What are typical freight agent broker salaries?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 879)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

paybills in Osawatomie, Kansas

83 months ago

Bill Loza in San Diego, California said: Hi Sedrick, I am looking for agents to work from their own home/office.

please contact me about becoming an agent for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Steve in Frisco, Texas

83 months ago

Good afternoon,
Going back on the agent salaries. It all depends on what you put into it, is what your going to get out of it. If you believe you can achieve anything, then You'll do fine. I have been with Gold Leaf Enterprises Inc,now for 8 months and honestly I am doing quite well for myself. I have been making more each week then I ever did in a month in the corporate world. I will let you this business is not a quick fix though , I had to devote a lot time and effort. I never dreamed I would be moving 20 plus loads a week,
Steve Herman
Gold Leaf Enterprises Inc

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Worcester, Massachusetts

82 months ago

Steve,

Its encouraging hearing someone relatively new is able to break into this business. I, however, have been having a hard time for the past few months. Calling numerous shippers with little-to-no success. Any tips or words of advice you could offer?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mike Bravo in Austin, Texas

82 months ago

Does anyone know a broker in Austin who is looking to hire agents. I currently work for a broker working out of my own home but I rather work for a broker inhouse. I'm still a new agent and do not have a book of business.

mike vereen

82 months ago

for any one who is intrested i am currently looking to hire agents, offering a competitive split, please e mail me for details gulfstreamlogistics@yahoo.com

Mr Broker in Chicago, Illinois

82 months ago

People, this is a relationship building business. You don't make a fortune by calling a few shippers. You make your residual by nurturing your contacts and building new ones.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Terri in Wisconsin

82 months ago

What type of issues would prevent someone from being bonded, in order to receive a brokers license?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

BILL in Greensboro, North Carolina

82 months ago

sue in Houston, Texas said: Anyone looking to train for dispatch, check callers or willing to give me a chance.

PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO GET INTOUCH WITH THAT COMPANY,

Mr Broker in Chicago, Illinois

82 months ago

Terri in Wisconsin said: What type of issues would prevent someone from being bonded, in order to receive a brokers license?[/QUOTE

At this time, it seems like nothing. There are a bunch of crooks and brokers who scam trucks by not paying them. There are brokers who feel like they do not need to pay the truck if they do not get paid. That is not right.

bstamps in Greensboro, North Carolina

82 months ago

Travis in Whitehall, Wisconsin said: we hire new agents with or with out experence,but transportation experence is helpful. our pay scale for new agents is 65/35. look on my profile for email and phone number.

I am a registered nurse looking for a new career//please contact me

Enricco in Conyers, Georgia

82 months ago

bob in Urbana, Ohio said: WOW a lot of mis information in this forum ...Wish I could help some of you . before you pay to go to any school payout any money find out are you bondable......you need a 10,000 bond to be a broker ...ask around call bonding agents should be your frist step....2. can you support yourself for 6 mo without a pay check.......3 find a broker in your home town befor you pay for a school you will need to move about 30,000 gross in freight to break even ...that is a lot of loads...I am reading some of your post with tears in my eyes ...wow

Regarding your response, I'm in the process of completing #1, I should be able to handle supporting my family for 6 months and I am outside the 285 belt in Atlanta and looking to get the "hands on" experience needed as a broker/agent before opening my company. Any suggestions/leads?

Ryan Gruhn in Ames, Iowa

82 months ago

Something that never seems to get mentioned when people are thinking about the startup costs as a new broker... Are you as a potential broker financially able to pay your carriers before you get paid by your shippers? Carriers WILL NOT work with you as a new broker if you don't pay your bills on time. Even if you pay your carriers inside of 30 days, some carriers will still require payment in advance from some brokers to accept a load you have available. Some carriers have strict policies about not working with ANY brokers that haven't been in business with a spotless payables record for a year.

I suggest you do the math if you are thinking about starting a brokerage. If as a new broker you were fortunate enough to be moving $2000 gross in loads per day and on average paying carriers $1800 for these loads, in a month with 20 business days you will accumulate $36,000 in payables that you will need to pay inside of 30 days while you have $40,000 in receivables that you might not receive for 45 days or possibly more in many cases. You will have to pay $36,000 in payable two weeks or more before you might get all of your receivables. (Good luck trying to get all of your shippers to pay inside of 30 days, it isn't likely to happen.)

Unfortunately, many people who open a brokerage don't take this into consideration and get into the business if they can scrape together the $10k for a bond. In reality, it isn't unusual for even small brokerages to have over $50,000 in receivables that they are waiting on. There are factoring companies that will finance your receivables, but factoring will eat up at least half of your potential profit. In the example I used previously, $40,000 - $36,000 - 5% factoring fees = $2000 or less in profit. That is a lot of work and a lot of risk for $2000, especially after Uncle Sam gets his cut.

My apologies if I rambled on to much. It is just unfortunate that some people get into this business as brokers and fail because they h

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Ryan Gruhn in Ames, Iowa

82 months ago

I suggest you do the math if you are thinking about starting a brokerage. If as a new broker you were fortunate enough to be moving $2000 gross in loads per day and on average paying carriers $1800 for these loads, in a month with 20 business days you will accumulate $36,000 in payables that you will need to pay inside of 30 days while you have $40,000 in receivables that you might not receive for 45 days or possibly more in many cases. You will have to pay $36,000 in payable two weeks or more before you might get all of your receivables. (Good luck trying to get all of your shippers to pay inside of 30 days, it isn't likely to happen.)

Unfortunately, many people who open a brokerage don't take this into consideration and get into the business if they can scrape together the $10k for a bond. In reality, it isn't unusual for even small brokerages to have over $50,000 in receivables that they are waiting on. There are factoring companies that will finance your receivables, but factoring will eat up at least half of your potential profit. In the example I used previously, $40,000 - $36,000 - 5% factoring fees = $2000 or less in profit. That is a lot of work and a lot of risk for $2000, especially after Uncle Sam gets his cut.

My apologies if I rambled on to much. It is just unfortunate that some people get into this business as brokers and fail because they haven’t considered this aspect.

Best regards,
Ryan

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Steve in South Royalton, Vermont

82 months ago

I too have been interested in becoming a broker, currently I'm an owner/operator, but have had my eye on also becoming a broker. I see alot of chat on both sides about how much one can make in this field, but let me tell you what I've found as a carrier...most carriers are looking to LINK up with a broker or two, we get tired of having to continually search and lose time and money looking for freight, and it seems once the load is delivered, so ends any relationship..after awhile you get the hint that it's really "every man for himself" I've personally delivered loads, called in an "it's all finished", got off the phone, only to see another load in the area from the same broker, and I ask myself.."why didn't they say they had another load close by?" I pride myself on getting all loads picked up on time and delivered before or on time, that's my goal for my company, because I want to establish a good relationship with my brokers, not just a "one-run and thank you, see ya" relationship..And I'll tell you what turns trucking companies off, it's rude and deceiving brokers, whether it's about the load, how they talk to you on the phone, or just plain carelessness about the load in general (ie: sitting there all weekend waiting to pick up a load because the broker gave you the wrong pickup number and you cant reach them until Monday)....if you're going to get into this business, you need to be committed, not a 7-5 thing..after awhile, your brokerage will be weaned from the trucking companies preferred list, just as you'll do with certain trucking companies, it works both ways...Of course, alot of it is about money, for everyone...but money is not ALL..I run for not the best paying brokerages (because some need a few lessons in professionalism), but ones that are fair and reasonable, I can tell they're trying to be fair and they're professional while doing it..those are the brokers most of us look to run for. Know your freight,know your carriers,and you'll go far

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No Reply - Report abuse

mike in Hillsdale, Kansas

82 months ago

very well said, as I all walks of life.

Jen-Ai Morgan in Fort Worth, Texas

81 months ago

To Steve in VT: Where do you like to run and what sort of equipment do you have? My contact info is on my profile here, if you have the time - shoot me an email with your details.

As an agent, I can tell you I would much rather talk to a nice honest driver than talk to a shipper who just wants the cheapest deal and will sell out on me for $20. But just like you I have seen my fair share of dishonest people in the business. I have had drivers just not answer the phone after signing a confirmation - leaving me hanging. I've had drivers with an 8AM load tell me they were 5 minutes away when in fact they were still in bed :). Most drivers dont remember to call me when they have dropped off my load just to give me the "all clear". Still, I have had some really good gab sessions with some really nice people all over the 48 (thanks to unlimited long distance plans) and think that drivers are a special bread. I blame the issues on the same independent trates that make them qualified and willing to do the work.
Good luck and drive safe out there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DENISE in Bordentown, New Jersey

81 months ago

BigMACK in Cornelius, North Carolina said: I have a list of companies that pay between 60/40 and 75/25. The higher end being the brokers commission.

I have heard about some brokers making between 20 and 40k per year and I have also heard of brokers making over 100k per year. These are independent brokers that do not rev share with any firm. They just contract themselves to a major trucking company and earn a percentage of every load they cover with a carrier.

HI BIG MACK. HAVE A QUESTION FOR U. CAN U EMAIL ME AT deniser327@yahoo.com please

Shana in Fuquay Varina, North Carolina

81 months ago

I'm interested in learning how to become a GREAT Freight broker...
Can someone please email me? COntact info: Shananosal@hotmail.com.
- I have a BA in Human Resource Mgmt, 5 years construction exp. and looking for a career change.
Thanking you all,
Shana

Jacob w/Logistic Dynamics in Buffalo, New York said: I agree somewhat with every one here. I hire and recruit freight broker/agents and currently out of 11 broker agents we have 2 making 20-30 thousand each month 7 doing 4-8 thousand a month and 2 doing 500-2 thousand the difference between them is - DRIVE - ABILITY TO TALK TO SHIPPERS - CONTACTS IN THE INDUSTRY - TAKING ONLY GOOD FREIGHT - too many brokers should change their name to jokers because the spend most of their time covering bad loads ex- low margin, too many pics or drops, high claim customers, and so forth. Find a niche in the industry become an expert in a feild of generalist and you will have a deep customer book not dependant on any one customer. 50k + if a decent broker 100k + if a great broker

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

anne-marie in Macomb, Michigan

81 months ago

The Freight Trainer in New Holland, Illinois said: It is all commission based unless you are an earner. I pay one of my top guys who runs my room the following $30K base , 10% override on the room he manages and 65% of his own paper.

You will have some agents out there making 175,000 - 300,000 yearly. Most will make 45K on average.

Hi I have no experience in this business but i would love to start..what do i have to do to be an agent. I am a morgage loan officer, and would like to change and became an agent.
I have friends that work as truck drivers...and i am very good with people.Please give me an aswer.
anne-marie
thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Shana in Fuquay Varina, North Carolina

81 months ago

Thank you for all of your feedback! I look forward to entering in the wonderful world of logistics!!!!!

Sea Mist in Sacramento, California

81 months ago

Hi Big Mac -
Can you please contact me at the email listed in my profile?
Thanks

Baffeled in Hillsdale, Kansas

81 months ago

Once again someone I have never heard of asked for info on this forum from someone no one has heard of, is there a sidebar for private conversation and we as readers only get part of. Forum CSI!!!!!!!!

Tameka in Birmingham, Alabama

81 months ago

jacob_w-logisticdynamics in Buffalo, New York said: i posted the training packet info i got from tatijana on google base i cut and pasted it and have attached the orginal. here is the url www.google.com/base/a/1565668/D5269978168282327542
this is my last posting i wish every one the best of luck and know 5 years ago LDI was one man (not me ;) ) and 200K$ now it is a 20 million dollar brokerage and have doubled or tripled every year and the owner had no previous transportation exp. SO IT CAN BE DONE.

I went to that link and it said it is no longer posted can you email it to me? I a very interested in becoming an agent. No one is willing to give you the opportunity to learn. So my question is how will you learn it you don't have a chance? If it is not a problem can you email me the link (lightbrown827@yahoo.com) I am very interested in learning the business. I have dispatched LTL before and want to become an agent, if not an agent do you know of any one that is willing to take on a dispatcher to work from home?

Troy in Sicklerville, New Jersey

81 months ago

I have 13yrs in the transportation business and just completed Shippers Carriers training program,I have a home base office and
looking to become an agent.

B. in Melbourne, Florida

81 months ago

Where did you receive your training from?

Shawn in Arlington, Texas

81 months ago

I see allot of discussion here and when I read most of it I see that 95% are all going on the wrong directions. # 1 You newbies that are misinterpreted by allot of the idiots who don't know know anything or have any clue about the Brokerage Industry. # 2 Again the newbies thinks that they will make a big difference from home offices. So what if you have Home office 1 computer printer & fax etc. That's not the point that once you completed the course now you are a freight broker or agent that will make great income. In a way it cant be done but it will take a good agent minimum of 2-3 to get establish and most of don't even make it past the 6 months mark because financially they cant afford to work and not make any money. Most broker will offer you 50/50 , 60/40/, 40/60 but it will take you long time to get there. First able you need to ask you self few questions. #1 Are you Financially Capable for at least 6-12 Months if you don't make that income. Do you have good contacts where you can good paying freight not cheap freight but good paying. #2. Can you work 60 ++ Hours per week. Its not that easy then you think Anyone can become a broker but how many of them really make it past the 6 months mark not too many. Because you have to have some pretty good common sense to know are ahead of you if you were to become an agent or broker. Don't waist your money paying some dick head to teach you for few hours or one week in some stupid Classroom that you will think now that you attended the class you are all ready to become a broker agent Etc. I have been in the transportation for the past 14 years and still learning this venture and I think its getting out of control that too many new brokers come to this business but not know what the fuel cost are how expensive it is to a run a truck and what the Drive go though everyday to make that truck payment or insurance payment. Not to mention other expense that are related to this industry. GOOD LUCK WWW.ARYANTRANSPORT.COM

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

mike in Hillsdale, Kansas

80 months ago

many thanks for your info and thoughts. WHAT ARE THE MONEY MAKING LOADS? I am dead serioius, even though I am a newbee I do not think that education in our biz is better than experience, but it can't hurt (I DID NOT TAKE COURSE) realality is still going to set in, even for us idiots. My bubble of easy has been burst but I am on split and can not split unless i move even the worst loads, 50 percent of nothing is nothing, 50 percent of $125 is something times somany a day. I am learning from you and others that use this forume, please advise where the good loads are.

Troy in Cedar Brook, New Jersey

80 months ago

B. in Melbourne, Florida said: Where did you receive your training from?

I received my training from ShippersCarriers.com in Barnsville GA.

Drew in Chicago, Illinois

80 months ago

Troy in cedar brook: how would you rate your training from shipperscarriers.com.. I was thinking of taking her class..she seems very professional..

80 months ago

Drew in Chicago, Illinois said: Troy in cedar brook: how would you rate your training from shipperscarriers.com.. I was thinking of taking her class..she seems very professional..

Drew I really enjoyed taking the ShippersCarriers course, it allowed me to sit down one on one and ask all the questions I needed to know.I wanted to learn the basics of a broker-agent before I aplied for a agent job.ShippersCarriers.com=10

Sea Mist in Sacramento, California

80 months ago

Troy in Sicklerville, New Jersey said: I have 13yrs in the transportation business and just completed Shippers Carriers training program,I have a home base office and
looking to become an agent.

Hello Troy,
I am interested in speaking with you about becoming an agent.
My contact info is located in my profile.
Thank you.

80 months ago

Sea Mist in Sacramento, California said: Hello Troy,
I am interested in speaking with you about becoming an agent.
My contact info is located in my profile.
Thank you.

Sea Mist I am new to this forum please tell me how to get your profile.

donnie in Indianapolis, Indiana

80 months ago

Bill Loza in San Diego, California said: Hi Sedrick, I am looking for agents to work from their own home/office.

i am interested in becoming a broker agent working from home with my wife. i have been a driver for 3 years she drove for 2 years. do you train new agents or do you want them to have training before you hire them?

JEN in New Braunfels, Texas

80 months ago

Big Will in Waldwick, New Jersey said: Looking for new agents we will train. FREE.
wilcotrk@aol.com

DO YOU HAVE A WEBSITE? ANY INFORMATION ON WHOM YOU WORK FOR,THE LENGTH OF THE TRAINING, AND WHERE THE TRAINING IS?

Wilestransports in Missouri City, Texas

80 months ago

Im very interested in the brokerage training program that you provide. Please contact me either via email wilestransport@yahoo.com or call me @ 1-832-660-1965

Wilestransports in Missouri City, Texas

80 months ago

Im in the transporting business and need contacts here in Houston metro area. Email me @ wilestransports@yahoo.com

Tim Lovell in Plymouth, Massachusetts

80 months ago

Damion in Dallas, Texas said: Hello,

Firs Able what kind of freight are you trying to target. Dry vans, Reefers, Flatbed. ETC.
Do you have any experience in the Transportation field, meaning have you managed any accounts for other companies?. Have you you ever worked for anyone who where can you use some of that knowledge. What I'm trying to say here is that if you never worked or held any position in the past, and jumped in to this field without knowing anything it will be a difficult road for you ahead.

Do you have your own brokerage license or working for someone?.

Where are you located......What City & State... I maybe be able to you use your service if you live in the right area.

I'm sure you have been to our website we Transport Automobiles in the US, and International. By Land, By Sea, By Air.

Give me a call sometime I can discuss few things with you if you prefer I don't really don't have too much time now to type here.

Visit Our website for further more details. www.aryantransport.com
www.shipautomobile.com

Have a bless day Steve.

Damion

972-636-1664

Hi Damion

I am intrested in becoming a broker, but be for I jumped in I thought I would get some experience I now drive for a enclosed car carrier co. and have done very well in a short time. I am now working on getting enough revenue up for bond, linc, authority ect... Its hard to do this while on the road . any other suggestions. should I work as an agent

Thanks
Tim

Jack in Woburn, Massachusetts

80 months ago

I'm wondering if the freight broker ever fires the freight agent and takes over his accounts?

Tim Lovell in Plymouth, Massachusetts

80 months ago

Hi Shawn

I drive for an inclosed car transporter now and have been trying to learn and get into brokering.I need some more info on your co. before I would think about buying it.
Can you send me info at Lovelltlov@aol.com
1. volume of business
2. some dollar and cents info
3. Location you work out of
ect.

Thanks
Tim

Sydney Ann Adams

78 months ago

Ryan Gruhn in Ames, Iowa said: I suggest you do the math if you are thinking about starting a brokerage. If as a new broker you were fortunate enough to be moving $2000 gross in loads per day and on average paying carriers $1800 for these loads, in a month with 20 business days you will accumulate $36,000 in payables that you will need to pay inside of 30 days while you have $40,000 in receivables that you might not receive for 45 days or possibly more in many cases. You will have to pay $36,000 in payable two weeks or more before you might get all of your receivables. (Good luck trying to get all of your shippers to pay inside of 30 days, it isn't likely to happen.)

My apologies if I rambled on to much. It is just unfortunate that some people get into this business as brokers and fail because they haven’t considered this aspect.

Best regards,
Ryan

I plan to become a broker in the near future and
I have thefunds to pay a carrier after delivery has been confirmed but I never pay before the run is done. So, if i'm clear on what you are saying a carrier will not take a load because I have no history. If put their payment in escrow first would that win their trust?

tr in Laurel, Maryland

75 months ago

i'm a driver for one of the biggest freight companies out there i've been driving for 6 years and been around the transportation industry all my life. i'm looking to become a broker any suggestions on how to get started and how to build a book

Mary in Gadsden, Alabama

75 months ago

Bill Loza in San Diego, California said: Hi Kyle, what is your e-mail address?

Hi Bill, I am interested in becoming a Freight Broker. Can you send me some info? I have 10 years in trucking and freight brokering. I am currently working for a business that does both. This business is small and family owned. I am just ready to go on my own and work from home and possible grow big enough to have to have an outside office from home. I have alot of experience and knowledge but I just need to know what I need to do to start and get it going. Anything you could do to help would be greatly appreciated.

Mary in Gadsden, Alabama

75 months ago

I agree w/ Shawn from TX to a point. There is alot of newbee brokers that are cheating trucklines and owner/operators out of money for loads that they haul just because their customer hasn't paid them. I work for a trucking/brokerage company right now and I am going through that same thing. Having to try to collect past dues, that is bull. But, you have to think about it, in any profession you have the good and you have the bad. That's when you just have to be as prepared as you can.

Tammi in Birmingham, Alabama

75 months ago

Wendy T said: Mary are you looking to become an agent or do you want to start right out as a broker?

I would like to become an agent, can you tell me the tricks to negotiating. That is the what I feel like I will have problems with. You can email me at lightbrown827@yahoo.com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

carla barnes kansas in Wichita, Kansas

75 months ago

Well I just got taken again. I can't believe my luck. I was working for a new broker and was primarily sales. I was to search daily for reputable leads. I did this relentlessly. Was only paid once and now am owed money for last week. Beware of L&F Freight out of MS. I did my part. Anyone needing sales, please call or e-mail me. I know the business but I have seemingly made some bad decisions in trusting some certain people. My leads are ones that will actually move freight with the company I pair them up with. I will work hard for you. My shippers can attest to that.
Thanks and hope to hear from someone soon before I starve....LOL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Wyatt in Stockbridge, Georgia

75 months ago

Carla, are you qualifying the leeds before they are presented to your broker clients? Are you charging a flat rate for each lead or just when sales are realized. How would you even track that? I've been thinking of hiring someone in house to just sell, sell, sell. I already have people that can do the office tasks and move the freight. Many people want agents to handle the accounts they sell and that's okay, but if you find a real go-getter, their time would be best spent opening new doors. I can always find someone to fax packets back and forth.

MARY in Jackson, Tennessee

75 months ago

My husband and I have just started our own brokerage. We have both been working for my fathers trucking company for years and decided it was time to branch out. We are in search of good, honest and hardworking agents.

Tameka in Tuscaloosa, Alabama

74 months ago

will you give me th opportunity to work for you. i want to become an agent, i have been training for a company and not getting the right training. so will you please give me a chance lightbrown827@yahoo.com or give me your email or phone to call you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

KS1999 in Raleigh, North Carolina

74 months ago

MARY in Jackson, Tennessee said: My husband and I have just started our own brokerage. We have both been working for my fathers trucking company for years and decided it was time to branch out. We are in search of good, honest and hardworking agents.

I am interested in you brokerage firm. I do not have the current expereince but I am willing to learn.

MS3G in Arlington, Texas

74 months ago

i am interested in becoming an agent for you i have no training but this is something i am trying to start and yes i am a honest person and i really pray you are to

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.