What are typical freight agent broker salaries?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (201 to 250 of 820)
Page:  « First « Previous   2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next »   Last »

mitch2 in Spring Hill, Kansas

61 months ago

Lance, read on the toilet all you want, reading things that do not help be a agent only give you material to think about even if it does not help you be a agent, they(if true) are only facts. They could be helpful in being a interested truck driver or a knowledgeable agent, either experience or guidance will help you sort out how to fix your car or be an freight broker. I can not spell but I know that I can broker(it would be easier if I could spell), trust me a helping hand will help you work smart, sounds like you already have the passion but you need a purpose that will set in the right direction. Knowing how to build a small block engine will not help me broker unless I figure out how to get the parts to do this get to me in a truck that I got for the shipper. I know that they have to be shipped but the key is how do I broker that shipment. Knowing what kind of equipment it takes to move this freight is a small part of gaining a shippers confidence to let you move this freight. Get some help in working smart not just hard.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lance McDaniel in Rochester Hills, Michigan

61 months ago

Mitch some folks explain things that can be taken many different ways. Your one of those folks. I don't exactly know how to take what you just said. But I will say all the educational material I have read online is now paying off. How else would you learn a new trade without studying first? I have already moved loads and established a client base. I went with the honest approach when I called my 1st few shippers. Told them who I was and what I had to offer. At the end of the conversation, everyone ask me for a quote. So far I'm batting 100% I gave these clients to the wrong broker I never heard from again. I am as of now with a broker just as a sales agent at 8%. Hey! It's a start.

I don't understand why some you explain this industry like you need an Einstein IQ in order to be a successful Broker/Agent. Maybe I've just been lucky or this comes natural to me. But so far what a piece of cake this has been.

Mitch I agree with your analogy on things, not busting your chops. Trust me I absorb everyone's advise like a sponge and run with it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

eager and capable in Spring Hill, Kansas

61 months ago

Lance please explian your 8%, I do not understand. Also I belive their are people on this forum able to expain how to keep your book and maintain your shippers no matter who you work for. Also I would like to hear from other as which board they use and how they feel about the different ones and which ones seem to have the most exposure.

wolf43311 in Bellefontaine, Ohio

61 months ago

I agree completely. I have been in the "office" of several trucking companies over the years and nothing fires me up faster than seeing drivers treated poorly. They need the support from the broker. I tell you, you treat your drivers right, they will treat you right. You will have your base of go to drivers for he loads that are hard to get covered. And you get those loads covered and you up your standing with your shipper. It is hard work, but it is sooooo satisfying at the end of the day when a driver says thank you and the shipper says thank you!

sbj4225 in Lilburn, Georgia

61 months ago

anyone in the Atlanta area have any information how to get started has an agent.

catrett freight services in Ozark, Alabama

60 months ago

call 205area264prefix1733number that is my phone number only way to put it in.

mitch in Spring Hill, Kansas

60 months ago

Glad to see some activity on here. Agents what do you think about talking back and forth to help each other as support and networking then other new people can see the true side of this biz from lots of angles(in a positive way, not scamming).

Brian570 in Hamilton, Ohio

60 months ago

I am looking for someone/company to train me to be an agent and get off to a strong start. I have been a driver,dispatcher,and operations management for some large trucking companies.

Felicia Houston in Eros, Louisiana

60 months ago

I truly agree 100%, also exchange contact information also.

60 months ago

Wendy T said: Hello Brian Hamilton is close to Cincinnati isn't it? You sound like you would be an easy one to teach. The hardest to teach are the ones that don't know the lingo or what a driver is faced with. How are your computer skills?

I would say my computer skills are very good. I seem to always have my laptop on or my Blackberry in my hand researching something on the internet. I have used Microsoft Office at work and at home and used sever company proprietary programs through company mainframes.

60 months ago

Wendy T said: Hello Brian Hamilton is close to Cincinnati isn't it? You sound like you would be an easy one to teach. The hardest to teach are the ones that don't know the lingo or what a driver is faced with. How are your computer skills?

Oh and yes Hamilton is right outside Cincinnati.

60 months ago

Brian570 in Hamilton, Ohio said: I would say my computer skills are very good. I seem to always have my laptop on or my Blackberry in my hand researching something on the internet. I have used Microsoft Office at work and at home and used sever company proprietary programs through company mainframes.

Can you sell ice to an Eskimo?

60 months ago

Lance McDaniel in Rochester Hills, Michigan said: Can you sell ice to an Eskimo?

Well I sold new and used cars for about a year didn't have trouble selling the cars just had trouble getting people financed..lol

60 months ago

Wendy T said: Sounds like you have what it takes the good humor, transportation background, good computer skills, sales and the drive to find the answers you will make it I'm sure. I just wish I had the time to invest in you. I know you would be an asset to any brokerage. Make sure you investigate all brokers before you sign on. I'm in the middle of Ohio and you would work great as an agent if only...... but I will answer any questions you have and give you tips just email me. Good luck and God Bless

I want to thank you for the encouraging comments...Whats the if only? LOL

60 months ago

Wendy T said: If only the day had more hours in it. I just haven't been able to spare any time to build on my dreams of growing my brokerage. What does the 57 after your name stand for thats the yr I was born and I don't know if these old bones can keep going sometimes.

The 570 stands for may 1970 my birth date.

johnw762003 in Jacksonville, Florida

60 months ago

I'm currently working for a 3PL that specializes in door to door intermodal (that is our core competency along with some OTR and LTL). I have been offered a 30% split on business that I'm generating. There are no leads coming across my desk- just load boards, cold calling and fostering current relationships.

At this point in the game, I feel that the split is quite low, especailly compared to what I'm seeing out there. Can someone that is doing rail business provide some feedback on this split and also let me know if anyone is looking for a qualified agent that can hit the ground running.

Thanks!

John

Beach Kowboy in Ruskin, Florida

60 months ago

I am a shipper in the produce business here in Florida. I am looking to get into the freight brokering feild as well. I can get plent of loads if someone is willing to take me on as an agent and teach me the ropes. If you are willing to teach me, you will be happy you did. Send me an email to BeachKowboy73@yahoo.com if you are interested...

Sincerely,
Jeff

60 months ago

Ed I sent you an email- thanks for reaching out to me on this.

60 months ago

I am looking at a possible switch, I am posting loads everyday for all over the USA< CANADA,AND MEX. and I can not get trucks. Is it the load boards I use or what HELP!

Chris Garza in Hemet, California

60 months ago

mitch in Spring Hill, Kansas said: I am looking at a possible switch, I am posting loads everyday for all over the USA< CANADA,AND MEX. and I can not get trucks. Is it the load boards I use or what HELP!
WOW I guess I am not the only one having truck problems. There is nothing more disturbing than having loads and not having any truck to move them. I have talked to more and more carriers that are closing there doors. If there are trucks out there they are just not moving. I have a lot of loads coming out of Walterboro, SC going to Pa I have had them posted for over a week and I have only gotten one call on them. I use INTERNET TRUCK STOP and GETLOADED not to mention the 20,000 carriers that we have on file. It really seems like nobody is moving their trucks.

angel871 in Millen, Georgia

60 months ago

I want to be an agent. My husband and I both have cdl license so I understand it from a carriers perspcetive.

Sydney Adams in Shreveport, Louisiana

60 months ago

It maybe because you are new or maybe your rates are low or if your agent maybe the broker you working for may not have a good reputation with carriers. When I first started no carrier would touch me, so I had to COD a few loads. I hope this helps, Good luck Sydney

Sydney Adams in Shreveport, Louisiana

60 months ago

I have 3 loads form Jackson, MS to Laredo, TX and they been for 1 week. I had some carry requesting fuel advance , quick pay, comp checks, since we dont do any of that I could not move it, then I came across posteverywhere.com and post those loads and guess what I'm moving them. They have a trial run, it can hurt.
good luck

chris garza in Waterloo, Ontario

60 months ago

The broker I work for is one of the top brokers out there I know there rating is great. As for my rates they are some of the highest in the industry. I have noticed a big truck shortage and I am not the only one many other agents that I know have had the same problems.

chris in Waterloo, Ontario

60 months ago

Thanks for the info.

sbj4225 in Lilburn, Georgia

60 months ago

mitch in Spring Hill, Kansas said: I am looking at a possible switch, I am posting loads everyday for all over the USA< CANADA,AND MEX. and I can not get trucks. Is it the load boards I use or what HELP!

Hi Mitch,

what kind of loads are you looking to move and do you have any in georgia.

Felicia Houston in Eros, Louisiana

60 months ago

Please email me directly at fahouston74@yahoo.com. I have drivers who are great to work with and are flexible.

aro in Houston, Texas

60 months ago

I'm looking for a reliable carrier with refer units. Your help is greatly appreciated.

60 months ago

Josh Allen in Chicagoland, Illinois said: John, are you looking to join a company that is an IMC or a typical brokerage? If my company can't help you directly, I can surely point you in the right direction.

You can reach me through my profile/website, etc.

Josh

Josh,

I'm interested in working with a 3PL or IMC (in my current position, I work with a lot of other 3PL's to help convert truck over to rail). Can you please email me your contact information so we can chat in more detail? My email is johnw762003@yahoo.com.

Thanks and I look forward to speaking with you.

John

norsemen73 in Romeoville, Illinois

60 months ago

I'm going to start a Training Course for Freight Brokering thru a local Jr.College, After I complete it, how hard or easy is it to get hired thru a brokerage company?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

It is just like realestate, you do not get paid unless you preform, so most places will take you on even if you show low skill to succeed as they have little invested in you. I would recomend not paying for Jr college now as most firms will train you while you work as they want you up and going so they can make money also.(more education can not hurt though) There are many great people on this forum that take you on and or guide you. Be selective as they need you to

Lance McDaniel in Michigan

60 months ago

norsemen73 in Romeoville, Illinois said: I'm going to start a Training Course for Freight Brokering thru a local Jr.College, After I complete it, how hard or easy is it to get hired thru a brokerage company?

Once you have completed your course. Post some information about yourself and what you have to offer. Mitch is correct, there are a lot of Brokers willing to take on new agents here. Also do your homework on Brokers. They maybe interviewing you, but at the same time your interviewing them.

I would put your email in your profile here 1st thing.

Good luck ! :)

Mark B in Corsicana, Texas

60 months ago

I have a friend that has been a broker/agent for the last 3 years. He tells me he is making about 80K annually and does about a million in revenue. He works with three different brokerages as an agent and has both shippers and carriers that are loyal to him. I am unemployed and he tells me I should get into doing what he does, so I have been spending countless hours researching this business. My friend told me it's very difficult to get into a brokerage without an established business. Seems to me that it's impossible to get a client without a brokerage behind you already. My friend had the "good ol' boy" factor on his side in that he had a personal friend that was a shipper for a local company and he had some driving experience. That was evidently ehough to get his foot in the door. To put in his own words, "it took alot of BS". This friend is willing to let me work with him and get some training. My key concern is getting my foot in the door with a brokerage. I'm very computer savvy and I have alot of experience (22yrs) in the distribution industry. I have very good written and verbal communications skills, strong analytical and problems solving. My area of least experience is in sales but I'm that guy that can do whatever I set out to do. My titles ranged from receiving clerk to systems analyst. I want to understand more about getting into a brokerage (with great ethics and integrity) as an agent while having little to no experience or no established following. Is this something I should invest my time into? If I do this it's going to be all the way or nothing and I just want to know that I can get in if I do the work. Thanks for any advice.

ltesterman@pioneertransfer.com in Sioux City, Iowa

60 months ago

This business is very tough right now. Shippers and getting freight, and finding trucks. I would say that you may want to do something else for awhile, since you would be starting from the ground up. This business is 90% sales. With no current contacts or customers, it is going to be very difficult for you..if you have a job currently, I would advise to hang onto it.

Lance McDaniel in Michigan

60 months ago

If I had a friend like that, I'd be his new lamp shade.

59 months ago

I think we should all cold call Wendy first thing every morning to warm up.

Mr Trucking in Granger, Indiana

59 months ago

Mark B in Corsicana, Texas said: I have a friend that has been a broker/agent for the last 3 years. He tells me he is making about 80K annually and does about a million in revenue. He works with three different brokerages as an agent and has both shippers and carriers that are loyal to him. I am unemployed and he tells me I should get into doing what he does, so I have been spending countless hours researching this business. My friend told me it's very difficult to get into a brokerage without an established business. Seems to me that it's impossible to get a client without a brokerage behind you already. My friend had the "good ol' boy" factor on his side in that he had a personal friend that was a shipper for a local company and he had some driving experience. That was evidently ehough to get his foot in the door. To put in his own words, "it took alot of BS". This friend is willing to let me work with him and get some training. My key concern is getting my foot in the door with a brokerage. I'm very computer savvy and I have alot of experience (22yrs) in the distribution industry. I have very good written and verbal communications skills, strong analytical and problems solving. My area of least experience is in sales but I'm that guy that can do whatever I set out to do. My titles ranged from receiving clerk to systems analyst. I want to understand more about getting into a brokerage (with great ethics and integrity) as an agent while having little to no experience or no established following. Is this something I should invest my time into? If I do this it's going to be all the way or nothing and I just want to know that I can get in if I do the work. Thanks for any advice.

Broker agent income is unlimited with us. All you need to do is be willing to call and make contacts. Take no for an answer and move on to the next potential client. Some knowledge of the trucking industry is important. But it is not rocket science.
Just reply

sbj4225 in Stone Mountain, Georgia

59 months ago

why are you not able to get trucks is it because of low rates on the loads. There are so many truckers out there looking for work

norsemen73 in West Chicago, Illinois

58 months ago

Im about done with the School for Brokers and I was just wondering if anyone out there would hire someone like me? I've scored 100% on all tests so far.

Leah in Port Richey, Florida

58 months ago

Hello, My name is Leah. Me and my other half, who is currently a truck driver, are looking to start a business from home being broker agents. I have no experience or schooling for freight agent but I do have a heavy sales background. Would going to one of these schools online be a good starting point for me. I know once I am with a brokerage I will do well, my concern is getting hired on with someone with the lack of transportation experience. I am going to be putting everything I have into this so I need to know if this is going to be a good investment for us. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

CREngland in Salt Lake City, Utah

58 months ago

I am not sure if you are referring to our In-house Brokerage or Asset Division but just as with any business mistakes are made and you may not come out 100% satisfied. In this case I hope that everything possible was done to rectify any errors made and if you would like to contact me direct I would be happy to field any complaints and do whatever I can to change your opinion on that. However, being the largest refrigerated trucking company in the world, a top 15 brokerage in the nation, posting a 98% on time approval rating, and running daily operations for 1,000s of clients throughout the world everyday it is hard to believe our agents are as incompetent as you say. I hope to in no way make you think I disregard your comment and if anything hope to show how dedicated we are to doing whatever possible to earn, keep, and deserve your business. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you would like but if not please accept my apologies for past performance and know we will do everything we can to help in the future.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Justin Morgan in San Luis Obispo, California

58 months ago

This is such a great thread! I am adding trucks everyday as a dispatcher. I take 3% cut to find them loads and keep them rolling. I have one truck of my own but it may not last much longer. I got into the industry without knowing who to run for. CHRobinson rates ran me straight into the ground, and I didn't know any better.

I am hoping to find brokers that can deliver high paying rates so I can keep my first 5 trucks happy. As I add more and more trucks, I can accept lower rates, according to the needs and requirements of each individual truck and driver. I am looking for a broker that understands that I will need to have a few months to build up a small army of trucks that can make your job much less time consuming.

The main problem I see in the freight brokering world is that the job is based on market speculations that are time consuming. How often do brokers get up so early in the morning to post a load at the lowest rate they can get, then readjust it throughout the day to finally make much less than you would like to? I believe that I have the solution. I can lease on 20-30 trucks to my authority and have those trucks available for your every beck and whim. I will know each driver and truck personally and be able to quote the lowest possible rate that the truck will accept. If you think that the rate is too high, feel free to post on a load board. At the end of the day, you make more.

The way I figure it is like this: I am taking such a small cut of revenues that the drivers don't care what I am making. They are just happy to keep rolling, so long as rates in the beginning (I call it the honeymoon phase) are very good. Once they have stockpiled some funds, they recognize that I am the source that bailed them out of their finanical woes. They dedicate themselves to me, even as the broker begins throttling back the rates. If rates get too low for one particualr driver, we help that driver out with higher rates for that particular load.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

georgebuffet in London, United Kingdom

58 months ago

Hi There !!

It is just depends upon the skills and the experience. Try get more kills and it will help you to get a good salary.

Hope it helps :)

Regards,
George Buffet

mitch2 in Spring Hill, Kansas

57 months ago

Agent looking for change, looking for a broker that has support to process carriers and shipper in a timely manner, ability to invoice and collect in timely manner and track and then distribute commission correctly and timely. Capital reserves to go thru rough times when shippers are slow paying. Availability of more than one load board with possible access to large data base of carriers. If I had worked for you this week and you had half of my requirements we would have moved over 56 loads with a gross per load of around $130 per load instead of the 3 that I did move. I know this is not a lot of gross but it is to me at 60%,$4368.00 for me and $2912 to broker. Also I would prefer broker not to have the office and themselves operate on a cell phone that is always on speaker and getting dropped at least every time I call and have to move to the doorway to talk to me. Maybe it would be nice if broker excepted credit cards also as I have shippers that will pay before shipping for their freight as the load is being picked up. I am losing customers as we speak and we are are losing revenue.

Doug Schreck in Canton, Ohio

57 months ago

mitch2 in Spring Hill, Kansas said: Agent looking for change, looking for a broker that has support to process carriers and shipper in a timely manner, ability to invoice and collect in timely manner and track and then distribute commission correctly and timely. Capital reserves to go thru rough times when shippers are slow paying. Availability of more than one load board with possible access to large data base of carriers. If I had worked for you this week and you had half of my requirements we would have moved over 56 loads with a gross per load of around $130 per load instead of the 3 that I did move. I know this is not a lot of gross but it is to me at 60%,$4368.00 for me and $2912 to broker. Also I would prefer broker not to have the office and themselves operate on a cell phone that is always on speaker and getting dropped at least every time I call and have to move to the doorway to talk to me. Maybe it would be nice if broker excepted credit cards also as I have shippers that will pay before shipping for their freight as the load is being picked up. I am losing customers as we speak and we are are losing revenue.

Mitch,
Please call me or provide your number. I have 1 hour this morning to discuss your options. Doug AGS Logistics three three zero eight zero seven one two seven zero.

Rippie in Las Vegas, Nevada

57 months ago

i am looking to get into broking out of my home in las vegas what do i need ? been in trucking 22 years on the driver side but cant drive anymore and cant afford to pay for a broker school any suggestions thank you

57 months ago

let me ask this as an agent can i make $60.00 a day to my pocket or more just starting out ?

jon in Wylie, Texas

57 months ago

it is not likely that you will make any money for the first month and very little the 2nd and possibly the 3rd month
you have to stick with it for the long haul. If you do you can make from $50,000 on up no problem. it takes time to build your business up. this is not a quick thing.

57 months ago

jon in Wylie, Texas said: it is not likely that you will make any money for the first month and very little the 2nd and possibly the 3rd month
you have to stick with it for the long haul. If you do you can make from $50,000 on up no problem. it takes time to build your business up. this is not a quick thing.

k i will call we can talk that is 7:00pm central time ?

jon in Wylie, Texas

57 months ago

yes I also did sales and operations so it was easy for me to eclipe $150k. But most people don't start with the advantage that you and I have. I have recruited and trained many people and the average person doesn't get going to quickly from zero.

Page:  « First « Previous   2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.