Any expatriate GIS workers?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Blake in Jacksonville, Florida

36 months ago

Hi, I'm about to graduate with a Master's degree in Urban Planning from a program with a strong focus on GIS applications, and would like to be either a planner who uses GIS extensively or just a pure GIS tech. I'm interested in working internationally, not only because of the dire jobs situation here in America, but also just because I'd like to live somewhere else. Besides the idea that other countries have healthier economies and may be hiring, I'm also somewhat hoping that in many places, the use of GIS is new so they haven't been saturated by a lot of GIS professionals yet :)

So, does anyone have experience working abroad? I know there are plenty of jobs in Australia, and I've seen some postings from the Cayman Islands (a wealthy offshore banking destination). I don't know about elsewhere. I'd be willing to learn another language to the best of my ability, and already know a little spanish and portuguese. Particularly, I'm also interested in the work visa situation - I know that can be tricky.

Thanks for any advice or comments!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Dave in Orlando, Florida

28 months ago

Blake I'm on a similar wavelength here in Orlando. Working thru a web programming program but want to use it in GIS on natural resources internationally, and possibly big construction projects. I think you're correct to think GIS skills/use will be cutting edge in some countries. Not sure what the banking angle is unless you're thinking of real estate. Brazil is booming for one but every S. American country except Chile perhaps has issues. I'm working on Spanish myself. On another note: I understand U.S. engineering industry will be exporting for decades as we are a world leader: civil engineering, etc.
I'll join this site to keep in touch w/anyone like yourself who has similar international interests. Cheers.

Randy in Omaha, Nebraska

28 months ago

Dave in Orlando, Florida said: Blake I'm on a similar wavelength here in Orlando. Working thru a web programming program but want to use it in GIS on natural resources internationally, and possibly big construction projects. I think you're correct to think GIS skills/use will be cutting edge in some countries. Not sure what the banking angle is unless you're thinking of real estate. Brazil is booming for one but every S. American country except Chile perhaps has issues. I'm working on Spanish myself. On another note: I understand U.S. engineering industry will be exporting for decades as we are a world leader: civil engineering, etc.
I'll join this site to keep in touch w/anyone like yourself who has similar international interests. Cheers.

Look at companies like HDR or URS for potential internships or jobs. They have national and international operations and are solid companies.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.