Boom or bust?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Host

Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

Where are the jobs? Which places have the most graphic artist opportunities?

Reply - Report abuse

Coby Neill in Nixa, Missouri

81 months ago

This is a saturated business.
I would recommend other occupations before you take this one on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

barry in Saint Louis, Missouri

74 months ago

This is a very over-saturated market and looking to leave myself as job cut and pay cuts don't make it worth doing anymore.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Shannon in Lansing, Michigan

74 months ago

I think there are plenty of opportunities for growth in design right now. Graphic Design is so broad, you can do anything. As a recent college grad, I am learning that versatility is a must in this occupation. Designers who are flexible in web and print and even fine art are the most sought after candidates. I keep hearing (and noticing) that web design/programming is taking over the industry, but I think that print production is such a timeless field. Things made by hand are unforgettable. Nothing beats a well crafted card to make a lasting impression on someone.

Where are the jobs you ask? Seems to me the market fluctuates every week. Seattle, Chicago, San Francisco, Minneapolis...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Brett in Ann Arbor, Michigan

71 months ago

I need a super quick, super easy layout for a brochure. Please email me at:
aton_ra_1999@yahoo.com (East Lansing, Michigan) Thanks!

Brett

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Oce in Babson Park, Massachusetts

71 months ago

These days it seems like everyone and their brother is a 'graphic designer.' I agree with Shannon that you have to be versatile, to do whatever your client needs, but one way to stand out is to be phenomenal at one specific thing.

Pet in Liberty, New York

69 months ago

I know you don't know me but I am starting out in this field and I am not amazing at any one thing, but I learn quick. What my major problem is how to find the jobs for me. I am not looking for a miracle. I just want a job in my field. I want to work my way up. Please anyone have any advice for me.

kaber in Lancaster, Pennsylvania

69 months ago

Pet in Liberty, New York said: I know you don't know me but I am starting out in this field and I am not amazing at any one thing, but I learn quick. What my major problem is how to find the jobs for me. I am not looking for a miracle. I just want a job in my field. I want to work my way up. Please anyone have any advice for me.

First,I would say Practice and learn. Scour the net for tutorials, find out what it is you like to do most and what your good at. Develop a portfolio, join forums where you can show your work and get feedback and keep pushing yourself.

Second. Once you have a portfolio then start applying to jobs in your feild. If you know most of the programs used in the industry and can show you know at least one of the programs well, employers may be willing to train you in the rest. As for freelancing? Well, I'm still working on that one. Many sites require you pay a fee, others allow you to bid on a job. Sometimes you can come across people requesting work on forums and you can contact them directly. Sorry I can't be more help.

Frankierocks in Elizabeth, New Jersey

68 months ago

i would say bust. ive been trying to get a job ANY job for over a year and have gotten two interviews out of hundreds of applications.

experience has alot to do with it. youre basically dead in the water without experience in this industry. is what ive come to learn just through applying to jobs. most basic entry level positions ask for 2 years experience. it might not be for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.