What else can I do with a School Counseling degree?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (201 to 250 of 367)
Page:  « First « Previous   2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next »   Last »

tarc817 in Hauppauge, New York

31 months ago

jabudi11 in Northport, New York said: If anyone has a masters degree in guidance and counseling feel free to send me a resume at jabudi11@aol.com

I am potentially looking into a business opportunity on long island, NY so I may need some help in the near future. Feel free to include min salary expectations and if you would consider anything lower if the right opportunity came along. This would be a new company and I would prefer to find someone with an entrepreneurial spirit as well. Thank you!!

Can you elaborate on the business at all?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jabudi11 in Northport, New York

31 months ago

I am looking to complement the guidance counseling system already in place at high schools in regards to preparing students for college. I won't go into the details of my plan here. If anyone is interested feel free to email me. This is a start up and it may take a while to gain a large client base. However, I have a few ideas to differentiate my business from what High Schools already offer. I understand that you aren't too interested in the college prep aspect of guidance, but I just wanted to get feedback and to see what type of potential employees might be available in the area.

Sorry I didn't include the type of business in the earlier post!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

stierchyd147 in Randolph, New Jersey

31 months ago

Latasha Daniels in Miami, Florida said: Some people are really getting on my last nerves with this I can't find a job in guidance crap. Maybe you should be a guidance counselor if you don't have common sense. I mean how in the world could you guide someone when you don't have guidance yourself? You need to teach, "You need to teach first". English is the only language I can speak and write. Now if most of you think you are going to walk into someone's school and become a Guidance Counselor before a teacher who has been in the school system a couple of years and they have a Master's in Guidance you have another thing coming. The Classroom Teacher's Union will have a field day with type of situation because this is called senority. Teach for three years (or two) after your first year add guidance to your teacher's certification then take the other subject off of your certification and then the following depending year(depend on how long you must remain at the school) put in a voluntarily transfer and since guidance would be the only subject on your certification you would have to be placed in a guidance position! Good Freaking Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ha!!! I taught art in a private school setting... all types of classified students... k-21 years old. Decided I really loved the relationship part of the teaching. Masters in counseling in my 40's... school concentration. I had taught at a public school for the 4 years I earned my graduate degree. I graduated with my masters in the middle of May... finally! Two weeks later they told me I didn't have my teaching position due to people returning from leaves of absence, transfers, and reduction in force. It has been over 2 years of unemployment other than a few long termed subbing jobs that turned into nothing. I am not going to be hired as an art teacher as I DO have experience and a masters. I am not going to be hired as a school/guidance counselor because I have no paid experience. Not much hope here...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

E

31 months ago

Latasha: AMEN! People on this thread just love to complain!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

E said: Latasha: AMEN! People on this thread just love to complain!

Hey "E" - Although you've changed your information, we know who you are. You're still the same insensitive, ignorant idiot from Minnesota who came to this board to judge everyone, and are still doing it. You're welcome to leave any time you want. This started out 2 years ago as a place to vent my frustrations about the lack of jobs there were. If you actually read ALL of the posts, you'll see that people have helped each other along this journey, and people have come back and posted about how they now have jobs. I think I speak for everyone here when I say that your negativity and bad attitude is not welcome.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Worried in Long Beach, California

31 months ago

stierchyd147 in Randolph, New Jersey said: Ha!!! I taught art in a private school setting... all types of classified students... k-21 years old. Decided I really loved the relationship part of the teaching. Masters in counseling in my 40's... school concentration. I had taught at a public school for the 4 years I earned my graduate degree. I graduated with my masters in the middle of May... finally! Two weeks later they told me I didn't have my teaching position due to people returning from leaves of absence, transfers, and reduction in force. It has been over 2 years of unemployment other than a few long termed subbing jobs that turned into nothing. I am not going to be hired as an art teacher as I DO have experience and a masters. I am not going to be hired as a school/guidance counselor because I have no paid experience. Not much hope here...

Hi stierchyd147 in Randolph, New Jersey,
Hang in there. I know how you feel. It is really frustrating. The other day after I found out 500 people applied for the counseling position I applied for... well, I had to give myself a pep talk and remind myself that it is not my fault. I have done and will continue to do what should be done to get a position and hopefully it will come together soon. We can't control the economy or the present cuts in education. Don't listen to the negative people who comment on here, it's not worth it. I also have experience in a variety of areas in education and it doesn't matter because there are so few jobs. Just wanted to give you a little support after hearing people be negative. Take care.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lostandnotfound in Brooklyn, New York

31 months ago

tarc817 in Hauppauge, New York said: Hi Holly - don't let your parents decide your future. I was originally in school (undergrad) for teaching. During my very first observation at an elementary school, I decided teaching was not for me and decided to change my major as a junior. My dad was not supportive, telling me to just finish the teaching degree to have something to fall back on - but I knew I would never want to be a teacher, so what was the point of having that degree? My mom was more supportive. So I changed my major halfway through college and went straight to grad school for school counseling. I know it seems hopeless in your field, and unfortunately, there is not much we can do with this degree alone. You've only been out 2 years though, and you still have time to maybe go back and take some more classes or something. Don't despair - follow your gut. Cheesy, but true!

Omg, this sounds similar to what I've been going through with my career path. I am so glad to know that I am not alone. My family is really upset because I didn't continue with the teaching degree. I switched in my last year and sometimes I feel I made a mistake for not sticking through with it, but I know teaching is not for me. It's funny because my dad also wanted me to have the teaching degree as something to fall back on. What did you end up doing afterwards? I am not up to the master levels yet, so I might just stay with what I have and try to get an entry level job. The most I can do is to hope for the best.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

stierchyd147 in Randolph, New Jersey

31 months ago

Hi. I really appreciate your words of support. Why do people bother to go on if they have nothing encouraging, supportive, helpful, or relative to say? Anyway, I have one more unemployment check left, so in two weeks I will not have a cent coming in. I was making more on unemployment than I would make working two jobs considering what's out there, so I figured I would exhaust it, but didn't realize the end was so near. I won't give up, but I may be working at shoprite and waitressing to make ends meet... still with no benefits. You don't give up either... and thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

Lostandnotfound in Brooklyn, New York said: Omg, this sounds similar to what I've been going through with my career path. I am so glad to know that I am not alone. My family is really upset because I didn't continue with the teaching degree. I switched in my last year and sometimes I feel I made a mistake for not sticking through with it, but I know teaching is not for me. It's funny because my dad also wanted me to have the teaching degree as something to fall back on. What did you end up doing afterwards? I am not up to the master levels yet, so I might just stay with what I have and try to get an entry level job. The most I can do is to hope for the best.

I graduated from undergrad and went directly to grad school and got my masters in School Counseling. That was in December of 2006, and after that, I subbed, got a job as a dean of students at a middle school for the 2007/2008 school year, went back to subbing (permanent sub position) for the 2008/2009 school year, then subbed sporadically from 2009/2010, and got a job completely out of the field (a desk job at a start up company) in December of 2010-June of 2011, and then got my current job at a local non-profit in August 2011. All of the off times, I was unemployed. In fact, I was unemployed and on unemployment for most of 2009/2010. Do I still want to be a guidance counselor? Yes. But I'm happy where I am now, doing what I do. Good luck to you! Any questions, feel free to ask.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

tarc817 in Hauppauge, New York said: I graduated from undergrad and went directly to grad school and got my masters in School Counseling. That was in December of 2006, and after that, I subbed, got a job as a dean of students at a middle school for the 2007/2008 school year, went back to subbing (permanent sub position) for the 2008/2009 school year, then subbed sporadically from 2009/2010, and got a job completely out of the field (a desk job at a start up company) in December of 2010-June of 2011, and then got my current job at a local non-profit in August 2011. All of the off times, I was unemployed. In fact, I was unemployed and on unemployment for most of 2009/2010. Do I still want to be a guidance counselor? Yes. But I'm happy where I am now, doing what I do. Good luck to you! Any questions, feel free to ask.

It seems like the school counseling field is not worth it. Do you have a teaching license?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

Lostandnotfound in Brooklyn, New York said: It seems like the school counseling field is not worth it. Do you have a teaching license?

I do not have a teaching degree. I never wanted to be a teacher, so I didn't get my undergrad in teaching. My bachelor's is in human relations - all psychology & sociology. I went straight to grad school after graduating from undergrad.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

tarc817 in Hauppauge, New York said: I do not have a teaching degree. I never wanted to be a teacher, so I didn't get my undergrad in teaching. My bachelor's is in human relations - all psychology & sociology. I went straight to grad school after graduating from undergrad.

I understand. However, I read several people took the teaching state exams to be certified as a teacher. I guess to get their foot in the door as a school counselor. I believe in NY the only way to become a school counselor is to be a teacher for several years. Is subbing better than teaching for you? I don't mean to be invasive, but what kind of desk job are you doing? I guess I should forget about school counseling since I left teaching and my undergrad degree isn't in psychology or sociology.

31 months ago

Lostandnotfound in Brooklyn, New York said: I understand. However, I read several people took the teaching state exams to be certified as a teacher. I guess to get their foot in the door as a school counselor. I believe in NY the only way to become a school counselor is to be a teacher for several years. Is subbing better than teaching for you? I don't mean to be invasive, but what kind of desk job are you doing? I guess I should forget about school counseling since I left teaching and my undergrad degree isn't in psychology or sociology.

No, you absolutely do not have to have a teaching degree to be a guidance counselor in NY. In many other states, you have to have a teaching degree first. I have 6 years of schooling, and a masters degree that says "school counseling" from the New York State Department of Education. I can't even sub now in NY because I don't have a teaching degree. Years ago, basically anyone was able to sub, but back a few years ago, (I guess because there are so many out of work teachers on Long Island), they made a rule stating that only licensed teachers could sub.

I don't have a desk job anymore - I did from January 2011-June 2011. I was doing data entry. From August 2011-current, I travel to schools in my county and do presentations for kids about teen dating violence/domestic violence. I work for a local non-profit. I really enjoy it.

Seda10688 in Brookhaven, Pennsylvania

31 months ago

Hello everyone,

I read all of the comments on this discussion board and was just wondering if anyone in the school counseling field could give me any advice/feedback? I am currently pursuing my BA degree in Psychology along with a minor in Religion. I will graduate this upcoming May and hope to get into West Chester University's Counselor Education program to obtain a dual certification in elementary and secondary school counseling. During my undergrad, I have done several internships in the behavioral health field. As of right now, I am interning with the Philadelphia Education Fund in their College Access Program. I help promote awareness of the value and benefits of a college education and provide readiness services to students. It won't be a couple of years until I complete my Master's Degree in Counselor Education but any tips/pointers or even areas to look for a school counselor job would be very helpful. Thank you so much!

Anony in Charlotte, North Carolina

31 months ago

I graduated with an undergrad in Psych and Socy with a minor in Religious Studies. I will complete my Masters in School Counseling in Dec. Despite what others have said, I would say to still go for it. I love the setting and the work environment. Right now I'm just making connections and getting my name out there within the school district. Make sure you have people on your side and those that will help you get your foot in the door. Don't be hesitate with getting this degree. Just follow your heart. Plus you have another 2+ years until you get your degree. Don't fret now over it. :)

lcnr in Brooklyn, New York

31 months ago

Ok If you love Psych go for your Ph.D in Clinical. Gear it as closely to the medical field. There are many universities that offer a dual MA/Ph.D program. Avoid the field of elementary and secondary education. I'm currently, doing an advanced certificate in Mental Health Counseling and my Ph.D in General Psych. I want to service humanity but also not go hungry in the process. Good Luck, with whichever path you take. ;-)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Seda10688 in Brookhaven, Pennsylvania

31 months ago

Thank you both! After reading the previous comments, I felt a little discouraged. I knew it was a competitive field to get into but I would much rather do something that I am very passionate about rather than feel like I am stuck doing something that I am going to hate later on! Your feedback definitely helped! I am going to do more research :D Thanks again!! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

GSS in Virginia Beach, Virginia

30 months ago

Pat in Staunton, Virginia said: If you haven't gotten your Master's degree yet switch to a Master's in Social Work and then get your certification as a Licensed Clinical Social Worker. This degree provides a field of employment that is much more diverse. You can work in hospitals, for the military, Nursing Homes, Schools etc.

I have an LPC and four years ago went back and got my School Counseling License K-12. I do not like working in the school political environment and most of what I do is data entry. I am a slave to technology and have very little time to spend with students. Recently a Career Counselor was added to our school so now I don't even get to work with kids about careers anymore. If you want to get your LPC try working in a state and federally funded Community Services Board (if they have them in your state).

I totally agree with your comment and thanks for being candid. I worked as a H/S counseling for 4 yrs and it is very data based/academic police with unrealistic political expectations. I recently moved to Virginia Beach and I am really weighing the option of getting my LPC. School Counselors unfortunately have very little to do with counseling and that is truly sad. I think advocacy for what the position should include in needed. We are sophiscated secretaries- not that I am demeaning secretarial profession, but it's an insult to what we are trained for. If you really want to do some measure of counseling-I was told M/S is more like it, don't know for sure.

Paul House

30 months ago

I have just staring working on my Master’s in Counseling and Psychology, after I get my degree I can get my LPC and LPCC license. I really want to change school s and go into school counseling, will the change be worth it? I am in MN, and think I could market myself well as a school counselor. I also have family who work in school districts around town.
What would be better? Stay the course, or changing and getting the license I really want? Can you work in school with an LPC or LPCC?

Anony in Charlotte, North Carolina

30 months ago

You can go for your LPC in the schools. I will be going for it once I receive my degree. I hope to get my LPC to be versatile. I sit for the NCE soon, so in essence, YES.

Paul House

30 months ago

Anony in Charlotte, North Carolina said: You can go for your LPC in the schools. I will be going for it once I receive my degree. I hope to get my LPC to be versatile. I sit for the NCE soon, so in essence, YES.

Can you work in private schools in NC with an LPC then?

Worried in Long Beach, California

30 months ago

Paul, you can have other licenses but to be a school counselor you have to have your Masters Degree in School Counseling so you can get licensed with the State of Minnesota.
You also want to check to see how the economy looks for school counseling jobs in your area.
Also go to the Minnesota Department of Education website and check out what they require for a School Counselor License.
I hope that helps.

Paul House said: I have just staring working on my Master’s in Counseling and Psychology, after I get my degree I can get my LPC and LPCC license. I really want to change school s and go into school counseling, will the change be worth it? I am in MN, and think I could market myself well as a school counselor. I also have family who work in school districts around town.
What would be better? Stay the course, or changing and getting the license I really want? Can you work in school with an LPC or LPCC?

Katie in London, Ohio

29 months ago

I have a Master degree in School Counseling which I obtained in 2009. I was unable to find amployment as a school counselor in my area because I did not have a former teaching background, my Bachelor's degree was in Pscyhology and I found that schools were very hard to get into unless you had been teaching there or knew someone in administration. I felt very discouraged and decided to go ahead and pursue my License in Professional Counseling. I completed my second Master's and now have an LPC but also require an additional 3000 hours working under another Counselor before I can be an independent counselor. I am currently employed but only making 35k a year,have to work very long hours that I do not get compensated for and at the end of the day considering the unpaid hours needed to get my job done I make about $9.80 per hour. The insurance package is terrible, we have a very high deductable and basically have to cover our medicals costs out of pocket because of the high deductable. I would HIGHLY DISCOURAGE ANYONE FROM GOING INTO THE SCHOOL COUNSELING OR MENTAL HEALTH COUNSELING FIELD!!!!!!! I have huge student loans to repay, a low paying job with terrible benefits and work hours that are similar to what many people in retail industries have to work.The community mental health field also places productivity requirements on counselors menaing you have to see a certain number of people in a week or month in order to meet your productivity requirement. If you don't meet this, you get written up or fired. I did not go into this field to process people like cars on assembly line but this is what must be done in my setting to keep a job! Universities don't tell you the facts about these jobs, they enroll you and take your money and it is as someone else mentioned above almost a "scam". There simply aren't jobs for school counselors because in our state the elemnentary schools aren't required to have counselors, middle and high schools typically do but the jobs are few!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

missguided in Garden City, New York

29 months ago

tarc817 in Hauppauge, New York said: I've had my masters degree in school counseling for over 3 years now, and there are absolutely NO jobs on Long Island. I'm 27, sick of living at home, sick of subbing to just have a job, and sick of not even getting any interviews. My undergrad is in Human Relations (Psychology and Sociology), and I have no clue what else I can do with my degree. Anyone else in a similar situation? There's nothing else I want to do, and I don't really want to give up on being a guidance counselor, but I feel it's time to look, or at least have a Plan B. I feel like I'm back in high school or college, trying to figure out what I want to do for the rest of my life. I'm so frustrated. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

How did you get subbing jobs and/or experience with that? That is great experience! I feel the same way. I am considering getting a teacher assistant certificate but heard that this will be saturated with other current teachers and TA's since all the schools are closing and shifting around teachers.

MamaJ12 in Brigham City, Utah

29 months ago

I understand a lot of your frustrations. Counseling jobs are hard to get. They are rare, much more so than teaching positions, and when there's an opening there are so many applicants! I have been told that there were several reasons why I was hired, so I'll share those with you. The first, and I think, biggest advantage I had was that I speak Spanish. Having a second language is almost essential these days if you want to be competitive for a good job.
Also, I had the computer skills my school was looking for. Excel, data analysis, database experience are all very important in most school counseling positions.
I was told that I interviewed very well. I prepared like crazy for my interview. I read everything I could about the school and district. I knew a lot about the school going in, and so when they asked me why I wanted to work there, I had answers! I went through hundreds of possible interview questions beforehand, making sure I had answers for everything. I tend to be kind of quiet and reserved, and I had to really force myself to talk myself up as much as I could. I have been at my school now for two years. I admit, I was very fortunate - I have several friends who graduated with me who are still without counseling jobs. Hang in there!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

chrisgirl in Honolulu, Hawaii

29 months ago

Many ive known graduating with a MC end up getting jobs. Mental health and MF thearpy is where its at.. or a MSW..not school counseling.

kyteacher in Somerset, Kentucky

29 months ago

Can someone tell me if a superintendent is allowed to tell a principal who he can hire? I thought with SBDM councils in place, that wasn't supposed to happen.

Sg88 in Somerdale, New Jersey

29 months ago

chrisgirl in Honolulu, Hawaii said: Many ive known graduating with a MC end up getting jobs. Mental health and MF thearpy is where its at.. or a MSW..not school counseling.

Chris girl, what kinds of jobs have they gotten?! Just curious. Thank you!

CLU graduate 2012 in Los Angeles, California

29 months ago

Hi. I am graduating with school counseling degree this year (PPS credential).
It is obvious that there are no jobs available for a newly graduate like me here in Los Angeles.
Could anyone suggest me to get a certification or second master degree that would help me to get a job?
I was thinking about MS in Social Work, Special Education teaching credential, MFT, or behavioral therapy certification. Does anyone know which one is the useful and easy one to get with my counseling degree?

Can I get MSW with some additional classes, intern hours, and an exam? Does anyone know which school accepts a person with MS in counseling?

I heard that Azusa Pacific University may give me a MFT by taking four more courses, putting additional hours, and a state exam. Does some one know if this is true? Azusa is a bit far for me (I live in San Fernando Valley). If anyone knows other school in LA area, please let me know.

Thank you for your help!!!

Paul House

28 months ago

I don't know LA at all but I would think a lot of your credits would transfer over to the MSW degree.

My plan in MN is to get my LPCC and work in a clinic while I complete extra classes, and an internship for my LSC. I figure (like you) with experience and an extra license I should be able to get into a school.

I suggest contacting as many schools as you can and go with the one that takes the most credits from your school counseling degree. Fight for those transfers. Good luck. I would not go for another masters, there are other ways.

Look at post grad MSW programs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

CLU graduate 2012 in Los Angeles, California

28 months ago

Dear Paul House,

Thank you for your reply!!
I feel more hopeful and positive after reading your comments.

As far as I understand, LPCC is still new to California, and I am not sure how it would benefit me at this moment. Some of my friends are thinking about going for it, though...

I am more inclined to go for MSW. Thank you for telling me about the credit-transfer option over re-doing a master's degree program all over again. I am going to use your term "post grad MSW programs" for searching more opportunities in my area. Also, I will contact schools to see if they have such programs. Great advise!!

Thank you again for your reply. It's MUCH appreciated!!!

: )

Paul House said: I don't know LA at all but I would think a lot of your credits would transfer over to the MSW degree.

My plan in MN is to get my LPCC and work in a clinic while I complete extra classes, and an internship for my LSC. I figure (like you) with experience and an extra license I should be able to get into a school.

I suggest contacting as many schools as you can and go with the one that takes the most credits from your school counseling degree. Fight for those transfers. Good luck. I would not go for another masters, there are other ways.

Look at post grad MSW programs.

Paul House

28 months ago

No worries, and don't be afraid to ask what a school can do for you? Maybe a program can be created for you to get your MSW as a post grad. Put yourself out there as an asset to the school, your current experience and already completed master degree. Maybe offer to mentor others.

All the best,

Paul

28 months ago

Hello,
I use this website a lot and have given advice to others who were hoping to work as school counselors. Now I am seeking advice.
Here is the scoop (might be a little confusing).
I am working on my MA in Counseling and Psychological Services, here in Minnesota. I have completed two semesters and I really like the program I am in. The program will set me up for an LPC or LPCC license (licensed professional counselor or clinical counselor). Both are good career routes, and my current employer plays 2K a year towards my education.  Total savings approx. $8K.
But….there is always a but, I am being pulled towards school counseling, and have felt that they for the last five plus years. I have a couple of options following my MA in Counseling and Psychological Services to get a school counseling license or I could switch grad schools now and start working towards a degree in Adlerian Counseling and Psychotherapy, which would prepare me to take both my LPC and my school counseling exam in just a few years. This is a shorter route (shorter than staying where I am and doing a post grad in school counseling), where I end up with two licenses, and the school said they would work with me to combine as much as my field experience as possible.
Switching schools would be time consuming and the overall cost in the Adler program is approximately 5K more than the MA in Counseling and Psychological Services program. Would getting my MA, LPC and LSC in three to five years make me really marketable to a school district or over qualified? Is it worth getting the LPC to fall back on and to get my tuition reimbursement or not? Or should I cut my losses, stray where I am, and pursue a career in a clinic and not education. Pursue my calling are settle for a position I know I can create in my current company.
The only thing I am worried about with the time consuming option, MA, LPCC, work in the industry and then to my post grad is that I won’t actually follow thru. I will

Paul

28 months ago

I will get comfortable in a clinic and stay there.
Option 1) MA in Counseling and Psychological Services. Pursue an LPCC license and stay in current company working in a clinic. $13K
Option 2) MA in Counseling and Psychological Services. Pursue an LPCC license, and then go back for a post grad in school counseling. Do another field experience, and another internship. This route is the cheapest but would take years. $19K
Option 3) Leave the MA in Counseling and Psychological Services and start an MA in Adlerian counseling and psychotherapy. Combine my field experience. Pursue an LPC and an LSP right after school. Market myself to clinics and to schools. $21
My current credits would all transfer over to the Adler degree.
Any advice would be great, this is consuming me.
Thank you,

Paul

28 months ago

. I will get comfortable in a clinic and stay there.
Option 1) MA in Counseling and Psychological Services. Pursue an LPCC license and stay in current company working in a clinic. $13K
Option 2) MA in Counseling and Psychological Services. Pursue an LPCC license, and then go back for a post grad in school counseling. Do another field experience, and another internship. This route is the cheapest but would take years. $19K
Option 3) Leave the MA in Counseling and Psychological Services and start an MA in Adlerian counseling and psychotherapy. Combine my field experience. Pursue an LPC and an LSP right after school. Market myself to clinics and to schools. $21
Thank you,

kyteacher in London, Kentucky

28 months ago

Paul said: . I will get comfortable in a clinic and stay there.
Thank you,

Paul,
After all the posts here, surely you know that any degree in school counseling is going to be a complete waste of time. Please don't waste your money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

outofworkcounselor in Lancaster, California

28 months ago

I agree! school counseling jobs are very hard to find. My experience as a school counselor for the last 5 years (then laid off) is that teachers have priority over these jobs. Most counselors have been in the district for several years. decide to go into school counseling and get in. Even if you volunteer, network and kiss alot of fanny you may not even get in. The last position I went for and 300 others, the son of a school board member got the job. He had zero experience in counseling compared to others with awesome knowledge and experience. Go for something you love but can support you as well. sorry, I do not mean to sound rude, but un-employment is tough and so is only having 6 dollars in your account for gas.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Paul House

28 months ago

kyteacher in London, Kentucky said: Paul,
After all the posts here, surely you know that any degree in school counseling is going to be a complete waste of time. Please don't waste your money.

Thanks for the feedback, sounds like I should stop fixating on this now! How about counseling at a colege or university, does that require a Phd or PsyD. Does anyone know? I know you can work with students in that setting, and you can get some pretty good benefits too.

Chocolatemints in Ewa Beach, Hawaii

28 months ago

here's what i did...MOVE to Hawaii!!! there aren't many counselor position but you can get hired at Behavioral Health Specialist! As a MA in counseling or school counseling you are fully qualified for this position. You provide counseling to students and create behavioral plans. They have BHS for all grade level. It's a full time position with full benefits.

Here is a link to the DOE job site. Click on the Behavioral Health Specialist III job description and apply on line. If you are serious, start the application process NOW as it takes a while for it go through. Here is the link:

agency.governmentjobs.com/hawaiidoe/default.cfm

goodluck

Stephanie Rae in London, United Kingdom

27 months ago

Hi everyone,

I am a UK resident, single 25yr old mum currently studying Counselling and soon to go on to do my Masters. I am also a Youth Work Facilitator. I would really like to move to New York on completion with my daughter and practice Counselling in a community High School as well as practice Counselling within a prison institute. If I am being honest after reading these posts I feel a little disheartened however I am certainly not giving up. Can anyone offer me any advice on what I need to do or provide me with any information that will be helpful in furthering my goal as I am somewhat clueless at this moment. Any help will be appreciated.

Blessings to all.

Steph

Sonja in Austin, Texas

27 months ago

I would suggest looking into academic advising positions at your local community college. I was a middle school counselor in CA for 3 years before moving to TX, and took an advising position at a community college while I transferred my school counseling certification to Texas and waited on the right public school opening. After two years gaining a lot of valuable experience in college admissions, I have just recently been hired as a middle school counselor in a really great district and am happy to be transitioning back. Don't lose faith! This is a hard field, especially if you don't have teaching experience to back it (if you don't, become a substitute for a while and take on any long-term assignments that you can!, but I'm a firm believer in the right thing happening in its own time.

27 months ago

I just applied for an academic advising position at the community college. However, I believe top pay is about 42,000 & that is 10,000 less than I make teaching. I'm not sure I can afford the cut in pay even if they will hire me.

27 months ago

I just applied for an academic advising position at the community college. However, I believe top pay is about 42,000 & that is 10,000 less than I make teaching. I'm not sure I can afford the cut in pay even if they will hire me.

Kt1278 in Mckinney, Texas

27 months ago

Melissa in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: I just went to yet another school counselor job interview and got a letter, the next day, saying I was not selected....does that sound like they needed to interview a qualified candidate so they could give the job to the person they knew had it already or what? I have years of experience, none teaching, and currently work in research for the lady who invented the Depression Inventory for kids! I have my Student Assistance Certification and my LPC!!! Still, no luck yet and many other people I graduated with - in 2007 - are in the same boat!!!! Do not go to school for school counseling if you can choose now. If you already did, best of luck to you! I am disappointed that all the money and years I have spent at school/working have amounted to only a "casual" position = money but no benefits! I wish you all the best of luck.

I'm not sure what state you are in, but NO district in Texas will hire you without teaching experience! I taught for ten years before I got a middle school counselor position. The two problems are: budgets for counseling positions, and most principals want someone with a lot of experience in school/ classrooms! You ladies are freaking out for nothing! Also, the better the program you get your masters degree at, the more prepared you will be! There is still a need for QUALIFIED Counselors in schools, but it must be more than your "paper" qualifications! Keep trying, every person these days had to get rejected many times, no matter what industry you work in.
Last thing, maybe your resume and interview skills need some tweaking. Just a thought....

27 months ago

Melissa in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: I just went to yet another school counselor job interview and got a letter, the next day, saying I was not selected....does that sound like they needed to interview a qualified candidate so they could give the job to the person they knew had it already or what? I have years of experience, none teaching, and currently work in research for the lady who invented the Depression Inventory for kids! I have my Student Assistance Certification and my LPC!!! Still, no luck yet and many other people I graduated with - in 2007 - are in the same boat!!!! Do not go to school for school counseling if you can choose now. If you already did, best of luck to you! I am disappointed that all the money and years I have spent at school/working have amounted to only a "casual" position = money but no benefits! I wish you all the best of luck.

I'm not sure what state you are in, but NO district in Texas will hire you without teaching experience! I taught for ten years before I got a middle school counselor position. The two problems are: budgets for counseling positions, and most principals want someone with a lot of experience in school/ classrooms! You ladies are freaking out for nothing! Also, the better the program you get your masters degree at, the more prepared you will be! There is still a need for QUALIFIED Counselors in schools, but it must be more than your "paper" qualifications! Keep trying, every person these days had to get rejected many times, no matter what industry you work in.
Last thing, maybe your resume and interview skills need some tweaking. Just a thought....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

Sorry, I see you are in Pittsburgh. Don't know what the status of that state is, but you should probably teach and get to know people in the district that way. Then, you'll have great references when a job comes up. It's also easier to get a job counseling in an urban district. It's harder, but a good experience!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Pbmannes in Westland, Michigan

27 months ago

AMEN!!! I just got an interview for a school counseling position at a middle school and it went REALLY well. I think I will get the job, but a) I taught for 5 years, and b) I have counseling experience with mental health, substance abuse, and students in transition, but even if I don't get this job I will KEEP trying and look for ways to improve my resume and applications and interviews because this is my purpose. I agree people, look inside yourself and examine your "excuses" and challenge them. If this is what you are meant to do, IT WILL HAPPEN! Just trust in the Universe, God, or whatever you believe in and don't let your excuses keep you from moving forward!!

Harmony in Brooklyn, New York

27 months ago

I am sure your voice alone represents the 2 million unemployed people. It is wonderful that you found employment! I take it it was not in career counseling? Being judgmental and critical doesn't provide positive feedback. Providing further training in interviewing, resume building, including building up self-esteem. After time being unemployed brings on loss of purpose and depression. Even counselors are human. Provide guidance and encouragement don't demean the others that are struggling in so many ways.

JC in Mableton, Georgia

27 months ago

Thank you!...I mean what ever happened to EMPATHY??? Remember that quality your professor talked about on the first day of grad school? If you watch the news you understand how the economy has made it difficult for many people to find employment in ANY field. There are people who've been unemployed for years, not because there's something wrong with them but because the longer you are out of work and the older you are the harder it is to get back into the workforce. This can have a very negative impact of self-esteem and create a sense of hopelessness...understandably so. If you've been paying attention to this forum as well as the ASCA Scene you can see that the School Counseling filed has historically been difficult do break into...has nothing to do with people not being qualified. I found myself in the same boat as many of you who cannot find jobs, so I understand. I recently asked myself what else is it I'm passionate about?.....Whether it will allow me to use this degree or not and I am focusing on job hunting with that in mind! Keep your heads up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Pbmannes in Loves Park, Illinois

27 months ago

This is a good lesson in resiliency. The school counseling profession is difficult to get into, and it typically takes a lot of legwork. This blog can be helpful and useful if you take the information and use it to your advantage. No one should be attacking anyone, but change requires complete acceptance of and acknowledgement that your current state or methods aren't working. Keep trying, yes it's difficult, but don't give up and go above and beyond to get the job you want, it will happen for those who don't give up! No judgement here AT ALL, just encouraging suggestions...

Page:  « First « Previous   2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.