What are typical freight agent broker salaries?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 200 of 831)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

Felicia Houston in Eros, Louisiana

67 months ago

what are you averaging now

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Stephens Transportation in Cathedral City, California

67 months ago

I had worked as an logistics analyst for 9 years and started corporate brokering after that for 5 years.
That is where i mad all of my contacts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sydney Adams in Shreveport, Louisiana

67 months ago

Keep at it, the award for all your hard work will come. I've been at since June 2008 and it's been hard but it's paying off.

67 months ago

Cold calls, try getting on spot bid lists and build from that.

LindaHelp4free in White Post, Virginia

67 months ago

Hey guys for what it is worth...please do not PAY for training or spend any out of pocket money for any reason. YOU DON"T NEED TO, unless you are interested in being a Broker. There is no magical training to be an agent. Most companys that are truely interested in you as a perspective agent can do what they need to over the phone or are willing to come to you. You either have the drive and determination to succeed, customer base or contacts, and very thick skin or you don't. Don't be a number or a statistic at some company, be an individual with a name that demands respect. I have met and talked to people on this site. I actually just had a lady I met at my home office today. It was FREE, I did not try to sign her up, I simply gave her valuable information and advice that it took me years to learn through trial and error. Thats what I do educate people so they can make educated choices for themselves.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

ExodusLOGIC in College Park, Maryland

67 months ago

TO LINDA LINDAHELP4 FREE .Thank you very much for your instant reply. Yes our company is actually a trucking company and we seek contracts from big companies and brokers to move their freights but I have a keen interest in learning or getting the know-how of being a freight broker. I believe I can do that job and I know there are a lot of things one has to know. My biggest challenge is finding that first customer and I would like to know how people go about it. I think I am a very hard worker and I don’t even mind learning this trade and finding freight for your company with a minimum pay or no pay if I bring in clients. All I would like to achieve here is the experience. And it would be nice to work or study under someone with the experience and I totally agree with you that if you are making less than 40k in this business then you are not cut for this type of Job because this is a job with a lot of communication skills and making the client win your trust that you can do a good job for them. If you are interested in my proposal we can do something on a free time basics and with technology we can make it happen. Thank you very much

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

ash1505 in Commerce, Georgia

67 months ago

I applied to a very reputable company as an agent. After speaking with them they told me that you have 30 days to move 10-15 loads per week making 16% per load. I really think I will do really well as an agent. I have a lot of contacts and experience, but I am nervous about having a quota to meet. Are most brokering companies like that? I know I move a lot of loads making 10-12% does that make me a bad broker?

67 months ago

ExodusLOGIC in College Park, Maryland said: TO LINDA LINDAHELP4 FREE .Thank you very much for your instant reply. Yes our company is actually a trucking company and we seek contracts from big companies and brokers to move their freights but I have a keen interest in learning or getting the know-how of being a freight broker. I believe I can do that job and I know there are a lot of things one has to know. My biggest challenge is finding that first customer and I would like to know how people go about it. I think I am a very hard worker and I don’t even mind learning this trade and finding freight for your company with a minimum pay or no pay if I bring in clients. All I would like to achieve here is the experience. And it would be nice to work or study under someone with the experience and I totally agree with you that if you are making less than 40k in this business then you are not cut for this type of Job because this is a job with a lot of communication skills and making the client win your trust that you can do a good job for them. If you are interested in my proposal we can do something on a free time basics and with technology we can make it happen. Thank you very much

How may I get in touch with you?

67 months ago

ash1505 in Commerce, Georgia said: I applied to a very reputable company as an agent. After speaking with them they told me that you have 30 days to move 10-15 loads per week making 16% per load. I really think I will do really well as an agent. I have a lot of contacts and experience, but I am nervous about having a quota to meet. Are most brokering companies like that? I know I move a lot of loads making 10-12% does that make me a bad broker?

Most all companys have a quota. If you don't make your quota, then you simply pay them more money. The good companys take a flat percentage out of your gross volume. Actual example: Load pays $1500.00. Company(brokerage) takes 5% or 75.00. You(agent) have 1425.00 to work with. You pay the carrier what you want, hopefully a fair rate. I always believe in taking care of the carrier, and the rest is yours. You have to let your conscience be your guide as far as that goes. Just always be mindful of the fact, greed will bite you eventually. Without carriers on the road, you are out of a job!

67 months ago

You do realize that our company pays 50%, Dont cut yourself short!

67 months ago

50%?? Please do explain...

67 months ago

50% of all profits are split between agent and company.

67 months ago

Who decides what that is? No matter how you slice it, 50% sounds good, but in the end, its all in the numbers. With all due respect, I'm not sold.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Why would you take 16% of the over all profit off a load and give the rest to a company? So if profit is $100.oo on the load you only get 16% are you chit me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

LindaHelp4free in Crozier, Virginia

67 months ago

Sydney Adams in Shreveport, Louisiana said: Why would you take 16% of the over all profit off a load and give the rest to a company? So if profit is $100.oo on the load you only get 16% are you chit me.

Amen!! Or if you went with the other guys deal, you could make 50.00... :)I am so blessed to have the deal I have, I guarantee I have the best situation out there. Whether your a broker or an agent. I got involved in this forum for one reason, and ended up offer advice and info to the poor souls trying to get into this business, clueless and being taken advantage of by other people.

texasrunner in San Antonio, Texas

67 months ago

Jacob w/Logistic Dynamics in Buffalo, New York said: I agree somewhat with every one here. I hire and recruit freight broker/agents and currently out of 11 broker agents we have 2 making 20-30 thousand each month 7 doing 4-8 thousand a month and 2 doing 500-2 thousand the difference between them is - DRIVE - ABILITY TO TALK TO SHIPPERS - CONTACTS IN THE INDUSTRY - TAKING ONLY GOOD FREIGHT - too many brokers should change their name to jokers because the spend most of their time covering bad loads ex- low margin, too many pics or drops, high claim customers, and so forth. Find a niche in the industry become an expert in a feild of generalist and you will have a deep customer book not dependant on any one customer. 50k + if a decent broker 100k+ if a great broker

Can you email me I trying to learn about the trade. I have experience as a truck driver and logistics fields. info@tsfme.net

ash1505 in Commerce, Georgia

67 months ago

No no no.....the company offers a 60/40 split between the agent and the company. What I meant is that they expect the agent to profit at least 16% on every load they cover, and then he/she will receive 60% of that.

texasrunner in San Antonio, Texas

67 months ago

BigMACK in Cornelius, North Carolina said: I have a list of companies that pay between 60/40 and 75/25. The higher end being the brokers commission.

I have heard about some brokers making between 20 and 40k per year and I have also heard of brokers making over 100k per year. These are independent brokers that do not rev share with any firm. They just contract themselves to a major trucking company and earn a percentage of every load they cover with a carrier.

Can you email me I have some questions and am interested in becoming a freight agent. info@tsfme.net

Ed Peterson in Venetia, Pennsylvania

67 months ago

texasrunner in San Antonio, Texas said: Can you email me I have some questions and am interested in becoming a freight agent. info@tsfme.net

I've been following this forum and adding occasional comments about freight brokerage issues. Sometimes its hard to filter out the clutter but there are some intelligent comments and themes to review at times. I see so many people offering that they want to become brokers, and being that's what I do (recruit/train brokers) I end up speaking to many of them. Sometimes I just offer advice, other times I engage them on behalf of GT Worldwide Logistics (gtlogisticsllc.com). Many of them need training, and we offer a FREE training course that we hold in Dallas, the next one being 2/16 thru 2/26. We train them, evaluate them and sometimes hire them.. No guarantees, but then again, all at our expense. (Room and board are up to them). Others, who can't attend can still sign on with us, as long as they have at least a chance of success, based on experience, drive, customer following, etc. We help as much as we can. It's obviously in our best interest that you do well. Our comp package is as good as anybody's. If you would like to discuss, reply directly to me at ed.peterson@gtwli.com I will call you if you give me your phone number. Ed Peterson Director of Agent and Broker Recruiting. GT Worldwide Logistics.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

pepetrueno in Leesburg, Virginia

67 months ago

hi tts:
i would like to start in this business i have some experience in truking cause i was a owner ope; rator before driving my truck.
please some info and emialme at:hsee_usaadyahoodotcom.
i really want to learn more anout it
thank you
julio

Area 51 Trucking in Mission Viejo, California

67 months ago

GTI Sales in New York, New York said: Check out our profile and give me a call anytime, Let's see what and how we can help eachother

I'm a carrier, soon to get my brokering authority. Could someone please contact me regarding working this business as a broker/carrier? truckbuddy@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

TTT, I have been reading comments on these forums, and I think you last comment is the single most truthful and useful bit of information. Anyone interested in becoming a broker should read the comment and pay attention! I agree 200%

DC in Salt Lake City, Utah

67 months ago

There are a lot of options for you Sue. A company like mine would hire you as and Independent Agent and you would be able to work from anywhere you like. This would also save you all the expenses like a 10k surety bond, Ins. Cert. etc., and you would avoid the capital issue your asking about. If you are out on your own you would need a lot of capital to get you through the periods you have multiple invoices out trying up the funds you need to pay your carriers. Contact me if you are interested in more information and would like to start a lucrative in an industry with less than 10% of total market share accounted for.

67 months ago

Host said: Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

Yes and no. Some companies will offer you a lot more money but at the same time they dont have the skills or experience to deliever. There is a reason every industry has standards and if you find yourself getting far from the norms you may want to look deeper and see what the issue is. Solid companies will promise realistic results because they have put in the effort themselves and have their own name to put on the line. Within my company our top earner makes over 1.3million dollars and now has 5 employees. He was able to do this because he has the support of a company with over 80 years experience in the field. If you want a solid job or the training to start your own successful company please inquire. Don't substitute dependability for golden apples.

66 months ago

Julio,
I tried to send you an e-mail, but it was returned. Please send your e-mail address again. Thanks.

LULou in Clearwater, Florida

66 months ago

DC in Salt Lake City, Utah said: My program offers a 5 day training school with the OPTION at the end to sign on with us as an Agent. If you or anyone is interested in joining one of the top 15 brokerages in the nation without having to sign any contracts please contact me.

Cost?

66 months ago

LULou in Clearwater, Florida said: Cost?

If you are looking for schooling then you would have a tuition payment of $2500. Our class is taught in SLC, UT by the Executive members of England Logistics and C.R. England. If you are an experienced broker there is NO FEE and we are always open to resumes. For more information contact me directly at dustinc@crengland.com

samander in Jackson, Mississippi

66 months ago

DC in Salt Lake City, Utah said: There are a lot of options for you Sue. A company like mine would hire you as and Independent Agent and you would be able to work from anywhere you like. This would also save you all the expenses like a 10k surety bond, Ins. Cert. etc., and you would avoid the capital issue your asking about. If you are out on your own you would need a lot of capital to get you through the periods you have multiple invoices out trying up the funds you need to pay your carriers. Contact me if you are interested in more information and would like to start a lucrative in an industry with less than 10% of total market share accounted for.

...hi is this something that you can do with a fultime job? and can u take on agents with no experience?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

samander in Jackson, Mississippi said: ...hi is this something that you can do with a fultime job? and can u take on agents with no experience?

I would not recommend you doing it with a full time job although I know agents that do. Ideally it would be something you were looking to make your full time job. Some people have a job and slowly transition from one to the other, that is just personal choice and how much of a "career" you want to make of it.

We don't hire agents directly with no experience but we do offer a training course which at the end of you are given the OPTION to join our brokerage as an outside agent.

I am happy to help in any way I can, please let me know.

shananosal in Fayetteville, North Carolina

66 months ago

LindaHelp4free in White Post, Virginia said:

Linda,
May I request literature about freight brokering to be sent to me via snail mail?
THanks,
Your friend below state lines,
Shana Nosal
Fuquay Varina, NC

LindaHelp4free in Crozier, Virginia

66 months ago

Shana,
Are you asking if I can send you literature about freight brokering?? I offer advice and insight into getting into the business. I e-mail them and have phone conversations. You will not find the school of hard knocks, in literature. Right now, I highly recommend NOT getting in as a broker. I mostly talk with people and help them get better educated about the business in general, so that they know what kind of questions to ask, and can make better decidions about their future in the transportation industry. Most importantly I try to educate them enough, to keep them from getting ripped off or taken advantage of.

Ursula johnson in Olive Branch, Mississippi

66 months ago

Bill Loza in Rancho Santa Fe, California said: I recently became a Transportation Broker, and I am looking to hire some established agents. What would be the best way to go about this?

I am very interested in becoming a frieght broker. How do I get training and certified?

Mike in Paola, Kansas

66 months ago

The idea of having to work hard is always a key to reaching your goals, I wonder if the failure rate is due to lack of skills for this job mixed with how simple it is to get into? I am looking for help in form of what package most of you send out to quailfy carriers and shippers for payment. We have our brokers lic. but have not ever moved frieght(needed it for other transportation biz), we need in these times another steam of income. I do not want someone to do the work but give guidance and advice. I am sure training in a school would help but really think we have the skills just need some back up support and info.

Mike in Paola, Kansas

66 months ago

Easy, wait a minute, lets do the testing after I am in. LOL I did not want to take my CDL test, but because of testing I hope we are safer and now my worth as holder of a CDL is more because some will not take the test or will not pass.

Mike in Paola, Kansas

66 months ago

I forgot to thank you for web site advice, thanks and I am sure I will be in contact.

pepetrueno in Leesburg, Virginia

66 months ago

is there free trainning in virginia ?Please let me know.
thank you,julio

LindaHelp4free in Mineral, Virginia

65 months ago

CRE, you deserve a standing O!! Well put!

aro in Houston, Texas

65 months ago

How in the world do you get experience if no one will hire without prior experience????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Brad Sims in Dallas, Texas

65 months ago

If you like I founded out this isnt the place to get FREE help..lol
Take it for what its worth.....

Brad Sims in Dallas, Texas

65 months ago

Typo If you know like I know

Lance McDaniel in Rochester Hills, Michigan

65 months ago

Create a profile before telling others to contact you through your profile. If your name is NOT lite up in blue like a link (Like mine), you don't have a profile with your contact info.

I have read so much information on becoming an agent. Purchasing online PDF files, free sources from search engines (websites), I've skyped Brokers that emailed me free downloadable e-books to Finding even literature from training schools only paid students receive. Hey you don't know how to block google from spidering your website pages, I will find it.

I ate, slept and breathed owning my own corporation for 14 years. Currently a truck driver for 2 years now. I have been eating, sleeping and breathing on how to become an agent. Knowing every piece of equipment that can possibly haul freight to load boards and the science of calculating an exact quote to a new client.

I print everything and read it everywhere. Rather it's in my truck, eating dinner to sitting on the toilet. I have decided through encouraging words from some of you professionals not to pay for agent school. I've chosen the hands on path.

If anyone has some more great material. Please contact me through my profile. Just click on my highlighted blue name, I set up a profile here :)

BTW: I purchased ixltraining online book for $50 bucks also. He gives you your money's worth and actually replies to your emails. $50 bucks might be a lot to some here, but it didn't dent my wallet. Thanks!

I have some shippers here in Detroit willing to receive quotes from me. I plan on making Detroit my niche area. I'm not just going to work out of my office. I am excited to visit my shippers and drivers to create a more personal level of commitment.

Doug Schreck in Canton, Ohio

65 months ago

Lance,

I admire your commitment to the level of research that you have pursued. I have some training aids and information. If you would like to discuss this please contact me. My company hires frieght agents that are just starting to seasoned verterans. We have a team concept and agents from very diverse backgrounds. We are growing and expanding in areas other than truck load freight.

65 months ago

Doug Schreck in Canton, Ohio said: Lance,

I admire your commitment to the level of research that you have pursued. I have some training aids and information. If you would like to discuss this please contact me. My company hires frieght agents that are just starting to seasoned verterans. We have a team concept and agents from very diverse backgrounds. We are growing and expanding in areas other than truck load freight.

Very kind of you Doug. Going to your website now.

65 months ago

Let me know what you think. I would be happy to discuss this with you tomorrow.

65 months ago

Doug Schreck in Canton, Ohio said: Let me know what you think. I would be happy to discuss this with you tomorrow.

Thank you Doug. I filled out the contact form requesting your attention. At thhis point I do not have your Skype or e-mail.

65 months ago

doug@agslogisticsllc.com

sbj4225 in Norcross, Georgia

64 months ago

ash1505 in Commerce, Georgia said: No no no.....the company offers a 60/40 split between the agent and the company. What I meant is that they expect the agent to profit at least 16% on every load they cover, and then he/she will receive 60% of that.

Hi Ashh1505 My husband had a small trucking company and looking to work with agents and broker. I also, like to get in the business has an agent. my email address is smarie4225@aol.com

mitch2 in Spring Hill, Kansas

64 months ago

Lance, read on the toilet all you want, reading things that do not help be a agent only give you material to think about even if it does not help you be a agent, they(if true) are only facts. They could be helpful in being a interested truck driver or a knowledgeable agent, either experience or guidance will help you sort out how to fix your car or be an freight broker. I can not spell but I know that I can broker(it would be easier if I could spell), trust me a helping hand will help you work smart, sounds like you already have the passion but you need a purpose that will set in the right direction. Knowing how to build a small block engine will not help me broker unless I figure out how to get the parts to do this get to me in a truck that I got for the shipper. I know that they have to be shipped but the key is how do I broker that shipment. Knowing what kind of equipment it takes to move this freight is a small part of gaining a shippers confidence to let you move this freight. Get some help in working smart not just hard.

64 months ago

Mitch some folks explain things that can be taken many different ways. Your one of those folks. I don't exactly know how to take what you just said. But I will say all the educational material I have read online is now paying off. How else would you learn a new trade without studying first? I have already moved loads and established a client base. I went with the honest approach when I called my 1st few shippers. Told them who I was and what I had to offer. At the end of the conversation, everyone ask me for a quote. So far I'm batting 100% I gave these clients to the wrong broker I never heard from again. I am as of now with a broker just as a sales agent at 8%. Hey! It's a start.

I don't understand why some you explain this industry like you need an Einstein IQ in order to be a successful Broker/Agent. Maybe I've just been lucky or this comes natural to me. But so far what a piece of cake this has been.

Mitch I agree with your analogy on things, not busting your chops. Trust me I absorb everyone's advise like a sponge and run with it.

eager and capable in Spring Hill, Kansas

64 months ago

Lance please explian your 8%, I do not understand. Also I belive their are people on this forum able to expain how to keep your book and maintain your shippers no matter who you work for. Also I would like to hear from other as which board they use and how they feel about the different ones and which ones seem to have the most exposure.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.