Am I too ugly to become a hairstylist

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (25)

prettygirl in Nepean, Ontario

58 months ago

Hi folks, me too I would like to become a hairstylist I like the salon admosphere;however, I am a little consern about my face apparence since I have many pinple spot and skars from chiken pox. My face really looks ugly. I know most of you will think that it won't matter as long as I do a good job, but come on who would not gross out when they see such an ugly face? It is not a luck of confidence because a do have confidence, but it can still be pain full if anybody says they won't like me to cut their hair. Please any comments
Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Heather in Lake Mary, Florida

58 months ago

Yeah totally because you know being a hair stylist matters on how you look.

The answer is no!
It doesn't matter on how you look,it matters on your talent as being a hair stylist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

pretty girl in Kanata, Ontario

58 months ago

Heather in Lake Mary, Florida said: Yeah totally because you know being a hair stylist matters on how you look.

The answer is no!
It doesn't matter on how you look,it matters on your talent as being a hair stylist.

Thank you for your comment, but I did get because you first said it would matter, and in the other said it won't, so which one is it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

pretty girl in Kanata, Ontario said: Thank you for your comment, but I did get because you first said it would matter, and in the other said it won't, so which one is it?

Thank you for your comment; however, I didn't get it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Happppy hairdresser in Kanata, Ontario

56 months ago

Heather in Lake Mary, Florida said: Yeah totally because you know being a hair stylist matters on how you look.

The answer is no!

WELL, I DO THINK IT MATTER.
GOOD LUCK

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Steve in Murfreesboro, Tennessee

55 months ago

I could honestly care less about how the person look who cuts my hair. I have to walk out of the place with the hair cut, not the girl or guy who cut it. So, all that matters to me is the quailty of the haircut.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

nimm in Nashville, Tennessee

55 months ago

no it dont matter if your ugly oh well it dont matter not everybody looks gud gosh and most pretty people got sumthing wrong with them

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sara in Scarborough, Ontario

54 months ago

you have to bother how your hairstylist looks because if she cannot put herself together why would she bother to do a good job, she needs to look the part. nobody is ugly it's all perception

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

unicorns in Portland, Oregon

54 months ago

Hi little lady. I think your problem stems from the acne. If I am right, then I think you have little to worry about. I think everyone knows you cannot help the severity of your acne.

However, I do think your physical appearance matters a bit. Maybe not your skin so much, but how you're put together (ie your makeup or outfit). Don't worry about your skin, you can't fix that. But what you can do is give yourself every other advantage! Go for it girl! You only live once!!!!

Hope this helps (:

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Francesca Hughes in Romulus, Michigan

53 months ago

If you feel like your skin makes you less confident you can go to a department store and get matched with a good oil free full coverage foundation (make sure you wash it off every night)they can tell you how to apply it or you can watch makeup application videos on you-tube,society should except people the way they are but generally a lot of people don't some people may except you for your personality, but in our shallow society image is very important. I've also noticed that people will also treat you according to your own confidence level if you act like or think you look ugly people out side of your family and friends will probably not treat you much better than you treat yourself however if you are confident in your self the will reflect also.

DANA in Palatine, Illinois

52 months ago

Are you serious? LOL! I don't care if my stylist is "ugly" I care if they're good. I care if they listen and give me good feedback.

If you're an understanding person and helpful and want to make people feel their best, who cares what you look like!

I've seen some stylists that are "TO up from the FLo UP" and do amazing work and I've seen some "hot" ones do crap work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

dnd in Portland, Oregon

52 months ago

What I care more about is how my stylist's hair/makeup/clothes look. I want someone who looks fashionable, well kept and up-to-date.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

lulu in Jersey City, New Jersey

52 months ago

Have you considered make up? believe me, make up works miracles.

prettygirl in Nepean, Ontario in Kanata, Ontario

49 months ago

Thank you all for you commens.

Tom in Westborough, Massachusetts

49 months ago

First of all, some of the most beautiful women I've ever seen had some acne. It has nothing to do with whether you are hot or not. As far as hair, I have had some pretty women do a horrible job on my hair. I have had not so pretty women do a great job on my hair. So, be good at your job and remember a woman can be smoking hot and have acne too. The 2 things are NOT mutually exclusive. Now grab those scissors and kick some ass. I would not have responded to this unless I knew I was right.

Pking in Fayetteville, North Carolina

49 months ago

I Doesn't matter how you look, but how you carry yourself

CosStudent in Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania

48 months ago

prettygirl in Nepean, Ontario said: Hi folks, me too I would like to become a hairstylist I like the salon admosphere;however, I am a little consern about my face apparence since I have many pinple spot and skars from chiken pox. My face really looks ugly. I know most of you will think that it won't matter as long as I do a good job, but come on who would not gross out when they see such an ugly face? It is not a luck of confidence because a do have confidence, but it can still be pain full if anybody says they won't like me to cut their hair. Please any comments
Thank you

It will definitely matter. Clients don't want to go to people that appear like they don't take care of themselves. However, if the red scars is your only cosmetic issue, just get some green color corrector concealer. You can find it all over. I know it sounds strange but the green counteracts the red. apply it to all red areas prior to applying foundation. Do not blend yet. Then apply a full coverage foundation and then start blending it altogether. Make sure to set it with powder and your done. I have similar issues with my face. I look terrible without makeup. I am a cosmetology student and I never go to school without using my green corrector and Revlon Colorstay foundation.

B42 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

48 months ago

I am saddened this is even a question on here. I've never given any thought to my stylists' facial features. Ever. I just want my hair to be done by someone that is dressed professionally, but most of all that HAS GOOD HAIR! Who cares what you look like? And I know you say you have self-confidence but someone that would ask that question obviously has some issues. It shouldn't even have crossed your mind; if you are good at what you do, that's what you need to be concerned with. If you're that upset about your facial appearance how can you even get through an interview without feeling uncomfortable? Trust me, your lack of self-esteem will show, and the hiring manager will see that. Don't worry about what your face looks like. It truly doesn't matter. Plus, WE always think WE look worse than everybody else actually does. WE're our harshest critics. If you find yourself thinking about this too much, some counseling may be in order. I say that with kindness - I've been through it for similar issues and it helped me immensely. Good luck.

47 months ago

Tom in Westborough, Massachusetts said: First of all, some of the most beautiful women I've ever seen had some acne. It has nothing to do with whether you are hot or not. As far as hair, I have had some pretty women do a horrible job on my hair. I have had not so pretty women do a great job on my hair. So, be good at your job and remember a woman can be smoking hot and have acne too. The 2 things are NOT mutually exclusive. Now grab those scissors and kick some ass. I would not have responded to this unless I knew I was right.

Thank you your so cute!

47 months ago

pretty girl in Kanata, Ontario said: Thank you your so cute!

I meant you are so cute!

GIRL IN OTTAWA in Kanata, Ontario

47 months ago

Hi everyone,I just wanted to thanks all of you for the encouragement; I'm so happy to let you know that I am going to start school in about two weeks.
Thank you

Dean Kinslow in Richardson, Texas

32 months ago

Does not matter what you look like at all. The girl that cuts my hair is butt fugly but she does a fantastic job. She has been cutting my hair for 3 years now and if she changes to work at another salon then I follow her because she is that good. Go for it!!

pinkfusion in California

32 months ago

Hi I know this post is a bit old but I think its an important topic....

While there are some of us that would go to a stylist regardless of how they look, if you want to make a lot of money unfortunately your appearance is going to be important.

If you have acne scarring I would look into TCA peels... it helps a LOT. There is no reason to go through the rest of your life with scars.

Iammeok in Luton, United Kingdom

13 months ago

Well people will say it does not matter...but the fact of the matter it that it does. an employer will always hire some1 who looks better then some1 who dont as looks will = more business for the employer. they will not admit it but they will do it. im not even trying to apply for customer facing roles but i get discriminated against becuase my natural expression looks angry/sad and i find it difficult to smile. really pissing me off and if it continues i feel i have no option but to end my life.

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

13 months ago

When I had beautiful long wavy hair I go and ask for the 300 pound whale name Melissa because she always did a fantastic job on me. Tipped her well too! Nice girl, we went to the movies once, couldn't fit in the theatre chair.

Years later when I had no hair I'd go into the same salon and ask for the hot model chick cause no matter how bad a stylist she was one can't mess up giving someone a crew cut. Nice girl also, we went to the movies once, every guy was staring.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.