Tips for gis analyst interviews.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Host

Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming gis analyst interview?

Are there common interview questions that come up again and again?

Reply - Report abuse

Edwin in Fresno, California

92 months ago

I have a phone interview in the afternoon for a GIS analyst but don't know much about SQL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

88 months ago

You don't know how to use Query Builder?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Wil Cowart in Macon, Georgia

83 months ago

Host said: Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming gis analyst interview?

Are there common interview questions that come up again and again?

In my experience it depends onthe company you're applying with, and how the interview process is structured. private firms generally have the most knowledgable staff, and will likely ask the toughest questions - be prepared to discuss in detail the platforms you're familiar with and their applications to the specific job/firm.
On the other hand, smaller city/state agencies (i.e. utilitiescompanies, etc) often have smaller numbers of staff dedicated to GIS, and you'll likely speak to a supervisor who may only understand the basics of what GIS is.
My advice is do your homework - research the company/position and try to feel out what aspects of GIS they focus on. If it's a utilities job, bone up on models you might use and focus on what you can do for them in terms of organization and output. For private firms, make it apparent that you're ready for anything, highly trainable and be confident in at least a few GIS-specific areas of your training.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

GARCIA in San Antonio, Texas

65 months ago

I always enjoy Tobler's Law

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.