job offer in the UK

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (16)

GISPro in Gaithersburg, Maryland

54 months ago

Hi,

I have been contacted by this company calling themselves AES Consulting Service/AES Consultants. They seem to have got my contact info from monster.com. I have been communicating with them by email for the past week. First they asked for a resume in their first email which I sent over. Then they asked for my college diplomas which I scanned and sent over. As I got more emails from them I started getting suspicious. Their wording seems vague and they throw around GIS buzzwords a lot. Also, they are contacting me from an @att email domain which is what worries me the most. I asked them to send me a web url for their company and some info about what they do. The url they sent me is www.aesengs.co.uk I checked it out and it seems like a sub-par site that someone could build fairly quickly themselves. Finally, they offered me a job with them as a consultant for 4500GBP a month and they sent me an "offer letter" without any company logo or letterhead. There is a phone # they gave me to call which I plan to do. The funny thing is that they offered me a job without even talking with me on the phone (we just exchanged emails) I just smell a rat in this whole thing. They have not asked me to give them any personal info yet but I know that as soon as they do it's a scam.

Have any of you heard of AES Consulting? Did anyone else get an offer like this? I would like some feedback especially from someone who took a job overseas so that I can get a feel of what to expect from the hiring process. I never worked outside the USA before. Any help would be appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Parvaneh_honarmand@hotmail.com in Brussels, Belgium

54 months ago

Hi back!
I have recently received such an email. Actually in their first reply to my application they have expressed themselves so interested and this made me suspicious!
The sender of that email has introduced himself as Dr. Herbert Ford. When I googled him and the company, I found nothing except your statement!!!
I don't trust them but am highly interested in knowing how we can verify the reliability of companies which send such a vacancy.

54 months ago

Thank you for getting back to me. Yes, I got the same exact e-mail from an individual calling themselves Dr. Herbert Ford. I never got around to calling them but I gave them my phone #s and did not get a call. It's hard for me to call them from the USA because of the time difference. The number they gave me was four-four-seven-zero-two-four-zero-eight-one-nine-zero-eight. It was in the "offer letter". There are so many suspicious things about this job offer. They communicate through free emails, the guy from HR is a "Dr." (how many PHDs do you know who work in HR?), and then they have you submit your offer letter to some lawyer "barrister" which sounds a lot like a Nigerian $$ scam. At this point I'm giving up on this b/c there is only like 1/100 chance that this is a real job offer and if they are really interested they will call me. Let me know if you decide to pursue this I'm curious as to how it will turn out. **OF COURSE DON'T GIVE THEM ANY OF YOUR PERSONAL INFO

JACK in Youngstown, Ohio

54 months ago

AASAS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ONE MORE in Youngstown, Ohio

54 months ago

I received the same sort of e-mail message. I have forwarded my certs as requested too. Well, the funny part about this whole thing is that it is so hard to distinguish anymore between a reputable company and some scam. Why, well, whatever the case may be with this job offer, if it is a scam the people are intelligent to know how hard it is trying to find employment these days and how legitimate company's HR pretty much spit on you electronically and half $ss everything-if you are lucky enough to get that far. I am disgusted with applying for jobs and this world is going to $hit. So, what do we people do, take a chance and then grow supsicious and find a posting like this. So, since I sent my certificates/diploma they have that information, from the sounds of your posts next they will send me employment forms. Well, before I fill-out anything and release private information I will certainly run this through the UK to establish they are ligitimate company. If I get nowhere with that than I will ask them to purchase a plane ticket and this will tell me if they are $ullsh!t or not. I have had several job offers from overseas and not sure if they are legitimate or not. I try to contact the co.'s through their website link. Yes, never hear anything back of course and how hard is it really to make some bogus website up. Why do these people never use e-mails from registered domain? Such as in this case. Well, again, the answer can be quite logical if someone is recruiting on the side to make bonuses, or, they do not subscribe or prefer web-host plans which suck a lot of time and impossible to use customer service--so yes, use better more functional e-mail. Secondly, can track the domain and e-mail domain pretty easy by sending a dummy route..and so on and so on. Point is again, these people are understanding the process of applying for jobs these days is hard and HR is TERRIBLE everywhere. WORLD IS GOING TO $HIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

54 months ago

JACK in Youngstown, Ohio said: AASAS

What do you mean AASAS? Can you please explain? Has anyone followed through on this offer to the end? What were the results?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

CareerGuru in San Francisco, California

54 months ago

I'm not sure if the UK has something similar to the Better Business bureau , but they do have what is called "business credit reports" (google it) which will give you specific information about businesses running there if you have the urge to find out.

54 months ago

CareerGuru in San Francisco, California said: I'm not sure if the UK has something similar to the Better Business bureau , but they do have what is called "business credit reports" (google it) which will give you specific information about businesses running there if you have the urge to find out.

That's a good idea but someone could still pose as being affiliated with a legitimate business. The only real way to find out is to talk with the actual HR rep who contacted you in the first place and gauge how sincere their intentions really are. In this case I did not talk with anyone and their offering me a job without talking to me is a dead giveaway that this was nothing more than a phishing scam. Has anyone on this board got a job overseas? How was the hiring process different/similar to being hired in the US?

Serious in Irving, Texas

54 months ago

I received the same email from this guy and this guy sent me the following website www.aesengs.co.uk which is a genuine company. I called my friends in the UK to investigate and find out if this guy exists and they all concluded this guy is a scammer. I also called this company and they said that Herbert Ford is a scammer and they are trying to get authorities to arrest him but have not been able to do so. The UK has similar companys like the Better Business Bureau, they are Office of Fair Trading and Trading Standards Institute. Please warn other people out there these guys are targeting people who are job searching and they are using job boards to get your email address.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Serious in Irving, Texas said: I received the same email from this guy and this guy sent me the following website www.aesengs.co.uk which is a genuine company. I called my friends in the UK to investigate and find out if this guy exists and they all concluded this guy is a scammer. I also called this company and they said that Herbert Ford is a scammer and they are trying to get authorities to arrest him but have not been able to do so. The UK has similar companys like the Better Business Bureau, they are Office of Fair Trading and Trading Standards Institute. Please warn other people out there these guys are targeting people who are job searching and they are using job boards to get your email address.

Just as I thought. Thanks for confirming this was a scam. So anybody out there want to share if they got hired overseas?

Confused_99 in Hengelo, Netherlands

52 months ago

Well, I got the same email and He even congratulated me that they finally employ me. But when I try to search for the company and his name, I couldn't find it. Goshh, it's so terrible and I have some doubts about it. I have sent them my CV because I didn't know this before. Any suggestion what should I do?

GISPro in Washington, District of Columbia

52 months ago

Just for fun sign the offer letter once you get it and e-mail it back to the "barrister". Then see what they ask for next. I bet they will want your bank info.

Confused_99 in Hengelo, Netherlands

52 months ago

GISPro in Washington, District of Columbia said: Just for fun sign the offer letter once you get it and e-mail it back to the "barrister". Then see what they ask for next. I bet they will want your bank info.

I have the same feeling, he's gonna ask for money..
My friend also got the same replied from them.
Btw, the company name is ESL but the same guy "Dr. Herbert Ford".

Serious in Irving, Texas

51 months ago

Instead of playing the games with these obvious scammers, I would just report them to the Trading Standards organization in the UK and the and oft.gov.uk. So this criminals can be caught once and for all, so they do not take advantage of other people.

51 months ago

Serious in Irving, Texas said: Instead of playing the games with these obvious scammers, I would just report them to the Trading Standards organization in the UK and the and oft.gov.uk. So this criminals can be caught once and for all, so they do not take advantage of other people.

Yeah right, good luck with that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

Serious in Irving, Texas said: Instead of playing the games with these obvious scammers, I would just report them to the Trading Standards organization in the UK and the and oft.gov.uk. So this criminals can be caught once and for all, so they do not take advantage of other people.

Yeah right, good luck with that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.