anybody else at the verge of giving up?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 125)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

1102vita in Phoenix, Arizona

69 months ago

I got a BA in Advertising in 2006 and for a year, I looked for jobs related to my career with no luck. Between now and then, I have been working in retail to pay the bills and did a one year term as a Volunteer in Service to America. I am now back in the process of applying to jobs, but they are not advertising related. It is tough out there, but if this is something you are passionate about try other avenues to your goal. Have you tried working for a temp agency or building a free lance client base?
If you need money now, get a job related to other experiences you have outside of your education, even if that means retail, telemarketing or manual labor b/c it might be a while before you see money. Personally, I am no longer applying to jobs or internships related to my degree and contemplating my options so I can go back to school soon for something with better job outlooks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cupcakeninja in Astoria, New York

69 months ago

I graduated From the Art Institute Of Seattle (graphic Design) in 1997. I've gone through the Dot Com burst, 911, and now this horrible economical climate. I have to say this is the worst I have gone through. I currently reside in New York and am thinking of changing careers until the economy is better. You do what you have to to survive. I love graphic design, have had success with it, but have been out of work for a year. I suggest (if its possible) going back to school for more web relevant software/programing knowledge. Flash, Flex, Air etc... It's super depressing right now out there for the design field IMO.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

designer in Clinton Township, Michigan

69 months ago

I graduated in 2007 and have been having the same problem. I struggled to find an internship which was required for graduation, and haven't been able to find anything ever since. Two people in my program didn't even graduate on time because they couldn't find internships. Now it seems the only jobs available are ones I don't have the skills or experience for.

I'm considering going back to school and getting my masters in a completely different field for something "in demand" like accounting. I wanted to take courses in Flash, or computer programming, but I don't think it'll be worth it..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kej3030 in Houston, Texas

68 months ago

designer in Clinton Township, Michigan said: I graduated in 2007 and have been having the same problem. I struggled to find an internship which was required for graduation, and haven't been able to find anything ever since. Two people in my program didn't even graduate on time because they couldn't find internships. Now it seems the only jobs available are ones I don't have the skills or experience for.

I'm considering going back to school and getting my masters in a completely different field for something "in demand" like accounting. I wanted to take courses in Flash, or computer programming, but I don't think it'll be worth it..

Going back to school would be a good idea and in the meantime do some freelance to build up your portfolio.
If I was you I would go into MBA concentration Marketing b/c if all else fail you can do marketing/branding/design management/marketing director...you would be a good asset to the team b/c you know but the creative side and the business/marketing side. Plus when the economy gets better you should be almost out the door(graduating). I actually got my BFA in Broadcast Design, MA in Graphic Design and just finish my MBA in Marketing. While in school I worked part-time at a oil company as a marketing coordinator and I am designing and marketing. I just got hired on full -time. But I hope I did not rant on and on...just giving you an thought

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

kej3030 in Houston, Texas

68 months ago

Going back to school would be a good idea and in the meantime do some freelance to build up your portfolio.
If I was you I would go into MBA concentration Marketing b/c if all else fail you can do marketing/branding/design management/marketing director...you would be a good asset to the team b/c you know but the creative side and the business/marketing side. Plus when the economy gets better you should be almost out the door(graduating). I actually got my BFA in Broadcast Design, MA in Graphic Design and just finish my MBA in Marketing. While in school I worked part-time at a oil company as a marketing coordinator and I am designing and marketing. I just got hired on full -time. But I hope I did not rant on and on...just giving you an thought

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Portsmouth, Ohio

67 months ago

Have you ever tried looking for freelance work online? You can find some graphic design work here and its free to sign up!
Try this one
www.getafreelancer.com/affiliates/Alektorophobia/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

damianicus in Louisville, Kentucky

67 months ago

First off Guru.com sucks. People expect to pay chicken feed for graphic design services. $50 logos. $100 to design a car wrap. $200 for a brochure. You will end up making $2/hour. There are better sites like eLance.

On finding a job. Go web design: Flash, Dreamweaver, etc. Or expect to work in the Pharmaceutical biz. That's who's hiring right now. I'm a print/tv creative director with 15 years experience and there just aren't any jobs right now for non-web non-pharma creatives.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Williamsmith40258 in Louisville, Kentucky

67 months ago

Perhaps going about learning to do all kinds of programming and starting a business would be a better way to go about this. Especially if you can do web pages, hosting, graphics, e commerce, good money in that if you have the skills and background to do this. That way you're so vulnerable to the corporate ax and all of that. Find ways to utilize your own skills and maximize your talents and earning potential

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

ArtistM in Nashua, New Hampshire

67 months ago

FrankieBoulders in Elizabeth, New Jersey said: i graduated with a degree in graphic design in the beginning of 2007. went to school on and off for advertising through 2007. since the beginning of the year ive been heavily seeking a job in the design field and the furthest ive gotten is a couple of interviews and an 'internship' that lasted a week.

am i not cut out for this? if im not im ok with that. i would ATLEAST want to actually get a job and realize that myself rather then not getting the chance in the first place...

is the industry really this bad right now? is anybody else facing anything similar?

I have been a graphic designer for over 30 years and this is the first time that I've been totally without work and can't pay my bills. I've had my own business and since November of last year everything has dried up. Hopefully things will pick up because I am at my wit's end! Good luck to you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Williamsmith40258 in Louisville, Kentucky

67 months ago

Its not time to give up folks but its time to point the fingers at the people who have created this mess, our Congress and President prior to 2009. They really messed this country up and thats why we have a job problem here now and a myriad of economic problems. Its time to start exposing those people and your local officials regarding why they have gotten away with not doing their jobs for years. Which is why we have massive job losses, unemployment, etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

spaulikc@yahoo.com in Kansas City, Missouri

66 months ago

I worked for a major corporation here in Kansas City, Mo as a designer and a production artist and have not had any real success finding a job either. I've been out of work now, going on 2 years. I am thinking of getting a teaching certificate in art-K-12.......any thoughts out there?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mindchemistrydotcom in Phoenix, Arizona

65 months ago

My company offers internships, job placement assistance, and resume marketing. View my profile on how to contact me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mindchemistrydotcom in Phoenix, Arizona

65 months ago

Other technology areas: Microsoft .Net, SQL Server, Silverlight, SharePoint, Commerce Server, Biztalk, Visual C++

Career paths include: Software Developer, Business Analyst, Technical Writer, XML Data Architect, Marketing Researcher, Database Administrator, Software Architect, Game Designer, Game Developer, Game Writer, Web Designer, Sketch Artist, 3D Modeling Artist, Graphic Artist, User Interface Designer

sbump in Winston Salem, North Carolina

65 months ago

Don't be too upset - I have over 22 years of graphic design in print and video. I know Illustrator, Photoshop, Indesign, Quark, After Effects, SoftImage 3D, Cinema 4D and many others... And after 3 weeks of exhaustive searching it appears that I'll be working behind the counter of the local quick-E-mart.

emdee in Advance, North Carolina

65 months ago

If your location is like mine, it's not what you know but who you know. I'm going back to school for a career change. Most everything I've done in the "commercial art" field lately is not really even worth the trouble to cross the street for. No money, no future. Sorry to be so negative, but that's pretty mush the way it lays.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

sbump in Winston Salem, North Carolina said: Don't be too upset - I have over 22 years of graphic design in print and video. I know Illustrator, Photoshop, Indesign, Quark, After Effects, SoftImage 3D, Cinema 4D and many others... And after 3 weeks of exhaustive searching it appears that I'll be working behind the counter of the local quick-E-mart.

Try being out of work for almost two years, except for some dinky little freelance projects here and there. I'm glad I have saved my money, that's all I can say. Anyway, I am in sympathy with your plight; it is good to know that I am not the only commercial artist struggling here. Winston-Salem-"the City of the Arts". I don't know whether to laugh or cry. If you're a doctor or lawyer, I'm sure it's awesome. If you're not, you might as well live in a cave somewhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

spaulikc@yahoo.com in Kansas City, Missouri said: I worked for a major corporation here in Kansas City, Mo as a designer and a production artist and have not had any real success finding a job either. I've been out of work now, going on 2 years. I am thinking of getting a teaching certificate in art-K-12.......any thoughts out there?

That could be a good move, unless your state is like mine and laying teachers off. I've been in the commercial art business for years, and I can relate. I've been out of full-time work for two years, also. I'm going back to school for a paralegal degree. Don't know if it's really "me", but I've made pretty good grades so far. I'd love to remain in the commercial art game, but when nobody's buying what you're selling, what do you do? Good luck.

gretassister in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

63 months ago

I graduated in December with an Associates Degree in Graphic Design. I've had one interview. i'm noy giving up though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sbump in Winston Salem, North Carolina

62 months ago

sbump in Winston Salem, North Carolina said: Don't be too upset - I have over 22 years of graphic design in print and video. I know Illustrator, Photoshop, Indesign, Quark, After Effects, SoftImage 3D, Cinema 4D and many others... And after 3 weeks of exhaustive searching it appears that I'll be working behind the counter of the local quick-E-mart.

UPDATE: Here it is almost at the 4 month mark and STILL nothing... I can't even find a job as a truck driver or kitchen worker...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

designer in Clinton Township, Michigan said: I graduated in 2007 and have been having the same problem. I struggled to find an internship which was required for graduation, and haven't been able to find anything ever since. Two people in my program didn't even graduate on time because they couldn't find internships. Now it seems the only jobs available are ones I don't have the skills or experience for.

If you have a facility for numbers, I'd suggest accounting. It's a great field, and very practical and lucrative, unlike the "arts" fields. You will also receive respect, another thing that is not readily given to artists. Young people, avoid "art" like the plague. This is America, the land of Nascar, reality television, and cage fightin'. Nobody cares about "art". Just tellin' it like it is~

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

riddle80 in Nashville, Tennessee

61 months ago

I've been a designer for the past 6 years. The last company I worked for went out of business last year and I decided to go freelance full time after that was over (had been p/t freelancing for about a year before that). I've been under bid on almost every opportunity I've came across (literally hundreds down the drain), and my income has been well below poverty level. Companies are so price driven now a days, and there are so many talented designers working for peanuts I don't see how it's possible to make a comfortable living on print design alone. I've lowered my rate as low as I can possibly go, yet there's still plenty going lower.

The past few months I've been seeking a full time graphic design job (they are few and far between), but seems like you have to know web design and print design for every job I've seen. Competition is fierce too! I've applied for quite a few, but no replies yet. I agree it really helps to know people and get referred to land a good job.

I'm planning to hop on Lynda.com and try to learn web design (I only know the basics now). I'm hoping that's my missing link. I'm going to try cleaning houses in the mean time to try and get some $ coming in. This market is tough right now, and there are so many people in this boat. You've just got to keep your head up and do your best to succeed.

As for guru.com, I joined but the quotes people give on there are ridiculous. I can't compete with $15/hr freelance rates! That might be a good place to start if you're fresh out of college and looking to build your portfolio, but not for serious professionals. Just my 2 cents :).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

I can relate to your plight. I was told a few days ago by one company that all they could give me was $10 an hour. I think even beginning graphic designers get more than that. I would have to commute there, too. So, I'm thinking it's probably not worth it. I told them I'd like to interview with them anyway, but they have not called me back.

Web design is so competitive now it is hard to justify spending the time it would take to learn how to do it, and unless you are some kind of programmer, it is not that lucrative either. I know the basics, too, but I may check out this Lynda.com and see what they are about. We just gotta keep living from day to day, I guess, and live for the day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

joker in Clearwater, Florida

61 months ago

i had to put my 2 cents in i am a old school artist and was put out of business by the technoligy that you guys paid to learn and
now you are where i landed 10 years ago.
i have been a commercial artist for 30 years at one point had 8 other artists working for me sold millions of dollars worth of art
never really worried about the money thing.
along comes technology and puff it was gone and in the last 2 years i have not done 10 jobs.
it looks to me that its not how you do it computer or not art is not hot as it was back in the day.
from where i sit art is about timing when we have double digit unemployment people arent focused on polishing there image with some well placed art work, but settling for whatever clipart they can pilfur off of the internet.
just one more thing the best year i ever had was 1.5 million that sounds impresive doesnt it ?
here is the truth about that year i made in personal income 150 thousand dollars, 10% profit margin whipped my ass.
you dont get more than 10% untill you make over 5 million 25% after 10 million so says my financial analysist.
doesnt really seem worth the headaches does it ?
AMERICA the most expensive place in the world to run a business

61 months ago

I'm old school, too, I learned paleolithic functions such as type spec, amber lith cutting, and wax paste-up. Back in the day, you had to be at least a fairly talented manual craftsman, if not an artist, to be in the graphic design field. Now, anyone who knows a bit of Adobe Creative Suite is suddenly an "artist". I went through 4 years of college that are now pretty much a total waste of money and time. I never had so much of a problem with learning some of the graphic design computer applications, what I have a problem with is the constant (expensive) jumping through the hoops, i.e."upgrades", learning web design (it is way competitive, there's a steep learning curve, and when you learn it will you even get a job, anyway). If I knew it would be worth the time, trouble and money, it would be one thing, but I think we know the answer to that.

Somebody told me the other day that a job I was applying for paid $10 an hour. I think I was making that 25 years ago.
The situation is getting more and more like a tragicomic nightmare. And I can't wake up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

it seems that all of the creative jobs arent based on creativity but the ability to locate and minipulate clipart.
i have had people look at somthing i have created and say that would be faster in photoshop, my response is still the same i dont need a computer to create that.
there is nothing wrong with technoligy, however when deminishing
of personal talent is started you cant stop it, there will always be someone who will do it cheaper.
when you create art with your hands it is all based on ability and
talent and that is what keeps other people from doing what you are capable of.
oh yes love those upgrades and new software that outdates the last
faster, more memory, upgrade, faster more memory, upgrade, faster,
more memory, upgrade.
WHERE DOES IT END ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Another issue now is that people want you to know InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Flash, Java, sometimes Quark, Word, Excel and Powerpoint, too, for maybe around $28,000 a year. No thanks. I'm in paralegal training now, hopefully that will pan out better, although now I am realizing I probably should just go to nursing school. That is a profession that you are pretty much guaranteed a job, regardless. The "graphic art" racket nowadays is good for high school or college kids living at home with Mom and Dad. Plus, they are more likely to have the silly faux "hipster" look that so many ad agencies are so impressed by now, i.e. tight black clothes, funny hair, and big belt buckles. It's all image. If you are older than about 35, most ad agencies will not acknowledge you whatsoever, unless you know somebody there, of course. Janitorial mop and broom, here I come!!

61 months ago

One other thing I would like to add: If you are a talented manual freehand artist, that is actually a big disadvantage nowadays. Of course, I know you've probably figured that out. I think more and more people that can actually do something with their hands are getting fed up and dropping out. I'm getting to where I'd just like to do something fairly simple for a day job, and do my artwork on my own time for myself only.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

wow that is a dose of reality from someone that sounds like they have been there.
seems like your better off on one hand to be good at remembering things,
on the other hand know that when the new upgrade comes out you need to forget the old and start the process over.
i think that would lead to a very stressful existence. as if life wasnt stressful enough, and for all that stress and thinking
your knocking down under 30,000 ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dominic in Dublin, Ireland

61 months ago

I have been a graphic/web designer since i finished collage in 1995, but i am now almost 40 years old and was thinking about doing a Marketing BA. I still have a job in design but i'm starting to find it alittle harder each time i look for work (pay grade and age) I was wondering if anyone has any advice on this type of career change...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Watcher in Boise, Idaho

61 months ago

I earned my B.F.A. in Ad Design in 1994. I earned an M.B.A. in 2001. I have over 15 years of experience in graphic design. I was laid off and I’ve been out of work since Feb. 2009.

It’s the economy folks. It’s the fundamental breakdown of the global monetary system. 48 of 50 states are bankrupt. California has been printing IOUs since June. As the end of September approaches, you will find out that all 50 states are bankrupt. This is because the fiscal budgets of the federal and state governments will be released.

It’s really pointless to blame any particular party. Both are at fault. Both have ignored the warning signs. Both have lived in their happy little fantasyland hoping it will all just go away.

My advice is that you fill your pantries with dry and canned goods. Also, if you can you should stock up on ammo so you can protect yourself and your family when the riots start. Especially if you live in a big city run by liberals.

In case you don’t believe me, educate yourselves: larouchepac.com larouchepub.com market-ticker.org

Forewarned is forearmed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

I agree, it is the economy. Or, a lot of the problem stems from this. But, I guess maybe it's me, too.I've decided it must be. Have any of you ever had this problem? You write a decent cover letter and enclose your resume, send it to a local advertising agency, just to receive absolutely no response. Nada. Zilch. For the life of me I cannot understand why someone cannot take about 30 seconds of their precious time and just e-mail me back to say "Thank you for your interest, but we are not hiring now," or "Thank you for your interest, but we feel that you would not be a viable candidate for a position here". That took me less than 30 seconds to type. Is it not just showing common politeness and consideration to give someone an answer, whether it be in the affirmative or negative? No one owes me a job, but I do expect a little solicitude when I've taken the time to show some interest in your company. I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts concerning this matter. Thanks, everyone.

61 months ago

just for everyones mental well being it is not about what we are or are not doing.
if it were within our power this would not be happening could we agree ? i just read today that 41 states are preparing to file bankruptcy yes i said states google it just for your own peice of mind. houses are being foreclosed on more than ever in history over 10% unemployment it is not just about art.
so do what you have to do for now and when the economy levels out we can pursue our carrers in art.
until then keep in tune with your ability.
the reason peope arent returning you emails for employment can be assumed at this point and your assumption would be correct.
its not because they think your inferior in any way shape or form
but could be they are in fear of loosing there job that is probably on the chopping block as well.
or here is one that is better the person who is supposed to return your email lost there job 8 months ago.

good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

melobickhem@yahoo.com in Waukegan, Illinois

61 months ago

spaulikc@yahoo.com in Kansas City, Missouri said: I worked for a major corporation here in Kansas City, Mo as a designer and a production artist and have not had any real success finding a job either. I've been out of work now, going on 2 years. I am thinking of getting a teaching certificate in art-K-12.......any thoughts out there?

I think your idea is a very good one. If you can do it, get your teaching certificate and art endorsement. I was laid off and decided to withdraw from going after my Masters to teach elementary school because of the big debt I started to incur. I love to write poetry and song lyrics, have not painted (self taught) or drawn in over 10 years. I want to take on educational courses that reflect my natural talents and want to take classes that I can land a good and good paying job in and not be bored and frustrated. Pray for yourself. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Pam in Des Plaines, Illinois

61 months ago

I've been in the business for over 35 years. I started out as a typesetter/paste-up person, and have had to learn trapping, design along with all the Mac programs. The last time I got paid $10/hour was in 1984! Since the 1990's I keep getting laid off and it takes longer and longer to get a job. My salary peaked in 2000 and it keeps getting less and less. I'm also thinking of changing careers. The printing business keeps expecting you to do more and for less money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

That's why I'm trying to change careers, Pam. At our age we are at a distinct disadvantage in this business. Young and trendy is what they all want. They will never admit it, but it is the truth. Good luck with your possible career change; you may be better off.

I would also like to know if anyone else out there that is good with working with their hands has totally dropped out. A guy I used to work with now just washes dishes in a small-town restaurant, and seems pretty happy doing it. He used to be in the graphic arts field, but decided to chuck it. Not a bad idea, in my opinion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

i for one feel i found the answer
you must have 1 job that is based on making money then you have a job that is based on love [[ art ]]
here is the advantage if you dont have love work that you can do
then your focus stays on the money job.
sounds like 2 part time jobs yes it is.
the best part is you dont have to spend time doing art jobs that you dont want to do, but do just to pay the bills.
now if you work as a freelance artist the pay is better and this way affords you the opportunity to be selective about what you will or will not do.
i am an artist first and foremost and willing to work hard for good money but not discount art work.
my perimeters are as follows
artwork 200.00 per hour
marine mechanic 100.00 per hour
if you dont want to pay my price for art well you must not be able to afford it, i guess i will just have to settle for 800.00 per day.
the way i do things is based on one word LEVERAGE we all need it
no matter what we have to do to get it.
if all i do is art i will have to settle for less than 200.00 per hour in this economy.
but you tell someone 100.00 per hour to work on there boat and they all say the same thing WHEN CAN YOU START.

PERSPECTIVE USE IT OR LOOSE IT

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

monicenfungirl in Jefferson City, Missouri

60 months ago

Reading all of this is making me so sad. I've been a Graphic Designer for over 20 years. I worked my way up to a pretty good gig with the Government. A couple of weeks ago I got "the letter" that I'm laid off at the end of the month due to budget cuts. I'm a single Mom in an area with no jobs, a mortgage and a total loss of benefits. I guess I was living in a fantasy land where if you work hard and are good at your job, everything will be dandy. I'm considering getting into a dislocated worker program (well if the gov. doesn't cut that too) for retraining. But I don't see how that's even going to help. Should I extend upon my knowledge and experience or dump it all and do something else, whatever that might be? Best of luck to everyone!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Achieve in San Marcos, California

60 months ago

gretassister in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: I graduated in December with an Associates Degree in Graphic Design. I've had one interview. i'm noy giving up though.

good

Pam in Lombard, Illinois

60 months ago

I'm looking into becoming a medical records technician. I don't think it will be that much money, but it's better than the pay for washing dishes. The problem is that I will only be able to go to school part time so by the time I'm done I will be a few years away from medicare? Luckily I'm on my husband's health insurance policy at his employer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Josh B, in Mundelein, Illinois

57 months ago

I've been unemployed since January 15th, 2009. I graduated with a B.F.A. in Graphic Design in September of 2007. I'm only 26, and I have applied to AT LEAST 150 jobs since literally the day after I was let go. It has now almost 1 year, and I have had only 4 interviews in all that time, with 2 being narrowed down to me and one other person. Both those times was against someone with CONSIDERABLY more experience than myself (one with 15 years, the other with 24 years). Both times they picked the more-experienced/older candidate. I'm pretty sure I know the reason, too -- the more-senior person was willing to suck it up and take the same salary I was wanting, as they can't find a job either. This pattern pushes down further the salary us recent-graduates can expect to make. I am sick of being offered $10/hr to be the company slave who has to know everything that USED to be multiple separate positions! "Graphic Designer" has become a catch-all for web and print design, advertising, marketing, secretary and administrative assistant (MS Office), coder and developer, and even IT and more.

I am stuck in the hardest area -- not quite Intern, and not quite Senior. It seems like that is all anyone wants to hire nowadays -- kids in college or JUST graduated that are willing to work for free (interns), or Senior positions with 5+ years experience. I'm in the middle area that no one wants, with just about ~2 years experience. I've become so depressed and my outlook on life has taken a turn for the worse. I've been into design since first trying Photoshop v3 back in the mid-90's, and literally taught my High School "Digital Imaging" 1 & 2 classes. I know my stuff for sure, but I am not even given a chance! As someone else stated earlier, after spending time writing customized cover letters, you don't even get a simple rejection email or call!

I'm this close to giving up... :o(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Believe me, I understand your predicament. I have been unemployed for over two years. I think that if you are over the age of 50, experience does not matter, they just don't want you. Combine this with the worst economical situation since the Great Depression, and you have a vile concoction, indeed. I imagine the people you are saying have several years of experience are maybe in their late 30s at the oldest. They have just enough youth left in them to possibly have some energy to deal with last minute projects at 4:55 in the evening that are due the first thing the next day.

At least you are young enough to start over if you have to; it's not so easy for me, although I've been trying. Hiring managers have the attitude now of, "Don't be too young, but don't be too old, either, that's even worse." It is a buyer's market now. Totally.

Good luck, I think you'll land something eventually.

lindahobbs64 in Colorado Springs, Colorado

57 months ago

I too feel your pain. I've got a BA in Sociology! That's Latin for "No One Will Hire You EVER EVER EVER!" I'm 47 years old, and am willing to work anywhere -- Wally World, Taco Smell, Fish Squeezing ... but the jobs just aren't there.

Elliott in New York, New York

57 months ago

Feel everyone's pain. Laid off for 9 months now, have only received 2 responses for employment, without any follow through. I've sent out 100s of resumes, making sure that I only send to positions that I am qualified for. My resume is 100% honest, and shows that I am very capable of any job I apply for.

Many of the positions aren't real, they are placeholders for resume collectors. That is my opinion. I do not believe there can be an abundance of positions that someone is paid to post, while that same person doesn't have 30 seconds to respond.

I think we need government regulation over employer agencies, or some hand over how the hiring process works, to make sure people like us aren't being discriminated due to age, race, or sex. Also to make sure that any job posted is an actual position, and the poster is responsible for filling that position asap with the correct person.

Anyway, graphic design has become taken over by programmers, and hipsters working for low rates. Classic talent is ignored. I have 10 years experience with one company, worked my way from 35000 to over 100000. The company laid me off with no option to move within the company, even after I offered to work for 30000. This is after 2 years of unnecessary hires of people that learned on the job and were incompetent without training from us experienced employees.

Last if the economy were an issue, higher-ups making 200-400K should be the one taking a pay cut. We like to throw the "economy" work around, but what we fail to realize is that it opens up the possibility of employers laying you off to protect their own paycheck. Laying you off for no reason at all, now that we have created this economic excuse. What a convenient way to give tons of power to employers. Think about that when you apply for your job and wait months for a response.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

That is a very good post, I could not agree more. And I cannot see why human resources people can't give you a simple 30-second yes or no response to your resume or queries. That's a sticking point with me, for sure.

I'm just a dumb country guy, all I ever wanted to do was just draw and work with my hands. Now I am studying to be a paralegal (more "practical" than art, or so I'm told) and having to take courses like keyboarding, in which I have no interest at all. The law courses are OK, they can even be kind of fascinating. Science always interested me as a kid, but when your math grades are horrendous, you can't go very far in that profession.

Anyway, you are correct that employers now can basically use any excuse to terminate people, like blaming it on the "economy". Yeah, right. I think I was laid off because they were tired of looking at me. And the hipsters and programmers are going to work in one place for a few months, get a little more experience, and move on. I know, I've seen it. I may suck in many ways but at least I'm not just loyal to the almighty dollar.

Good luck out there, everybody!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

^^ Hey there endee.

You are a better man than I am, I have no desire to change into a completely different field, I'm having enough issue trying to move around within the design field. Good luck. I've never found a board where I pretty much agree and feel for everyone.

I can't stress enough to call anyone that you've worked with and ask around. Just ask to use them as references, and if they are good people, they will look into jobs for you. I may have a toe in the door as of yesterday, however I am taking a direct approach. I am dropping off a resume directly to the exec VP of a large company, simply because I was able to mention the name of my previous exec VP... they happen to be friends.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Damron Ware in Martin, Tennessee

56 months ago

Apply to college universities, departments are always looking for tech-savvy designers to manage web content and build electronic newsletters, thats where I'm riding out the recession, the pays decent but state college benefits packages are unbeatable. There is record enrollments at these campuses every year. Colleges are making..... MONEY!!

56 months ago

I had an idea, If there are a dozen or so of fine artists here, why not put our heads together and promote as a group. I work in the fashion textile industry and there are vendors that sell handmade paintings, drawings, computer art as textiles for apparel. These prints are called swatches, and they generally go for $300-$500 per swatch, when selling to major brands. A website with 100s to 1000s of prints might gain some attention, if advertised to the proper channels. The work could be done at home, scan it in, upload it, watermark it, and allow companies to search a database. Etc, etc. All it takes are serious individuals willing to put in work.

56 months ago

that sounds like a great idea where can we find examples of
swatches that have been purchased ?
i wouldnt have a problem investing some time for the hope of making
some doe

56 months ago

joker in Clearwater, Florida said: that sounds like a great idea where can we find examples of
swatches that have been purchased ?
i wouldnt have a problem investing some time for the hope of making
some doe
designworks and printtex are examples of services that sell textile prints to apparel companies. You could check to see if they are hiring.

jan2284 in Toronto, Ontario

55 months ago

I have been a graphic designer for over 20 years. I also learned all those outdated skills like cutting film and waxing type. I got laid off in 2005, had a temporary job for 2 months in 2006 and have had nothing since then. I know all the Adobe programs like Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign, but almost every job I see now they only want web designers. I tried taking a couple of courses (HTML programming and Flash) but they were just introductory courses and I still don't know enough to get a job in web design. I wanted to take more courses but I ran out of money. I also can't do freelance work because my computer is too old and way too slow. I've had 6 interviews in the last 3 years but didn't even come close to getting a job offer. Most of the jobs I see on-line are ones that I don't have the skills for or they only pay $10 an hour! I've also seen jobs where you have to speak Chinese or Spanish! As far as I know the official languages in Canada are English and French. My husband is a truck driver and he is having trouble finding a job, too. The U.S. isn't the only country where the economy is bad. It is just as bad here in Canada.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.