Are freight agent broker job opportunities growing or declining?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 363)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Host

Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

Where are the jobs? Which places have the most freight agent broker opportunities?

Reply - Report abuse

hardly workin in Kingsland, Georgia

95 months ago

freight agent jobs are seriously declining;there is such a move right now in selling "freight broker training" for thousands of dollars that basically tell you what forms you need to submit to what federal agency and certain laws needed to comply with and then tell you find a market or niche that suits you,and thanks for the two thousand dollars..and so then people run out and try to move freight for $1.00 per mile and it has really destroyed trucking prices...this market is in a recession right now...but freight broker training is a booming market....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (50) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

Paul in Florida in Tampa, Florida

95 months ago

The people who take the "freight broker training" are not the reason for the recent downturn in the market. Any good shipper will not turn his/her merchandise to some rookie in the business with no "name" or ratings. The current downturn is mostly due to so much excess capacity in the marketplace right now. It always runs in cycles.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

doc jones in Houston, Texas

94 months ago

Im looking for a good company to start out with as a freight agent,however i didnt see any e-mail address.New to this site and really want to find some solid contacts in this business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Donald in Toronto, Ontario

94 months ago

Hello,

I own some trucks and would like to get some broker training.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

rob in Denver, Colorado

94 months ago

what do you teach how to sale,what the going rate is,where to look, because i will teach you how to be a successful at teaching so you will be the one people want to learn from.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

rob in Denver, Colorado

94 months ago

all you have to do is learn how to move & bid freight it is not that difficult don't pay someone to teach you this find a broker who is willing to to set you up as an agent. if you are a salesman and have a trac record you should'nt have a problem with this although the market is pretty Saturated. so don't let anyone tell you its not. this is not a good oppertunity because of the Saturation. people will let you pay them to teach you just to get money from you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

rob in Denver, Colorado

94 months ago

Host said: Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?
Where are the jobs? Which places have the most freight agent broker opportunities?

Don't let the so called teacher of freight brokering try and sell you the know how because they are teaching because they can't make any money at brokering. Right now the market is so Saturated it is very competitive. Some companies have been around for along time and shippers trust these companies which is why they continue to be successful. New companies pop up daily and go down daily. Because of the Saturation. I wouldn't recomend starting a new company but maybe finding a company thats been around awhile that is willing to help you get started as an agent.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

John Allen in Fort Smith, Arkansas

93 months ago

The truth is that being a freight broker is very profitable if done correctly. One cannot expect to start today and have a paycheck next week. One needs to be prepared financially for the first 6 months of their new career. There are a number of reasons to obtain training. The first and most important is so that you are sure that you know what you are doing before you move a load that could cost someone thousands of dollars if done wrong. Saturation is an excuse of those that fail or are failing in this business. Those that are successful aren’t complaining, as a matter of fact we are thankful that the market is saturated because it allows us to provide a better and more professional service for our clients...both shippers and carriers. Most that teach, train, consult or whatever you want to call it are normally those that have had tremendous success and are willing to share that knowledge, yes for a price, with those wishing to enter the industry. Why shouldn’t they?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Keller, Texas

93 months ago

Just check out the TIA web site and you will find postings for freight broker agents. 25-30 last time I looked.

Or look at Monster or the other job and career web sites.
This is a great time to get into the business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ann Anderson

93 months ago

I am interested in broker agent home business. Can someone please help me. I don't have any training, had a stroke last year and need to work at home. Can't afford classes need someone to train me. Please help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Keller, Texas

93 months ago

So your a Broker?

I am an agent and trainer and a company President of one of those schools. Brokers recruit our graduates, or people open Brokerages.

I believe we can only do so much in a week or two so the more
the broker continues to train the agent, the more likely each will proser. I teach my brokers to treat your agents like customers. These graduates are willing to make 50 calls a day,
wait 6 Months before making any real money and work straight commission. Every students is told the cold hard facts.
The ones that do come in for training get about a 3 year learning curve but only they can put that knowledge to use.

Good Look in your Brokerage and your training program.

Thanks for responding - Sounds like your doing great!

JR

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

G in Del Rio, Texas

93 months ago

Host said: Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

According to Transport Topics today 4-11-2007:

3PL Revenue Tops $110 Billion

U.S. third-party logistics gross revenues topped $110 billion for the first time last year, according to a report on the 3PL industry released this week.
3PL gross revenues were $113.6 billion in 2006, a 9.5% increase, according to the report released by Armstrong & Associates.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

jeff in Keller, Texas

93 months ago

Just so everyone knows a 3pl is a brokerage on steroids.
All large trucking companies have brokerages and agents.

They call them 3pl's because the shipper will outsource all the distribution and even allow the broker or agent to have an office
in the plant.

Third party logistics and 3pl and brokers are all the same.
They serve the needs of the shipper and carrier. If the salesman wears a tie, they call them 3pl's.

If they are corn bread and ice tea simple business men and women they are property brokers or brokers....

Business is great for the non=asset companies. It is the fastest growing segment in the transportation industry.
Transportation makes up 5%m of our total GNP.

Think about that!

JR

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

D in Omaha, Nebraska

93 months ago

Getting started in brokering is tough, unless you can get with a company that already has established customers you can work with. Getting loads from shippers is not difficult at all. New customers will give you crappy loads that no one else wants, or they will give you the loads at rates that the trucking companies you try to work with will laugh at, especially once you take your commission off the top. If you have an Uncle or Cousin that works for a big company that has lots of truck load freight and you know they will help you out, go for it. Otherwise, be prepared to make no money for a very long time. If you can stick it out, you might make a living. I think it is like real estate, some people make big money, the rest are just picking up the crumbs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

D in Omaha, Nebraska

93 months ago

Go above and beyond in customer service sounds great. You can blow their doors off with customer service, but in the end, all it takes is one upset truck driver who decides, at the last minute, that he is not going to take that load that you booked. Or, worse yet, he decides he is going to be late with it, or just drop it all together. Now you have an upset customer and no amount of "customer service" is going to make up for the fact that their load is late or still sitting at the dock. You have no control in the brokering business. In the end, once that truck is loaded, everything is in the hands of the driver. I've had hot loads that were dropped in my lap at the last minute by the carrier because of "mechanical problems". Most probably, they found another load that worked out better for them. Don't get me wrong, I love being a broker. I love the wheeling and dealing and challenges that go along with it. But it is not for the faint of heart. You will take (and give) a lot of a$$ chewing in this cut-throat business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jacob w/Logistic Dynamics in Buffalo, New York

93 months ago

PS- U.S. third-party logistics (3PL) gross revenues topped $110 billion for the first time last year, 3PL gross revenues were $113.6 billion in 2006, a 9.5% increase, according to the report released by Armstrong & Associates. Right Place (LDI) Right TIME (NOW).

so there is the answer to the question this forum started with it is growing!

93 months ago

Mason give me a call [Edited by Host] Contact info deleted

Please do not post Contact info in the forums.
If you would like to set up a profile please go here to log in
www.indeed.com/my/profile

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

MRH in Omaha, Nebraska

93 months ago

Looking at the business. Worked for large trucking company on the claims side and dealt a lot with shipper and consignees on cargo claims. Have access to trucks and trailers and considering freight business and transportation business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Melissa W. in Hattiesburg, Mississippi

93 months ago

Where can I go to get training materials to be a broker agent.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

93 months ago

Melissa W. in Hattiesburg, Mississippi said: I am looking to find learning manuals for freight broker agents that won't cost an arm and a leg. I am new a this position and would like to have some books for reference.

If you can help I would apprecate the help.

Thanks

Melissa

Melissa My company doesnt work with people who dont have experience but we found a e-book that we fell is very good and all thou we dont make people agents that buy it we feel it is the best bang for your buck at $97 it contains all the info you need to understand the biz now you should still get exp as a dispatcher or sales rep or operations person before starting out but the book is great email me and i will send you the link it will get deleted in here

jacob_w-logisticdynamics in Buffalo, New York

93 months ago

[Edited by Host] Contact info deleted

93 months ago

Scott Williams in New Holland, Illinois said: You need to become an agent with a successful brokerage. . Investigate thoroughly.

I am happy to tell you that she joined a VERY successful broker (goldbook, thousands of carriers under contact, software made and continuously developed by us, quick pay options fuel advances... all the bells and whistles) You are right anyone thinking of becoming a broker do your home work watch for FEES, contracts that involve them taking ownership of your customers, non-competes that TRAP you with them, lack of technology, bad credit history with both carriers and agents... find a place you can stay with because every time you change brokerages you will lose between 10-40% of you customers so pick a place you can retire with. i also agree with you theory in your previous comment about cheap freight, we dont gouge customers like some places do or try but we do turn away BAD freight. if you are making 100$ on a load but it takes you 7 man hours to work cover and move it thats bad freight. you want customers that pay to have good service and protect their product not the guy that will leave you over 20$ and b***h at for bad service when he is not willing to pay for good service.

Melissa Walker in Bogue Chitto, Mississippi

93 months ago

Do anyone know of any freight broker agent seminars that anyone offer to learn new things in the business.

Melissa W.

Jeff in Keller, Texas

93 months ago

Melissa,

Good morning. Go to google and type in freight broker schools.
You will find several to choose from. I am a believer in
training as a foundation then find someone to mentor you.

I know you can get a one day seminar up to one company that offers a full two weeks of training.

I also know that the on-line course offered through most universities in America is unreal. It has been honored by several sources as the fastest growing e-course in the continuing education department of over 600 Colleges and Universities.

I know that you will find several brokers that will train you and give you a agent position as well. (maybe for free). I honor these people because that is how I got my start.

You need to research all you can. I find the more research
I do the better decisions I make.

Ask for references - If the school or broker or mentor is
doing it right then they will have plenty of references.
If you plan on investing in education, you will shorten
your learning curve. No question. Remember you never graduate from learning.

You will need at least six months of living expenses
saved before starting as an agent. This is a great industry and
every broker I know is looking for a good agent who understands that you have to work if you want your agency to work.

Have a great freight day....

Moving forward,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Melissa Walker in Drew, Mississippi

92 months ago

I would like more information about your offer on training for broker agent. How much do you charge for the training? Please email me back asap.

Thank you

Melissa W.

Jeff in Keller, Texas

92 months ago

To oakville ont.

If you would like to interview our graduates
after graduation then check out our free Friday resource day.
Afetr completing our elearning course or class room course we have all the leading vendors and about 8-10 brokers who recruit. We are always looking for quality people who really want to hel our graduates.

Our graduates either on-line or via our school need mentors
after graduation. Our raining expedites the learning curve.

We don't take any placement money from vendors or brokers and we do not sell anything except education.

Feel free to contact me if you want a steady flow of agents to
recruit. I screen all applicants, broker and vendors on behalf
of our clients.

I assure you these are the most tenacious poeple in the world. All of our agents understand it is a commission deal.

All understand it takes 6 months to get going and that if you have the right knowledge and a person like to you to keep teaching them - they will be in a good shape.

I am sure you can find my info and web site. Good Job on your business.

I admire and respect all of those of you who are actually in the game not watching from the sidelines.

We train about 20 a Month in class and 75 on-line. Some
of our students want to start a brokerage, some are drivers and OO who want to become better educated and some are folks that would not be able to work if they could not work at home.

Moving forward

Jeff

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dale in Lake Dallas, Texas

92 months ago

Jeff in Keller, Texas said: Melissa,

Good morning. Go to google and type in freight broker schools.
You will find several to choose from. I am a believer in
training as a foundation then find someone to mentor you.

I know you can get a one day seminar up to one company that offers a full two weeks of training.

I also know that the on-line course offered through most universities in America is unreal. It has been honored by several sources as the fastest growing e-course in the continuing education department of over 600 Colleges and Universities.

I know that you will find several brokers that will train you and give you a agent position as well. (maybe for free). I honor these people because that is how I got my start.

You need to research all you can. I find the more research
I do the better decisions I make.

Ask for references - If the school or broker or mentor is
doing it right then they will have plenty of references.
If you plan on investing in education, you will shorten
your learning curve. No question. Remember you never graduate from learning.

You will need at least six months of living expenses
saved before starting as an agent. This is a great industry and
every broker I know is looking for a good agent who understands that you have to work if you want your agency to work.

Have a great freight day....

Moving forward,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Audrey (Host) in Austin, Texas

92 months ago

Thank you all for using the indeed forums. In accordance with our policies, any advertising or contact info posted on these forums will be removed. If you would like to contact each other please set up a profile and put your contact info there www.indeed.com/my/profile Remember to make it public if you want others to see it. Thanks!

Donna in Macomb, Michigan

92 months ago

Jacob w/Logistic Dynamics in Buffalo, New York said: If you are experienced in Transportation and want a company that speaclizies in freight broker agents then contact me at jreid at logisticdynamics dot com or visit our website at logisticdynamics.com We dont charge for training or the software but you do need to have transportation exp and customer contacts. i look forward to answering any questions and going over our broker program.

We have A auto transport company, now I am getting into transport brokering need to know the software that is for this line of work.

92 months ago

Donna in Macomb, Michigan said: We have A auto transport company, now I am getting into transport brokering need to know the software that is for this line of work.

Hi Donna, we use a system that was built by us the owner of the company comes from the software industry and his partners own a software consulting firm. Before he ever thought of opening a brokerage advance 2000 designed 5 or 6 software programs for brokerages each one tailor made. When Dennis saw the lack of technology he decided to launch his own system and brokerage. It has gone very well and in three years we went from 0 to a multi multi million dollar brokerage mostly due to the advantages we have in technology. So my advice is check out dr dispatch it is popular and from what I hear very affordable or contact advance 2000 and have them set you up with a system for your needs.

92 months ago

Scott Williams in New Holland, Illinois said: DR.Dispatch is JUNK. It is overpriced for the applications provided and also is very unsecure. .

Like I said we have a in-house development team and IT team so I dont use any other system but LDIfreight I heard from a few people that they used dr dispatch and is was easy outside of that I SUGGEST get one built to your needs (i.e. advance 2000 or that rentacoder or even better yet see if your local college has a program that students can do it for free to get credits for a class) anyhow Donna hope your brokerage side becomes successful for you a bit different then hotshot but stay at it and you will get to where you want.

ARNOLD in Houston, Texas

92 months ago

Jacob w/Logistic Dynamics in Buffalo, New York said: Melissa My company doesnt work with people who dont have experience but we found a e-book that we fell is very good and all thou we dont make people agents that buy it we feel it is the best bang for your buck at $97 it contains all the info you need to understand the biz now you should still get exp as a dispatcher or sales rep or operations person before starting out but the book is great email me and i will send you the link it will get deleted in here

IS IT POSIBLE FOR ME TO GET THAT LINK TOO, THANKS

92 months ago

ARNOLD in Houston, Texas said: IS IT POSIBLE FOR ME TO GET THAT LINK TOO, THANKS

here is the link www.freightbrokerbiz.com the web page is called freightbrokerbiz it gives you a little over view on the book then gives the option to buy it. Once again I want everyone who reads this to know two things this book is not written by me or Logistic dynamics or any person involved with us, buying it does not get you a position in our company or as a freight broker agent. The owner and I along with a few others feel that is e-book gives a lot of information and a great base on freight brokering and for a hundred dollars contains the same info as many brokering schools.

ssharp in Denton, Texas

92 months ago

Jeff in Keller, Texas said: So your a Broker?

I am an agent and trainer and a company President of one of those schools. Brokers recruit our graduates, or people open Brokerages.

I believe we can only do so much in a week or two so the more
the broker continues to train the agent, the more likely each will proser. I teach my brokers to treat your agents like customers. These graduates are willing to make 50 calls a day,
wait 6 Months before making any real money and work straight commission. Every students is told the cold hard facts.
The ones that do come in for training get about a 3 year learning curve but only they can put that knowledge to use.

Good Look in your Brokerage and your training program.

Thanks for responding - Sounds like your doing great!

JR

Jeff I live in North Ft. Worth and am looking to become an agent. Could you contanct me.

ssharp7254@yahoo.com in Denton, Texas

92 months ago

I'd like to talk with Jeff in Keller

Audrey (Host) in Austin, Texas

92 months ago

Thank you.

92 months ago

This is a very interesting, on going conversation. It has brought to light alot of truths in the brokerage business. I need to find a broker that would be willing to work with a newbee, but a go getter. What are your suggestions?

92 months ago

Jeff in Keller, Texas said: Just check out the TIA web site and you will find postings for freight broker agents. 25-30 last time I looked.

Or look at Monster or the other job and career web sites.
This is a great time to get into the business.

Contact me directly through my name.

julio cesar in Calverton, Virginia

92 months ago

Jacob w/Logistic Dynamics in Buffalo, New York said: Melissa My company doesnt work with people who dont have experience but we found a e-book that we fell is very good and all thou we dont make people agents that buy it we feel it is the best bang for your buck at $97 it contains all the info you need to understand the biz now you should still get exp as a dispatcher or sales rep or operations person before starting out but the book is great email me and i will send you the link it will get deleted in here

hello i have a samll businees of truck but u know is very sow at this time ...i would like to learn more about the broker carrer please ais there any way that i can start and read more about laws, forms etc.....and start to work professional way ....please i'll appreciate your help.
thank you
julio cesar'

True South Financial Group in Greer, South Carolina

92 months ago

If you need help with meeting the FMCSA bond requirements contact our company we cand help. We are licensed to file the BMC-85 Trust Agreements. We have programs available for any type of credit. Contact

Vincent Vega Fontana,CA in Fontana, California

92 months ago

Sunny in Elk Grove, California said: Yes i am interested in starting freight broker business help me out

I got my dad and 3 to 4 more drivers who are looking for work. They have there own trucks but need someone to send them out and that's where I come in. I would like to be there broker but I really dont know who to start. If you'd like you can email me at [Edited by Host] Contact info deleted

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

maria in Rochester, New York

92 months ago

I am one of jeff's students, this course on line is very good and I am sure all the students from this kind of courses will be successfull in this job, we need experience, but we need the opportunity to work and prove that we are trusty and responsible workers. if everybody is looking for experienced agents, then it won't be any chance for the ones that are just graduating, there is a lot of potential out there, and we are willing to work hard, just give us the chance to prove how good we could be

maria m in Rochester, New York

92 months ago

Vincent Vega Fontana,CA in Fontana, California said: I got my dad and 3 to 4 more drivers who are looking for work. They have there own trucks but need someone to send them out and that's where I come in. I would like to be there broker but I really dont know who to start. If you'd like you can email me at [Edited by Host] Contact info deleted

vicent do you want to be a freight broker or an agen? because I know an independent trucker company in california that hire independent trukers, you can look in te internet for independent trucker companies in california and you will find the site, they speaks english and spanish

92 months ago

maria in Rochester, New York said: ...we need experience,... if everybody is looking for experienced agents, then it won't be any chance for the ones that are just graduating, ..., and we are willing to work hard, just give us the chance to prove how good we could be

Maria I agree with a few points you have
1- A lot of people that take those classes can be successful but when you said "we need experience" you were right on. most good franchise in this country have the people that want to buy one work at it first for a cretin amount of time that way they know what their getting into and have the EXP to deal with situations.

2- There is not a lot of opportunities for people that graduate those classes, not because there isnt the freight out there for them but when a company looks to bring an agent on they are going to spend X amount of dollars in recruiting, setup and support and they need to know that they will get a return on the time and money. What are the chances of someone making them that return if they have no customer base, no exp, no capital to make 3-6 months until they have a small book, and worst yet is the motivation to get their teeth knocked in for more then a few weeks before they throw the towel in. I have been in sales recruiting and management for 10 years now and the one thing I tell you is a lot more people will under perform and blame other things and give up then will bite the bullet know that only they can get themselves to their goal and fight and fight until they reach it.

Just my opinion. If you have the TRUE determination then you will be successful regardless of what most brokerages want.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Keller, Texas

92 months ago

He is doing real well. This is the bottom line. Training of any kind is helpful. The only thing worse than training your people and they leave is not training them and they stay.

Bottom line - you never graduate from learning. This business
is so fluid, it changes daily just like capacity. Training provides a great foundation. A road map if you will.

The United States of America is my largest customer. I train
Veterans who need to work from home and they all say the same thing. All they do in the military is train every day all day.

So when they are called upon and sent off on a mission they
are prepared. Same goes for your career. I can assure you I want the doctor operating on my kids to be well trained. Your shippers and your carriers want you to be trained.

This is not a get rich quick business and I can tell you for sure that is hard work and you must be fearless. Training will
not work if you don't work.

I am thankful for people like Doug that will give new agents a
start. He continues the training. If your a broker -treat your agents like customers. That is what he does and he had 75
loads on the boards last time we talked. Good job Doug.
I think Doug has been in the business for about 15 months.
Not bad!

JULIO PEREZ in Gainesville, Virginia

92 months ago

I WOULD LIKE TO BE A BROKER I HAVE MY OWN CO. AND I WOULD LIKET TO START THIS JOB ON SITE OF MY ....I'LL APPRECIATE IF U CAN GIVE AN OPPORTUNITY TO GET INTO THIS BUSINESS.
THANK YOU

92 months ago

I would like Jeff in Keller to contact me directly. What is the name of your company?

maria m in Rochester, New York

92 months ago

Doug in Webster, New York said: I am a freight broker who actually graduated from a school (Brooke), and I'm doing quite well with a fair amount of agents. Maria, I would be interested in talking to you about being an agent if you are interested.

sure Doug, it will be a pleasure to talk to you and work w/you, if you are interested, as I learned it will take at least 6 months to see some resutls I expect to get results in less time. I had a good instructor Jeff, the rest denpend on me. you know how to reach me, right now my telephone is disconnected, it will be reconnecting next monday due to I tried to change to an other company and it was disconnected by mistake but it will be reconnected and I will contact you or you can contact me.

Jenny Champagne in Lockport, Louisiana

92 months ago

Hello..I have 8-yrs of otr experience w/18-wheelers.My ex-husband & I drove both as company,as well as owner-operators.
I am now off of the road & my boyfriend & I are looking into freight brokerage.Plz send me some info on what I need to get started. Thank You~~~Jenny C.

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.