum profit on a load. Meaning shipper pays you $1000, then you would like to sell it to a carrier for $900 or less. On a 60/40 split you would make $60.00 on that move from $100.00 profit. Average profits <depending on each load> are from 8% to 18%. A lot of variables go into those numbers.

Some loads take 5 minutes to cover others may take all day or not get covered in worst case scenario.

Bottom line is that its not easy to become an agent. You need to be HIGHLY motivated as you will need to make endless phone calls daily. Rome was not built in a day.

AMEN!!! Do not take this position lightly if you need to feed your kids. It takes a lot of WORK. I love it, but am amazed at people that are living in the fantasy world of "working from home is easy".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

38 months ago

Id like to add that Linkedin.com is a great site to add to your collection. There are great groups on there to join with others in our profession. Excellent questions and relevant information is given from some of the top players in the industry.

Also I wish all of us brokers the best!

Sokh PICH in Phnum Pénh, Cambodia

35 months ago

DHC Freight was established in January 2002 and has successfully with
Our Service have:

- Removals, Door-To-Door Service
- Tax Exemption Formalities
- Inland Transportation
- Customs Clearance
- Import & Export

Right now we want to FREIGHT from oversea, so please comment us how to do? and recommence us which one good.

Thanks and Best regard,
Sokha PICH

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

JW Surety Bonds in Warminster, Pennsylvania

33 months ago

Experienced Broker in Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin said: Surety bond $10,000 at lowest now. Some have more as the gov may increase minimum to $100,000 soon

The surety bond is $10,000 as a set amount. Brokers do not get any more or less. It is not insurance coverage for them and they do not get to decide the amount. It is insurance for the FMCSA that the broker pays for.

The BMC-84 surety bond is actually starting to get approved again WITHOUT any collateral. You can get a free quote online at: www.jwsuretybonds.com/protools.htm

Jerry in Huntington Beach, California

32 months ago

Hello, I have no formal freight brokering experience, bit I have been a truckload and expedite driver for 7 years now. I have in the past few years learned how to find companies to partner carrier with and will be opening up my own expedite company this month. I hnow how to get loads for my cargo vans and straight trucks, but not how to get them directly from the customers. most of the partner cariers that I deal with just get loads from their customers and throw them up on emails, broker boards, and this one particular website that regular brokers do not know about "this is where I will have my competitive advantage.

Well my question is I have a shippers contact information that only uses and knows about a larger expedite carrier. I recently asked them if they even knew they could get cargo van freight moved for under 2.00 a mile; they said no. I am going to contact them and try and have them call me with the loads and i'll put them on one of my cargo van units or just broker it out to partner carriers on this website for 1.00 1.10 a mile and charge them 1.50. But how would I bill them? I know what a rate confirmation sheet is when I get a load from one of my partner carriers, but I have never seen or dealt with a rate confirmation from a shipper. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

NAWANA in Bastrop, Louisiana

10 months ago

???????

LexsineTransports in Boynton Beach, Florida

10 months ago

Are you interested in being part of an established company? Open Door MultiServices and Lexsine Transports would like to welcome you to our team. We are currently seeking new or experienced Freight Broker Agents. Earn more if you have a following. Contact us today info@lexsinetransports.com

Bettie in Southaven, Mississippi

8 months ago

Hi.this bettie I sayn go to places but best to knw they tell u that they dnt do that.They dnt try to train u.So I'm wonder if u cam help me in ur spare time.I went bcward cause I got my dot anf my mc.no.but dnt how to do evertng else so pls can u help me I have lupus but Im fighting it or email address is bettiemoore@ymail.com

1. Without any transportation experience, I would recommend getting a desk job at a local trucking company. You will learn a ton of info from this that will not be taught in a class.

2. Want to skip #1 and pay for class? Then go being in the action on a daily basis. Plus Id rather get paid to learn, than to pay to learn. Just my opinion there.

3. Gained some knowledge and ready to broker now? Where do you start? Well shop around forums and ads on the internet to get started. Maybe you have a friend in the industry that can point you to a reputable brokerage. This is a huge life decision and you need to do your homework here.
a. Brokerages are considered Asset or Non asset based, meaning they have their own equipment or only search for carriers with equipment. Some shippers require Asset based carriers/brokers to even be considered to move their freight.
b. Now to the MAIN part to consider. What is the brokerages MC# <motor carrier>? The government began issuing out mc#;s as a way to track carriers and brokerages. The lower the number = the more established the company is. Currently mc#'s are in the low 700,000. So a broker with a 200,### would be way more established. What does that mean to you? A couple things... cont...

8 months ago

Experienced Broker in Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin said: Id like to add that Linkedin.com is a great site to add to your collection . There are great groups on there to join with others in our profession. Excellent questions and relevant information is given from some of the top players in the industry.

Also I wish all of us brokers the best!

Wer u get the book from Bettie e-mail is bettiemoore@ymail.com

8 months ago

Judi in Booneville, Arkansas said: AMEN!!! Do not take this position lightly if you need to feed your kids. It takes a lot of WORK. I love it, but am amazed at people that are living in the fantasy world of "working from home is easy".

My name I's Bettie and u r rite I'm a lupus patient that can't really go outside a lot I was wondering if u can help me in bcoming a freight btoker that u and have a bless day Amen!!!!

8 months ago

Bettie in Southaven, Mississippi said: Wer u get the book from Bettie e-mail is bettiemoore@ymail.com

Is this book in the library or I have to order anf how much

JW Surety Bonds in Pipersville, Pennsylvania

8 months ago

We have a highly competitive program for the $75K freight broker bond requirement set for Oct 1st.

-No collateral (ever)
-Low rates
-No business financials
-Bad credit is NOT a problem
-No experience required

If you have a quote already, I suggest you take 5 minutes to get an online approval from us. You can still get a full refund if you've purchased elsewhere, as no bonds have been filed yet.

Get a quote instantly online at: www.jwsuretybonds.com/protools.htm

Emma7272 in Lake Villa, Illinois

5 months ago

I have zero experience in the industry. My boyfriend and his father own a truck and reefer. They are a driving team and work for a company. I am interested in becoming a freight agent so I can work from home. I just have no idea where to start. Any help would be appreciated. You can email me or post on here. Thanks in advance.

Jdtrucking72@gmail.com

GAC_Logistics in Everett, Washington

3 months ago

GAC Logistics Inc is seeking independent agents. Generous commission structure, load boards, complete back-office support. Please email gcurtis@gaclogistics.net, online at www.gaclogistics.net.

Andrei in New York, New York

3 months ago

I am really interested in becoming a freight broker (trucks), but I have no experience in this industry. I know that schools that offer a training program are not sufficient because of the knowledge element. I would rather work for a company that provides training, so I can get more experience being in the action on a daily basis. I was wondering if anyone knows the company who actually hire people with no experience in New York.

P.S: I am really passionate about this job. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Have A Wonderful Year!

You can email me:
sava130885@gmail.com

William in Pulaski, Tennessee

3 months ago

Andrei in New York, New York said: I am really interested in becoming a freight broker (trucks), but I have no experience in this industry. I know that schools that offer a training program are not sufficient because of the knowledge element. I would rather work for a company that provides training, so I can get more experience being in the action on a daily basis. I was wondering if anyone knows the company who actually hire people with no experience in New York.

P.S: I am really passionate about this job. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Have A Wonderful Year!

You can email me:
sava130885@gmail.com

You can go to www.freightbrokerinstitute.net the only freight institute where you will be certified as a freight agent. Ask around if you can get certified you wont find one. Plus the price is very reasonable $89. You can take the course at your pace, mornings class and evening theory or you can go at your pace with audios, videos and manuals. Goodluck. by the way once trained love to have you. We start agents at 60%. Exp agents with books can join our sub broker program and get 85% contracts. If you have exp and want to recruit agents and have your own office here is your chance. go to the website and click the blue "sub broker button" bottom right. or email me at fbuwilliam@gmail.com.

3 months ago

Emma7272 in Lake Villa, Illinois said: I have zero experience in the industry. My boyfriend and his father own a truck and reefer. They are a driving team and work for a company. I am interested in becoming a freight agent so I can work from home. I just have no idea where to start. Any help would be appreciated. You can email me or post on here. Thanks in advance.

Jdtrucking72@gmail.com

Go to freightbrokerinstitute.net for $89 you will be accredited as a freight agent. Cant beat the price and you go at your own pace.

3 months ago

Cant get the new 75kbond? Don't throw in the towel we have the solution. Our subbroker program will keep you doing business as usual. If you are an agent who wanted to have his own agency look no further, we will help you. You come in on an 85% contract, your own website, software, training & you don't have to worry about license, 75k bond, or insurance. Get with me at fbuwilliam@gmail.com or go to www.freightbrokerinstitute.net and scroll down to the right the blue button "subbroker program" for more info without any obligation.

3 months ago

Judi in Booneville, Arkansas said: I work from home. Live in the south and move freight from SE to NE. That is the beauty of this business . You don't have to actually "live" in the area where you are moving freight.

So true, i love the business, been in transportation 14 years. If you need a mentor contact me. I start agents at 60%. Those agents with books that want to run their own agency well i got a 85% contract waiting for you. In logistics as long as you are not greedy, stay honest, keep your integrity and work hard you will do great.

Judi in Fort Smith, Arkansas

3 months ago

William in Pulaski, Tennessee said: You can go to www.freightbrokerinstitute.net the only freight institute where you will be certified as a freight agent. Ask around if you can get certified you wont find one. Plus the price is very reasonable $89. You can take the course at your pace, mornings class and evening theory or you can go at your pace with audios, videos and manuals. Goodluck. by the way once trained love to have you. We start agents at 60%. Exp agents with books can join our sub broker program and get 85% contracts. If you have exp and want to recruit agents and have your own office here is your chance. go to the website and click the blue "sub broker button" bottom right. or email me at fbuwilliam@gmail.com.

Being a "Certified Freight Agent" is not going to get you a job as a freight agent with most brokerages. The only "certificate" most brokerages are going to be interested in is going to be the book of business that you will be able to bring on board to their company to start moving right away. I am not trying to burst anyone's bubble here, just trying to keep it real.

3 months ago

That is not the case here. We have guarantee job placement. No experience needed and you will start at 60% and that is guaranteed. No jokes, no gimmicks. We here at Freight Broker Institute will train you and give you a job with a great brokerage firm. As a matter of fact we can place you with no experience in a firm that will allow you to do instant quoting on LTL to the shippers on the spot under 1 mintute. We will place you in the right firm so you have every chance to succeed. Also if you have experience with books we can put you in a sub broker program that will take you to 85%. My advice Judi is go to freightbrokerinstitute.net and click on the blue sub broker button for info on this program. Thanks for your input judi.

Nancy in Savona in Rochester, New York

3 months ago

Who are you kidding William? There is no such thing a "Certified Freight Agent". You don't need to be Certified, and it sounds like you are trying to scam people.
Most people need training. They don't have a clue what to do or what to say to a shipper. Now a person can go to School or take classes to learn how to be a Broker and they can get a Certificate of Completion, but that does not mean they are a Certified Frieght Broker. There is no such thing.
The fact that you find placement for people that complete the course is a good thing. Most people will not hire anyone without a book of business. And let me tell everyone that is looking at this. It is not easy, it can take years to build a book of business, it is certainly doable, but it is not the easy thing that some people make it out to be.
I would be very leary anyone offering 85% Contract. That is basically unheard of and it leaves the house very cash flow poor and vulnerable to problems when there are claims etc. The house HAS to make money to pay for all the overhead and the 15% that is left is not enough to ensure squat.
DO your research, be careful of people promising you the moon for little bits of money. A reputable training school will charge more because there is more one on one and more in depth training. It is my belief that anyone charging so little and promising the moon is #1 not honest, #2 getting kickback or #3 just does not get it.
Being and Agent or a Broker is one of the hardest, most frustrating things that you will ever do as a beginner. Be careful of people and if you need to take a class, take one from someone who has references knows what they are talking about. Talk to Judi in Fort Smith AR She obviously has a clue about the Industry is about.

3 months ago

Well Nancy i believe you need to go talk to your senator because there about to pass a new law soon about having to get licensed just like a realtor or an insurance agent. Now as to becoming certified, let me discuss this a bit. Look in the internet and find another Institute? You wont find one. We have a curriculum which you must pass in order to become certified. If you don't pass the tests you cannot be certified. There is no other place where you go and test you like this. We have a strict curriculum we follow. We must insure our students truly learn. Now as for the 85% contract you are correct it is unheard of, but we do offer it nonetheless with a great brokering firm. The 15% is enough to pay for overhead when you have a large pool of agents at 60%. The system this brokerage is using works simply because they keep very low claims. We are not promising the moon here, it does take a lot of hard work to become a freight agent. Ive been in the transportation business 14 years and i love it but it is not an easy one. Now i challenge you to go to the site and get the info i really like your opinion on it. And you will see no promises of the moon here, but the way this brokerage sees it is very simple really. If you are working hard and have a great book of business and would like to have agents on board then why not have an 85% contract and recruit. This brokerage has agents under 60% straight to them, that will pay for the overhead and such. But here you will have the opportunity to have your own office and recruit, very simple concept. The large pool of agents they already have covers them and they are debt free. The industry is changing quite a bit did you hear the new deal for LTL? Did you see who teamed up with DHL and have door to door service anywhere in the world? Now it will be cheaper to send 20k by LTL freight intra california than a FTL. This brokerage showed us on their system. Well i've spoken enough. Check the facts is all i ask.

3 months ago

Sorry Dude,
Just don't believe you.

Andrei in New York, New York

3 months ago

Nancy in Savona in Rochester, New York said: Sorry Dude,
Just don't believe you.

Hello Nancy,

I am looking for a Truck Dispatcher job. I really want to be a part of this business industry. Which school do you suggest, or you think schools that offer a training program are not sufficient because of the knowledge element? If they are, I was wondering if you know the company who actually hire people with no experience in New York. I am willing to go through any kind of trainings in order to help company grow. I currently live in New York ( Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for any help you can provide.

3 months ago

Andrei in New York, New York said: Hello Nancy,

I am looking for a Truck Dispatcher job. I really want to be a part of this business industry. Which school do you suggest, or you think schools that offer a training program are not sufficient because of the knowledge element? If they are, I was wondering if you know the company who actually hire people with no experience in New York. I am willing to go through any kind of trainings in order to help company grow. I currently live in New York ( Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for any help you can provide.

Truck dispatcher job? Call Richard Blackburn REB3 Logistics rich@rbe3logistics.com thre good people out of nebraska.

3 months ago

Listen Buddy, I know you believe what you are saying but I don't. I don't really care what anyone says about Certified Brokers, there is no such thing. If the law comes around that everyone is Licensed then so be it. But right now there is no such thing. What you are putting out there is just the right thing to do. Cheap almost never is a good thing. We don't move cheap freight, we don't trust cheap trucks and I certainly would not go a school that says they are the cheapest, yet the best. You get what you pay for.
We have people come to us all the time that say they just got their Certification from some turn and churn school that charges 100.00. They don't have a clue and the first week that they make 50 calls and get told no every time, they are done. Do you tell them that part? 100's and 100's and 100's of calls and they all say no. The glimmer of hope fades, the excitement is gone and all that is left is a disillusioned sad person that feels like they have been scammed out of their 89 bucks and all they have is this Broker Certificate on the wall that reminds them of what a dork they were.
There are schools out there that do a very good job teaching but they charge more.
Maybe I sound cynical, however, I have there and seen that and anyone purporting to Give Freight Broker Certifications does not ring out like the real deal. If they are not required by law then they sound flaky, know what I mean?

3 months ago

I understand perfectly Nancy, we too get plenty of those that went to as you call them "flaky" schools. And on the calling yes you are 100% correct it takes determination I know i used to do the programming at a major call center so i know telemarketing skills which we pass to the students. We have 13 videos and one is on calling but we know times are changing so we also teach how to use linkedin, we made a manual on that as well. If you are not using social media you are not going to reach as much people. Of course you have to teach the new agents about twitter, facebook, mail chimp, aweber, contant contact and many other aspects of marketing as well. You can't depend on cold calling alone. Well Nancy going back to class now i love for you to email me so i can give you a complimentary class on linkedin. No charge simply because i like the opportunity to prove to you that we truly care about our students. My email is fbuwilliam@gmail.com tell me when is a convenient time.

3 months ago

Here is a bit of info on our Certification Process:
www.freightbrokeruniversity.org/About-Our-Certification-Process.html

William in Madisonville, Tennessee

3 months ago

Freight Broker Trainer in Quad Cities, Illinois said: Another clueless wonder. Listen up newbies there is NO CERTIFICATION process required. DO not buy into the garbage that she is spewing. Perform your due diligence on these people or anybody else for that matter

Certification is not required yet, but we are the only ones offering it online with guarantee job placement. No need to be rude about it. TLO mc# is 828618 you can look it up at the FMCSA site. TLO Logistics USA is the firm Jennifer Richards works at, their address is 16651 RL Ostos Rd, Brownsville, TX 78521. We got her placement there without experience at 60%. So anyone looking for a school with job placement please do yourself a favor and investigate the school. Check to see how long they been around ask for references. It is difficult to believe anything online so be careful and check the school first. You can check out the school at www.freightbrokerinstitute.net.

Judi in Fort Smith, Arkansas

3 months ago

Yes, there are a lot of new brokerages who have been in business for less than a year that are willing to bring people on with no experience. TLO has only been in business since June.
Understanding the inside and out of a truck is not the same as understanding the inside and out of being a freight agent for brokerage. It is a completely different world. Trucks do the work on their side of the coin, and agents do the work on the other side of the coin. I come from a long line of truck drivers in my family, and when I got into this side of it, it was totally different.
Agents have to be great sales people and negotiators in order to get into the door with the direct manufactures, as opposed to the many trucks who will get their loads from load boards. I have a lot of drivers who say that they have CONTACTS with many shippers. Having a few names of dock supervisors is not going to get you the freight from the actual decision maker. It is a good start, but you have to go ALL the way to the top, and convince the decision maker that the company you are working with is the best fit. It is HARD work, and most manufacturers will not work with brand new brokerages, as they are not well established. Likewise, many carriers will hesitate to move freight with new brokerages as well for the same reasons and they fear they will not get paid.
The people here posting that there is NO CERTIFICATION required are VERY experienced in this industry, with many years on both sides of the coin. I understand that you want to promote your training program, but when you put lipstick on a pig, it is still a pig. You are the only one, there is another program that boast of a MASTERS. Pfffsshh......I can guarantee you the only thing that makes a broker a MASTER is how fat his check is every week--not a piece of papers. One of my colleagues is such a master he scares the owners of the company with his level skill level not just with the manufacturers but with the carriers he hires.

William in Madisonville, Tennessee

3 months ago

Experienced Broker in Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin said: Sales profit from loads

So true. Great advice here. Thank you for your advice and comments. The only thing i would add is that our morning class group on skype is based out of the manual and our theory class gives you experience on how to apply what you just read. Also you will be given classes on how to move the loads, how to talk to shippers, working with carriers, building a shipper & carrier database. How to use social media to help you reach more customers. Now if you have experience and you want to go into management level you will have your own website, emails and software to handle all shippers needs, including LTL instant quotes, parcel shipping(your customers wont have to call or go to the store with you now)Air freight & oceanic freight as well. we will show you all this services and guide you to pick a "niche". It is imperative to specialize in one aspect of the business. The brokering firms we deal with have this system. So when you go to them you have the tools to help you succeed. Now he did mention it takes hard work and that is very true. Logistics business takes hard work and determination, but its a great rewarding business if you like it and work on it. Thanks again for the advice you are giving this future agents, i am glad you took the time. You are a professional.

William

3 months ago

Judi in Fort Smith, Arkansas said: Being a "Certified Freight Agent" is not going to get you a job as a freight agent with most brokerages. The only "certificate" most brokerages are going to be interested in is going to be the book of business that you will be able to bring on board to their company to start moving right away. I am not trying to burst anyone's bubble here, just trying to keep it real.

Docket: For access to the docket to
read background documents or
comments, any time or visit Room W 12–140 on the
ground level of the West Building, 1200
New Jersey Avenue SE., Washington,
DC, between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., ET,
Monday through Friday, except Federal
holidays

Realtor & insurance agents said it would not happen, they would not need to be certified and we know what happened. Now they need a licence. TIA put a docket on and they are trying hard to make it where agents must be certified and license. We will fight to make sure TIA will not be the only place you can be certified. Competition is always a good thing.Will the freight brokerage stop this? I guess time will tell, but if a certification is required and you don have one, what happens next? We need to keep an eye open on this.

William

3 months ago

William said: Docket: For access to the docket to
read background documents or
comments, any time or visit Room W 12–140 on the
ground level of the West Building, 1200
New Jersey Avenue SE., Washington,
DC, between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., ET,
Monday through Friday, except Federal
holidays

Realtor & insurance agents said it would not happen, they would not need to be certified and we know what happened. Now they need a licence. TIA put a docket on and they are trying hard to make it where agents must be certified and license. We will fight to make sure TIA will not be the only place you can be certified. Competition is always a good thing.Will the freight brokerage stop this? I guess time will tell, but if a certification is required and you don have one, what happens next? We need to keep an eye open on this.

Federal Register/ Vol. 78, No. 248 / Thursday, December 26, 2013 / Notices

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.