AAHOI

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1)

Phil in North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

66 months ago

I was a resort GM for 30 years and we sold the hotel. So I started a web site at AAHOI.com. Asian American Hotel Owners.com for Free Classifieds for jobs, hotels for sale and suppliers to reach the industry.

Being a GM for many years, I watched as the job requirements and rewards changed.

The is a huge difference for hotel GM's in non branded hotels as compared to branded hotels.

My opinion is to work for the independents if possible. The turn over in branded hotels is staggering. Many GM's I knew didn't even expect to be on the same job the next year.

Many owners change managers for minor personality reasons. But many times the reason is that GM's are brought in from far off states where the new manager has no idea of the new market and it takes a full year to get the full look at the hotel and the ins and outs.

Before accepting a job as GM ask about the last five managers and what happened..why they are gone. Don't move and take wild chances on an unknown hotel owner or company that has a big turnover. If you have a family and have to sell your home ... be very careful.....ask lots of questions first.

PH

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.