Networking is the key!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Marie in West Palm Beach, Florida

37 months ago

Since you all are college grads I sure you aware of the saying "It's not what you know it's who you know". Everyone has a guidance degree but none of you has yet stated where you taught. Most school districts require you to teach at least two to three years before you can become a guidance counselor. Once you are in the school district that is when the networking process beings. Get to know people because they can recommend you to other people and schools depending on your good work ethics. Also if you have joined some type of community service organization such as a sorority or faternity make sure that is included in your resume. Apply to private and charter schools there are teachers in the juvenile centers as well. Stand out, get involved in different committes at your school. If the district you are in is not hiring you may need to relocate. Every school district provides some type of online access to these positions. It's always wise to look at large school districts because they need the most hires such as: Altanta, Miami Dade,LA, Maryland, Dallas,and Chicago and also look for the failing schools because they usually offer some type of incentive for new hires which means more money. It's said to fax your resume but I perfer hand delivery because that says a lot about a person you may get an interview on the spot so make sure your are dressed professional or casual. Guys make sure you have a clean cut and ladies make sure your nails are clean and filed and if you are wearing open toed shoes your toes should be polished. I've always said sometimes you have to leave your comfort zone to reach new heights so relocating may not be a bad thing especially if you have mouths to feed!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

kei in Setagaya, Japan

34 months ago

great insight. hana hou

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.