Career Guidance in Commercial Real Estate

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Seeking Career in West Bloomfield, Michigan

66 months ago

I currently have a position as a Facilities/Maintenance Administrative Assistant and previous Residential Property Management experience. I am seeking a permanent Commercial Property Management position with Shopping Centers, Hotels, Medical or Office Buildings. I am having a very challenging time whenever I try to apply for a position and the description always express Experienced Commercial Leasing and Property Management experience applicants only. Therefore, I am seeking assistance as to how to obtain a position in this field. I also have a Bachelor's degree. Is there a specific approach as to how to cross into this field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Gal5_13 in Las Vegas, Nevada

58 months ago

There is no specific route. Speaking to hotels, many people get in through word of mouth, either because they were General Managers and the owner group likes them, or they were in appraisal or investment background and have industry connections. To be honest, it's getting more and more challenging, because with commercial lending in such a rough spot, the expectations are high. I've been out of work 6 months and I have 10 - 15 years experience in the field, as is also the case with many of my industry associates. More and more expectations are being placed on the financial side. I suggest getting your MBA and going in as analyst somewhere. These honestly are not "cush" positions anymore like it was 2-3 years ago. The market is down and people want the absolute best return they can possibly get.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.