Freight Broker Schools are Scams!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 160)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

MIKE in Grand Prairie, Texas

28 months ago

i am thinking about becoming a freight agent / broker and i wanna kno is this a good career change for some one like myself,i dont mind working hard and putting my feet to the pavement,i also am gonna attend Jeff Ashcraft
Brooke Transportation Training classes at the end of september for the agent / broker training it is gonna cost me 2,500$ for a 5 day class and they have job placement at the end of class on friday w/brokers,so can some one please get back w/me and let me kno if this is a good feild to get in or am i better off as a realestate agent and let me kno the bad stuff that comes along w/being a agent / broker and if anybody knows that if this is a good school to go to before i give up my 2,500,you can e-mail me back at spencerm26@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

tatz in Calgary, Alberta

27 months ago

Kerry in Tacoma, Washington said: I'm just starting out my self at first I tried getting hired on with a company but most companies want u to come there with clientel so i just went and got my authority and broker bond and u will be legal to do business on your own once u move something somebody would be willing to take u in I make calls to shippers just tryin to get that one I'm in no position to tell u every thing because i'm still learning the ins an outs of the business but that what u can do first ive been calling for a couple of months and aint got nothing but bunch of possibles stick with it something got to happen if u stay consitent. U will get your chance. I aint move nothing but as much work i put into this something got to happen. Moving a load would be like me winning the super bowl. If u ever want to talk i left my hit me up. Bless you

I just came across your comment after 29 months, I see you were initially having problems getting shippers to trust you with a load? So how are things with your business now? Any luck? What are some things you learned in getting loads from shippers? I'm planning on starting a brokerage firm myself in a couple of months in Canada.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tatz in Calgary, Alberta

27 months ago

Jayson in Salida, California said: I have been doing this for one month, (starting back up from 2008 when i lost my trucks)

I have alot of loads, I have experience in this since I used to own trucks and run the brokerage with it. and it seems the problem I have been having every week is finding trucks to trust me since I am new. if I could offer fuel advance, or if I could offer quick pay, i would have trucks, mostly small carriers, who rely on fuel advances and quick pays to keep afloat. I need to find an investor. maybe 1000 or 1500 dollars.

I just came across your comment 28 months ago. I see you just got into this business at the time of the comment but how about an update? How is your business now? How did you start getting loads and carriers to haul the loads for you? Hope all is good.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Kerenski in Albany, Georgia

26 months ago

MnM in Plant City, Florida said: Leave an email I would forward to you but you prob dkeepes@gmail and send me different account . The stuff she sent me was contradicting too many times. Nothing like you posted was in that email from dkeepes.So you too cAN HAVE YOUR OPNION. eNJOY IT, AND IT DOESNT CHANGE THE FACT.

I am trying to get freight brokering training at a reasonable price if you have any information let me know thx.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Kerenski in Albany, Georgia

26 months ago

I could use some info on freight brokering training were i can get it you can email me at wkerenski@yahoo.com if you have any information thx

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Kerenski in Albany, Georgia

26 months ago

Freight Chazer in Knightdale, North Carolina said: I`m reading these post and I`m getting ready to go to broker school but the school I`m attending has job placement.

If you dont mind what brokering school is it you went to I would like to information you can email me at wkerenski@yahoo.com thx

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Katrina in Hammond, Indiana

25 months ago

Hey mike im new to this , can u please email me at katrinachubb@yahoo.com

u

Michael in Nashua, New Hampshire said: In my opinion, you do not need to go to freight brokering school. You need a basic understanding of sales; know about the types of freight/trailers you will load ie weight, pallet count, dimensions; rates other brokers are paying, in the beginning you need to pay the MOST to the truck; get your own FHWA authority less than $400, find a bond (dont get the $10000 trust); get some load board accounts (find some shippers there(most are cheap)but its a start); find a factor so you can quick pay trucks(charge for the quick pay and that will more than cover the factors charge) Dont factor you fast paying customers that pay immediately to 10 days. Pay your trucks on-time and do not let carriers screw up your loads without implementing reasonable fines. Be fair. This is a GREAT business to be in. Good Luck!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Katrina in Hammond, Indiana

25 months ago

Im a trucker who is wants to2 be an agen t. P lease emai me at katrinachubb@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

eve in Las Vegas, Nevada

24 months ago

pinkfloyd in Conyers, Georgia said: I live in Ga and was wondering is she still training? I drove until last yr when I was diagnosed with PKD and kidney cancer. Doing great now, just looking to eventually work from home.

Get it done brokerage, LLC. Is hiring and you work from home.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

conneradr in Lithonia, Georgia

24 months ago

melisac in Beulaville, North Carolina said: I would like additional information from this person. This looks like something that I am definately interested in.

I am actually looking for a position with a small company, I have experience as a carrier agent so finding company to take loads wouldn't be a problem.I've worked with some very good drivers and have gained quit a bit of knowledge from the brokers i deal with. I would love to be on the other side of the calls, helping a company grow and gaining the experience to one day item my own trucking consulting firm. I can be contacted at conneradr7@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Freight Brokers in Kewanee, Illinois

23 months ago

CMH in Plainfield, Illinois said: its really simple. brokers do nothing but set up a deal. if you make a hundred dollars, you win. your at home. theyre driving an making/buying and preparing freight to be shipped. start your own pay drivers top dollar and propose incentives for timely, world class delivery .like i said you can play with your kids while making money. they cant.if you do one load a week make sure its done right. provide the driver with lots of info about freight, provide shipper with accurate freight position info.satisfy both and you will gain clientel and make money. i do. 4 accouns 20+k in one and a half month.warning if you arent detail oriented and like to sit at a cpu and talk on the phone constantly. and arent available 24/7/365 this isnt for you. it takes alot of.......patience with other ppl who can sometimes seem "slow" but you need them. no them, no you! remember that! Good luck!

That is so completely wrong. If you "Set Up The Deal" as you say and only make a $100 then you are losing. I once had an agent that was moving a D10 out of SLC into Houston, the load was moving in (1) piece with the blade and rippers on. The Load paid us $22,500 and he wanted to sell it to the carrier for $22,300. I told him he was a moron and made him scrub the deal unless he could find a carrier for $17,500. The point here is "Risk VS. Reward" agents and carriers with your mindset are the ones who drive rates down. It is very easy to lower a rate, but once that has happened it is (3X) as hard to increase on the next load. If you want to make any real money in this industry and not $100 per load you better learn what "Price Conditioning" is and realize also that certain percentages of the load have to be maintained for profit. My general rule is no less than 20% of the load goes back to the house as profit. That way everyone is making money not just moving a load.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Wayne in Greenville, Sc in Huntersville, North Carolina

23 months ago

Kelley in Oak Lawn, Illinois said: That's not true..... I went to a lady in Georgia and she really DID teach me everything I needed to know. Grant it, once I left I had more questions. She was fine answering them later on because everyone knows with too much info up front, it's overwhelming.. Anyhow, I would at least watch the price of your class before you do it. This woman in Georgia is her own broker also. Basically what I do now from home. And I must say what I'm making a year only 1.5 yrs later from learning, it was all worth it!
Kelley, I recently started my own brokerage and could sure use someone like this as a mentor. I have spent the last 15 years as an LTL account manager and have the relationships to develop business but I'm having difficulty with the operational and managerial aspects.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Wayne in Greenville, Sc in Huntersville, North Carolina

23 months ago

Kelley, I sure could use someone like this as a mentor. I recently started my own brokerage and have spent the last 15 years working as an LTL account manager building relationships. However, I am having difficulty with the operational and managerial aspects of the business. Any suggestions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

spi.ennis.tx@gmail.com in Dallas, Texas

23 months ago

Couple of points I like to make. 1) a broker and an agent are two different positions. The broker is the one that owns the brokerage that holds the authority letter from the government. They hire agents. Agents do not have a "license" or authority. 2) at this point there is no federally mandated requirement for training for either of these. 3) many brokerages do not hire agents unless they have an established "book". To say it a different way, many brokerages won't hire somebody unless they already have an established base of clients that will follow them to the brokerage. 4) there is no nationally recognized certifications for freight brokers. If you are looking for an agent position find a brokerage that will talk with you first of all, find out what training they want you to have in order to come to them. Some of these same brokerages will also offer their own training - Ive seen prices ranging from $1,700 all the way up to $8,000. IMHO, if the training does not include a heavy dosage of sales, general business and freight brokering instruction (in that order) go somewhere else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

The Freight Broker Trainer in Kewanee, Illinois

23 months ago

spi.ennis.tx@gmail.com in Dallas, Texas said: Couple of points I like to make. 1) a broker and an agent are two different positions. The broker is the one that owns the brokerage that holds the authority letter from the government. They hire agents. Agents do not have a "license" or authority. 2) at this point there is no federally mandated requirement for training for either of these. 3) many brokerages do not hire agents unless they have an established "book". To say it a different way, many brokerages won't hire somebody unless they already have an established base of clients that will follow them to the brokerage. 4) there is no nationally recognized certifications for freight brokers. If you are looking for an agent position find a brokerage that will talk with you first of all, find out what training they want you to have in order to come to them. Some of these same brokerages will also offer their own training - Ive seen prices ranging from $1,700 all the way up to $8,000. IMHO, if the training does not include a heavy dosage of sales, general business and freight brokering instruction (in that order) go somewhere else.

I would agree with about 80% of what you say. I stress Sales,Sales,Sales. Salespeople are created and not born. They however also need to know the product they are selling. This is where a lot of new agents fail. New agents should start with a niche type of freight. Once this is producing good results move on to another type and so on etc. However I do know over thirty brokerages that will hire a newbie. These are established brokers although not huge like TQL or CH, Alan Lund they do produce good numbers. It is still a proving ground though, Sink or Swim!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Judi in Magazine, Arkansas

22 months ago

BMAN, You go out there and have fun with your mass email load list which is probably what you are referring to as shippers. If you had good shippers you would not have any trouble finding trucks. Mass emails are crap.....they are sending them out to 40 different people (carriers and brokers) and waiting for the lowest bid to come in. If you are working for a brokerage then you are working on commission and having to beat the carrier rates that do not work on commission.

You went through training a month ago? Your attitude is not going to get you very far in this business. These people that are talking to you have been in this business for YEARS. I know them personally......we may not see eye to eye on every single detail in the industry, but we have worked the industry for a lot longer than a month, and when Scott says Wal Mart is hiring, you should probably take heed.

You should definitely care who is watching the boards because if you are caught, you will be finished. Once you are reported your load board priviledges will be suspended, and you will no longer be able to post your freight. Think it won't follow you to another company? Think again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Shohn R in Grosse Pointe, Michigan

22 months ago

How many cold calls should a new agent start off making?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Halal Freight Brokerage in Warren, Michigan

22 months ago

any on moving dry van freight ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Halal Freight Brokerage in Warren, Michigan

22 months ago

thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Carolyn in Memphis, Tennessee

22 months ago

Michael in Nashua, New Hampshire said: In my opinion, you do not need to go to freight brokering school. You need a basic understanding of sales; know about the types of freight/trailers you will load ie weight, pallet count, dimensions; rates other brokers are paying, in the beginning you need to pay the MOST to the truck; get your own FHWA authority less than $400, find a bond (dont get the $10000 trust); get some load board accounts (find some shippers there(most are cheap)but its a start); find a factor so you can quick pay trucks(charge for the quick pay and that will more than cover the factors charge) Dont factor you fast paying customers that pay immediately to 10 days. Pay your trucks on-time and do not let carriers screw up your loads without implementing reasonable fines. Be fair. This is a GREAT business to be in. Good Luck!!

Michael, is there anyway I can make contact with you to get more information. I agree with your reasoning and methods and want to get started on the right track.

Thanks,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Carolyn in Memphis, Tennessee

22 months ago

Does the new regulations allow brokers to collectively work off the same $75,000 bond?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Freight Broker Trainer in Quad Cities, Illinois

21 months ago

Carolyn in Memphis, Tennessee said: Does the new regulations allow brokers to collectively work off the same $75,000 bond?

No you may not. Individual bonds are required.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

AJ in Columbia, South Carolina

21 months ago

Kerry in Tacoma, Washington said: No one wanted to hire me as a agent so I said screw it i went an got my authority licensce I think its hard getting started i dont know im tryin to do things on my own I dont have no shippers yet Ive been callin but the hard part is getting the shipper to trust u. Im not going to give up Im very passionate about this. Im still tryin to move my first load Ive been doing this for 2 months now. How long did it take some of u to move your first load?

Kerry so how is it 35 months later?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

McFly in New York, New York

20 months ago

The Freight Broker Trainer in Kewanee, Illinois said: I would agree with about 80% of what you say. I stress Sales,Sales,Sales. Salespeople are created and not born. They however also need to know the product they are selling. This is where a lot of new agents fail. New agents should start with a niche type of freight. Once this is producing good results move on to another type and so on etc. However I do know over thirty brokerages that will hire a newbie. These are established brokers although not huge like TQL or CH, Alan Lund they do produce good numbers. It is still a proving ground though, Sink or Swim!

Hi there,
Could you list or recommend a few of these brokerages that would hire a newbie?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

lynn in Carrollton, Georgia

19 months ago

I know this post is old but i was wondering if I could private message you, I have a few questions, if you get this please email me at silvershears@bellsouth.net thanks

Kelley in Oak Lawn, Illinois said: That's not true..... I went to a lady in Georgia and she really DID teach me everything I needed to know. Grant it, once I left I had more questions. She was fine answering them later on because everyone knows with too much info up front, it's overwhelming.. Anyhow, I would at least watch the price of your class before you do it. This woman in Georgia is her own broker also. Basically what I do now from home. And I must say what I'm making a year only 1.5 yrs later from learning, it was all worth it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Kevin in Saint Louis, Missouri

18 months ago

Chris in Wilmington, North Carolina said: Nancy I would like to talk to you if you are looking for some experienced agents. i train agents and hire them for on the job training and also refer them to other companies looking to hire. they have a book of business with shippers and they have a good foundation. contact me thru my website infinitydispatchservice.com

Can you give me more info, speed4083@hotmail.com, thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Michelle WHZ in Kansas City, Missouri

12 months ago

I absolutely agree that most Brokers Schools are ripoffs. I had a very bad experience with LoadTraining (Load Training or loadtraining.com)with David Dwinell. I paid $2,000 for a one-week course and learned nothing. The time I spent in the class was a big waste. Everyday I had to listen to the stories of how this guy become rich and zero practical advises. Furthermore Davis Dwinell and his brother are trying to rip people off at every occasion. They tried to sell all imaginable products to us, but later I found out that most of this products are either free or not needed at all in brokerage business. I think he gets paid a commission or something from sale, that`s way he is pushing so hard this junk. I didn`t pay money to listen to the advertising day after day after day.It was a huge disappointment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Charles Freeman in Holton, Kansas

10 months ago

I own and run Renegade Freight Brokerage & Transportation, Renegade Transportation Dispatch Service, and Renegade Heavy Haul. I was a truck driver and learned to broker and dispatch from the Landstar agent I was leased to in Kentucky. I only use in house agents that I can teach. When they leave my training they have some of their own shippers and a website to dispatch from under our authority. Our dispatch office is real shippers and real truckers not a video and we sell no products. I do charge for training but when you leave you are and agent for Freight Brokerage & Transportation and not looking for a job. For more information contact Charles Freeman and if you got time check our website. www.renegadefreightbrokerage.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

margarita in Chicago, Illinois

9 months ago

Hello, I just finished training as a freight broker agent. I am very dedicated, passionate about the industry, with current relationships with carriers. I am looking for a job as a freight broker, I just need a chance to shine. If there are any brokers who are willing to give me that chance, please let me know

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Charles Freeman in Holton, Kansas

9 months ago

Renegade Freight Brokerage & Transportation 550730 will except new agents who have at least a year as a broker and who has a following.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Charles Freeman in Holton, Kansas

9 months ago

Crowley Freight Consulting in Hollywood, Florida said: You're the second person I've seen today that just finished broker school and unfortunately now are seeking a position with the brokerage without really any leverage. Most brokerage firms require experience or training through their program. Our firm will allow you to have job placement with them at 60 percent commission once you've completed training and certification total fees involved are $221. if you'd like more information you can email me at tloagents@gmail.com. you can also check out my website using the same domain name tloagents.com best of luck to you :-)

We teach people how to be a broker and when we are done you have a job as an agent for us. I have never seen certification fee but we do charge a training fee of $1000.00 for training and the only way to get certified is to get your own broker authority. Renegade Freight Brokerage & Transportation

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Crowley Freight Consulting in Hollywood, Florida

9 months ago

Our training program is only $129, but for those who want to sign on with our brokerage firm they do have to go through a certification program where they are evaluated and tested. The fee for that is $50. Upon completion they receive a certificate. LAB is an accreditation with an annual fee of $42. So like I said the total fees involved in the process it takes to become eligible to have job placement with our firm is $221.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Charles Freeman in Holton, Kansas

9 months ago

Crowley Freight Consulting in Hollywood, Florida said: Our training program is only $129, but for those who want to sign on with our brokerage firm they do have to go through a certification program where they are evaluated and tested. The fee for that is $50. Upon completion they receive a certificate. LAB is an accreditation with an annual fee of $42. So like I said the total fees involved in the process it takes to become eligible to have job placement with our firm is $221.

I just looked threw your website tloagents.com which turns into crowleyfreightconsulting.com/ Found nothing about personal training so it looks like you sell books. We do on the job training at Renegade Freight Brokerage

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Crowley Freight Consulting in Hollywood, Florida

9 months ago

No, there is a manual but the training sessions are live interactive Skype sessions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Charles Freeman in Holton, Kansas

9 months ago

Crowley Freight Consulting in Hollywood, Florida said: No, there is a manual but the training sessions are live interactive Skype sessions.

I thought so. No one on one real live training. No on the job training with real shippers and carrier. I see that you are a agent not a broker. If you were that good you would be a broker. Don't advertize as a brokerage trainer when you are not.

Charles Real Freight broker at RenegadeFreightBrokerage.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Crowley Freight Consulting in Hollywood, Florida

9 months ago

Why are you attacking me? I've never represented myself as a broker trainer. The training is done by a freight broker and unless you actually sign up and go through the training please don't put it down because I went through it myself and I think it was very beneficial and a great experience at a very affordable cost. Not everybody has one or two thousand dollars to spend on training in order to get the opportunity to work as a freight agent. My husband is an owner operator and I'm very happy to have joined him in the logistics industry. I'm also very happy to share the information about it with others. If they want more details they can contact me directly. Sorry if you feel like I'm taking business away from you. You explained about your program and if someone's interested I'm sure they'll contact you. This isn't a competition and you don't have to put me down in order to build yourself up. have a good evening.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Charles Freeman in Holton, Kansas

9 months ago

Crowley Freight Consulting in Hollywood, Florida said: Why are you attacking me? I've never represented myself as a broker trainer. The training is done by a freight broker and unless you actually sign up and go through the training please don't put it down because I went through it myself and I think it was very beneficial and a great experience at a very affordable cost. Not everybody has one or two thousand dollars to spend on training in order to get the opportunity to work as a freight agent. My husband is an owner operator and I'm very happy to have joined him in the logistics industry. I'm also very happy to share the information about it with others. If they want more details they can contact me directly. Sorry if you feel like I'm taking business away from you. You explained about your program and if someone's interested I'm sure they'll contact you. This isn't a competition and you don't have to put me down in order to build yourself up. have a good evening.

That might have been good for being your husband was in trucking so you had some experience but don't send people who really want good training and want a job the wrong way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Crowley Freight Consulting in Hollywood, Florida

9 months ago

I wouldn't do that. The training is very good and the ongoing support is fantastic, from both the training program and the firm.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

James in Kingman, Arizona

9 months ago

amber in Ashburn, Virginia said: I am very much interested in becoming an agent and am sure if given a chance will deliver results with committment.

Here you go.Tell them That James Lee refereed you. www.freightbrokertrainer.com/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

James in Kingman, Arizona

9 months ago

Paul F in Chicago, Illinois said: Sir , is there any way that I can get some starter points in how to follow on your footsteps ? I am doing the CDL school right now and I wanted to go to a freight broker school after a few months on the road.
Thank you and have a nice day!
Paul

Hello, Here you go,www.freightbrokertrainer.com/

Tell him James Lee sent you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jimmycrackcorn56 in Bullhead City, Arizona

9 months ago

Hello, Here you go,www.freightbrokertrainer.com/

Tell him James Lee sent you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Chgodreams in Chicago, Illinois

7 months ago

Kelley in Oak Lawn, Illinois said: That's not true..... I went to a lady in Georgia and she really DID teach me everything I needed to know. Grant it, once I left I had more questions. She was fine answering them later on because everyone knows with too much info up front, it's overwhelming.. Anyhow, I would at least watch the price of your class before you do it. This woman in Georgia is her own broker also. Basically what I do now from home. And I must say what I'm making a year only 1.5 yrs later from learning, it was all worth it!

@Kelly -- What lady did you go to in Georgia? I'm trying to learn Freight Brokerage

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Chgodreams in Chicago, Illinois

7 months ago

I'm a towing dispatcher TRYING to become a truck dispatcher -- but I'm finding that companies consider brokers and dispatchers the same thing. I'm finding that it's not easy getting into trucking companies -- Can anyone make any recommendations. There's NO advancement when working for towing companies and I yearn for more advancement opportunities!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Chgodreams in Chicago, Illinois

7 months ago

W in Wheaton, Illinois said: Dave,

About 6 months ago I worked for a well known clothing store. Retail has not been my dream job. I used a headhunter to find me another job. I told them that I wanted to be in sales. I got a chance to work for the broker I work for now and it has been the best change in my life. I started on the bottom tracking trucks all day long. Then learning how to enter loads into the system. About a month ago I decided to start making calls to see if I can get some customers. This is were the challange come in. You will get a lot of no's and a lot of people saying they will give you a shot but dont. Then you will call people and find out that they do bids once a year (make sure you know when those bids are and make sure you get on their bid list). After just a month I now have 2 solid customers and a few that I have helped out with one or two loads and everything went great but they just dont have trust with in me yet. I have to grow and build their trust first and show them that they can trust me with their freight. A lot of companies have had a bad experince with carriers or brokers. I guess what I am trying to say is that you realy don't need to go to school. Try do find a broker that needs a tracker and then work your way up. It all start with learning how to track and talk to the carriers.

@ DAVE -- That is EXACTLY what I'm looking for I'm looking for someone willing to let me work for their company from the ground up! How does one find a Broker that needs a "tracker" can you email me at "chgodreams@gmail.com"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tami S. in Palmyra, New Jersey

7 months ago

Michael in Nashua, New Hampshire said: In my opinion, you do not need to go to freight brokering school. You need a basic understanding of sales; know about the types of freight/trailers you will load ie weight, pallet count, dimensions; rates other brokers are paying, in the beginning you need to pay the MOST to the truck; get your own FHWA authority less than $400, find a bond (dont get the $10000 trust); get some load board accounts (find some shippers there(most are cheap)but its a start); find a factor so you can quick pay trucks(charge for the quick pay and that will more than cover the factors charge) Dont factor you fast paying customers that pay immediately to 10 days. Pay your trucks on-time and do not let carriers screw up your loads without implementing reasonable fines. Be fair. This is a GREAT business to be in. Good Luck!!

Great advise.. You sound like you should be teaching/lecturing ... why not ..1-2 days a week with 5+ students .... either via book, online course or class room and make the extra money.. just get an assistant to make copies and do paperwork or staples .. etc... thanks for the advice..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

trucker43 in Bay St Louis, Mississippi

7 months ago

Not only in the beginning but at ALL times pay the TRUCK the most and keep your BEST carriers happy & reliable!!! Don't become known as Cheap & Heavy (C.H.Robinson)!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Joan Sinawa in Saint Augustine, Florida

7 months ago

My name is Joan Sinawa.  

I was an over the road solo company and Independent truck driver for 3 years.  After I came off the truck I was freight brokering from home.  I was doing quite well until I realized I wasn't brokering legally. So I shut down right away. I do not like to do anything illegal.  I was an outside sales rep most of my life. Ran a moving company in the 80's for three years.  Was a bill collector/claims adjuster for 4 years and as I mentioned I was a truck driver and freight broker.  

 Call me crazy

I love the business and its challenges like finding new Shipper, Carriers, Consignees. I can quickly build a good rapport with just about anyone.  I am presently working from home. I would like to be an agent where the commodity is not limited because I can get any thing transported even heavy equipment over seas( I maybe a little rusty with the overseas transport I haven't kept up with the laws ).

Groom Able
 Also I believe when I work for a business I respect the way they want their business run and do things their way. I am very groom able. I am originally from NJ and I live downtown St Augustine , FL and I drove tractor /trailer through every state on the USA and Canada. Stayed out on the road sometimes 4 months at a time. So If you’re an legitimate company that treats there people decent enough and you want to hire someone who is reliable dedicated, with a can do attitude. E-mail me and lets start making money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Joan Sinawa in Saint Augustine, Florida

7 months ago

Wow thank you now that an idea I could teach the from start to finish humm what would I charge? You know I think not alot. My mission in life is to teach people how to make a living from home. So What would you pay (honestly) for this education.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Determined 2 Succeed in Montgomery, Alabama

7 months ago

Charles Freeman in Holton, Kansas said: I own and run Renegade Freight Brokerage & Transportation, Renegade Transportation Dispatch Service, and Renegade Heavy Haul. I was a truck driver and learned to broker and dispatch from the Landstar agent I was leased to in Kentucky. I only use in house agents that I can teach. When they leave my training they have some of their own shippers and a website to dispatch from under our authority. Our dispatch office is real shippers and real truckers not a video and we sell no products. I do charge for training but when you leave you are and agent for Freight Brokerage & Transportation and not looking for a job. For more information contact Charles Freeman and if you got time check our website. www.renegadefreightbrokerage.com

Hello Mr. Freeman I decided to join this forum after seeing your post. You provided great information as to how I could possibly train as a Freight Agent. I've had Class A license for over 12 years and had experience driving but I really would like the opportunity of working as an Agent. I will be viewing your website for additional information. Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Donna in Richmond, Virginia

6 months ago

Kerry in Tacoma, Washington said: No one wanted to hire me as a agent so I said screw it i went an got my authority licensce I think its hard getting started i dont know im tryin to do things on my own I dont have no shippers yet Ive been callin but the hard part is getting the shipper to trust u. Im not going to give up Im very passionate about this. Im still tryin to move my first load Ive been doing this for 2 months now. How long did it take some of u to move your first load?

Hi Kerry:
How are you doing now since you have been doing this for some time. I am looking at getting into the business and just getting some books to read on brokering since most places are not looking for schooling. I hope you are doing well!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.