Can having Visible Tattoos really hinder your job opportuinities?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (44)

Bob McBiff in Vassalboro, Maine

70 months ago

If you're worried about it, then DON'T GET ONE!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (64) Reply - Report abuse

cheeze in Wilmington, Delaware

70 months ago

I am a DR. and i feel that you should feel good at all times. as long as you hurt no others

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (50) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

lauren in Brockway, Pennsylvania

63 months ago

How do tattoos make someone dirty? There are many people with beautiful artwork on them. Don't listen to these 60's stereotypical attitudes. Tattoos are mainstream, and people who don't know the workings of legitimate tattoo shops are willing to batter them. If tattoos are dirty, so is make-up, pantyhose, hair gels, hair coloring, anything artificial. I understand pantyhose can be taken off, as well as makeup and a hairstyle, but you are also creating an artform in doing these acts.

Do what makes you feel good about yourself, and good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (85) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

rwalker79 in Indianapolis, Indiana

62 months ago

Make you look cheap! Are you serious!! Some people obviously don't know how much a tattoo costs. It's not cheap. If the school would prefer you to cover up your tattoo at least you already have a solution. A bracelet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (28) Reply - Report abuse

gnosticgirl in Sligo, Ireland

62 months ago

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida said: You're a doctor, huh? Extremely unlikely. Doctors don't waste their time on Indeed forums - nor do they make general statements that sound stupid.

God, some of you Americans really know how to make yourselves sound stupid. Why on earth would you assume that doctors don't 'waste their time' on forums - forums are a totally valid form of social communication. And if it's a waste of time, why are you here? Also, how can it sounds stupid to advise someone to try to feel good and not hurt others?

What sounds stupid is all these crazy judgemental conservative people telling you you'll look 'dirty'. If you want a nice tattoo and can cover it up with a bracelet, why not just go ahead and get it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

blahh in Glendale, Arizona

62 months ago

Are you kidding me? Tattos are not cheap, nor do they make one look dirty. I have one and am planning on getting many many more, tattoos are not for anyone else to make an opinion on. If you want to get one you certainly should. Tattoos express creativity. They do not hurt others. I am a high school student and I would much rather my teachers and counselers be covered in tattoos, than molest my peers, be heavy drinkers or drug addicts. Tattoos do not harm others. If you get something that you want and means something to you thats all that matters.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

pixiebaby9 in Mandeville, Louisiana

58 months ago

dukes in Wilmington, Delaware said: makes you look cheap!! dirty not at all like a person i would like to evaluate my sainty

your a idiot!!!! haing tats dont make ou dirty you fool

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

taylorcuhh in Saint Augustine, Florida

52 months ago

uhh.. tattos arent cheap.. i only have one right now but im about to get more once i turn 18 haha.. but tattoos aint cheap or "dirty" lookin i have a cross on my arm which cost me $180.00 there not cheap.. i honestly think tattoos are cool there a form of art... if you want a tattoo id say go and do it my tattoo hasnt affected me in any way and it is very visible even with a shirt on because it sticks out.. so dont worry about it go get it done. and for the stereo types yaw need to quit it dont make any sense sayin there dirty or whatever because they aint or there cheap i mean some people have wonderful lookin ink that costs more then your car...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

MidwestGirl in Minneapolis, Minnesota

49 months ago

Hey there - I work in recruiting and I have tattoos - Each organization is different, some have no-visible tattoo policies others don't. It’s great that you're thinking about how a tattoo might affect future employment prospects, especially in this economy but don't let that get in the way of doing something for you. Heck, it's not like you're getting an obscene tattoo on your forehead.

I agree with Christine about covering them for your interview. Unfortunately, I've seen otherwise awesome candidates getting passed over because of their tats. Companies want you to be an extension of their brand and many feel tattoos can have a negative impact. I don't agree with this train of thought, but that's life. That said definitely wait to ask about their tattoo policy after you get the job.

The company I work for just recently created a no-visible tattoo policy. Needless to say, I had to scramble to find solutions to cover mine up. I ordered lots of stuff over the internet. What worked best for me is the tattoo cover sleeves and makeup from a company called Tat2X.com Don't waste your money on the other crap.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Justaguy in Saint Paul, Minnesota

44 months ago

Well I have a full sleeve and half and in 7 years of professional work in human services I've never had a problem with employers making an issue of my tattoos. I think as long as what you're planning to get isn't offensive and can be covered if need be, you're doing all you really need to do to help ensure future employment.

Of course, go to your interview with your tattoos covered up. If you get the job, look in the company handbook, or ask if one doesn't exist, to find out what their tattoo policy is. Whatever it is, you'll have to live with it.

You could die tomorrow, so with reasonable judgement, live your life as you wish today.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

VB in Odessa, Delaware

41 months ago

Cherri Molzahn in Millersville, Pennsylvania said: is it really worth the pain? and then you have to ask your self,what if the tat. dude had a dirty needle!!Pain or Gain? It's not rocket science

Really Cheri- Could you be any less helpful? Dirty needles within the tattoo industry are few and far between. Tattooists and shop owners take pride in the the industry and for the most part (because like anything), you will find tattoo shops more sterilized then your general practitioners office. So before you continue to push ridiculous social-stigmaed rumors along, how about educating yourself before making said statements. Shouldn't that be your goal in life as an educator?

And just because I'm calling you out does not in anyway constitute clicking on "report abuse". I am not being abusive- just forcing you to be accountable for the things u say.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sunshine in Peoria, Arizona

34 months ago

Consider getting your tattoo somewhere else where it is easy to hide but also easy to show when your not interviewing and all that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

recovery2erhab in Phoenix, Arizona

34 months ago

Emily Molzahn in Shippensburg, Pennsylvania said: I really want to get a small tattoo on my wrist, one that i could cover up with a braclett if i needed to. I am worried that I will have trouble getting hired if they happen to see my tat. Does anyone know if there is a specific dress code that states no visible tattoos or if a lot of school really frown upon their Counselors having tattoos?

Would you guide your clients to tattoo their skin? Whose got money for this kind of junk? You are to be a guide, not perfect but disciplined.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Tk in Auburn, Georgia

34 months ago

cheri molzahn in Lancaster, Pennsylvania said: they better not see your'e tat.

Good thing "you're" not applying for a position in a school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Bill in Kansas City, Missouri

34 months ago

I wouldn't hire anyone with a tat and would fire anyone if I found they had one...people with tats are nothing but trouble

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (85) Reply - Report abuse

glory7868 in Las Vegas, Nevada

33 months ago

rwalker79 in Indianapolis, Indiana said: Make you look cheap! Are you serious!! Some people obviously don't know how much a tattoo costs. It's not cheap. If the school would prefer you to cover up your tattoo at least you already have a solution. A bracelet.

I believe the " Make you look cheap" comment had nothing to do with how much money you have, or would spend on a tattoo.
Think about it...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Courtney in North Olmsted, Ohio

33 months ago

ap in Fort Wayne, Indiana said: If God had wanted us to have drawings on our body he would of created us with them. You are already a beautiful person without the ink.

Some dont believe in god so quit pushing ur beliefs on ppl. and if "god" didnt want us to do it then why do we have the tool to do so?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

JFIN in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

33 months ago

what the hell is god?
be yourself and enjoy life while you can. i have a full back piece cost $4,500.00 not including everything else, so idk how there cheap but. to be completely honest 95% of jobs dont care anymore. just dont get your face tatt'd

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

martin in Quezon City, Philippines

30 months ago

Bill in Kansas City, Missouri said: I wouldn't hire anyone with a tat and would fire anyone if I found they had one...people with tats are nothing but trouble

wtf? u thnk people wth tats are trouble makers or criminals? i have a tat and i thnk im a prty good guy so if u thnk thts the case its ok wth me bt for me i rly dnt thnk wat ur saying is true

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jude L in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

30 months ago

There are some who may judge and be biased about tattoos or piercings..nothing you can do about it. But, if you really are worried about this, better not get one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

educator in Saint Stephen, New Brunswick

28 months ago

Bill in Kansas City, Missouri said: I wouldn't hire anyone with a tat and would fire anyone if I found they had one...people with tats are nothing but trouble

That is the most ridiculous statement I cant think of. Prejudice and discrimination as an employer is illegal and also very "old school". Open minded, tattooed people are better than close minded dicks like you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Geoff in Birmingham, United Kingdom

28 months ago

Its your skin part of your body one and one only why waste it with dirty drawings get a piece of paper. "They're not dirty, trampy or cheap, Me thinks just trying to kid themselves

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Dog_Guy in Kansas City, Missouri

27 months ago

Although not usually spoken, there's a rather large stigma with tats, If I had one, i wouldn't show it and basically I would get rid of it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Justme in Seffner, Florida

19 months ago

gnosticgirl in Sligo, Ireland said: God, some of you Americans really know how to make yourselves sound stupid. Why on earth would you assume that doctors don't 'waste their time' on forums - forums are a totally valid form of social communication . And if it's a waste of time, why are you here? Also, how can it sounds stupid to advise someone to try to feel good and not hurt others?

What sounds stupid is all these crazy judgemental conservative people telling you you'll look 'dirty'. If you want a nice tattoo and can cover it up with a bracelet, why not just go ahead and get it?

You tattoo people crack me up. You obviously get those things to be noticed. Do you honestly think that everyone will just like your tattoos? I have a right not to like tattoos, just like I do not like dresses on men. You see how that works. I only hire people that have non visible tattoos. That is my right to make as much profits as I can and tattoos hurt my business profits. I do not care how much money they cost, I think they look low class and that is my right to think that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Justme in Seffner, Florida

19 months ago

educator in Saint Stephen, New Brunswick said: That is the most ridiculous statement I cant think of. Prejudice and discrimination as an employer is illegal and also very "old school". Open minded, tattooed people are better than close minded dicks like you.

Tell that to my clients. Tattoos are appearance. I would not hire someone with body odor or someone that wears ripped jeans to an interview. Think about it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

HigherEd in Albany, New York

19 months ago

I don't have a problem with someone having a tattoo as long as it's not visible in the workplace. However, if you have a tattoo on your neck, head, face, etc. there is no way that I'm considering you for a job. In my opinion, it just demonstrates to me that this person is someone with a VERY different set of values/priorities/decision making skills than what I think is appropriate for my workplace. Maybe someday that will change, but for the present and foreseeable future, I highly advise people to keep their tattoos discrete (hidden) if they intend to work in a professional environment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

19 months ago

Personally, I don't have any tattoos but they are becoming more and more popular and accepted in the workplace.

I was at the Dept of Labor the other day and a number of the reps had tattoos.

HigherEd,

"You state maybe someday that will change...." I think it is changing now with younger bosses in the workplace now who are comfortable with tattoos because they have grown up in that environment and thus are hiring people like themselves.

Years ago tattoos were associated with bad people...bikers and criminals. But now it's more mainstream.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

19 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: Personally, I don't have any tattoos but they are becoming more and more popular and accepted in the workplace.

HigherEd,

"You state maybe someday that will change...." I think it is changing now with younger bosses in the workplace now who are comfortable with tattoos because they have grown up in that environment and thus are hiring people like themselves.

Years ago tattoos were associated with bad people...bikers and criminals. But now it's more mainstream.

Now having wrote what I wrote above I do believe it's probably best to cover them up when going out on interviews.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

HigherEd in Albany, New York

19 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: Personally, I don't have any tattoos but they are becoming more and more popular and accepted in the workplace.

HigherEd,

I'm actually in my 30's and yes I have grown up with tattoos, and they have become more "mainstream". I don't like tattoos personally, but professionally, what I can't see is none of my business, and that is why I'm just calling out above the shoulders tattoos, and maybe forearms which are easier to hide for men than women.

Most of the folks I've known who got them, chose to get them in discrete places. I have never known anyone who had a tattoo above the shoulders and if I ever meet someone who does, I would be interested to ask them what prompted them to choose such a conspicuous location and how their experience with the other people and those people's reactions have differed (or not) from what they expected prior to getting the tattoo. And additionally if it affected any aspect of their life: jobs, relationships, etc. And lastly, if they still feel confident with that decision or if they could do it again, would they do something different.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Craig in Upland, California

16 months ago

Someone needs to tell you the truth about tattoos and the work place.

YES it will hinder you in your employment. Your bosses may not say anything but trust me it does. Unless you work in some form of entertainment, think twice about getting tatted up. Especially were they can be seen. And dont come to the company picnic all exposed either. It will change public perception of you.

I have seen great hard working individuals get passed up on promotions because they had a tattoo. No matter how you personally feel about this you are limiting yourself by getting tattoos. The rapper 50 cent recently had tattoos removed because it they limited the roles he could get. As beautiful as some of the tattoos are and as sexy as they can look, they can hinder you.

Good luck

Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Craig in Upland, California

16 months ago

HigherEd in Albany, New York said: I'm actually in my 30's and yes I have grown up with tattoos, and they have become more "mainstream". I don't like tattoos personally, but professionally, what I can't see is none of my business , and that is why I'm just calling out above the shoulders tattoos, and maybe forearms which are easier to hide for men than women.

Most of the folks I've known who got them, chose to get them in discrete places. I have never known anyone who had a tattoo above the shoulders and if I ever meet someone who does, I would be interested to ask them what prompted them to choose such a conspicuous location and how their experience with the other people and those people's reactions have differed (or not) from what they expected prior to getting the tattoo. And additionally if it affected any aspect of their life: jobs, relationships, etc. And lastly, if they still feel confident with that decision or if they could do it again, would they do something different.

We sponsored a free tattoo removal day at our church. We had so many people that it had to be extended another day. Most had to go get more treatments. Those who had tattoos on their chest, neck and face said it was the biggest mistake of their lives. Sure it made them feel good for the moment, but after having kids and wanting a better life for their family it was a eye sore. Many of them were educated beyond the high school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

themegchan in Knoxville, Tennessee

15 months ago

You just fired Thomas Edison, George Orwell, and Winston Churchill. Not to mention over half of the nation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

George in Seffner, Florida

15 months ago

rwalker79 in Indianapolis, Indiana said: Are you serious!! Cheap!!!! They obviously do not know what the cost of a tattoo is. If you get the tattoo and the school that you will be working for would prefer that the tattoo be covered at least you already have a solution. A bracelet. The tattoo will be on your wrist and that is not a real noticeable place. You might see a glimpse of it every now and then, but I don't feel that your tattoo would be a distraction. A lot of companies are willing to accept tattoos as long as they are not a distraction to the workplace. Students may also see you as a real person. Just be upfront and honest and take it from there. Good Luck!
If tattoos are so classy, how come 95 % of prisoners have them? Not exactly role models. How come attorneys always ask their clients to cover them? Hmmm. Just because they cost a lot of money , does not make them classy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

David in Seffner, Florida

15 months ago

pixiebaby9 in Mandeville, Louisiana said: your a idiot!!!! haing tats dont make ou dirty you fool
That is "you're an idiot" and "Having tats doesn't make you dirty". Before calling others stupid, look in your own backyard .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Maggi1245 in Perry, New York

13 months ago

Please, explain to me how tattoos imply that an individual is trouble? I have tattoos, most of which represent the traumatic and abusive life I had growing up, and the other is in honor of my older brother who served for the United States Naval Forces. So, please, enlighten me unto how tattoos mean some one is trouble.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cdonald2 in Hudson, Ohio

3 months ago

A few things
1. No they dont look dirty depending on what it is, how well its done and why you got it. If youre getting a cheap tat just to get it then yea it looks bad.
2. As long as it is concealed for work and interviews then it should be fine
3. As a christian who has read the bible, tattooing as a form of practicing witchcraft is a sin, also, with the coming of jesus there was no need to abide by practices of the d testament anymore according to christians. And also, maybe God didnt give us tattoos because he wanted us to do it ourselves with our free will that he gave us. Eith the exception of witchcraft practices of course

Ruby Slippers in Las Vegas, Nevada

3 months ago

Cdonald2 in Hudson, Ohio said: A few things
1. No they dont look dirty depending on what it is, how well its done and why you got it. If youre getting a cheap tat just to get it then yea it looks bad.
2. As long as it is concealed for work and interviews then it should be fine
3. As a christian who has read the bible, tattooing as a form of practicing witchcraft is a sin, also, with the coming of jesus there was no need to abide by practices of the d testament anymore according to christians. And also, maybe God didnt give us tattoos because he wanted us to do it ourselves with our free will that he gave us. Eith the exception of witchcraft practices of course

Jesus is coming. Everybody look busy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

3 months ago

Cdonald2 in Hudson, Ohio said:
3. As a christian who has read the bible, tattooing as a form of practicing witchcraft is a sin, also, with the coming of jesus there was no need to abide by practices of the d testament anymore according to christians.

You are making up yet another version of Christianity.

Leviticus 19:28

'You shall not make any cuts in your body for the dead nor make any tattoo marks on yourselves: I am the LORD

Cdonald2 in Hudson, Ohio

3 months ago

Theres something called a history book that shows what tattoos were used fpr back then, also it is the old testament, christianity is based on the new testament, judaism is the old testament. Good job being a prime example of a complete moron taking the bible out of context again. It also says that christ didnt judge people, but i see you chose not to post that section :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Kittenmittens in Hudson, Ohio

3 months ago

"Do not tattoo your bodies for the dead" pagans did this in the times of Jesus in order to honor their dead. That is why it is forbidden. God wanted to keep the Jewish line pure and free from diseases since tattooing was done differently back then, rather than doing it in a tattoo shop where there are numerous sterile objects, they likely did it with rusted metal, sharp stone and lead ink. This would cause disease and sickness. The whole purpose for keeping the Jewish bloodline pure and free from plague was to allow for Jesus to be born. After Jesus is born, the Jewish people would no longer have to sacrifice animals or we Mainstreet two with in their customs such as tattooing since their purpose was fulfilled. One example is animal sacrifices, before Jesus died for their sins, people would have to sacrifice animals and cause bloodshed to be cleansed of their sentence. That is why there is a New Testament and Old Testament, it was to talk about the time before Jesus and after Jesus.

now that this is cleared up, I am kind of wondering are you both managed to sidetrack, this isn't a theological debate on Jesus this is a discussion if tattoos are appropriate within the workplace. I think that as long as it can be covered up reasonably there shouldn't be a problem.

3 months ago

Cdonald2 in Hudson, Ohio said: Theres something called a history book that shows what tattoos were used fpr back then, also it is the old testament, christianity is based on the new testament, judaism is the old testament. Good job being a prime example of a complete moron taking the bible out of context again. It also says that christ didnt judge people, but i see you chose not to post that section :)

The Bible is a fairy tale for adults.

I happen to know the bit of the Old Testament because my grandmother was extremely religious and knew the Bible backwards and forwards and believed in EVERY word of it.

You are what they call a cafeteria Christian; you just pick and choose what parts you want to follow.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

3 months ago

Kittenmittens in Hudson, Ohio said: "Do not tattoo your bodies for the dead" pagans did this in the times of Jesus in order to honor their dead. That is why it is forbidden. God wanted to keep the Jewish line pure and free from diseases since tattooing was done differently back then, rather than doing it in a tattoo shop where there are numerous sterile objects, they likely did it with rusted metal, sharp stone and lead ink. This would cause disease and sickness. The whole purpose for keeping the Jewish bloodline pure and free from plague was to allow for Jesus to be born. After Jesus is born, the Jewish people would no longer have to sacrifice animals or we Mainstreet two with in their customs such as tattooing since their purpose was fulfilled. One example is animal sacrifices, before Jesus died for their sins, people would have to sacrifice animals and cause bloodshed to be cleansed of their sentence. That is why there is a New Testament and Old Testament, it was to talk about the time before Jesus and after Jesus.

now that this is cleared up, I am kind of wondering are you both managed to sidetrack, this isn't a theological debate on Jesus this is a discussion if tattoos are appropriate within the workplace. I think that as long as it can be covered up reasonably there shouldn't be a problem.

Just don't have THUG LIFE tattooed on your forehead. That would be a career limiting move.

Cdonald2 in Hudson, Ohio

3 months ago

Ruby Slippers in Las Vegas, Nevada said: The Bible is a fairy tale for adults.

I happen to know the bit of the Old Testament because my grandmother was extremely religious and knew the Bible backwards and forwards and believed in EVERY word of it.

You are what they call a cafeteria Christian; you just pick and choose what parts you want to follow.

I love your logic, because your grandmother knew the Bible that means you know it

George in Seffner, Florida

3 months ago

cheeze in Wilmington, Delaware said: I am a DR. and i feel that you should feel good at all times. as long as you hurt no others
Your 2nd "I" should be capitalized. I do not believe you are a doctor, not even a proctologist.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.