California Hair Stylist Certification

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (39)

Joe B. in Aurora, Illinois

84 months ago

My wife and I are moving to San Diego in January. She is licensed in the state of Illinois, but has told me that she thinks she needs more hours of class-work in order to become certified in CA.

Can somebody explain to me the credentials needed to obtain a CA License?

Are there any suggestions for schools in San Diego area anyone would like to recommend?

Thanks for your help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Katie B. in San Diego, California

84 months ago

California's State Board requires 1600 hours to obtain a cosmetology license. I think that IL's requirement is 1200 hours(?). Upon moving to California, the additional hours must be made up, in order to become licensed. The CA State Board Exam must also be taken upon completion of the required 1600 hours. I'm an instructor at Paul Mitchell the School, in downtown San Diego. I graduated from PMTS, became an educator (while also working in the salon), and fully recommend it to anyone who is looking for an amazing, quality education. I would not have gone anywhere else! The program is great and I would fully suggest looking into attending. If you have any questions, feel free to email me KBiebel773@hotmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Stephanie Coderre in Brockton, Massachusetts

83 months ago

See, I'm from Massachusetts, but I am currently a student at Toni and Guy Hair Academy in Rhode Island where we have to finish 1500 hours. At the end of my phase I'm looking to head to the west coast. Therefore, how would I go about making up only 100 hours?

Thanks!<3

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Barbara LeMonnier in Tinley Park, Illinois

82 months ago

My daughter received her hair license in California. She has moved home for right now. Is she qualified to do hair in Illinois now or does she need to get certification in Illinois? If so what steps does she need to take to get certified in Illinois? Will she have to give up her California license to get an Illinois license? If she moves back to California will her California license still be accepted?
Thanks much!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Sarah in Portland, Oregon

80 months ago

I am a licensed hair stylist in oregon, if i move to california do i have to be fully liscensed to work there? also i did competency and completed hair in 500 hours. will i have to go back to school?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Renee Nelson in Bakersfield, California

79 months ago

I live in Bkersfield california i almost completed my 1600 hours about 5 years ago. Ive contacted the school and even though they told me my hours would be frozen forever and i could return anytime and pick up where i left off, they refuse to let me pick up where i left off.How do I know if this is really true? I dont have 40 hours a week to go thriugh school all over again, Are there any other ways to get my liscence? Are all those hors down the drain?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Dana Mc in South, Mississippi

78 months ago

you must inquire to the state board of the state which you are wanting to move your license to. They will tell you if they have resprocity or if you must take more hours or a test is required. It only takes going to that states website and looking up a number and calling, it is the easiest and most accurate way...happy hairstyling!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

rechell in Salem, Oregon

73 months ago

im going to school for hair in oregon and thinking about moving to cali. do i have to get my hole cosmotolgy license? or can i just do hair in cali i know i will have the hours its just the license part that i need to know about

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Theresa Manfreda in Cleveland, Ohio

67 months ago

i live in cleveland ohio and am looking to move to san diego, ca. i attended the brown aveda institute and completed 1500 hours of cosmetology. my concern is how much would it be to take another 100 hours and where would state board be located at?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Melanie in Irvine, California

66 months ago

Renee Nelson in Bakersfield, California said: I live in Bkersfield california i almost completed my 1600 hours about 5 years ago. Ive contacted the school and even though they told me my hours would be frozen forever and i could return anytime and pick up where i left off, they refuse to let me pick up where i left off.How do I know if this is really true? I dont have 40 hours a week to go thriugh school all over again, Are there any other ways to get my liscence? Are all those hors down the drain?

You should be able to transfer them to another school. Go to your state board website and ask. They should be able to tell you for sure

BeautyLounger in Poway, California

66 months ago

Hi. I know you have to go back to school no matter what to become certified in california, and I am pretty sure you also are required to take the california state board licencing exams even though your licenced in other states. If anyone is coming to San Diego, I highly recommend attending California Hair Design Accademy. They have the highest passing rate for the state board exams, and there goal is to get you to pass. Save the fancy name education for later, concentrate on passing that state board first! Paul Mitchel is a great name to have on your resume, and I think its a great school for learning their product line, and cool creative hair cuts. It is NOT a good school to learn the state board exam, and does not have the best passing rate. I know this for a fact. thanks! and good luck to all!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

BeautyLounger in Poway, California

66 months ago

Katie B. in San Diego, California said: California's State Board requires 1600 hours to obtain a cosmetology license. I think that IL's requirement is 1200 hours(?). Upon moving to California, the additional hours must be made up, in order to become licensed. The CA State Board Exam must also be taken upon completion of the required 1600 hours. I'm an instructor at Paul Mitchell the School, in downtown San Diego. I graduated from PMTS, became an educator (while also working in the salon), and fully recommend it to anyone who is looking for an amazing, quality education. I would not have gone anywhere else! The program is great and I would fully suggest looking into attending. If you have any questions, feel free to email me KBiebel773@hotmail.com

My sister in law attended Paul Mitchel the school in san diego, and she knew the product line, and color like the back of her hand. Unfortunalety at 1300 hours she still was not well educated on the state board licencing exams, and was not going to be educated much on it at all, even though this school says they will teah you it, there primary goal is teaching paul mitchel products, and having you learn their color line and making them money on the floor. Thats it! I also knopw several other students who graduated from there, and did not pass their state boards. Paul Mitchel is a great name to have on the resume, but...your nothing with out your licence in california, I recommend looking at the passing rates of each school out here, and choosing from there, you can always add high end names in education later.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

hairstylist in Camarillo, California

63 months ago

I am a Hair Stylist in Mexico, I graduated a couple of years ago, no I live in California, I need to know if I have to go back to school, or if there is a way to get my license so I can start working.

futureprofess in Chicopee, Massachusetts

60 months ago

BeautyLounger in Poway, California said: My sister in law attended Paul Mitchel the school in san diego, and she knew the product line, and color like the back of her hand. Unfortunalety at 1300 hours she still was not well educated on the state board licencing exams, and was not going to be educated much on it at all, even though this school says they will teah you it, there primary goal is teaching paul mitchel products, and having you learn their color line and making them money on the floor. Thats it! I also knopw several other students who graduated from there, and did not pass their state boards. Paul Mitchel is a great name to have on the resume, but...your nothing with out your licence in california, I recommend looking at the passing rates of each school out here, and choosing from there, you can always add high end names in education later.

i had a great experience at Paul Mitchell the school. they do teach you everything you need to know. as long as your heart is in your studies and you are willing to study and have the dedication to do well and prepare for the test. then you're fine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

colourtech in Hattiesburg, Mississippi

60 months ago

I have a stylist who was educated at PM and took her State Board in Cal. she did great, has her license there. She is about to take her Ms boards so she can come to work for me. She had no complaints at all about the school or the education she received.

My son has a friend who also went to another PM school but was unable to finish due to family issues but she is very knowledgeable.. I think you get out of it what you put into it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ashley Schafer in Parker, Colorado

59 months ago

i am currently completing my hair stylist licensing which requires 1200 hours in the state of Colorado. I am wondering if I move to California is it possible to make up the extra 400 hours to complete California's requirements?
Thank you very much,
Ashley Schafer

camo115@yahoo.co.uk in Manchester, United Kingdom

59 months ago

hi i am a stylist in the uk what the best way of getting a job in califoria la wil i have do 1600 hours at school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

aj in Oak Park, Illinois

59 months ago

camo115@yahoo.co.uk in Manchester, United Kingdom said: hi i am a stylist in the uk what the best way of getting a job in califoria la wil i have do 1600 hours at school.

hi im a stylist in chicago il.and hoping to live and work as a hairstylist/makeup artist in the UK,how would one have to have license,work permit...etc?

jsouza57 in Dublin, California

58 months ago

I am moving from California to Oregon. Can I just transfer my CA license to that state?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

letty83 in Budapest, Hungary

58 months ago

gyertek a hairnet6.comra a világ első online fodrászversenye

letty83 in Szeged, Hungary

58 months ago

Come to hairnet6.com to the world's first on-line hairdressing competition.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

kim in Phoenix, Arizona

57 months ago

Katie B. in San Diego, California said: California's State Board requires 1600 hours to obtain a cosmetology license. I think that IL's requirement is 1200 hours(?). Upon moving to California, the additional hours must be made up, in order to become licensed. The CA State Board Exam must also be taken upon completion of the required 1600 hours. I'm an instructor at Paul Mitchell the School, in downtown San Diego. I graduated from PMTS, became an educator (while also working in the salon), and fully recommend it to anyone who is looking for an amazing, quality education. I would not have gone anywhere else! The program is great and I would fully suggest looking into attending. If you have any questions, feel free to email me KBiebel773@hotmail.com

im a hair designer in vegas i would have to go back to school to be able to work in cali right?

roobi in Reseda, California

55 months ago

i need to start for hairstylist competitione in california whocan i star i have cosmetolog lic from,CA

mrslisaupshaw@hotmail.com in Minneapolis, Minnesota

48 months ago

Hi...was wondering if you could give me some info on some salons in the better area of San Diego...planning to move there in a year or so.thanks.

nealloveslana@aol.com in Republic, Missouri

46 months ago

I was a lisenced cosmetologist in California from 1984 to 1998.what do I need to do to get my licence back since I did not renew it?

Mikki in Mesa, Arizona

45 months ago

Is anybody interested in posting their email address so that a stylist or student can contact you? I know someone who graduated from Kohler Academy in Scottsdale, AZ a few months ago. She now lives in the San Diego area and had the DVD's mailed to her so she could study for the California test to get her license there. The DVD's make no sense and include a lot of things she was never taught and she'd like to ask someone some questions who has taken the California test, etc etc.....Thanks!!

Rainey Emerson in Oceanside, California

45 months ago

I graduated school in AZ, and am scheduled to take the Cali state boards in 1 month. I need to know the best possible way to study so that I can pass, and what exactly I need for my kit.

pedro barea in saratoga, California

45 months ago

I have a brand new hair salon in saratoga california. the stylists was from spain we open in december 2010 and now we have more than 200 clients. He just left to spain and i don't have any stylist at this moment he was the only one who was doing the work with my wife as an assistant. We both dont know nothing about this cain of business. The salon looks great and the location is excelent. It's somebody interesting to run this Salon also I'm the distributor for Hair Salons Products From Spain

45 months ago

I'm looking for hairstylists who want to work in a salon in saratoga california

45 months ago

I'm looking also for somebody who want to sell salons products to the profesionals here in california I have the distributions you can check the webside www.hipertin.com they have been on the market since 1944 great products for take care of your hair with KERATINE

DarlaMay559 in Fresno, California

45 months ago

im am going to school for my cosmetology i have already completed my 1600 hours i live in california the school i go to requires you to be in the classroom for 6weeks now im paying 9 an hour so thats 2ooo is there anyway i could transfer to a different school in california to get graduate =( so dont know what to do

CrystalBrighton in Emmett, Idaho

35 months ago

Hello,
My boyfriend is going to school to obtain a hair cutters liscense. We currently live in Idaho but when he is graduated from the school we are moving to California, Can you transfer a Hair Cutters liscense in Cali?? if anyone knows this answer please let me know!

Thank you for your time.
Crystal

35 months ago

Leed to have At leas 3year with The license or will have to do an exam

Whisky8764 in Portland, Oregon

34 months ago

I am a licensed Hair Stylist in Oregon. Attended Paul Mitchell School in Portland and I am moving to Mexico in the summer. I have been searching online for information and have come up pretty empty. How do I transfer my license to Mexico in order to work? If any of you have any ideas I would welcome them. I don't even know where to start. Moving there is easier than this part! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Frankie in West Sacramento, California

31 months ago

I attend Paul Mitchell "the school" in Sacramento, Ca. I have been attending one year now and in my time I have watched dozens and dozens of people graduate and take the test, and yet to have seen maybe one person fail. Their passing rate is extremely high. Yet, I don't agree with the exclusiveness on using their product, they're training on passing the state board is exceptional. I just go by what Ive experienced and seen..and there is no argument whatsoever...Paul Mitchells students are very successful compared to most schools....

Mich in Caledon, Ontario

31 months ago

Lucky in Danville, California said: I have a hair stylist diploma from Canada and currenly I am living in California... Can I use my Candian diploma to wire up exam for CA hair stylist certification.... any advise will be really appreciate.....
Thanks,

Did you get a reply in regards to your question?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

shadi samaan in Kuwait, Kuwait

31 months ago

hi all i need a hair stylist in kuwait for shadi Mirkhan's saloon if any one interested about my post just tell me , thanks.

nicola in Hartwell, United Kingdom

30 months ago

hi all

I work with a young lad in south wales uk and he is very interested in becoming a hair stylist in LA America.

He currently works with a reputable company called Tony & Guy and has been offered a placement in their salon in London, which proves his capabilities are remarkable. However, his desire to move to America.

I was wondering if anyone had any idea how he could go about achieving this, either applying by visa or getting some sort of apprentiship.

Thank you very much

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

redreose in San Jose, California

6 months ago

pedro barea in saratoga, California said: I'm looking also for somebody who want to sell salons products to the profesionals here in california I have the distributions you can check the webside www.hipertin.com they have been on the market since 1944 great products for take care of your hair with KERATINE

Hi, I was wondering, would you still need someone, now to do the sales?
I am an experienced stylist, and have years of experience in sales and marketing online/offline. Looking forward to hear from you. Thanks.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.