***********GPS data services***************

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

jcj1494@yahoo.com in Cleveland, Ohio

46 months ago

Hey all!

There has to be some companies or agencies out there, both government and private that are looking for data collection services in remote locations and in extreme conditions. I am talking contract work here.

Most GIS profesionals are not willing to get their hands dirty when it comes to data collection. EXAMPLE: Oil company in west virginia who is looking for someone to perform a GIS invetory on infrastructure and utilities in the mountains. In order to collect data in these areas you better be willing to rough it in the hills for some time. Again this is an example so you guys get a better idea of what type of work I am talking about.

I have a Master in GIS, a commercial grade GPS, a 4x4 vehicle, and an atv that fits nicely in the bed of my truck. I am sure that there is someone out there who could use someone like me.

Anyone know if there is a niche for this type of work?

Thanks for the input!

Jim

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

shawncooper in Salt Lake City, Utah

24 days ago

jcj1494@yahoo.com in Cleveland, Ohio said: Hey all!

There has to be some companies or agencies out there, both government and private that are looking for data collection services in remote locations and in extreme conditions. I am talking contract work here.

Most GIS profesionals are not willing to get their hands dirty when it comes to data collection. EXAMPLE: Oil company in west virginia who is looking for someone to perform a GIS invetory on infrastructure and utilities in the mountains. In order to collect data in these areas you better be willing to rough it in the hills for some time. Again this is an example so you guys get a better idea of what type of work I am talking about.

I have a Master in GIS, a commercial grade GPS, a 4x4 vehicle, and an atv that fits nicely in the bed of my truck. I am sure that there is someone out there who could use someone like me.

Anyone know if there is a niche for this type of work?

Thanks for the input!

Jim

Hi, I'm from Utah and I've heard of that, too. I'm also similarly equipped and can rough it. I'll share what I can find out if you'll do the same, too.^_^

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.