Breaking into Hotel Industry - General Manager Position Wanted

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

AC5555 in Madison, Wisconsin

57 months ago

I am trying to make a career change into the Hotel Management and Hotel Operations. My background has 20+ years in customer service experience in the insurance industry. What is the best way for me utlize my professional experience and enter into in this industry? Most job postings require hotel management experience. Any assitance would be great.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Jkamm421

7 months ago

Look up Aimbridge Hospitality. They are a management company. They manage Hyatts,Holiday Inn, Marriots, Radisson, ect. All over the US.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Hotel Jobz in Chesapeake, Virginia

5 months ago

Hello,

It is usually best to pinpoint your ultimate goal and work backwards from there. If your desire is to become a GM of a large-scale operation, then you will need to gain the necessary experience within the industry. You may find the most success based on the size of the hotel and the organizational structure. For example, larger hotels utilize a Guest Services Manager which is an outstanding way to gain supervisory/managerial experience and I would imagine you would be competitive based on your work experience. From here, you can work towards department manager positions and ultimately move into the top spot at the property. Worst case scenario, you can apply for departmental "leader" positions that are great ways to prove your abilities and go from there. It may be more difficult to find leadership roles at smaller properties since there are only a small amount of managers and supervisors.

In my experience as a hiring manager, it is typically rare for an individual to jump right into the industry into any managerial position.

Best of luck.

Marc
Director
hoteljobz.com
healthcarejobsearch.net

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.