Grant Writing Workshops & Training

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (16)

Dan H in Yorktown Heights, New York

73 months ago

The only worthwhile courses are the seminars offered by the granting agencies. Most government agencies have classes so they don't have to deal with poor submissions. Check the dealines, and the classses will be a couple of months before, typically just after the RFPs go out.

Try to find some of these, even if they are outside the field you are interested in. Theyw ill give you a good primer on what is expected in a typical grant.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

buisnessjohn in Centreville, Virginia

72 months ago

I have seen a number of schools or courses advertised online, but I'm not sure of their quality. I also think that experience itself goes a long way. I'll take quality experience over a certificate any day. Real life experience helps one to develop critical thinking skills. Class experience only doesn't seem to do that very well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

UBGRAD06 in Bronx, New York

72 months ago

Dan H in Yorktown Heights, New York said: The only worthwhile courses are the seminars offered by the granting agencies. Most government agencies have classes so they don't have to deal with poor submissions. Check the dealines, and the classses will be a couple of months before, typically just after the RFPs go out.

Try to find some of these, even if they are outside the field you are interested in. Theyw ill give you a good primer on what is expected in a typical grant.

I graduated with a B.A. in Social Sciences and while in school I studied Health and Human Services/Community Mental Health. I have been out of undergrad for three years and I intended on pursuing a Master's degree in social work until recently. I have been re-thinking this decision. I know that in the human service/social work field there is a lot of grant writing done for particular positions to become available. Being that I have been working in the field 2/3 years I realize that a lot of the positions within these organizations are grant funded. I also know that the future of human service professionals depend on grant writing so I think I want to focus on this aspect within the human services field. I was wondering what skills or education is needed to become a competent grant writer and where I can find these classes/education in New York City. I am also wondering if I should still pursue social work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

dscott21 in Gainesville, Florida

71 months ago

can anyone give me some insight on grants in Florida? I am looking for information about what websites to visit for current grants, how to write them, etc.....any info would be greatly appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Richard Shaw in Bhubaneswar, India

70 months ago

It is better to take the help of a proper grant writer and get your proposal written instead of writing it yourself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Zapgrants in Augusta, Maine

65 months ago

Online courses don't simulate the real-world stress of writing proposals due by rigid deadlines. They can't simulate the collaboration often required in pulling together the data and action plans and budgets of proposals. If you must seek training beforehand -- rather than trial by fire with or without a mentor -- do your best to avoid all those who prey for profit on the many naive altruists among us. Always ask for hard evidence or proof of their productivity, not merely publishers'or promoters' puff-pieces or unsubstantiated testimonials.

As for Florida, look up the Foundation Center Cooperating Collections in that state, visit it in person, and ask to see a state directory of foundations.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

Peg in Grand Island, Nebraska

64 months ago

cevans1969 in Newport, North Carolina said: The only seminar I can personally recommend is Grant Writing Bootcamp ( grantwritingbootcamp.us/ ) offered by Dr. Beverly Browning. She is superb and I recommend anything she teaches wholeheartedly. As for others, I know some are just oversold. You might want to consider a 6 wk course that Dr. Browning teaches online at Ed2Go.com. She teaches "Advanced Grant Proposal Writing" and "How to Become a Grant Proposal Consultant" there and both are worth every penny. Just another thought. Hope that helps.

I am currently taking this grant writing course and finding it very informative and is definitely worth the money

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Melinda in Fairbanks, Alaska

64 months ago

Peg in Grand Island, Nebraska said: I am currently taking this grant writing course and finding it very informative and is definitely worth the money

thanks Peg, Sounds great ~ I will check out Dr. Browning's Grant Writing Bootcamp!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Don Stice in Salem, Oregon

63 months ago

I've learned a lot from the audios found at bit.ly/Grant-Writing-Audios Hope it helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Grant Professor in Windham, Maine

62 months ago

Kim had it right at the start. It's best to learn by doing if one wants to become a grant writer. Consistently seek feedback from professional peers and others before submitting a proposal. Always solicit reviewers' comments (from state and federal agencies) after a proposal has been reviewed; do so both if funded and if not funded. Study the comments, but realize other reviewers likely would have made other comments.... If you insist on reading rather than writing, then read widely; be aware that there are many books on grant writing, and many vendors of courses in the US and elsewhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

amailanda in Brooklyn, New York

42 months ago

CShack in Winnsboro, South Carolina said: Federal and State govt. offer classes for free. Do not do what I did and pay $1,000 for a class that once I became a proficient grant writer I realize was an awful class. Also, another hint become a grant reviewer for the Federal govt. They will pay you, train you and what you learn is better than any class. Almost all Govt. agencies advertise for peer grant reviewers.

Does anyone have more info on free classes?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

Connie in Winnsboro, South Carolina

42 months ago

You can look at all the Federal Govt.. state offices they usually have them on a calendar.. also look at the state govt offices like Department of Justice for your state they usually offer a class when they are giving money.. again all federal agencies need grant reviewers..they like to hire novices to refresh their data base.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Los Angeles, California

25 months ago

kimthejournalist in Washington, District of Columbia said: I see plenty of grant writing workshops offered in-person and online, and am just wondering if anyone has found such classes valuable (or worthless). To me, they kind of seem like those "mixologist/ bartender certification" courses, which are completely bogus. Is it better to learn on the job? Your thoughts are appreciated.

Working with the best The Grantsmanship Center. They've been training nonprofits since 1972 and their Program Planning and Proposal Writing booklet has become the gold standard for the nonprofit sector.

You do receive a certificate. Don't worry it is legitimate. See their website tgci.com for more information.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

KJ in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

23 months ago

buisnessjohn in Centreville, Virginia said: I have seen a number of schools or courses advertised online, but I'm not sure of their quality. I also think that experience itself goes a long way. I'll take quality experience over a certificate any day. Real life experience helps one to develop critical thinking skills. Class experience only doesn't seem to do that very well.

True...But the problem is, no one wants to hire you so you can get your foot in the door unless you've had the classroom experience or some sort of internship.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

dt in Memphis, Tennessee

21 months ago

I desire to learn grant writing get the certificate needed and then teach it to others. Can anyone give me some advise on how and where to get started doing this? I live in Tennessee.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

OhioWriter in Cleveland, Ohio

18 months ago

dscott21 in Gainesville, Florida said: can anyone give me some insight on grants in Florida? I am looking for information about what websites to visit for current grants, how to write them, etc.....any info would be greatly appreciated.

I noted that this was posted 53 months ago, but I hope you at least get this reply. Try with grants.gov first then check the state of Flordia's website for grants availability and there should be an organization in your city or state that supports/helps nonprofit organizations, they should offer classes on how to write grants.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.