CAN GRANTS BE PAID WITH GRANT MONEY?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 239)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Robert Hocker in Texas City, Texas

77 months ago

can a person have a grant written;then add the cost of the grant writer fee to the grant?
if so,how would i contact the writer?
i have 4,000 grants that need to be written.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

K in Gresham, Oregon

76 months ago

No, this is not an acceptable way to compensate a grant writer for several reasons. The most important being that funders want to pay for furthering the mission of your org, not paying a consultant. Also, the grant writer puts in a lot of work to complete the grant proposal, not paying them for this work is not acceptable. This practice is considered to be unethical by both grant writers and funders and could hurt your org's credibility.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Elaine in Portland, Oregon

76 months ago

No, you cannot use grant funds to pay for the grantwriter in general. A grant has a budget that specifies how the funds will be used, and most funders specifically prohibit the money from being used retroactively and/or to pay for fundraising.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anne in Denver, Colorado

76 months ago

I see ads for people looking to compensate grant writers only if they "win" the grant. This is so unethical and sleazy I can't even believe someone would try to use someone in this way! Who would want to put a bunch of work into something for the possiblity of earning money?! Use some common sense!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jseliger in Tucson, Arizona

64 months ago

No—or at least so rarely that the answer is effectively "no." See seliger.com/faq.html#anchor-top for more.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mary Brown in Henderson, Nevada

63 months ago

Robert Hocker in Texas City, Texas said: can a person have a grant written;then add the cost of the grant writer fee to the grant?
if so,how would i contact the writer?
i have 4,000 grants that need to be written.

I am a professional grant writer seeking opportunities to work. I have credible reference and am seeking individual seeking my services. If
you have interest in my service please contact me at mbrown@creativeadaptations.biz

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Rsanger 66 in Newnan, Georgia

63 months ago

Is there a databasse to look up so called grant writers? A guy gave me some "documents" with his "ID" number on them I haven't paid for them yet but I want to verify before I part with my cash.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Small business in Williamson, New York

63 months ago

There seems to be a company called "NATIONAL GRANT WRITING AUTHORITY" out of Las Vegas NV. Does anyone know about this company? They contacted a family member about getting a large grant ect.... Some flags were raised! 1. Company has stated they were in business for 16yrs, yet the BBB listed them begining in June of 2008. 2. They have a website WWW.ntlgrants.org, but nothing shows up but the headline. 3. They are asking for a large deposit up front. I've never heard of any one paying for any service in this country up front for a year. 4. There was a guy a few months ago who wrote on this web page. He talked about scams and his company in the one I have in question. Same web page that contacted a family member.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kc in Kendall Park, New Jersey

62 months ago

i talked to a guy named ben from NTLgrants,he told me i was approved for a 500thousand dollars grant,but he needs 3thousand dollars up freont to get the ball going,has anyone received any grant money from this company?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Capt

62 months ago

I think they are a scam, who phones pre recorded messages for legit grants... come one and what I'm seeing from other sites and readers.... NGWA are smooth and have taken quite a few already~ beware!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dan H in Yorktown Heights, New York

62 months ago

I think the problem is the type of grant to be sought. Many of the government grants I have obtained include "administrative" monies. I have been paid prior to the obtaining of the grant, so the administrative monies may be considered a sort of refund for the cost of my services, although I am not paid directly from the grant.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

michael2cute in Crestview, Florida

62 months ago

Nicole in Lamar, Colorado said: We are considering using National Grant Writing Authority but are unable to find any information on them under the BBB. Do you feel the grant(s) you applied for sound reasonable for what you are doing and are you okay with losing the retainer if it doesn't come through? Is the money you used for a retainer a make it or break it amount for your company with the economy like it is? What type of business do you own?

They also called me recently. Before I give any money to them i checked with ripoffreport.com. Also, I was told they are not listed withe the BBB. I hope you paid with a credit card, so you can dispute any monies you gave to them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

michael2cute in Crestview, Florida

62 months ago

Also there is one comment on ripoffreport.com who evidentally had trouble with them. She claims that the letter writing is very simple, and the langauge used in the letter is like a child wrote the letter. Please inquire on these companies before giving your hard earned money to them. Please see this website before looking for a grant for starting a business www.business.gov/finance/financing/grants.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Linda in Scottsville, Virginia

61 months ago

Eve in colorado in Las Vegas, Nevada said: If you are looking for a grant writing company that DOES do what they say they will do, go with National Grant Writing Authority in Las Vegas, Nevada!!! I was dealing with one of the representatives
named Steve G. and I must say..he was extremely helpful and so VERY nice to work with. Yes, I did pay an upfront retainer fee but for the amount I am going after, it was well worth it to me. He was very upfront, honest, and BEFORE I paid the retainer, I asked him if he could guarantee me the grant...and he said absolutely not..you cant guarantee 3rd party money, but that they work HARD to get the money for me. Well..after listening to three other grant companies GUARANTEEING me grant money..it was very refreshing and very nice to have an HONEST person talking to me..so, I went with Steve G. and National Grant Writing Authority in Las Vegas and have to say..they have done all they said they would do for me.Have I recieved any money?? No..not yet..Its been just a short time since going with them and I do understand it takes time. If anyone reads this and wants QUALITY work done for them as far as going for a grant goes, call this company and ask for Steve G. Who can complain about an upfront retainer when applying for a lot of grant money?? People have to be paid for their work !!

Ok Eve, What is your status now? Have you gotten any money yet from National Grant Writing Authority?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

redx in Amman, Jordan

61 months ago

well it's not a comment but i am wondering if that possible to someone who don't know even what u r look like and granted some money for u without an restrictions in any way if i understand this web right i need a lot of money to start my life

thx

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

meechmouse in Rocky Mount, North Carolina

60 months ago

redx in Amman, Jordan said: well it's not a comment but i am wondering if that possible to someone who don't know even what u r look like and granted some money for u without an restrictions in any way if i understand this web right i need a lot of money to start my life

thx

SAY WHAT??!?!?!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jay in Denver, Colorado

60 months ago

Grants for individuals are scams of some sort. Most grants go to nonprofit organizations, other tax-exempt institutions, and academic researchers at research institutions. I have information about the lawsuits that have been placed against these companies on my website at www.coloradogrants.org

In 15 years of running my company, I have never taken on writing a proposal for an individual or business because there really wasn't any grant to apply for. The closest they can get is helping you apply for a government program that you could apply for on your own (i.e. helping you apply for the $8,000 first time homebuyer credit that you pretty much get automatically if you are buying a home).

Please proceed cautiously. Typically, a grant application goes to a specific foundation or responds to a specific requests for proposals. These scammer companies will never be able to give you the name of the competition that they are supposedly applying on your behalf, nor will they be able to give you legitimate references.

Linda in Charlottesville, Virginia

60 months ago

I would be most interested to find out of you are able to secure any funding. Please keep me posted.

lindasbowles@hotmail.com

Bayou in Abbeville, Louisiana

60 months ago

Well I was told from your COMPANY that I could pay myself back or pay whoever lent me the money with the grant money I would get. Now that was told to me by people you work for. Now what!!!!

60 months ago

kc in Kendall Park, New Jersey said: i talked to a guy named ben from NTLgrants,he told me i was approved for a 500thousand dollars grant,but he needs 3thousand dollars up freont to get the ball going,has anyone received any grant money from this company?

KC,
I have delt with Ben and All I can say is SCAM. I paid them $9,650 and I have not got anything but foundations telling me that they can't help me because I'm not a non profit 501 C . They only send to foundations that help Charities, and these foundations will not help people that are going to profit we are called a for profit.
If you need any proof that I'm telling the truth email me at Bayousunrise@cox.net I've been in their program for 5 1/2 months

SBJ

60 months ago

has anyone heard of the National Grant Writers Association. My wife hired a grant writer,United Grant Solutions and was told she was awarded a large grant, but due to the Dept. of Homelanf Security the funding is tied up. They have not asked for additional monies,so far.We are assuming they will at some point.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

John Nawrocki in Albuquerque, New Mexico

60 months ago

michael2cute in Crestview, Florida said: They also called me recently. Before I give any money to them i checked with ripoffreport.com. Also, I was told they are not listed withe the BBB. I hope you paid with a credit card, so you can dispute any monies you gave to them.

Call Resource Associates www.grantwriters.net.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

richardshaw in Bhubaneswar, India

59 months ago

SBJ said: has anyone heard of the National Grant Writers Association. My wife hired a grant writer,United Grant Solutions and was told she was awarded a large grant, but due to the Dept. of Homelanf Security the funding is tied up. They have not asked for additional monies,so far.We are assuming they will at some point.

Be sure to find out all about it. You never know, there may be a scam in the offing

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mrgmcq in Oak Park, Illinois

58 months ago

Has anyone received money with NGWA?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

I've been with them since March of this year, and to this date when I call It goes to the voice mail and sometimes they call me back. As for as getting money Not no but hell NO. I guess I got taken to the bank on this one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mrgmcq in Oak Park, Illinois

58 months ago

What type of grant were you appling for?

58 months ago

I need a grant to purchase the business I work for and to relocate it. I'm a singel mother and I get no help and I want to add more equipment and the people to run the new machines.

charles sd in San Diego, California

58 months ago

Bayou in Abbeville, Louisiana said: I need a grant to purchase the business I work for and to relocate it. I'm a singel mother and I get no help and I want to add more equipment and the people to run the new machines.

bayou, there are recourses u can take. one is calling the attorney general's office, the bbb of s.nevada, and the FBI and file a formal complaint. i was told that some people do get their problems resolved and/or refunded. also there was an FBI informant working inside company funds inc. to dispell and investigate these inappropriate schemes. apparantely these companies go to vegas as there are loopholes that they can get away with scamming people and the feds don't come down or are too hard to prove against them. so buyer beware and these websites are great for exposing them. the 3 agencies i mentioned are also very helpful. resist giving ur money and do ur due diligence. good luck charles in sd.

squinn in Euless, Texas

58 months ago

I have been approached about the grants submitted by National Grant Writing Authority as well. They have sent me an article written by (has the heading of cnbc.com on top) cnbc talking about government grants as well as private foundation grants. They've also provided a bbb report but the url has unrecognizable symbols so there's no way to track it. I'll be doing a lot more research. But I like others here will need far more assurance that these folks actually can & will deliver.

lindasbowles in Charlottesville, Virginia

58 months ago

I was recently in Las Vegas. National Grant Writing Authority is not listed in the Las Vegas phone book. I would assume that a legitimate business would have a local phone number.

ecomichele@yahoo.com in Delray Beach, Florida

58 months ago

I am not going to conference tmrw. I ckd them out and they are long term scammers. What we neeed to do is find out where in our Gov. grant money is and apply ourselves or hire a grant writer.

hancockrobin12@yahoo.com in Port Byron, Illinois

58 months ago

Here is another Las Vegas based company. Funding Resource Network. Anyone heard of them? They also charge $3,000 to get started. The contract is for a year and if they don't get at least $50,000 funded for you then they don't bill you the balance of $2,995. The website gives a lot of vague information. They are listed with the Secretary of State of Nevada as a registered business. I asked if I could get contacts of previous clients and they said no because of privacy laws. I asked about success rate and was told it was 80%. I checked with the BBB and they are not members but there was also no filings against them. There window of opportunity is 72 hours so if you don't pay them the deposit within that time I guess you are sol. I was skepitcal and didn't do it. They faxed me back to say I was denied but welcome to apply next year. Sounded a little hokey. I understand paying for services but the time limit was what threw me. Just curious as to whether anyone else has had any experience with this company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kathy in Las Vegas, Nevada

57 months ago

I want to say this about national grant writing authority..my boyfriend worked with them for a few months and not only do they rip people off, they even rip off their own workers. You have to sign on as an independant contractor to work for them and then, their "floor manager", who himself is a low life person and even steals money from his own boss, who he SAYS is his friend, cheats you out of money. My boyfriend used to come home and tell me how this person, Xavier( the floor manager), would laugh and say that all the people are purchasing is a box of envelopes, some stamps, and a years worth of time for them to send the letters of intent out to different grant giving companies. The actual percentage of regular businesses that get the money is about 2%, and THATS if they are non-profit organizations. One of the guys that worked with my boyfriend, from the research department, told him that.I thank GOD that my boyfriend listened to me when he himself got ripped off by this Xavier, and quit that scamming place!!!
So...EVERYONE WATCH OUT FOR NATIONAL GRANT WRITING AUTHORITY!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

paulboy in Aurora, Colorado

57 months ago

I believe this blog has gotten off track.
The original posting was for National Grant Writers Association. There is a company here in Co. taking money and awarding grants through this association.
The problem is no one ever gets their money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Kathy, Can you contact me by email at Bayousunrise@cox.net so we can talk. They took $9,650.00 of my money and If you can I'd like to know how I can get it back if that's possible. I've talked to Xavier and I agree he is a LIER.....

Anne in Littleton, Colorado

57 months ago

richardshaw in Bhubaneswar, India said: Be sure to find out all about it. You never know, there may be a scam in the offing

I also have won a grant through National Grant Writers Association using a company here in CO. No money has been paid. I wonder if we are working with the same grant writer. Please respond at this site. Perhaps we can complare notes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

I am working with Ben , Dillon, Dan Goodman, and the person that wrote the grant is Mary Brown that is on this forum. If you have any questions just email me. I paid $9,650 and got nothing.

kathy in Las Vegas, Nevada

57 months ago

Bayou in Abbeville, Louisiana said: Kathy, Can you contact me by email at Bayousunrise@cox.net so we can talk. They took $9,650.00 of my money and If you can I'd like to know how I can get it back if that's possible. I've talked to Xavier and I agree he is a LIER.....

Hi ..I will e-mail you and tell you all I know about this company.With pleasure!!
its going some when a company even steals form the employers and when a manager steals from the owner of the company!!!

57 months ago

Kathy,

I would like to get some of my money back. I'm a single mother and I used the money I got after my Father passed away. My hours have been cut and I sure could use this money now. Mr. Dan Goodman told me that there was a Foundation that said they'd give me the money if we meet the dead line of July 15, 2009. Well that has come and gone so many times it sucks. They lied from the start and now my Daughter has to suffer from it. They promise you everything and you get nothing. I just hope other people read these post before giving them money. When I call over there I got the voice mail and no return phone call. As for Ben I guess I pissed in his Cheerios When I told him I don't like to be lied to.

wondering2009 in Aurora, Colorado

57 months ago

I'm wondering if anyone else knows anymore about United Grant Solutions? Has anyone ever gotten the money that they were promised? I can't find ANY info on this supposed National Grant Writers Association. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough. United Grants Solutions keeps saying that the department of homeland security is holding up the money, but this has been the same story for months, with more than one person. Please let me know if anyone else knows anything. Thanks

57 months ago

This United Grant Solutions needs to be brought before the Attorney Generals office they "award" grants but no one ever gets the money. They use excuses like they are getting clearance from Dept. of Homeland Security. Mean while they get lots of money to write grants but won't show you what you paid for and no one gets the grant money. SCAM

57 months ago

Wondering 2009, Let's get together soon, I know some others who feel scammed by this PW person at United Grant Solutions.We are talking about going to the Attorney General Fraud Dept. office to go after this person. It appears she has been taking money from people all over Colorado then she awards them a super large Grant in her companies name. They don't ever get their money, she says the Department of Home Land Security is holding up the payment. She charges $5000 or more to write a grant, that she doesn't and won't show it to you for some other lame excuse.All the people shes cheated are talking about taking action.

please send me your info. we are both in Aurora so if she took you also you can join in.

merlin in Aurora, Colorado

57 months ago

Anne in Littleton, Colorado said: I also have won a grant through National Grant Writers Association using a company here in CO. No money has been paid. I wonder if we are working with the same grant writer. Please respond at this site. Perhaps we can complare notes.

Is it United Grant Solutions? They have "awarded" tons of grants, them not the foundation. Many people here in Co. are getting ready to go to the Attorney General. Email me

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sue in Denver, Colorado

57 months ago

merlin in Aurora, Colorado said: Is it United Grant Solutions? They have "awarded" tons of grants, them not the foundation. Many people here in Co. are getting ready to go to the Attorney General. Email me

I am doing research on United Grant Solutions company and came across this. I am looking for good grant writers and would like to know more from people who worked with UGS. Thanks.

57 months ago

From what I've read they are good at taking your money, telling you you've won a grant and then making excuses as to why you don't get your money. I understand they have "awarded " many grants but no one has received a dime.
If you find out more about them please post it here. I would find someone who actually has had paid awards.

wondering2009 in Aurora, Colorado

57 months ago

paulboy in Aurora, Colorado said: From what I've read they are good at taking your money, telling you you've won a grant and then making excuses as to why you don't get your money. I understand they have "awarded " many grants but no one has received a dime.
If you find out more about them please post it here. I would find someone who actually has had paid awards.

Paulboy, how do I email you from here? I would really like to speak with you about this.

Annette Davis in Pocatello, Idaho

57 months ago

kathy in Las Vegas, Nevada said: I want to say this about national grant writing authority..my boyfriend worked with them for a few months and not only do they rip people off...

Dear Kathy & Bayou,

I'd love to have more information! One of their reps has my husband convinced that they are a legitimate company. I'm having a hard time convincing him that it would be a waste of money. Our small business is in trouble and we don't have money to waste on a scam. Thanks so much for your help!

Annette

57 months ago

Annette,

If you would like you can email me personally at Bayousunrise@cox.net and I will tell you everything. I know what you are talking about when you say you have a small business in trouble I'm in the same boat that's why I took the little bit of money I got from when my Father passed away and paid these people. All I can say is please tell your HUSBAND it's not worth it. All they do is lie to get your money and then after they get it they may talk to you for about a month to make the SCAM look real then when you call it goes to voice mail and they never return the call.
If you look towards the top of this Forum you will see a Mary Brown looking for a job to write GRANTS she is the one that wrote mine through NATIONAL GRANT WRITING AUTHORTY the way I know that is I matched her email with the email I had to send my information to. Now not get me wrong when I talked to Ms. Mary she was always nice to me, but there is a Ben that works there and he is one of the many people that I've delt with and he's a good bull he will tell you whatever you want to hear, but remember it's all lies. They sent out to 2 Foundations and they contacted me and told me that they are non profit foundations that a foundation will not give you a GRANT for a pro profit which is what we are we will make money off of the GRANT or payoff bill and that's not what the GRANTS are for. These 2 foundations call me personally. When NGWA sent me the 1st and 2nd list of foundations after I had to ask for it now this is after I got the 2 phone calls I told Ben about the non profit and pro profit thing and he told me that at the end of the year the foundations have to give away X amount of money and that is when I will have a better chance to get my grant so I call back the ladies I talked to a the Foundations that called me and she told me that is a line of BULL that that is not true. I then called Ben back and asked him why he lied to me and he said they have no reason to contact

57 months ago

(cont) from above.......

contact me and he said he is taking my phone number off the Business plan. So they did that and he sent me a copy of the list of 10 Foundation they sent to the firts and second time. Please don't get in the bind that I am in. I'm so scared that we loose our home and everything else because of this I don't have the money to now get out of the bind that has put us in. Like I said if you need to contact me please do I have a bunch of paperwork I can share with you from NGWA and the 2 foundations that rejected me because I am a pro profit, and a business. Email me at BAYOUSUNRISE@cox.net
Thanks,
Michelle

kirsten1 smith in Denver, Colorado

57 months ago

Paulboy I worked for her and did not know what I was doing...how do I contact you?

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.