Top guidance counselor skills needed to get the job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Host

What are the top 3 traits or skills every guidance counselor must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your guidance counselor expertise?

Reply - Report abuse

KATE in Harwich, Massachusetts

75 months ago

1. Excellent communincation skills
2. Mediation skills
3. Ability to switch gears in a moments notice.

These are the top three I can think of....Developing guidance skills can be done in a variety of ways/careers. Any customer service job, sales jobs (guidance, believe it or not, is a lot like selling) jobs dealing with public. The more obvious; teaching, camp counselor, athletic coach, church leader/volunteer with youth groups. Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

maggie in Lancaster, New Hampshire

73 months ago

Performing a service job/sales job, I do believe I am convincing people to have confidence in me before they buy the idea. Communication skills are extremely important!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kate in Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts

73 months ago

maggie in Lancaster, New Hampshire said: Performing a service job/sales job, I do believe I am convincing people to have confidence in me before they buy the idea. Communication skills are extremely important!

You are correct, sometimes convincing a teacher to admit a student in a closed class takes sales skills (selling something he/she didn't think they wanted or know they wanted or know they didn't want to begin with. It takes communication along with communication to mediate and sales sometimes goes hand in hand with this type of work. Kate

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.