Where the freight is moving right now!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Nancy in Savona in Savona, New York

18 months ago

Scott did not mention one thing. The CA compliance for trucks going in or out. You better make damn sure that your trucks have the compliance page for the emissions control act. ANY broker form ANY company in ANY state, or ANY truck going in or out of CA from now better make sure the truck is compliant. If you live in ANY state and you have a truck going into CA, if you don't make sure he is compliant, you will be fined. The trucking company MUST have the paper that says he has done the testing and is compliant.

This is not a joke at all. The truck can be detained at the border, his product confiscated and the brokerage house that hired him will be fined heavily. It is going to cause a huge ruckus for quite a while until people realize CA is serious about this. We will not be doing CA freight until everything is ironed out. It is just to risky and we will not put our Brokerage at risk for cheap produce.

Every one that is in the freight industry knows about CA produce, it is cut throat and cheap. The trucks know EXACTLY what the rates are and you finagle around all day trying to find a truck to make a couple hundred bucks if you are lucky. There are huge brokerage houses that have most of it tied up anyway. Go find freight that is easier to move and you can actually make some money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

mkroemer in Casper, Wyoming

18 months ago

CA produce is harder to move in the winter because the bigger broker houses do have the major companies locked up; like Nancy stated. Unless you have direct contact and made some good relationships with these guys you are not going to get anything. I have learned that it is easier to work with the guys on the East Coast. True I must be up at 5 am or be kinda of awake to get anything done but it is worth it. Also, some of those East Coast boys move freight from the west across country and that is where you make your money in produce during the winter time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

mkroemer in Casper, Wyoming

18 months ago

A lot of the food chain stores don't like to handle looking for their own trucks Most the sellers will take care of that as well. I wouldn't waste my time talking to the chain stores. The only time these guys really bother with it is if the price of the fruit is too high. Working with volatile stuff when you are a newbie is not wise. Leave that stuff to the experts. There is more to it than what you think. If the truck screws up then you could be out of money in the upper thousands of dollars. I recommend doing watermelon, apples, citrus and mixed vegs; anything that runs from 38 to 45 degrees on a reefer. The likely hood of the truck screwing up is lower and these things have a variance in temperature so if their unit is off; you more than likely won't experience a claim. Remember; there is a fee to get into all the markets. Let the truck know these so the driver as cash on hand otherwise that money is coming off of you freight. The cost isn't much ranging from $10 to $20 depending on the market.

Just a little insight. Produce can be fun if you know what you are doing or it can become your worst nightmare. Just stay wise and remember your temperatures.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.