What are the best freight agent broker qualifications and training to get ahead?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 182)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Reynaldo Holguin in Donna, Texas

78 months ago

I would like to know if Freight Broker Boot Camp is any good?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

JohnInElPasoTx in El Paso

78 months ago

It is very good for the $97. But if you want to actually go ahead and set up a full blown freight brokerage, you will need more. Much more.

I hope this helps.

jeff in Keller, Texas

78 months ago

This forum was meant to be a place where brokers and agents could learn from one another. Not a place to advertise; however, I know school operators that are giving out free invaluable advice.

Freight Brokers and agents play a viable role in keeeping
both the shippers and the carriers up to date on this ever changing industry (like transportation laws that can help or hurt the shippers).

For example new hours of service laws greatly impact the rates as well as the fuel surcharge. It changes weekly.

I read all the comments ad yes you can tell who is for real and
who is not real quick...

Just ask yourself are they sharing this information from to help me or is their anything for them and you will clearly know your answers.

Their are no happy takers in life -only happy givers. You got to give more than you take and it's caled the high road for a reason.

I believe in this format. I have learned a lot from other schools, carriers, owner operators and one man brokers and girls of course. You never graduate from learning.

Have a nice evening and do something kind for someone without any one knowing about it buy and you will be blessed beyond measure.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sydney Ann Adams

78 months ago

jeff in Keller, Texas said: This forum was meant to be a place where brokers and agents could learn from one another. Not a place to advertise; however, I know school operators that are giving out free invaluable advice.

Freight Brokers and agents play a viable role in keeeping
both the shippers and the carriers up to date on this ever changing industry (like transportation laws that can help or hurt the shippers).

For example new hours of service laws greatly impact the rates as well as the fuel surcharge. It changes weekly.

I read all the comments ad yes you can tell who is for real and
who is not real quick...

Just ask yourself are they sharing this information from to help me or is their anything for them and you will clearly know your answers.

Their are no happy takers in life -only happy givers. You got to give more than you take and it's caled the high road for a reason.

I believe in this format. I have learned a lot from other schools, carriers, owner operators and one man brokers and girls of course. You never graduate from learning.

Have a nice evening and do something kind for someone without any one knowing about it buy and you will be blessed beyond measure.

amen

Sydney Ann Adams

78 months ago

Barbara Collins in Kansas City, Missouri said: My name is Barbara Collins and I am a broker out of Springfield, MO. I have been in this business for 20+ years. I know that a few of you have different screennames and location profiles. I really don't care what you think. I am free to read and post. I must be doing something right to get all of this attention. Insecurity is an awful thing. You would think you would have more to do than to keep up with me and my friend. Oh yes. She is better and is coming back to work next week. God Bless

pray and smile

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Wendy

77 months ago

Money Money in Dothan, Alabama said: Wow, its great that you are making that many phonecalls to new accounts, but honestly, if you are only converting .4% (less than 1%) of your cold call into customers, then you are doing something wrong. Not sure if your calling the wrong areas, calling on freight your not familiar with or what.

Dont get me wrong here, I am not downing you. I am trying to help you find where your making mistakes at so you can be more successful. I think i would throw the phone out the window if I even made 100 cold call and didnt pick up a handful of accounts. Like I said, I am not sure if its your terminology, your knowledge about their industry or what. Either way, something is not quite right.

With you being cussed out and hung up on, I wonder what it is your saying? I have come across rude sounding people, but never been cussed out nor hung up on by a customer, or potential customer. I dont know man, wish I knew what to tell you, but getting customers is not that hard to do really. Its a numbers game, but your numbers arent working for some reason. Maybe you do need a script? I dont use them and dont like them, but you never know.

Thank you Money I get scared when I hear things like that. I have a hard time making 50 calls a day and I do find at least 3 out of the 50 that use freight brokers but they tell me they like the ones they have. I spend the rest of the day calling the few I found that use freight brokers looking to pester them enough to use me. What I am able to get is loads that need to go right now and I don't have the carriers lined up when I look on the loading boards they have the same loads listed several times so I know that this load is given to several brokers. I just can't seem to get those customers yet but eventualy I will I just started and when I read stuff about not being able to do this I get scared and want to go work at wal mart then I wait about a minute and think I can't I'm a freight broker

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Wendy

77 months ago

John D Thomas in Juarez, Mexico said: Exactly, then, what IS your guarantee? Are you guaranteeing results? If so, what are they?

If you are only guaranteeing 100% satisfaction without guaranteeing results, are there any reasons why a person would not get a 100% refund if they told you they were dissatisfied?

What are your disclaimers, if any?

Could a person get a refund after taking your training without actually working the business?

If what you say is true ($3K-$5K on many or most loads???), I want to take your training and I want to move about 10 loads per week. At 10 loads with just a $2K profit per load, that's about $20K profit per week and over $1 million profit every year.

I can squeeze by on that. I'm ready for training!

John do you give a refund?

Wendy

77 months ago

Al in Sacramento, California said: Good morning to all,
To all of you who is looking for help and how to start freight broker business my advice to stay away from any one that promise you to help to start for any amount of dollars. Those jerks just trying to get any money from you. When I started those “money makers” out of your packet offered me help from $15K to low $50. Stay away. All you got to do is find shipper that will do business with you and connect them to the truck that needs a load. If you feel like you can do this get your MC numbers ($300) pay for bond and start making money. Check this site and don’t pay any more money than you have to. www.fmcsa.dot.gov Good luck to all.

Thanks Al but don't you need a little more information to suceed? I wish I had the money to take everyones class because no one will help for free. They all want to keep it to theirselves. I wish it was free because I need all the help I can get and this message board is off its either come to my school or stuff that has nothing to do with how do you get a shipper to work with you when you are new? I took a few training things and its really for the most part a lie and waste of money. my best information was free just wish it didn't take so long to find free its far and wide that for free stuff but to pay a lot and get so little is wrong

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

frank in Moreno Valley, California

77 months ago

Wendy,

I understand your frustration when calling on customers. The truth is, most companies already have a broker or carrier they are comfortable with.

As an example I called Cargill the other day because a plant here in California told me they schedule all their freight. The person I spoke to on the phone said they already had a broker they have been using for about 15 years that had all their freight for this particular area and they were not going to change.

It is frustrating. When you do business with someone you get to know them. You get to trust them and it is not worth your trouble to change to someone else you don't know for just a few dollars in savings. In this business one load gone wrong can cost tens of thousands of dollars. And that is how it is for the shippers as well. Your going to have to provide a real benefit to get a customer to change. To some that's a better rate to others its not.

But how do you do that if they won't let you in? Well its tough, but you have to be creative and it will take TIME. Maybe you have to meet them. Try to google them and see if they are part of any business groups, then attend those meetings and try to get to know them. Do they report to someone else? Try to go over their head and establish a relationship with their boss, or the owner of the company. Then, if you get a good relationship, try to get their boss to suggest they add you to their list of shippers.

This is just like any other sales job, over all it takes time to build the relationships for the good accounts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Wendy

77 months ago

frank in Moreno Valley, California said: Wendy,

I understand your frustration when calling on customers. The truth is, most companies already have a broker or carrier they are comfortable with.

As an example I called Cargill the other day because a plant here in California told me they schedule all their freight. The person I spoke to on the phone said they already had a broker they have been using for about 15 years that had all their freight for this particular area and they were not going to change.

It is frustrating. When you do business with someone you get to know them. You get to trust them and it is not worth your trouble to change to someone else you don't know for just a few dollars in savings. In this business one load gone wrong can cost tens of thousands of dollars. And that is how it is for the shippers as well. Your going to have to provide a real benefit to get a customer to change. To some that's a better rate to others its not.

But how do you do that if they won't let you in? Well its tough, but you have to be creative and it will take TIME. Maybe you have to meet them. Try to google them and see if they are part of any business groups, then attend those meetings and try to get to know them. Do they report to someone else? Try to go over their head and establish a relationship with their boss, or the owner of the company. Then, if you get a good relationship, try to get their boss to suggest they add you to their list of shippers.

This is just like any other sales job, over all it takes time to build the relationships for the good accounts.

Thanks 4 the good information. I know of a company that uses a local carrier for all their loads. I want to get them to try me out on one load to prove myself. I can offer better service and lower price I'm going to start by writing a letter/brochure then follow up calls hoping to get maybe a lunch meeting. I need suggestions on letter content to raise interest. wwt1957@aol.com

77 months ago

Wendy said: John do you give a refund?

If anyone is seeking guaranteed success as a freight broker, then they should stay away from any training program. No program can provide that. As far as refunds on our training, I have NEVER had anyone come close to asking for a refund. Why?

Most of my clients view my blog and my website. Both are jam-packed with information. Especially the blog - it has a ton of free information. I also provide free eBooks to explain the industry. These are NOT sales-oriented, hyped-up sales efforts - they are honest, down-to-earth opinions on the FB business based upon actual freight broker and small business start-up expense.

There is nothing wrong with a carefully worded refund offer. Carefully worded because most trainers cannot recoup all the time they spend on training. How does an unhappy client return "time"? It's impossible and there is no physical product to return.

I am working on a carefully worded refund so I can protect my time and effort. But, thus far, I have had no need for it. My business has been exploding for the past four years. I just added a new associate to help answer questions and we will be penetrating the market in other effective ways that may virtually eliminate our need to offer a refund.

For those seeking training, there is no substitute for finding a trainer who is willing to give some free nuggets BEFORE they actually expect any money.

jeff in Keller, Texas

77 months ago

Amen John

77 months ago

Wendy said: Thanks 4 the good information. I know of a company that uses a local carrier for all their loads. I want to get them to try me out on one load to prove myself. I can offer better service and lower price I'm going to start by writing a letter/brochure then follow up calls hoping to get maybe a lunch meeting. I need suggestions on letter content to raise interest. wwt1957@aol.com

Wendy,

Nearly everyone can offer "better" service and "lower" rates. So, you would appear to be just like everyone else. You need to come up with a unique selling position and I'll admit, it isn't easy. But you don't want to sound like every other freight broker out there. Also, the truth is, you don't want to be a "cheap" freight broker. If your shipper can't pay you competitive rates - drop them like a hot potato - regardless of how badly you are seeking new customers.

Brokering is no different than any other service-oriented business. I was told many years ago that it would take me 7 years to get established in my new accounting practice. It will take some time in the freight broker business but it won't take you 7 years.

Steady, confident, patient (and impatient at times) effort with realistic goals will get you where you want to be.

jeff in Keller, Texas

77 months ago

when it comes to bringing in new customers, you first need to make sure your talking to the decision maker. Then you
ask open ended questions to find out if their is a need for a new vendor at this time.

Listen 70% of the time - remember they are not rejecting you, they may reject your offer but that just means you don't have what they want yet or they do not know you well - you have to have trust.

Their are only four reasons why people don't buy from you

1. no money
2. no need
3. no hurry
4. no trust

The transportation industry is in a perfect storm now. This
is the time to find your niche - stay focused on the shipper and the carrier's needs and show up for work every day.

Moving Forward,

Jeff

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Wendy

77 months ago

JohnInElPasoTx in El Paso said: Wendy,

Nearly everyone can offer "better" service and "lower" rates. So, you would appear to be just like everyone else. You need to come up with a unique selling position and I'll admit, it isn't easy. But you don't want to sound like every other freight broker out there. Also, the truth is, you don't want to be a "cheap" freight broker. If your shipper can't pay you competitive rates - drop them like a hot potato - regardless of how badly you are seeking new customers.

Brokering is no different than any other service-oriented business. I was told many years ago that it would take me 7 years to get established in my new accounting practice. It will take some time in the freight broker business but it won't take you 7 years.

Steady, confident, patient (and impatient at times) effort with realistic goals will get you where you want to be.

thanks

frank in Moreno Valley, California

77 months ago

jeff in Keller, Texas said: when it comes to bringing in new customers, you first need to make sure your talking to the decision maker. Then you
ask open ended questions to find out if their is a need for a new vendor at this time.

Listen 70% of the time - remember they are not rejecting you, they may reject your offer but that just means you don't have what they want yet or they do not know you well - you have to have trust.

Their are only four reasons why people don't buy from you

1. no money
2. no need
3. no hurry
4. no trust

The transportation industry is in a perfect storm now. This
is the time to find your niche - stay focused on the shipper and the carrier's needs and show up for work every day.

Moving Forward,

Jeff

Now the board is finally giving these people answers for their questions rather than just looking to sell them training.

Hooray.

john in Houston, Texas

77 months ago

well I've been oround getting information to become an agent in fact I went to a school in phoenix,az and I think customers deserve the best service you can give them.
I would like to have a place where I can do hands on training or a place to work because a think I am ready to start but I would like to secure my success doing it besides someone with reputation and able to give a hand to a new agent.

Ari Wibowo in Columbus, Ohio

77 months ago

I'm thinking of getting into freight broker and have been looking around online for the training (online) I came across DOT that charges about $550 plus. I used to work in shipping (2 years)and have worked with different truck drivers when they came to pick our loads when I called the brokers. I would like to learn but before becoming the broker, perhaps in order to get my feet wet, I could become an agent first and work with a company who is willing to show me. I'm a hard worker, customer oriented ( yes, my customer wants their products ASAP), and a quck learner. Please someone point me to the right direction. Any info and offer would be deeply appreciate. You can e-mail me: wibowo2@aol.com Thanks/ ari

Debi in Frankfort, Kentucky

77 months ago

Lisa in Frankfort, Kentucky"]need more info reply to this message and i will give you my phone number.

Lisa,
I would love more information.

David Barnett in Detroit, Michigan

77 months ago

jeff in Keller, Texas said: I now of at least three schools that offer full assistance if your disabled.

Google

freight broker school - do your research

Hi Jeff. I would appreciate the info because I'm a Broker now and I need some assistance

Larry Callis in Baltimore, Maryland

76 months ago

Hello my name is Larry and I am currently a regional truck driver. I am very eager to become a freight agent. I am a novice to that industry however I have a background in sales. I figured that if I can learn the mortgage business and do well at it then I can definitely excel in brokering freight. I am looking for a freight broker that will train me so we can make money together as long as the commission split makes sense. I already have the set up of a laptop, fax, internet, and phone. All I need now is the guidance. My email address is in my profile. Please contact me.

Ingrid in Atlanta, Georgia

76 months ago

Ryan Gruhn in Ames, Iowa said: I own a freight brokerage with the main office based in Ames, Iowa. We are willing to work with inexperienced agents around the country if they have the drive and focus that it takes to be successful. Training programs can be helpful for someone who hasn't worked in the transportation industry, but we are often willing to work with people who don't have experience. We use very intuitive web-based software to manage our business and offer the top loadboards for our agents to use. We don't charge our agents for their software access, we pay our agents twice per month and offer a competitive commission structure. Please click on my profile link and contact us through the information you find on our website if you are interested in learning more. Thank you.

Best regards,
Ryan

Hi Ryan,

I am vry interested in getting into the Freight Brokerage field. I have worked in the Financial Services field (Mutual Funds) for the past 10 years. I have a BA in Mass Communication. I do not have a transportation license (I have just started my research to see what's involved). Am I someone that you are willing to work with?
I am well organized and able to multi-task. Please provide some direction.

Thank you
Ingrid

dawn in Detroit, Michigan

75 months ago

Ryan Gruhn in Ames, Iowa said: I own a freight brokerage with the main office based in Ames, Iowa. We are willing to work with inexperienced agents around the country if they have the drive and focus that it takes to be successful. Training programs can be helpful for someone who hasn't worked in the transportation industry, but we are often willing to work with people who don't have experience. We use very intuitive web-based software to manage our business and offer the top loadboards for our agents to use. We don't charge our agents for their software access, we pay our agents twice per month and offer a competitive commission structure. Please click on my profile link and contact us through the information you find on our website if you are interested in learning more. Thank you.

Best regards,
Ryan

Hello, My name is dawn and I am interested in this type of industry. I have been looking online but unsure of which way to turn on this. I am interested in working with an estabilshed company as an agent from home. I do live in detroit mi. so Iam not sure how all of this would work but I am very interested in doing this work part time while i am in college. This would be the perfect opportunity for me if I could get the help that i am needing. if you could please forward any needed info to me at dnorris628@yahoo.com

Ingrid in Moreland, Georgia

75 months ago

I am currently considering the freight broker business. My biggest obstacle right now is actually finding shippers and convincing them to use my service. Any advise on that?

John in Juarez, Mexico

75 months ago

How are you presenting yourself if you are just "currently considering" the freight broker business? Why are they not interested? Not too many shippers will respond favorably if you have not yet received your broker authority or if you appear as not knowing what you are doing.

Can you give us more information? Thanks

jeff roach in Keller, Texas

75 months ago

Lori is right. Great info.

Shippers are everywhere. Remember a few things.
Try to get in front of your customers - eye to eye. So keep your calling area within fifty miles of where your office is. That way you can drive out to see your shipper. Also you will know your headhaul and backhaul rates and competition if you call all the manufactures in your area first.

. Make sure the shipper has good credit. If you get snakebit by one shipper you could lose several thousand dollars very quickly. Get to know the AP person and the traffic manager. Make sure the freight is new and make sure the shipper pays the bill. You might want to check the value and make sure it's under 100k.

Just some quick thoughts...have a great Sunday

Good job Lori! Way to share.

(only two types of people in this world - givers and takers - the givers are the happy ones)..

Moving Forward,

Jeff

mildrey macias in Harrisonburg, Virginia

75 months ago

hello, I want to know what is the first step to study and how much is the cost of the course, the exact address to which I apply to start studying, and that nesecito time to get my diploma, please need more information, everything what I should know before you start, as I would like to be soon.

negorky in Houston, Texas

75 months ago

Hi I would like to know more about this one please let me know about it my email negorky@hotmail.com

carla barnes kansas in Wichita, Kansas

75 months ago

Ingrid in Moreland, Georgia said: I am currently considering the freight broker business. My biggest obstacle right now is actually finding shippers and convincing them to use my service. Any advise on that?

I help people find shippers. I also am looking for a new gig. Please call me.
Carla <Edited by Host: contact info removed>

Heather in Tampa, Florida

75 months ago

I want to work from home as being an agent to help me get the experience that I need to own my own freight broker business. Are their any companies out there that I can do that with and are willing to train me for free. I want to work from home. Please email me with information to captivatng71@msn.com. Thank you in advance.

75 months ago

Is it better to start out as being a freight forwarder or a freight broker agent first? Just wondering which direction I should go. Please email me at captivating71@msn.com if you can give me some advice. Thank you.

The Freight Trainer in Peru, Illinois

75 months ago

Not any that you will actually make any money with. There are 1000's of people who want free training. There are also hundreds of brokerages who say they will offer training, the only problem is most of the brokers simply turn you into a lead generator for them. You make no money and basically work for free. Or they are new brokers just starting out who really do not even know the business yet themselves. They are seeking bodies to put on the phone and generate any type of revenue.

75 months ago

They are (2) totally different professions.

john houston in houston, Texas

75 months ago

I agree with some people about there is many brokers saying they can help other to learn about it, but when you talk to them, right there you can see they are only looking for people who's putting all the efford to became an agent working for them and not receiving any compensation or like others that keep asking for money and then later desapear like they never had talk to you.

Shanell Stephenson in Centerville, Utah

75 months ago

You guys are thinking of freight brokering as difficult, every job has parts that are difficult. To get into fright brokering you must obtain the numbers, a bond and your boc 3. You can do these without paying someone to do them for you. It is $300.00 to file to MC- paper work for you Authority; Your Boc 3 has to be an outside agent, they are located all over don't pay more than $35.00 for this paper that they file for you. Whatever your bond will cost, usually $10,000 and your insurance agent will file that for you. www.fmcsa.gov and you get all the forms and file all the rest of the paper work.
You must get the shippers to give the loads to you, and then you must have the trucks to move these loads. So you need to be a sales person to get these started. I always think of it in banking terms, I am a loan processor and I want this particular car lot give me all their loans that come through, I give a percent to them or in other words very fabulous gifts. They give me all the incoming loans now we are in business with this car lot; I am going to do the same for the next 3 and so on.
I have done everything myself, even down to incorporating and doing my own articles, the research is out there you just have to search for the answers that you need.
You can get contact list from thomasnet.com and leanardsgude.com; I also use the chambers of commerce in local areas. You can also order phone books for free to be delivered to your address of any city you want.
The recourses are out there just start thinking outside the box. The biggest part is getting trucks, the rest will come. Shippers are easy, give them a good rate they will use you plain and simple. Most don’t care how new or established you are, they need there freight moved. Other shipper have there broker’s, local agents that they prefer to work with. The old sane “the squeaky wheel gets the oil” is true just keep letting them know your there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

I have a small trucking company and I only deal with owner operators. They work the hardest and they are the ones that want to make the money. I charge 5% of the load to broker them out. That is pennies, those pennies turn into thousands and so on. I am not here to take advantage of anyone my new company that I started in January will gross over 6 million this year; I have 9 owner operators and my husband. We are getting ready to break out it the brokering part because of all the shippers that I have contacting me.
I would have never gotten involved in this industry unless this wasn’t my husband’s dream. It is possible to make them come true. Do your research and if you can do it yourself, the cheaper it will be for you. There are way too many people in the pockets and everyone wants the buck.
I read everything and bought nothing, called FMSCA and DOT for all my questions and they are there to answer them for you.
Good luck out there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Hi Shanell, can I get your email address I have a couple of questions and perhaps you can answer them for me.

jeff in Keller, Texas

75 months ago

Just to get you qualified to be a broker is around 11k. Next your going to have significant cash flow to pay carriers before you get paid by the shipper. You are also going to have credit issues just starting out. This is the hardest time in the last 20 years to open a brokerage. However, it cost almost nothing to be an agent. I would research and then do more research if someone is saying it is easy to open a brokerage. You better have some major cash. Start off learning as an agent for a broker if your new. That is the smart thing to do.
No question about it.

Ask any broker who has been in business for at least two years how much cash you need to run a brokerage. Being an agent is the smart move.

Jeff

75 months ago

I did not catch the text of the last part of this conversation but I do agree with Wendy that a lot of people are getting ripped off with their training we are consistently being ripped off because they are not even taught the fundamentals of freight brokering including but not limited too: The Legal Aspects, Handling Claims Properly, Different Types of Equipment, Lane Quoting, Accessorial Charges and Types of Freight Etc. We normally get at least (2) people monthly that have attended other classes, we have found and have seen the truly poor trainers in this business. This is one of the main reasons we started training people in the first place. We actually operate a very profitable brokerage and our agents currently run anywhere from 12% - 38% commission depending on the commodity and the lane. The one thing we stress is that to actually learn this business you have to participate in it while in training and receive on going support of which we provide. All of our candidates are placed with brokerages with stellar reputations and seasoned agents such as ours or Landstar etc. For thos considering becoming a Freight Broker or Agent "Look Before You Leap" and do not believe the hype. You can make in excess of six figures your first year out but it will require a lot of work and guidance.

75 months ago

jeff in Keller, Texas said: Just to get you qualified to be a broker is around 11k. Next your going to have significant cash flow to pay carriers before you get paid by the shipper. You are also going to have credit issues just starting out. This is the hardest time in the last 20 years to open a brokerage. However, it cost almost nothing to be an agent. I would research and then do more research if someone is saying it is easy to open a brokerage. You better have some major cash. Start off learning as an agent for a broker if your new. That is the smart thing to do.
No question about it.

Ask any broker who has been in business for at least two years how much cash you need to run a brokerage. Being an agent is the smart move.

Jeff

The only start up capital required is a basic office set up with high speed internet and accounts with load boards like DAT 360 or Truckstop. The only ones that really matter. As far as the initial investment, it would be wise to have enough money to cover (3) months bills prior to becoming a broker, this a primary reason a lot of people start as a an agent. There are more than 10 factoring companies I can think of right off hand that will help you pay your trucks by offering Comchecks for fuel advances, Quickpay for final settlements etc. They charge very low rates starting at 1.75%. They will be happy to work with you. I send my students to them all the time. By using them for (6) months it helps you to establish your credit with carriers as a freight broker and you will also have more carriers willing to take your freight.

75 months ago

wendy I see you replaying to all who gives information and I agree with a one day seminar is not enough to be prepair to start as a broker not and agent do you have any experience to share about how to start the bussines. I have experience as a owner operator and I think people dont get it, owner deserve better service than someone with no experience in the industry to manage their loads.
I would to be trained by someone who is experience, I dont care if I have to pay but I realy need someone that is a pro not a roockie.
What you can tell me Wendy.

75 months ago

wendy I have a small company and we always broker our loads and lately brokers are going out of bussines I have bills not paid because that I dont know what to do the bond dont pay enough to get the revenue back from that point there is a big amount of brokers putting owner operatores out of bussines

75 months ago

wendy can I have your email and by the way I had receive a course with some people in phoenix but I would like to learn with a pro on my side and I am completely convence that I have to pay and I will.

75 months ago

john houston in houston, Texas said: wendy I have a small company and we always broker our loads and lately brokers are going out of bussines I have bills not paid because that I dont know what to do the bond dont pay enough to get the revenue back from that point there is a big amount of brokers putting owner operatores out of bussines

I always run credit on all brokers for that paticular reason. it is free go to freebrokercredit.com and sign up before you run the load. You use ther MC to run and it will give you a credit score.

jeff in Keller, Texas

75 months ago

We have a o.o that is not getting paid by brokers. That has been my point all along. Brokers have to have significant cash flow - meaning they must have enough cash to pay carriers, staff, overhead, everything before they get paid by the shipper.
It is not a good plan to factor your bills if your a broker because your average load pays 12-15% margin and if you use a factor- you might as well be an agent where you have no issues with cash flow. That is why I only let brokers that are strong
on the balance sheet recruit from my school.

Don't open a brokerage on a shoe string unless you plan on moving one to two loads a week and you plan on growing slow.
Working as an agent requires you to build a relationship with a broker and a home office.

If you have 100k - then go for it but it needs to be risk capital because it's risky now. If anyone is not telling you
that then they are just not be honest.

You have to have Cash$ to run a brokerage and not factor cash. Factoring is like going to a check cashing place. The % you pay to the factor is your profit.

Pay the carriers on time. net 21 at the least. Don't take junk freight from shippers that do not pay on time. Run everyone's credit.

Happy Freight day to all. Sometime you have to get up early to get your loads covered.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

John

75 months ago

It is not the "business" that requires so much capital - there are "living" expenses that need to be covered until you get established. This is where a lot of people fall short. They focus, then, on making a lot of money right away in brokering and this usually does not happen quickly.

You don't need a ton of money to start a brokerage but if you don't have some cushion to pay trucks on time it just means that you will progress at a slower rate. Using factors is one source for the cushion but you have to use them wisely.

Working as a Broker Agent is a solution for some people (we have broker agent training as well as freight broker training), but a person needs to look at the pros and cons of working both as a freight broker and a broker agent.

One thing that many people may not realize about financing resources is this: if you have good to excellent credit and if you are with a large bank, they will most likely extend a line of credit to you based solely upon your credit status. No business plan, no cash flow projections, etc.

You might be able to get $10K to $20K quicker than you realize. Check this out if you have good credit and if you have an account with a large bank.

jeff in Keller, Texas

75 months ago

John is dead on. Almost every project or new business will take twice as long to work and cost twice as much as you think...
I read that in a book called - what I would do if I knew 25 years ago that I know now"...

Sounds like solid advice to me and it is accurate.

manuel in Waldwick, New Jersey

75 months ago

how do i find a good website to get leads for i can start calling

jeff in Keller, Texas

75 months ago

Finding Shippers

There are many resources available for locating your shippers. You can find many online resources (some free to use, or free for a trial period) by doing an internet search for categories such as “Directory of Manufacturers.� Manufacturers’ directories are some of the best sources because you many ship bulk products. And remember that you are looking for clients with large shipments.

If you want to do more specialized searches (such as books and web sources that show more detailed information about the company), normally these sources cost money – because generally, the more research and details that they have put together on the company, the more that the information cost to compile. However, these more detailed sources will allow your marketing to be more focused, which allows you to be more productive faster – so consider making the investment.

Another great way to tap into these sources without having to spend a lot of money is to go to the reference desk at your larger public library, and find out what business directory sources that they have (especially Manufacturers’ Guides and Directories). Many of these libraries carry the current issue of these expensive resources, for you to use at no cost to you. Most often they will be reference books that you can’t check out, or websites for in-library use only, but you can make copies of pages for areas or market niches that you are currently wanting to target.

Here are some of the resources that you can tap into for finding potential clients:

· Manufacturer’s News – Lists Detailed manufacturers’ information; 800.864.7000; www.mnistore.com
· Chamber of Commerce – Local, State, National Chambers publish directories of manufacturers in the areas that they serve. Joining your local chamber can be an excellent resource;

jeff

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

manuel in Waldwick, New Jersey

75 months ago

thank you Jeff

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.