WILL CARRIERS EVER FIND A WAY TO ELIMINATE THE NEED OF A BROKER

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 82)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

lancemcdaniel in Rochester Hills, Michigan

77 months ago

Carson carriers can eliminate the use of a broker anytime they want and deal directly with the shipper. But does it make sence in most cases to do the tedious work it takes to get a load from a new shipper. Get your MC# and put up 10k for the bond. Spend 10 hours in a truck stop cold calling shippers just to save $200 bucks. Us brokers are really just glorified salesmen. Of course there is much more to this, but this is the basic.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (34) Reply - Report abuse

jojo in Sparta, Tennessee

74 months ago

Im a carrier, and i think your all barking up the wrong tree. Have u ever heard of divide & conqure? No one should be working against each other, all our futures depend on freight. And as for the monopolising brokers like CH Robinson CUTTING everyones throat, just remember what goes around comes around & history showes all great empires come to an end abruptly.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (96) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

trish

74 months ago

I agree with you Fred. I started as an agent over a year ago and it has been tough, I have managed to pick up a few good shippers...not that I can support myself as of yet. Most of the agents that started when I did have already given up and quit. When I call a shipper and he tells me what he is going to pay usually they aren't someone I want to deal with, you get what you pay for. I don't want to deal with drivers who have an F rating because its just too risky. Like you, if everyone would just let it sit rates would go up. If I cant pay my carriers a good rate I leave it alone. These people who are wanting to become agents and think they are going to be making big money are in for a shock...I wouldn't suggest it unless they already have connections in the industry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Craig in Renton, Washington

74 months ago

With all the wireless internet it might be easy for shippers to not deal with brokers. I have seen some software where the loads are entered and emailed out to carriers or independant truckers can look them up to place bids. Not a broker or agent just researching. If the shipper can pay asap it might be harder to get into this biz of broker. Any input would be great since this seems like a deal breaker for me.

If it goes down this road I would think truckers would not see more pay because savings would be passed to the customer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

B in Encinitas, California

73 months ago

Broker vs Carrier
Brokers are not all bad or out to under cut their carrier partners. Carriers are a valued asset and partner.

A little understanding of what brokers do might be needed.
Brokers are the outsourced logistics management partner of their shipper clients who desire a single point of supply chain management to free up their resources to focus on their core business.

Shippers who utilize Brokers are larger volume shippers who looking to the broker partner to be their virtual staff which manages, schedules and tracks all aspects of their freight needs including the staff resources to manage and the costs involved in moving their freight to coordinating multiple lanes to get their freight from A to B in multiple destinations.

From a shipper prospective (in the above scenario) it defeats the purpose of outsourcing supply chain distribution if they had to in-house management to coordinate multiple single source providers to meet their freight distribution needs.

Larger carriers have in-house brokerage authority and staff but in the case of a single or independent carrier.

Brokers Shipper Clients - shippers utilize brokers financial resources to pay carriers, management staff and most pay terms are 30 to 60 days out on invoicing and brokers assume risk on load funding- can independent carriers afford this?

Value brokers bring to carriers - payment on carrier terms & minimizing payment risk or delays, staff costs, insurance, bond requirements financial capital that brokering freight requires. Brokerage is basically carriers sales force by keeping them loaded vs. having to constantly seek loads on a regular basis.

In the end, customers dictate costs and realize that many shipper clients are savvy on rates, and if they go direct to carrier typically they will negotiate that exact rate that would have been paid via broker or less and the carrier assumes all the financial risk exposure and freight management requirements

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (41) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Kelly in Oak Lawn, Illinois

73 months ago

or you can find me and make 75% but you have to do the dispatch work. Heck, you have to work anyways right?! And work from home too! I handle having the authority and taking care of the financial things. I'm a small company, small companies don't take you to the bank ;) unless its in a good way.

and the above post above me... I had a guy who has been doing Dispatch work for the longest time start working for me. And he made $85k last year.. Working from home. Many days only 2-3 hr days. AND he didn't start until April ;)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Kelly in Oak Lawn, Illinois

73 months ago

Frank in Ancram, New York said: So in other words you make your people wait for over a month before they are paid. Way to go and that big 55/45 split wahoo you are a joke

My guy gets paid when i get paid from customers... Basically 2-3 weeks. I'm the good guy ;) I've worked for other companies for years.. I hate when companies screw people over. Especially the hard workers! This is why I started MY own biz!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

jmhanna in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina

73 months ago

I have been on many forums lately looking for PROFESSIONAL insurance sells agents. Can anyone tell me where a formum might be where people act like professionals and exchange tips, sucess plans and positive input?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

roxana in Los Angeles, California

71 months ago

jojo in Sparta, Tennessee said: Im a carrier, and i think your all barking up the wrong tree. Have u ever heard of divide & conqure? No one should be working against each other, all our futures depend on freight. And as for the monopolising brokers like CH Robinson CUTTING everyones throat, just remember what goes around comes around & history showes all great empires come to an end abruptly.....

well i agree with u bcuz like someone else said if it were'nt for the carriers the products wouldn't b shipped out and the brokers wont b the ones pulling the loads...I also think that big industries like chrobinson have the means to pay carriers a better salary...My husband is a new owner operator and is getting a crappy wage for loads coming to California. ppl think that drivers r rich but its not like that bcuz everything from food to repairs is VERY expensive and @ the end whats left is not a lot...just enough to pay all our debts....That why i want to bcome a broker to see more $$$ coming in...It would eventually b like if we were dealing directly with the shipping company...with his part and mine...So we'll see what happens in the future...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

btate in Clarkston, Georgia

71 months ago

Kelly in Oak Lawn, Illinois said: or you can find me and make 75% but you have to do the dispatch work. Heck, you have to work anyways right?! And work from home too! I handle having the authority and taking care of the financial things. I'm a small company, small companies don't take you to the bank ;) unless its in a good way.

and the above post above me... I had a guy who has been doing Dispatch work for the longest time start working for me. And he made $85k last year.. Working from home. Many days only 2-3 hr days. AND he didn't start until April ;)

I'm interested in working for a company as a freight agent from home I don't know of a company that will hire new agents without experience or training. I need a company that will hire and train me to do the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Renee in Palm Bay, Florida

71 months ago

I'm looking to work as a freight agent as well. Can anyone recommend a freight training program and/or a company that will train its own agents?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

slandrove in San Antonio, Texas

67 months ago

Jason in Punta Gorda, Florida said: We are a mid size broker. We do a 65/35 split and we pay our agents when we receive the invoice from the carrier. We pay weekly so in most cases you are paid on a load within a week of it being delivered. We also pay for Getloaded, Internettruckstop and Dat. If our reps average more then 10000 a month we pay up to 500.00 for health insurance as well.

I've been looking to get in the business for over a year but want to become an agent. I don't know where to start, very lery about the online schools. I would like to work for a company that will train me, if possible. Any advise?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

JJ in Eden, Texas

50 months ago

carsonallen1 in Medford, Oregon said: I hope Scott Woods Weighs in on this! Could something such as a law passed by congress or anything a carrier can do allow carriers to deal with shippers without the need of a broker or agent?

What most of the carriers have is broker authority too, check out this site... (safersys.org) if they have that, that means that they can deal with shippers directly...most of the times carriers just sign up to loadboards and locate their own shippers..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Elma in Saint Louis, Missouri

48 months ago

J M Hanna in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina said: I have been on many forums lately looking for PROFESSIONAL insurance sells agents. Can anyone tell me where a formum might be where people act like professionals and exchange tips, sucess plans and positive input?

Join some insurance groups on linked in. Very good source of all kinds of info.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Stacey in Edmonton, Alberta

48 months ago

Freight brokers are 100% unnecessary. If trucking companies stuck together and only hauled freight for direct customers and other TRUCKING companies the industry would be in a lot better shape. And yes I realize it would be brokered freight from a trucking company, but at least the trucking company has an understanding of our costs and they also have "skin in the game".

For all you brokers out there that think trucking companies need you, you are sadly mistaken. If all the trucking companies stopped hauling your freight you wouldn't survive. On the flip side Carriers would be in a stronger position dealing directly with the paying customer.

For those of you wanting to become "freight agents" or "broker agents" because you think it's easy money, think about the men on the road who work hard and in a lot of cases spend only a handful of days or nights with their loved ones. Ask yourself why you deserve to take money out of their pockets. If you want to make money in a win win situation, Take a commission sales job for a trucking company, you can then transition into being an agent for a trucking company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (34) Reply - Report abuse

R51 in Savannah, Georgia

47 months ago

I think this is tit for tat. I own a trucking company and a freight broker company. As far as brokers taking money from the truckers you really need to get a grip. Everyone has their place in this business and if you drive a truck it’s because you have chose to do so! Dispatchers and brokers spend as much time at the office as you spend in your truck. In fact my dispatchers get calls from drivers 24/7 they can’t pull over and get their 8 or 10 hours off like a driver. I know from experience that you cannot have a customer account to load your trucks where ever you may go. Trucking companies are their worst enemies by cutting rates to get freight from another carrier and the shippers love this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Hello in West Orange, New Jersey

47 months ago

Renee in Palm Bay, Florida said: I'm looking to work as a freight agent as well. Can anyone recommend a freight training program and/or a company that will train its own agents?

I'm looking for a partner in my new broker business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Hello in West Chester, Pennsylvania

47 months ago

Everyone has a comment about a freight broker as if this middle man is your blame for cheap freight. The real issue stems from you as the individual who is willing to haul freight at such a cheap rate. Most have no negotiation skills to work out the shipping cost to move freight and as for brokers they advertise and sell a service as if they only negotiate for their commission. There advertising or letters are to state we haul your freight with back haulers in mind as to say to the shipper this will provide a cheaper rate because the carrier is going back home. The reasoning for such advertising is because the broker caters to the shippers needs rather than the carriers and positions themselves in desperation of getting business. When your advertisement to shippers state something such as we find your preferred carrier and book at your rate, all at no cost to you or our job is to save you money or you will get a commitment to find the lowest rate. We work with trucks that want to go where your freight is going, at the rate you request we call these trucks back haulers. They charge less for service. How do you expect to get ahead when you have a lousy broker to negotiate for you and you yourself dont have these skills either. A shipper would be glad to work with a carrier being that they get even a lower rate working directly with the carrier because you dont know how to negotiate. It's been a fact that brokers are able to pay carriers better then shippers as reported on stats located on Transcore or Goolge search it. The issues that need to be corrected in this industry stems with the individual who controls the money and the one who has that control it all starts with shippers. One must learn to get the shippers to pay what the haul is actually worth instead of lets the shipper get your by the balls.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

GERNIC1016 in Hialeah, Florida

47 months ago

Hello in West Orange, New Jersey said: I'm looking for a partner in my new broker business .

I AM LOOKING TO BECOME A FREIGHT BROKER/AGENT, WILLING TO WORK MY BUTT OFF.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

TK in Chicago, Illinois

46 months ago

Hahaha. This forum makes me laugh. EVERYBODY is a broker! Is that not what carriers are doing, just brokering themselves to customers. It's never going away. If you eliminated every freight brokerage across the U.S. today, I promise Carriers and Customers all over would Struggle. If there was no need for a freight broker, that means every carrier across the nation would essentially have to hire more people to broker and build more clients in order to make a profit. AND if you cut out the middle man, forget about getting fair rates, customers are running a business and trying to keep costs low, they would eventually start to low ball carriers because they have the authority to do so. If carriers do not move anything, they are never making money. Brokers are their to help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Dare Tuitt in Beaverton, Oregon

46 months ago

trish said: I considered doing sales at one point, but after getting that first customer I knew I would rather be an agent. I started with a company that had only been opened a few months and managed to get a few accounts and some excellent carriers. I signed on a couple major carriers when we were only on our 8th month and we don't offer any kind of quick pay. I also love problem solving, which you will probably have to deal with 50% of the time. You have to keep everyone happy. Just to accomplish the small things keeps me from giving up.

How did you find the carriers? I have been trying to find carriers and they all don't want loads - its amazing!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

TK in Chicago, Illinois

46 months ago

Completely understandable, our company handles a wide range of OTR, LTL, IMDL etc. But we do mostly backhaul shipments... We deal with some of fortune 500 companies that have dedicated fleets and they pay them HUGE money to secure trucks, Im talking like $6 dollars/mi and on the backhaul some of these carriers will literally take .99c a mile for 2,000 mi loads. This is why this industry is tough and a lot of carriers don't understand that's what drives rates WAYYY down. Although this isn't the case everytime, but if I have a customer and we have a carrier that will do it for that amount of money it saves our customer a lot of money

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

rgb1064 in Pensacola, Florida

45 months ago

TK is right finally somebody with some inside info :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Larry in Carbondale, Illinois

45 months ago

carsonallen1 in Medford, Oregon said: I hope Scott Woods Weighs in on this! Could something such as a law passed by congress or anything a carrier can do allow carriers to deal with shippers without the need of a broker or agent?

The law that needs to be put back in place is the one that says all transactions must be open to all parties and no broker may take more than 3% of the load fee. If the Democrats would have left things alone then we would not have these big broker companies taking 30 to 60% of the line haul and 50% of any detention that is paid. I know these numbers are high but I am in a position that I have seen those numbers take place. Also, CHRW bids from 2.28 a mile to 4.00 a mile on all there loads. Then they will offer .96 to 1.50 to the truck. If you have a long standing relationship with them then you may get more but that does not happen often. If you are getting $2 a mile then CHRW is being paid $3 or above. They will say "That is what the market calls for in that area" but the shipper is under contract for a year with most of their brokers and pay the same price all year. Don't ever believe a broker when they say that is all they got, they will never give you all they got or take a loss on a load. BUT, they sure will make the general public think that. When I see these stories in the transportation e-zines I laugh when it says "brokers lose money in the mid-west". The only person fooled is the author of the story because us readers know better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Michael in Omaha, Nebraska

44 months ago

I was once sitting in the office of a friend of mine in Earth City, MO. While sitting there talking I received a phone call from a broker aka Freightqoute. He tells me he has this load going from Earth City, MO to Hastings, NE. I instantly turn the speaker phone on so everyone could hear what was about to be said. Broker tells me he is need for a truck to move this load and he will give me everything he has in it $850.00. I said really your going to give me everything you have in it. Broker says yes. I ask what is the commodity he says refrigeration parts for thermo king. I put the broker on hold. What the broker didn't know I was sitting in office where that load was to be picked up and the person paying the bill heard everything the brokers said. The shipper was paying $1700.00 to FreightQoute for load to be moved. There is nothing wrong with the broker trying to make as much as he can off that one load. You never know he may booked 10 other loads that morning that he lost $50.00 a load on. But I doubt it. If you look at the larger companies with peaple lined up to haul freight .85 to .95 plus a crappy fuel surcharge the guy may .40 per mile after fuel. Its no wonder they try to get away with it. Because statistics tells them they can. There is a sucker born every second and there must be 100 to 200 a second getting into the trucking industry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

KL in Omaha, Nebraska

43 months ago

I'm interested in being a freight broker/agent I am willing to learn is there anyone in the omaha area who are offering classes or on the job training.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Johnny the broker

41 months ago

Brokers and carriers both need to each other just like they both need the shipper. Carriers drive the rates up during produce season just like brokers beat the carrier up on the backhaul home. This is all part of it. And if a broker OR carrier claims they are not making good money then they are doing something wrong. If you have the startup money owning a big carrier is a good way to make millions of dollars. Take it from me I am a broker who started with nothing and purchased my own carrier. I love my job(s).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Superior in Oak Forest, Illinois

41 months ago

We pull a lot of produce in the summer - a backhaul customer base was created over the years - we now pull directly without the need of paying a broker.

If we cant get to a load - we pass it on to a restricted group of carriers.

When speaking to customers, show them some of the large carrier CSA scores - explain that large is not better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Georgia Carrier in Calhoun, Georgia

40 months ago

I have heard some wise comments on here. I have a small trucking company and a dispatch service. I have had my business for six years doing OTR flatbed. Before that I worked for a medium company with 250 reefers directly under the president with contracts to large companies. I can say in my six years freight is by far the worst. 2012 has been rock bottom never getting ahead and many owner operators going under. I would love to blame this all on freight availability but sadly I have seen what loads pay. I do not care if the broker gets 50% as long as the carrier gets paid well. Afterall they do have the cost. What brokers do not understand is for a small company it takes 1.60 per mile includibg deadhead to run a 53 step. So you can figure what the truck needs to make in order to run a backhaul. And that is zero profit, just cost. I have taken $2000 for a load to learn the broker made $4500. Let these brokers say they are needed. I assure you they are not in an economy that cannot afford to pay the greedy. Someone mentioned freightquote. They are the most unorganized co I have ever dealt with and they never have the proper info. Another broker worth mentioning is the trained car salesmen group of TQL. The post loads in the wrong cities. The post partials on full boards which infuriates all carriers. They lie constantly. And worst thing is the cannot believe you want $2 per mile to the NE where you pay tolls galore. But then they expect you to take $0.50 per mile out of the NE. Sad shame and bad business. I at least rest at night knowing I tried to be fair. I nor my owner operators will take bad pay. Either many of these brokers do not understand what it takes to run a load or the do not care. Drivers go in the hole at $1.20 per mile. And I am not talking backhauls. I am talking TX to CO. That was the going rate for those loads last week even though the load to truck ratio was very high. No to cheap freight and boot the brokers!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Rob in Arlington Heights, Illinois

40 months ago

I work as a customer sales rep for a large freight brokerage in Chicago, IL. I have seen some comments posted on here over the past few months and I felt obligated to voice my opinion. Lets get something VERY clear here, CUSTOMERS are driving the prices down not BROKERS. They simply do not want to spend money moving their freight. At our company, a lot of customers consider our pricing way too high and they laugh in my face when I send them rates. I honestly don't understand how they get carriers to cover their loads, but they do, so who is to blame on that? Do I make decent spreads on some of my loads, YES. But I lose my ass on several others, so there's your tradeoff. Mr Georgia, .50cents a mile out of the NE, we pay more than double on that and outbound TX-CO $1.20mi, that's a joke. Getting rid of brokers, would not be wise. Customers and carriers would not have the resources/manpower to keep things operating if that happened.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Georgia Carrier in Calhoun, Georgia

39 months ago

Hi Rob, IL freight does pay. You being in IL are definitely not the freight broker I am referring to. I understand not all brokers are being unfair. But Rob do you think it is fair for a broker to get $2500 off a load and a driver to get $2000 when that load was going 1200 miles? Yeah the going rate for TX-CO being 1.20 per mile was a joke...sad oh so sad. Made me sick. And it is worse this week. Way worse. I know there are good brokers and I deal with many of them. I can tell what is what. I know that in places like ND, CO, UT, CA, etc the loads just don't pay. But I know that in the Northeast and Texas a lot of the time the broker is profiting much more than the carrier. For 2 yrs one company paid in the Northeast so we could always get out. That company didn't pay anywhere else in the country and the are a huge broker. They finally caught on that that they could keep half the load pay in the Northeast because there was a lot of trucks and they started doing it. I watched this with my own eyes. We no longer will take a load from this company. Sometimes I get brokers up $1500 to where I need to be by snapping my fingers and I just wonder why they were offering way below what any truck would need to begin with. Just seems sickening to me and sad. The one's taking the loads are idiots or just desperate. They have put everything they have into a truck and trailer. Ms. Georgia

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dallas in Buffalo, New York

37 months ago

Hello in West Orange, New Jersey said: I'm looking for a partner in my new broker business .

My Company does factoring for all freight Brokers, this helps with paying your truckers fast.. If anyone needs our assistance once you are up and running, please reply to:www.blackroyalconsultants.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dallas in Buffalo, New York

37 months ago

trish said: I considered doing sales at one point, but after getting that first customer I knew I would rather be an agent. I started with a company that had only been opened a few months and managed to get a few accounts and some excellent carriers. I signed on a couple major carriers when we were only on our 8th month and we don't offer any kind of quick pay. I also love problem solving, which you will probably have to deal with 50% of the time. You have to keep everyone happy. Just to accomplish the small things keeps me from giving up.

Dear Trish,
Do you use FACTORS at all? If no, Why not?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tommy in South Dos Palos, California

37 months ago

Dallas in Buffalo, New York said: Dear Trish,
Do you use FACTORS at all? If no, Why not?

Seems everything is about negotiations. "I have to ask my boss" is one of the most common things I hear. We should be talking about what you are taking and what I am getting, and most of all, what the driver is getting. Without the driver there would be no "us" in this industry. He just wants the miles. Wouldn't it be great to get 2 bucks a mile for all dry freight? I get tired of the "this is all were getting on the load" ~ I can get up at 4 AM and make a call. I will watch the load disappear off of the boards, only to come back on at 8 AM. Now they will pay the rate I need. I'm not trying to get rich, I'm just trying to make a living and keep my drivers happy enough to stay on. Driving 10/sleeping 10 does not cut it with freight going from Cali to North Carolina. This is why CRST is offering a 10K start up bonus for "pre-made" teams. Soon, everyone will be using teams. Then what? The freight will move faster and there is no way someone will settle for 1.50 a mile. This business can be rewarding and it can be cut throat. Honesty truly is the best policy. Lying just bites you in the ass sooner or later and so does scraping off the top and lying to the driver. He will eventually call the broker and find out what the load paid to your company. He may have developed some great contacts on his own. Don't underestimate all drivers as being stupid. In this day, they also have to be shrewd business men to keep their wheels rolling and their overhead intact. I'm still looking every day how to make my job less stressful. I'm sick of being burned by Brokers that can't be honest up front. Can you imagine being put in the position of getting what you needed on every load... by an HONEST method? The bottom line for me is communication skills and honesty. Also punctuality in return calls, check calls and sending or receiving confirmations.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

werneraz1 in phoenix, Arizona

37 months ago

Hi Rob I'm glad that you are going the extra mile to get decent paying loads ..I have to disagree with you in part. Not all brokers are to blame for cheap loads nor all shippers but I am a owner operator and bid for some loads out of arizona ...my price 2.15 a mile broker went in at 2.00 dollars a mile now he comes in an posted them at 1.10 a mile small broker firm maybe working for himself does not own a truck or a trailer but at the end when someone takes that load he will make 1600.00 if he finds someone to pull it

Rob in Arlington Heights, Illinois said: I work as a customer sales rep for a large freight brokerage in Chicago, IL. I have seen some comments posted on here over the past few months and I felt obligated to voice my opinion. Lets get something VERY clear here, CUSTOMERS are driving the prices down not BROKERS. They simply do not want to spend money moving their freight. At our company, a lot of customers consider our pricing way too high and they laugh in my face when I send them rates. I honestly don't understand how they get carriers to cover their loads, but they do, so who is to blame on that? Do I make decent spreads on some of my loads, YES. But I lose my ass on several others, so there's your tradeoff. Mr Georgia, .50cents a mile out of the NE, we pay more than double on that and outbound TX-CO $1.20mi, that's a joke. Getting rid of brokers, would not be wise. Customers and carriers would not have the resources/manpower to keep things operating if that happened.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

FreightMover in Colorado Springs, Colorado

33 months ago

I have read through this thread and I think a lot of you guys need to realize something about brokers and agents.

First of all, brokers/agents do not take any money away from carriers. They provide a service for their shipping customers. They get paid a premium (from their customer) for providing this service.

An example would be the following: A broker gets a call from their regular shipping customer. The shipper need to move a legal sized load 500 miles. The broker knows that they will have to pay a carrier $3.00 per mile (at the upper range of rates), or about $1500 total. The broker then tells his customer that he can get the whole deal done and moved for $2000. That is a $500 profit to the broker for the service that they will provide for their customer.

The carrier STILL GETS A FAIR TO PREMIUM RATE OF $3.00 PER MILE FOR THE LOAD. At no point in time will the carrier get "screwed" by the broker or take money out of their pocket. The only money being taken out of anyone's pocket is the brokers customer, who again, is paying for a service.

If the shipper had an "in-house broker" to move all of their loads and deal directly with carriers, they would still have to pay for those added employees. It would probably be more than they are paying to the brokers because they would have to deal with the high costs of having employees (training, insurance, workers comp insurance, benefits, vacation pay, etc).

In closing, the money that brokers or agents make is from their customer, not from under-paying the carriers and drivers. Most carriers simply will not take certain loads for less than a certain $ amount. If I have a load to move, it is not the only load in town and I have to pay a competitive rate to get it moved or the carrier will simply take another load. The carriers actually have the most leverage in the entire logistics chain.

I just wanted to make a lot of the posters aware of what is actually going on in our logistics world.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

grandpa2 in Saint Albans, West Virginia

33 months ago

Frank in Ancram, New York said: So in other words you make your people wait for over a month before they are paid. Way to go and that big 55/45 split wahoo you are a joke

I had my own rights and authority, used a broker a lot and the waiting game to get your money a month after the load was delivered. I then became an agent for a logistics company and that was as bad as running the trucks, still a wait and only got 8 to 10 % for all the work. Im getting ready to re-open my trucking company and logistics company but no brokers this time. Gonna try and make contacts myself and lease trucks to run under my authority and I'll find thier loads and dispatch them myself. the way I understand it, its legal just maybe a little more cost efficient. The most important thing is, where the big logistic companies are charging 15 to 20% just to let that load go Im only gonna charge 10% for finding he load and 15% to run under me and the drivers pay thier own fuel taxes and insurance. Give me about a month and look and watch on line here guys and I'll be looking for trucks to sign on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

DynamiteChilli in Eugene, Oregon

33 months ago

Why would carriers want to eradicate the broker from the transportation industry? It's like asking the CIA if they think they will ever be able to do their job without intelligence agents...Hummm. Hate to say it but "we" brokers make the freight go round. Carriers love us, customers love us, it's a happy place in broker-land!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

rkhicks in Fort Worth, Texas

31 months ago

grandpa2 in Saint Albans, West Virginia said: I had my own rights and authority, used a broker a lot and the waiting game to get your money a month after the load was delivered. I then became an agent for a logistics company and that was as bad as running the trucks, still a wait and only got 8 to 10 % for all the work. Im getting ready to re-open my trucking company and logistics company but no brokers this time. Gonna try and make contacts myself and lease trucks to run under my authority and I'll find thier loads and dispatch them myself. the way I understand it, its legal just maybe a little more cost efficient. The most important thing is, where the big logistic companies are charging 15 to 20% just to let that load go Im only gonna charge 10% for finding he load and 15% to run under me and the drivers pay thier own fuel taxes and insurance . Give me about a month and look and watch on line here guys and I'll be looking for trucks to sign on.

Well grandpa, how is the new business?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Geezergdad in Kingman, Arizona

26 months ago

Kelly in Oak Lawn, Illinois said: or you can find me and make 75% but you have to do the dispatch work. Heck, you have to work anyways right?! And work from home too! I handle having the authority and taking care of the financial things. I'm a small company, small companies don't take you to the bank ;) unless its in a good way.

Hello,Do you offer training for dispatch.I would be Interested.Thank You, Jim ( Bullhead City,Arizona)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Carlos Stewart in Detroit, Michigan

25 months ago

I am a Operations Manager for a small fleet of 10 trucks looking to get a brokers license to haul freight directly with shippers. Any one have info email me Stewlos38@gmail.com. We operate all states , we have 7 dry 53 van trailers 2 48ft Stepdeck trailers. We are based in Flint, MI

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Eugene in Pontiac, Michigan

22 months ago

Not gonna say there is anything wrong with brokering freight.. The name of the game is moving freight, and i do and will do so by any means possible. We try not to. We take different approaches first. Currently working under Mason Dixon. We have a ton of Mason drivers to utilize. BUT there are some lanes where Mason drivers are slim to none.. It is very nice to have brokering as an option. We move freight locally as well as common lanes and not so common.. We are always looking for more opportunities. Pretty much everyone in the game has something to offer, and we all get into pinches.. eugene5645@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

consolidated_logistics in Cincinnati, Ohio

22 months ago

Like others above me have said, its not necessarily brokers raping carriers, but also carriers accepting low rates (undercutting each other) which are driving the lane averages down (these are what shippers look at, guys) AND shippers cutting expenditures on shipping. We all eat and sleep by the transportation market, but unlike any other full-cycle industry, our end user (the shipper and consignee) typically treat shipping as ancillary, a necessary evil at best. Manufacturers and distributors try to cut shipping costs as much as possible, because their revenue is driven by buyers, and their prime expense is production or supply. We stand alone (wistfully thinking together) in the shipping game

That being said, I have spent some time with a big 3PL brokerage, with headquarters in Cincinnati. 3 letters that spell evil, need I say more? :) I developed some good contacts and learned a lot about the market. But, I refused to rape my carriers OR my customers, so, when asked to "give away" some lower-revenue accounts to another agent who I knew wouldn't care as much, I declined, and ultimately, had a clash of ethics with upper management

I started my own brokerage. My own authority, and so on. I have spent some time behind the wheel, and I've even worked as a logistics manager for a MAJOR company, so, I know quite a bit about all sides of this coin

I'm not here to advertise, but, drivers, there are some out here, myself included, that are here to provide a service to YOU. I get you loaded, and get you paid. The shipper is the payer, but NOT my asset, or my friend. You are my most valued asset. So, lighten up on us just a little and give us a chance :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

22 months ago

And, for all those looking for training, or work from home opportunities, I may be able to help you out a little. Shoot an email to consolidatedlogisticsgroup@gmail.com, include your contact info, a little about yourself, and detail your work history, especially anything in sales or shipping I'll get back to you

kimmy kim in Chicago, Illinois

20 months ago

looking for advise as well as training can anyone HELP

ucarriers in Pflugerville, Texas

20 months ago

I own a small brokerage in Texas. The MC number is from 2007 if that matters.
I'm willing to work with new agents. I can provide limited training or provide referrals for full training.

Please understand this is not a get rich quick job, it requires selling skills or contacts in the industry.

If interested email hbilbao@att.net

19 months ago

delubio de paula in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: Hey my friend, I have a transportation company. Two trucks and we are thinking on getting 3 other trucks by the end of the year.
Need some reliable trucks and truckers?
Send me an email.
Thank you!

Please email cgoss@consolidatedlogisticsgroup.com. Need some trucks w/ v/r or fb asap

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

aandrremarketing in Hightstown, New Jersey

19 months ago

Jason in Punta Gorda, Florida said: We are a mid size broker. We do a 65/35 split and we pay our agents when we receive the invoice from the carrier. We pay weekly so in most cases you are paid on a load within a week of it being delivered. We also pay for Getloaded, Internettruckstop and Dat. If our reps average more then 10000 a month we pay up to 500.00 for health insurance as well.

Im interested aandrremarketing@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

denise.daddydtrucking@*****.*** in Saint Albans, West Virginia

19 months ago

Lance McDaniel in Rochester Hills, Michigan said: Carson carriers can eliminate the use of a broker anytime they want and deal directly with the shipper. But does it make sence in most cases to do the tedious work it takes to get a load from a new shipper. Get your MC# and put up 10k for the bond. Spend 10 hours in a truck stop cold calling shippers just to save $200 bucks. Us brokers are really just glorified salesmen. Of course there is much more to this, but this is the basic.

I am a dispatcher for our trucking company...I understand the broker and they have to get paid too. just as the driver, dispatch, insurance companies, and the fuel used to haul freight. without fuel the freight doesn't get hauled. I see in the forums about 2.00/3.00 a mile. we are just starting out with this company and have a 40ft 19,500lbs they call "LTL/PARTIAL" loads. getting 1.00$ a mile has been a challenge. I have dispatched as well for full loads still 3$ a mile is difficult. all any of us are trying to do is make a living. I am struggling getting freight to move at a good rate I only started dispatching april of this year, and don't know a lot a bout all this, but can say you can not move freight for less than a dollar a mile. and that is expected. brokers have sent my driver to where the place was suppose to pick up and find out once at destination it is 285 miles in another state. once again Fuel on top of not getting paid but 1.50 mile. regardless of hotshot truck or full semi....I need advise from someone to help my driver (owner of company as well) thrive! grow! LIVE! any suggestions from anyone?

19 months ago

denise.daddydtrucking@gmail.com in Saint Albans, West Virginia said: I am a dispatcher for our trucking company...I understand the broker and they have to get paid too. just as the driver, dispatch, insurance companies, and the fuel used to haul freight. without fuel the freight doesn't get hauled. I see in the forums about 2.00/3.00 a mile. we are just starting out with this company and have a 40ft 19,500lbs they call "LTL/PARTIAL" loads. getting 1.00$ a mile has been a challenge. I have dispatched as well for full loads still 3$ a mile is difficult. all any of us are trying to do is make a living. I am struggling getting freight to move at a good rate I only started dispatching april of this year, and don't know a lot a bout all this, but can say you can not move freight for less than a dollar a mile. and that is expected. brokers have sent my driver to where the place was suppose to pick up and find out once at destination it is 285 miles in another state. once again Fuel on top of not getting paid but 1.50 mile. regardless of hotshot truck or full semi....I need advise from someone to help my driver (owner of company as well) thrive! grow! LIVE! any suggestions from anyone?

Do you have any drivers in NC/TN/KY/VA right now? I'm trying to cover a load, 914 miles from southern ky going northeast, and I'm paying $2.20 min. FTL, 22 pallets. I can help get loads out of NY too if needed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.