What else can I do with a School Counseling degree?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 200 of 366)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

NoMoreSchoolCounseling in Cincinnati, Ohio

33 months ago

In my graduate program I encountered a great deal of hostility between school counseling professors who represent the views of ASCA (the American School Counseling Association) and local high school counselors whose job responsibilites don't at all relate to this annoying 'National Model'. Evaluations of performance can be completely arbitrary and different people can have radically different views on how to handle a situation. Following school procedures can be illegal but circumventing procedures is also unacceptable. I learned that School counseling is especially dangerous for men - I was surprised by how many of the respectable married middle age male high school counselors were unwilling to be alone with students for fear of getting wrongfully accused of rape. During my internship I learned that by following procedures and using common sense you can find yourself in no-win scenarios settled only by completely arbitrary decisions by other people who need no evidence or justifications. Spending time on school counseling was a big waste. And it is indeed hard to find other jobs with the degree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

thereishope in Bayonne, New Jersey

32 months ago

Hi everyone. I hope you are all having luck finding jobs in school counseling. I stumbled across this forum when I was researching school counseling programs. Right now I am in an administration master's program and I really don't think it is for me. I miss interacting with people! Despite these forewarnings, I feel that school counseling is for me and I am going to pursue it. I believe a lot of what people may be experiencing is a bad economy - there just aren't a lot of jobs in any sectors. But it seems like the economy is bouncing back. For me, I know I will just have to hold out for when school counseling jobs are reinstated, as the economy gets better and the need for school counselors is recognized. However, I know a lot of you are struggling to find a job now and I wanted to suggest looking at colleges, universities, and community colleges. Many of those jobs require a bachelor's or master's in "education, counseling, or a related field." I don't see why a master's in school counseling wouldn't fit that description. A lot of the work is similar to school counseling, especially the departments of advising, career services, and counseling centers. Try looking at higheredjobs.com. Hope this helps! Best of luck to everyone in the future!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Meghanne in Seattle, Washington

32 months ago

Matt in Spokane, Washington said: I am just wondering, how many of you graduated from a CACREP acreddited university and also have Their National Certified Counseling (NCE) certificate?

Matt, are you working in school counseling? I am currently in a Master's program for Guidance and Counseling but now I am starting to worry that there are not jobs. I am attending a CACREP school. Are you working as a school counselor? I have researched jobs lately in Western WA and have found no openings. I am trying to find out if I can be endoresed in special ed or if I have to get, yet another, degree before i am able.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Anony in Charlotte, North Carolina

32 months ago

Earlier someone posted about political things in the school system and also ways in which you can get your name out there. EMAIL the principals, school counselor supervisors, and all of the counselors at the site that has the opening your resume. Majority of the time the counselors do not even look at the application portal b/c there are hundreds of applicants. It's like a last resort if they don't have someone they already know to hire.

Also, I'm sorry for those who have no job listings. :( My city has on average 13-14 openings a year. Gotta hustle and network! It's who you know than what you know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

armorbear in Mumbai, India

32 months ago

Today's school counselors are vital members of the education team. They help all students in the areas of academic achievement, personal/social development and career development, ensuring today's students become the productive, well-adjusted adults of tomorrow.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

armorbear in Mumbai, India said: Today's school counselors are vital members of the education team. They help all students in the areas of academic achievement, personal/social development and career development, ensuring today's students become the productive, well-adjusted adults of tomorrow.

No sh** sherlock!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

outofworkcounselor in Lancaster, California

32 months ago

Anony in Charlotte, North Carolina said: Earlier someone posted about political things in the school system and also ways in which you can get your name out there. EMAIL the principals, school counselor supervisors, and all of the counselors at the site that has the opening your resume. Majority of the time the counselors do not even look at the application portal b/c there are hundreds of applicants. It's like a last resort if they don't have someone they already know to hire.

Also, I'm sorry for those who have no job listings. :( My city has on average 13-14 openings a year. Gotta hustle and network! It's who you know than what you know.

Exactly, I know tons of counselors who have networked (myself included) and have kissed alot of fannies so to speak and have worked hard volunteering and such. But my point being that counselor jobs are hard to come by when counseling positions are being given away literally to board member families. In the western part of the US, counselor jobs are pretty tight. Nice to know there are so many opportunities in North Carolina. Maybe when we loose our homes due to forclosure we can move out there with no money . Thanks for the advice, never knew a person had to hustle for a job.....:<

32 months ago

I know it's quite sad! I have heard PA and TN also have openings going on. Charlotte only recently had a huge hiring year when the superintendent left and 300 school positions were open. I think last summer 20-30 counseling positions opened up. I'm nervous when it's my time to graduate, but my supervisor that I'm interning with told me to network with other counselors in the school system and get my name out there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

kyteacher in London, Kentucky

32 months ago

thereishope in Bayonne, New Jersey said: Hi everyone. I hope you are all having luck finding jobs in school counseling. I stumbled across this forum when I was researching school counseling programs. Right now I am in an administration master's program and I really don't think it is for me. I miss interacting with people! Despite these forewarnings, I feel that school counseling is for me and I am going to pursue it. I believe a lot of what people may be experiencing is a bad economy - there just aren't a lot of jobs in any sectors. But it seems like the economy is bouncing back. For me, I know I will just have to hold out for when school counseling jobs are reinstated, as the economy gets better and the need for school counselors is recognized. However, I know a lot of you are struggling to find a job now and I wanted to suggest looking at colleges, universities, and community colleges. Many of those jobs require a bachelor's or master's in "education, counseling, or a related field." I don't see why a master's in school counseling wouldn't fit that description. A lot of the work is similar to school counseling, especially the departments of advising, career services, and counseling centers. Try looking at higheredjobs.com. Hope this helps! Best of luck to everyone in the future!
I have looked there too...they won't hire you at a university unless you have so many graduate hours in secondary education. That's isn't going to help any of the elementary or middle school people. Also, community colleges pay a lot less than public school teachers make in this area....like 20,000 less. It's not worth the pay cut.

At first, I was hopeful that I would get a job in counseling. I always have great observations from my administration....high test scores....good interactions with students and staff.....it just isn't happening and the more interviews I have that don't work out, the more frustrated I become.

Holly in Springfield, Massachusetts

32 months ago

Wow I never thought the counseling field was this bad across the map. I'm actually stuck in a rut trying to figure where to go. Forever & ever I planned on being a middle school counselor. I got my BA in Social Work and took (what I anticipated as) one year off before going for my Master's in School Counseling. I figured if I got some entry level work, it'd be good experience, plus I was feeling a little burnt out and wanted a break from school. Well, I never ended up getting a social work job and therefore never went back to school. I've been out for almost 2 years and now I don't even know if counseling is the right field for me. It could be that I've been out for some time and I've forgotten how much I wanted to be a counselor, of that I just gave up on the idea. I feel very pressured from my parents to go back to school and pursue my original plans, but I no longer know if that's what I want to do.

Reading all of your comments has really made me realize that perhaps this isn't the field for me. I started thinking it would be too overwhelming of a position, but now seeing that it's so hard to get a job, even with a Master's degree, maybe I'll be looking in a different direction.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Ohiocounselor in Columbus, Ohio

32 months ago

I see that you're in Columbus, Ohio and are having a difficult time finding a job. I work for The Electronic Classroom of Tomorrow. I'm still looking for a job in a traditional school setting but in the meantime it's a decent job. I started at $39,000 and have had at least $1,000 a year raise. I work year round but I do get one home day a week and a decent amount of vacation days. Plus, it's better than working with rapists and murderers.

We just hired a new counselor so we don't have openings right now. However, we've hired several new counselors this year so there will likely be some in the future. I suggest that you apply so they have your resume on file and contact the principals on a regular basis.
Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ohiocounselor in Columbus, Ohio

32 months ago

Tricia in Columbus, Ohio said: Nice to know we are all in the same boat. I graduated a long time ago with a Master's degree in Counseling Psychology (school counseling-1997) and eventually got my LPC. I have never found a school counseling job. I have worked at Stanford and the Ohio State University in research assistant positions. I have also worked at a community mental health center for $15 an hour -the STRESS level was unreal- suicide/homicide all day every day. Very dangerous- police dropping folks off 24/7. No security for the staff. The majority of "clients" should have been in jail for violent behavior, aside from the mental health issues. I had several gentlemen confess murder- yep, murder- had to call the cops to come and fill out paperwork, for another ride to the big house after the local mental health center stint. I have applied for college advisor gigs and interviewed several times. Two hundred applicants for one advisor posting. I am working retail- retail!!! (two small kiddos). The saddest part is that the BLS claims that counseling is a a faster than average growing field. Well at least we provided our professors with professor gigs. I am trying to get into college career centers, as I am burned out from searching for school counselor postings-actually not that burned out as there are no posting in my area-Ohio to apply for!). My friends- if there is an afterlife we will all see each other in heaven- we have certainly earned it!!!!!!!

I see that you're in Columbus, Ohio and are having a difficult time finding a job. I work for The Electronic Classroom of Tomorrow. I'm still looking for a job in a traditional school setting but in the meantime it's a decent job. I started at $39,000 and have had at least $1,000 a year raise. I work year round but I do get one home day a week and a decent amount of vacation days. Plus, it's better than working with rapists and murderers.

We just hired a new counselor so we don't have openings ri

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

BurnedOut in Durham, North Carolina

32 months ago

It makes me so sad to see how many people are out there that just want to help kids but can't land a job or have been scorched by the politics of our public schools. My advice as someone who is currently a school counselor and had a ridiculously hard time finding a job here: Don't go into school counseling.

The non-job-related tasks assigned to us are only increasing. Everyone in a public school gets assigned duties they don't want and/or have nothing to do with their actual training, but for counselors it's awful (morning duties, bus duty, discipline, random conferences, interpreting/translating if applicable, planning school wide events, PSATs, Benchmarks, EOGs, etc etc etc).

You're better off going in a different direction or obtaining your LPC to counsel privately.

Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

School Counselor in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina

32 months ago

Don't despair! I have been a school counselor in middle, high school and colleges for the last 14 years and personally, I prefer working in private schools or colleges (rather than public k-12, where the work is ALL administrative assistant duties). If you are willing to relocate, and network with schools before they have an opening, you can definitely get a job. My family moved with the Air Force 4 times and I always got in touch with schools way in advance, set up informational interviews, and that way when I landed there, and when they had an opening, it gave me a better chance. I obtained 4 jobs this way! You can too! I love the field of psychology so much and am so glad I picked this field! It is a tough job market but so many students need us - don't give up!

Pat in Staunton, Virginia

32 months ago

darcistark in Madras, Oregon said: Ok, I have been incredibly ambivalent about the masters in school counseling program. I started the masters in school counseling this summer full time, liked it, but unsure meanwhile. Then I started fall term shadowing in the schools. It took one day of shadowing at the elementary level to quit the program all together! I hated it. However, I couldn't sleep at night thinking I made a mistake in dropping the program. THen I enrolled part time community counseling track winter term and here I am still ambivalent about the program. I received a graduate scholarship and don't want to waste it, but whats more, I dont want to waste my time receiving a glorified 2 year therapy session that gets me nowhere! What to do? Travel the world, work in restaurants and just be a little complacent in that? or try for something more than a BS in social science? I know that going to campus to talk to a counselor will only lead to more ambivalence, after all, they are there to encourage students to keep on in school, its a business!

Any hopes ideas or inspirations out there?

If you haven't gotten your Master's degree yet switch to a Master's in Social Work and then get your certification as a Licensed Clinical Social Worker. This degree provides a field of employment that is much more diverse. You can work in hospitals, for the military, Nursing Homes, Schools etc.

I have an LPC and four years ago went back and got my School Counseling License K-12. I do not like working in the school political environment and most of what I do is data entry. I am a slave to technology and have very little time to spend with students. Recently a Career Counselor was added to our school so now I don't even get to work with kids about careers anymore. If you want to get your LPC try working in a state and federally funded Community Services Board (if they have them in your state).

Pat in Staunton, Virginia

32 months ago

Paul in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: Ok people this site is scaring me. I wanted to be school counselor for many years, in the end I decided to go back to school for my LPC or MFT license. Is this even worth it? Will I find work in MN? I have been working in pharmacy for many years and have management experience. I can make up to $45K as a Pharmacy Tech. Supervisor. Should I just stay in this industry and not even bother getting my MFT license? I am 27 and have a mortgage and a two year old. I was so excited to go back to school. Now I am totally concerned. My company will pay $10,000 for tuition and I should be able to get my maters for $16K. Any advice would be great.

Get your LCSW instead it qualifies you to be a therapist/counselor and pays more than an LPC. It is also more veratile and opens more employment opportunities.

Urjob in Youngstown, Ohio

32 months ago

tarc817 in Hauppauge, New York said: I've had my masters degree in school counseling for over 3 years now, and there are absolutely NO jobs on Long Island. I'm 27, sick of living at home, sick of subbing to just have a job, and sick of not even getting any interviews. My undergrad is in Human Relations (Psychology and Sociology), and I have no clue what else I can do with my degree. Anyone else in a similar situation? There's nothing else I want to do, and I don't really want to give up on being a guidance counselor, but I feel it's time to look, or at least have a Plan B. I feel like I'm back in high school or college, trying to figure out what I want to do for the rest of my life. I'm so frustrated. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Try USAJOBS.com and avuecentral.com. There are federal govt.l postings there for social service type positions. Also, if you are interested in helping vets, the VA is a place to look. The Master's in Counseling is a flexible degree, look at non-profits too, county and state government. The application process is very precise and detailed, DO NOT leave blanks or " see attached resume" and please use a professional email name! If I see one more educated person with a stupid email name like "the reatesedcounselor@ISP...." then your college should have their accreditation revoked. keep in mind in a tight job market, you ARE NOT THE EXCEPTION to any rule. Your resume better be updated, no goofy fonts and colors either.

Bob M. in Sea Cliff, New York

32 months ago

tarc817 in Hauppauge, New York said: I've had my masters degree in school counseling for over 3 years now, and there are absolutely NO jobs on Long Island. I'm 27, sick of living at home, sick of subbing to just have a job, and sick of not even getting any interviews. My undergrad is in Human Relations (Psychology and Sociology), and I have no clue what else I can do with my degree. Anyone else in a similar situation? There's nothing else I want to do, and I don't really want to give up on being a guidance counselor, but I feel it's time to look, or at least have a Plan B. I feel like I'm back in high school or college, trying to figure out what I want to do for the rest of my life. I'm so frustrated. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

I feel your frustration. Contact Community Based Organizations That offer crisis intervention services for at risk youth. Local assembly people would know what programs to contact. Contact BIB BROTHERS BIG SISTERS and Boys and Girls Club of America. Post your resume on the State Guidance Counselors association Website. Most Districts on long Island do that now, but you know that already, sorry... It is not a school district job but it is experience. You May want to apply for Human Resource Jobs on state and city levels. Also try applying for a Human Resource jos Opps with Social Security Admin. Good luck Hang in there. It always looks bleak before it gets better.

Nadia in Bronx, New York

32 months ago

I'm in the same situation... so sad. It does help to see others dealing with the same thing and to know, "it's not me," but I wish we were all more successful with our school counseling degrees. I think universities should stop granting these degrees at all because there are no jobs! What's the point? Actually went on two interviews these past two days, neither school counseling, but counseling related and on the interviews I'm made to feel I just don't have the amount of experience they want... but how would I get it? I know I'm more than capable and even have some experience, unfortunately they were short lived experiences because non-profits are always losing funding...so tired of it all now. Really wish I had went in a different direction. I think I will go back to school for a certificate in something else and call it a day. When counseling jobs open up I'll try again but I've graduated since 2010 and nothings happening.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

psychmajor in Hollywood, Florida

32 months ago

I am so glad that I came across this discussion! I have read through ever posting here. I am graduating in May 2012 with a dual BA in Social Science and Psychology. I am currently doing my research on becoming a school counselor and based on what I have learned, I'm going to pursue another master's program, perhaps in teaching and learning with technology since virtual schools are the NOW thing! I need to be able to find a job when I complete my master's program and I believe that technology is our future but I am sad that there is NO future for those who obtain their master’s in school counseling because I would love to be able to work with and help kids. I will just find another way…

Thank you so much for providing your personal experiences on the difficulties that you all have experienced in your job search. This economy is horrible and it has impacted our entire country...you are not able to find a job to help kids and the kids are the ones who are suffering because of bureaucracy and cut backs. It is sad when highly education people like yourselves are not successful. I hope that things will improve for all of us!

Confused in Brooklyn, New York

32 months ago

I really don't know what to do. I am getting my MSED in school counseling this may, and I am so unenthusiastic about it. When I went into the program I thought it was going to be mainly talking to kids one on one in my office (more of a therapy kind of thing), and even though it was clear from the first semester that the job is totally different, I stuck with it because I still thought of myself as a counselor. Now I am disillusioned with the whole career and really don't want to be a school counselor. I am not sure if I should just get through this last semester or just drop out. If I finish the program, what other job options are available? Can I work as a college advisor or something like that? My B.A. is in psychology, which of course is totally useless.

outofworkcounselor in Lancaster, California

32 months ago

you spent the money so you have to finish. You never know when you might need to fall back on the degree in the future

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mjo in Gadsden, Alabama

32 months ago

well crap, guys...
I have recently been considering earning my masters in Educational Counseling. I am working on my Bachelor's in Early Childhood/Elementary Education. I guess it's time to reconsider.

recee312 in Chicago, Illinois

31 months ago

ame here! I've worked in the Chicago Public Schools system for 10 years. I started out as a registrar in the main office and moved to assistant school scheduler. At that time, I was still working on my B.A. in Liberal Arts minoring in Psychology. Finally, I completed my degree in 2003 but couldn't obtain a professional job without a certification. In January of 2009, the guidance department chair, my friend convinced me to go back for a M.A. in School Counseling. During that time, I applied for an Interim School Counseling Intern Certification only valid for three years (expires June 2012) . My principal used that certification to put me in an actual counselor's role but without the pay! Luckily, my district pays more than the average school district so I am able to get by in my current position. Although I am grateful for the two years of experience, I need a real counselors position. I've been looking for positions for over a year now and it is difficult. I even know a few principals but the jobs aren't there. I am currently finishing my M.A. in Educational Leadership just to make myself more marketable. Hell, I may need to obtain a MBA the way the job market is looking. Someone said earlier to apply for failing and charter schools, typically, they are usually the only ones hiring. My principal assured me that I would get the next position that opens. However, I will have to wait until he fires the counselor who is currently on a 30 day suspension. Nevertheless, I am still searching for positions at other schools. My last resort was to look in other states but that seems to be a waste of time. As far as having teaching experience before, it is preferred but not mandatory in many states. Check with your local state education department. Good luck to us all...we need it!

recee312 in Chicago, Illinois

31 months ago

Same here! It should have said.

Erica in Queensbury, New York

31 months ago

"Most jobs I have come across are Bachelor level positions for non-profit agencies where all the work is home-based and you might pull in a whopping 30k."

Hi Brooke,

I recently re-located from Houston, TX to Hudson Falls, NY. I have a BA in Psychology. Which non-profit agencies have home-based work? I was considering getting a Counseling degree from SUNY Albany and I am so glad I found this thread. Do you really think a MSW degree has greater opportunities for employment in this area? Hope to hear back from you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Worried in Long Beach, California

31 months ago

Urjob in Youngstown, Ohio said: Try USAJOBS.com and avuecentral.com. There are federal govt.l postings there for social service type positions. Also, if you are interested in helping vets, the VA is a place to look. The Master's in Counseling is a flexible degree, look at non-profits too, county and state government. The application process is very precise and detailed, DO NOT leave blanks or " see attached resume" and please use a professional email name! If I see one more educated person with a stupid email name like "the reatesedcounselor@ISP...." then your college should have their accreditation revoked. keep in mind in a tight job market, you ARE NOT THE EXCEPTION to any rule. Your resume better be updated, no goofy fonts and colors either.

Just want to give you a heads up on USAjobs.com, don't be surprised if you don't hear anything after you get the email that says you applied. I have applied for many positions that I met the qualifications for and nothing. The applications are long so be prepared. Make sure you read the qualifications needed list. They are specific. I hope you have better luck than I have with that I have :)

31 months ago

A typo on the end of the paragraph. It should of said, I hope you have better luck that I have :)

heeellllllllllo in Sydney, Australia

31 months ago

hi everyone this is an important question !!!!!!!! What professions do you have to study to become a principal .... plzzzzzzz teeell meeee i really need help!!!!!!!!! :) like what kind of things do you have to study to become a principal !!

heeellllllllllo in Sydney, Australia

31 months ago

hi everyone this is an important question !!!!!!!! What professions do you have to study to become a principal .... plzzzzzzz teeell meeee i really need help!!!!!!!!! :) like what kind of things do you have to study to become a principal !!

pldonova in Staunton, Virginia

31 months ago

I believe that you would follow what ever requirements that Australia would have. Go to the school board site and check it out I imagine that you would have to have taught for a number of years. In Virginia principals have taken classes and done an internship in order to get their certificate.

S. Torian in Durham, North Carolina

31 months ago

Thanks for the encouragement. I was becoming very sad reading these blogs. I am a school counselor and actually love my job! I was truly blessed to get a job about a year and a half after I received my MA in School Counseling in 08. I have been in the job now for about 2 years. It is truly a rewarding job. I have been frustrated about the pay because my salary was based on years of experience and so I started at the lowest level. After 23 years of work experience in a private sector job, I hoped to be offered a higher salary but that did not happen. I realize that my salary and job are based on
10 months not a year! So even though it seems to be a pay cut, I have
two months off and stretch my pay to cover those months. It is blessing!After reading all of these blogs, I am thankful for my job. Working with our children is so rewarding. They face so much today and truly have issues that I would never want to wish on anyone. If you have a desire to be a school counselor, don't give up if it is truly your passion. You will not regret it. The pay is not the best but there is no price on being a blessing to our children. I believe that compensation will eventually come but in the meantime, look into vocational rehabilitation as an option. You can still work in the field and receive great personal reward as well as compensation. Be encouraged School Counseling majors!!! Your hard work is not in vain!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

That was a great post! I'm finishing my degree in December and I'm in Char-Meck schools. I love what I do..I wouldn't change it for the world. I also love the fact that despite an okay pay, we get two months off in the summer. CMS is actually okay with hiring and finding counselors since we are a big city/district. Hoping to land a job when I graduate at my internship site since one will be leaving or hopefully somewhere else. I'm not losing any hope!

marie in Turlock, California

31 months ago

The private vocational schools may be hiring; Carrington College, Heald College, etc.

FSUundergrad in Jacksonville, Florida

31 months ago

I'm currently an undergrad at Florida State University. I've spent about an hour reading through these posts and I completely agree with the statement that it's all about who you know. However, I'm a Junior (majoring in Interdisciplinary Social Science - Sociology and Psychology) and I have confidence that I will be able to find a job. At the young age of 19 I have already accomplished so much, including graduating with my Associates one month before graduating from high school. My mom is a teacher and has been with the same school board for 25+ years. Though I could easily get connections in my hometown, living and raising my family there is the last thing that I want to do. I am currently networking with some educators that I met at a panel at FSU trying to get some volunteering experience and internship opportunities. Please don't be afraid to introduce yourselves and get not only your name, but your FACE known. Education is a critical thing to have today, as it's hard to find a job without a requirement of at least at Bachelors. Though I am young, I have seen many people just expect positions to be handed to them and I have seen others who have gone above and beyond in terms of volunteering, etc. My suggestions would be to go meet face to face with the superintendents, principals, and other guidance counselors. Good counselors are far and few between so don't give up!!!

31 months ago

The Long Beach Unified School Board just approved 308 more positions be eliminated for next school year. Ten of those positions will be school counselors. They are laying off the entire Head Start Program staff, 126 people will lose their jobs and 2000 students will not receive services next year. This is getting to be insane. It is hard not to get discouraged. I have heard other parts of the country are slowly started to get better, unfortunately California's educational system is still in a downward spiral.

There is a vote coming up in November to increase sales tax and the money will go to education. If that does not pass, the consequences will be unbelievable cuts. I am trying not to think about it as there is not much left to cut as it is.

E in Minneapolis, Minnesota

31 months ago

Wow.... I'm going to be brutally honest: I don't think thats it's the lack of school counseling positions, or the politics of the school. I think it has to do with you. I know that stings, but I have my masters in school counseling in MN and I had multiple interviews and offers right out of grad school (with no experience). I have worked at the same school since 2007 and couldn't be happier with the job! School counseling is not for everyone, and if you haven't gotten your foot in the door... I don't think it's right to soley blame politics/schools. Hold a mirror up to yourself and you may realize that it might be you, not the schools. Maybe you're not a good fit to be a counselor. It's tough to hear, but it needs to be said.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

???? in Lancaster, California

31 months ago

wow, you sound like a person who should not even be in a counseling setting. You mentioned that you were hired in 2007. In that year the counseling field was easier to get into. There were not as many cuts back then compared to now. I think you sound like an idiot to be brutally honest. I know about 5 great counselors who have been laid off due to California budget cuts. Are you saying that they are not cut out to be a counselor? They have worked hard and have handled the most difficult situations with expertise. In 2006 I was hired and was very happy in my position and was
laid off this past school year due to cuts. Look around "counselor" and see the writing on the wall. The same thing may happen to you one day and it wont be pretty. Instead of putting others down, you should stand together with your fellow counselors so this won't happen to you one day!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

???? in Lancaster, California

31 months ago

E in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: Wow.... I'm going to be brutally honest: I don't think thats it's the lack of school counseling positions, or the politics of the school. I think it has to do with you. I know that stings, but I have my masters in school counseling in MN and I had multiple interviews and offers right out of grad school (with no experience). I have worked at the same school since 2007 and couldn't be happier with the job! School counseling is not for everyone, and if you haven't gotten your foot in the door... I don't think it's right to soley blame politics/schools. Hold a mirror up to yourself and you may realize that it might be you, not the schools. Maybe you're not a good fit to be a counselor. It's tough to hear, but it needs to be said.

wow, you sound like a person who should not even be in a counseling setting. You mentioned that you were hired in 2007. In that year the counseling field was easier to get into. There were not as many cuts back then compared to now. I think you sound like an idiot to be brutally honest. I know about 5 great counselors who have been laid off due to California budget cuts. Are you saying that they are not cut out to be a counselor? They have worked hard and have handled the most difficult situations with expertise. In 2006 I was hired and was very happy in my position and was
laid off this past school year due to cuts. Look around "counselor" and see the writing on the wall. The same thing may happen to you one day and it wont be pretty. Instead of putting others down, you should stand together with your fellow counselors so this won't happen to you one day!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

tarc817 in Hauppauge, New York

31 months ago

E in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: Wow.... I'm going to be brutally honest: I don't think thats it's the lack of school counseling positions, or the politics of the school. I think it has to do with you. I know that stings, but I have my masters in school counseling in MN and I had multiple interviews and offers right out of grad school (with no experience). I have worked at the same school since 2007 and couldn't be happier with the job! School counseling is not for everyone, and if you haven't gotten your foot in the door... I don't think it's right to soley blame politics/schools. Hold a mirror up to yourself and you may realize that it might be you, not the schools. Maybe you're not a good fit to be a counselor. It's tough to hear, but it needs to be said.

Is this in response to my original post 2 years ago? If so, maybe you need to put your counseling cap on and go read ALL of the posts from the past 2 years, and you'd see what a difference this board has made, and how it has helped some people, and given them hope, or helped them change their mind to try another field. If that's not a counselor, I don't know what is. As my late grandma Anna would say, "Go scratch your liver." We don't want you here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

Holly in Springfield, Massachusetts said: I feel very pressured from my parents to go back to school and pursue my original plans, but I no longer know if that's what I want to do. Reading all of your comments has really made me realize that perhaps this isn't the field for me. I started thinking it would be too overwhelming of a position, but now seeing that it's so hard to get a job, even with a Master's degree, maybe I'll be looking in a different direction.

Hi Holly - don't let your parents decide your future. I was originally in school (undergrad) for teaching. During my very first observation at an elementary school, I decided teaching was not for me and decided to change my major as a junior. My dad was not supportive, telling me to just finish the teaching degree to have something to fall back on - but I knew I would never want to be a teacher, so what was the point of having that degree? My mom was more supportive. So I changed my major halfway through college and went straight to grad school for school counseling. I know it seems hopeless in your field, and unfortunately, there is not much we can do with this degree alone. You've only been out 2 years though, and you still have time to maybe go back and take some more classes or something. Don't despair - follow your gut. Cheesy, but true!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

Confused in Brooklyn, New York said: I really don't know what to do. I am getting my MSED in school counseling this may, and I am so unenthusiastic about it. When I went into the program I thought it was going to be mainly talking to kids one on one in my office (more of a therapy kind of thing), and even though it was clear from the first semester that the job is totally different, I stuck with it because I still thought of myself as a counselor. Now I am disillusioned with the whole career and really don't want to be a school counselor. I am not sure if I should just get through this last semester or just drop out. If I finish the program, what other job options are available? Can I work as a college advisor or something like that? My B.A. is in psychology, which of course is totally useless.

FINISH!!! It may seem like it now, but getting your Masters is a HUGE accomplishment!! And you only have a short ways to go! You've paid all that money, spent all that time - do not give up. In NY, we are certified K-12, but that doesn't mean you can't get a job in a college. I've applied to those jobs before. But let me tell you - the sitting with kids and counseling them thing? That's an elementary or middle school counselor. With high school, it will be mostly college/academics/scheduling and very little counseling unfortunately. I feel the same way you do - I always envisioned myself the same way. Counseling kids. College advisor is a bit different. It's more career counseling, helping them figure out what to do with the rest of their lives.

I hope my post is not too late and you haven't already dropped out...please keep us posted!

31 months ago

Pat in Staunton, Virginia said: If you haven't gotten your Master's degree yet switch to a Master's in Social Work and then get your certification as a Licensed Clinical Social Worker. This degree provides a field of employment that is much more diverse. You can work in hospitals, for the military, Nursing Homes, Schools etc.

I have an LPC and four years ago went back and got my School Counseling License K-12. I do not like working in the school political environment and most of what I do is data entry. I am a slave to technology and have very little time to spend with students. Recently a Career Counselor was added to our school so now I don't even get to work with kids about careers anymore. If you want to get your LPC try working in a state and federally funded Community Services Board (if they have them in your state).

I am license eligible. There was an opening that I applied for recently. The starting pay is 30,000! Why would ANYONE want to leave a teaching job paying 52,000 with all summer off, spring break, Christmas break, fall break etc., for a year round job taking a 22,000 pay cut? Counseling jobs don't pay anything.

31 months ago

Erica in Queensbury, New York said: "Most jobs I have come across are Bachelor level positions for non-profit agencies where all the work is home-based and you might pull in a whopping 30k."

Hi Brooke,

I recently re-located from Houston, TX to Hudson Falls, NY. I have a BA in Psychology. Which non-profit agencies have home-based work? I was considering getting a Counseling degree from SUNY Albany and I am so glad I found this thread. Do you really think a MSW degree has greater opportunities for employment in this area? Hope to hear back from you.

a MSW will be LOW pay! You might make 30,000 a year.

Bob M. in Sea Cliff, New York

31 months ago

Yes M.S.W.'s have a broader reach into 3rd party payments thus more jobs. I do not know of any CBO's that home based work. That is the leg work you need to perform.

MS in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

31 months ago

I agree with the original poster! It sounds to me like a person like you does not belong in the school system and just goes to show school politics are in-fact the reason for hiring most of the time! I am now working as a senior reseach clinician for a prominent childhood depression study and PhD who is very well known in her field! She usually only hires people with their PhD. I was lucky to be hired and now will have my name connected to some very important and groundbreaking childhood depression therapy being developed especially for ages 7 to 12. I wouldn't say I need to look into a mirror, but maybe you do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

E

31 months ago

To MS in Pittsburg: when you're not whining and complaining about the politics of the school system... You also like to brag! You are the type of person I was talking about. You weren't right for the field, oh well. I'm not going to hold your hand. The truth hurts sometime... And you DO need to hold a mirror up to yourself!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

Who are you responding to?
If you were responding to what I said about how dire the counseling situation is in California, your clueless.
Counselors and Social Workers with up to 13 years of experience are getting laid off.
I hope that you will think before you answer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

I spoke to the Dean of a Counseling Department at a Community College this weekend during a job fair. They received 500 applications for their last job opening and are expecting the same response for this position. WOW!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

jabudi11 in Northport, New York

31 months ago

If anyone has a masters degree in guidance and counseling feel free to send me a resume at jabudi11@aol.com

I am potentially looking into a business opportunity on long island, NY so I may need some help in the near future. Feel free to include min salary expectations and if you would consider anything lower if the right opportunity came along. This would be a new company and I would prefer to find someone with an entrepreneurial spirit as well. Thank you!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.