I want to go back into College Access Counseling.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1)

MissWhit in Houston, Texas

71 months ago

Hi! I am 25 years old and I have 2 years of working in a high school as a college access counselor through a state grant/inititative (helping at-risk kids prepare for college). I earned my M.Ed last year in Instructional Leadership and Counselor Education w/ a certificate in Academic Advising. Since late September 2010, I am currently an admissions counselor for a university here in Houston and I was thinking about staying in Higher Ed. But I miss being in a high school, being in charge is a whole senior class making sure they do have plans for after high school, doing application workshops, financial aid workshops, college search workshops with them, ALL OF THOSE THINGS! So I know I'd have to be a guidance counselor, but I don't want to have to teach to get there.

Is it possible if I earn either my LPC, MSW, OR LMSW, I could get around that to where I could get back to working in the schools? Or do I have to earn my PhD? Or maybe with an LPC, I could start my own program/practice within the community?

What do you all think? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :-)

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.