Can I make a decent living being a hairstylist?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 97 of 97)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

tracyw in Boca Raton, Florida

55 months ago

brittanyy521 in Utica, New York said: --screw that! if you love your job and you are GOOD at what you do, you will do FINE. i've been licensed for 2 yrs & only started building clientelle within the past yr and already have enough money for a down payment on a house & im 20 yrs old! everyone is different ; dont scare ppl away from something they want to do just because you're no good at it!

Hi brittanyy521 - I'm an entrepreneur in Florida. I'm running some marketing tests for a new follow-up system for hair salons which will result in great repeat business and referrals. I would be happy to give you more info if you're interested. Thanks. TW

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ABR in New York, New York

55 months ago

Can anyone help me out by telling me any reputable and affordable beauty schools? I'm on unemployment right now and i'd like to do something with hair or learning how to give facials, massages, etc. Either one is a skill i'd like to learn and I dont care so much about making money as my primary income, would just like to learn an extra skill and to make some extra $$. BTW I live in manhattan

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Devon in San Diego, California

54 months ago

brittanyy521 in Utica, New York said: --screw that! if you love your job and you are GOOD at what you do, you will do FINE. i've been licensed for 2 yrs & only started building clientelle within the past yr and already have enough money for a down payment on a house & im 20 yrs old! everyone is different ; dont scare ppl away from something they want to do just because you're no good at it!

Being a stylist take more than just being great at hair, you have to have the overal look and personality. Professionalism!!! Even in this economy stylist are making good pay. Depends on you where you work and again you!! Your entire presentation!! I just started off and doing great! I have friends that are in the business for only 4 years and are making 65,000 a year net and others who are making 125,000.00 a year. If you make this decision go to Paul Mitchell... very professional, Im so glad I chose this school... I researched many many school... DO it if you love hair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Liz in Clarkesville, Georgia

54 months ago

I am a 32 year old disabled mother and need income! I saw your ad and wondered how I could get started moderating forums? Do you have websites you can refer me to? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Liz

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

jknurse in Columbia City, Indiana

54 months ago

Ok... let me give you the low down on nursing. I have been a Registered Nurse for 18 years. I do not want to scare anyone away from this profession at all, however those inquiring about this area needs to know the pros and cons. The days of starting off on "5 days a week, day shifts" are gone. If you are a new nurse, you will likely be placed on midnights, evenings or swing shift. I have worked from days, evenings and midnights all in the same week. It wore me out. The pay is great but it's extremely stressful and challenging. Also you need to know that if your "replacement" nurse (the one coming on after you) calls off, you HAVE to stay no matter what. You have to be extremely flexible with your schedule. Also, if you are lucky to have a day shift position. Watch out, there's nurses out there wanting that position too and will do anything to get it. Have to work holidays. Pro's.. good pay, various fields, job growth. If you're in it for the love of caring for others, go for it.. but if you're looking for $$, the stress is not worth it. I'm actually in Cosmetology school and continue to work as a nurse. I am very interested in the Medical Esthetician field and looking forward to combining my degrees.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

themreiso in Satellite Provider

54 months ago

thanx alot guys..!
evry cnvrsation out ter, relly helps me..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

mscooljo in Catskill, New York

54 months ago

ashkaylin said: I have been a hairstylist for 23 years. It's a tricky business and very hard work if you want to make good money. Your paycheck depend on if someone cancels or keeps an appointment for that day or week. I have a daughter in college right now and one in high school. If she asked me about going to beauty school instead of college, I would tell her not to do it. I am burned out with hair right now, so I decided to take a break, but I don't have a backup now. If I had gone to college and decided on beauty school as a backup, I would be fine right now. Luckily, my husband makes pretty good money while I try to go back to school to get a degree at my age. So, I advice you honey, to stay in college and finish. You maybe tire of it, but you will look back on your decision in 20 years and be greatful. You can go to beauty school as a secondary choice later. I have back pain and developed allergies to the chemicals also. Good luck!

It's funny but I am a nurse who has just begun cos...I tried when I was 18 and my Dad got sick so I had to work. Then I tried a couple of years ago and picked a terrible school-now, the 3rd time is the charm. Here's my point-if you have a passion for something then it's not a burden. I love cos and I will do great because of that. Ya know, there are other options besides just doing the salon thing. You can teach, you can sell products-be a rep. There are so many choices. If you are burned out then find something to inspire you again...but don't leave what you know so well!

Goood luck right back atcha!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

sldesigns1 in Lakeside, California

54 months ago

Devon in San Diego, California said: Being a stylist take more than just being great at hair, you have to have the overal look and personality. Professionalism!!! Even in this economy stylist are making good pay. Depends on you where you work and again you!! Your entire presentation!! I just started off and doing great! I have friends that are in the business for only 4 years and are making 65,000 a year net and others who are making 125,000.00 a year. If you make this decision go to Paul Mitchell... very professional, Im so glad I chose this school... I researched many many school... DO it if you love hair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was wondering what type of salon you work at and about what part of town in San Diego, I am from San Diego

Bri in Bayville, New Jersey

54 months ago

i have an associates degree in science and i am going to school in the fall for cosmetology.. is there any jobs i can combine both or any chance i can make a little extra as a cosmetologist with a degree?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Michele in New York Mills, New York

53 months ago

I am 22 years old and started working as a salon owner assistant right after I graduated HS. I also got my associates degree in general education. I've always wanted to be a hair stylist and cannot think of anything else I would want to do as a career. A year or so after starting I started gradually doing a client of my own here and there. It is now 2012 and I work about 30-40 hrs per week working as an assistant as well as at my own booth.

I get paid hourly, tips plus do not have to pay for supplies or my booth. Instead, I get 40% commission on any services I do. Right now I average about $500 per week (tax free)..some weeks closer to 600. I am still working on building up my clientele and I've just recently become more motivated to advertise more to gain more clients. I feel at this point I can only go up from here but have been feeling very stressed about money. I know the average person in my area earns a salary around $30,000-35,000 before taxes so being that I make around $26,000-28,000 seems decent for my age and experience.

I've recently started taking an online makeup artist class to start offering makeup application for special occasions. I guess I am just looking for some encouragement that I can only go up from here as I go into the future. I guess what it also comes down to is I would rather enjoy my job than hate it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Katherine in Cleveland, Mississippi

53 months ago

Can anyone figure out what's a good cosmetology school in Mississippi? Even better if someone could find the best one. I'm having a hard time finding this information.

Bluetea in Texas

53 months ago

jaigi said: I have a simple question...what is the typical price for COSMO SCHOOL?? I am enrolled, I don't start untill a couple of weeks the tuition is like $$20,000, to me this seems expensive! Does it matter wht school you go to? Is the cirriculam the same? Thank you

My sister and I both have college degrees but we talked her daughter (my niece) out of college! Instead, she went to a community college beauty school.

This was over 10 years ago and she never had a student loan, she has never been laid off and now, after 10 years in the business, makes pretty good money. She works at an upscale salon.

My niece says that it doesn't matter what school you go to as long as you get your license. The reason why cosmetology school is so expensive now is that all the people with useless college degrees and who can't find jobs are going back to get their license and the beauty schools are making money hand over fist now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jessie in virginia in Phillipsburg, New Jersey

53 months ago

School is your foundation for education. You need to learn above and beyond what they teach on the boards. If you go to a bad schol it will be a slow road to he top and it may be hard to learn some of the most basic information that you will need. If your going to pay a lot for schol make sure they teach above and beyond the minimum required to pas the boards. I went to a great school and started out in a high end spa. I don't usually hire from elsewhere without an additional 2 hrs education.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

LMTin nyc in Far Rockaway, New York

53 months ago

Hello Hair Stylists, Cosmetologists, nail technicians and estheticians. I am NOW HIRING for my mobile spa services.

For more info check us out at www.salsa2spa.com

We serve East Queens and the entire Tri-State area as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Em S in Oakland, California

52 months ago

ashley in Wesley Chapel, Florida said: Its not easy trust me. Most people hop from one place to another. Then when you find it the pay isn't that great either. One way I've been making some extra money to pay for bills is to do surveys and offers at [comment edited by forum moderator] They are one of the ones that isn't a scam. Its a little boring but you can actually make enough money to pay for a few of your bills without putting very much time in. I still love doing hair and thats what keeps me going.

What is the website?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

travel hair dresser in Bronx, New York

52 months ago

kila in Norfolk, Virginia said: im a hair stylist and first off you have to love being one in order to achieve. then you have to develop the confidence in order to build a cleintele. i love my job and i make enough to take care of myself, but i have the opportunity to advance even more everyday. you decide your paycheck as a hairstylist especially if you work for yourself and i suggest you do if you really want to expand financially but if you just want to live good and go home at the end of the day try a high end company once you have the skills which take some time

Hello Travel hair dresser is looking for license and experience hairstylist for our clients.You will be doing events such as weddings,baby showers,birthdays,elderly and children.Please note: Travel hairdresser only do consultations,you will set your own price for our clients and you are only going to give us 15% of what you will make.This job require you to have your own equipment and travel to our clients.This job is more rewarding than renting a chair or a salon.We have several upcoming events that we are trying to fulfill.contact travelhairdresser@yahoo.com.Thanks in advance Cristal

52 months ago

NYC girl in Brooklyn, New York said: Thanks for the advice. If I decide to go to school and come out with a license...do I begin cutting hair right away or do I have to put in time washing hair, sweeping floors?

Hello Travel hair dresser is looking for license and experience hairstylist for our clients.You will be doing events such as weddings,baby showers,birthdays,elderly and children.Please note: Travel hairdresser only do consultations,you will set your own price for our clients and you are only going to give us 15% of what you will make.This job require you to have your own equipment and travel to our clients.This job is more rewarding than renting a chair or a salon.We have several upcoming events that we are trying to fulfill.contact travelhairdresser@yahoo.com.Thanks in advance Cristal

52 months ago

second career in Baldwin, New York said: my reply continued:

For me, it was a little different. I was 27 when I finished school (a little older to get in the game, everyone in my class was around 21), and I was done living and working in the city and having completely insane hours. I felt if I was an assistant for 3 years, I'd be 30 by the time I got on the floor, the time I want to have kids. I moved out to the beach in LI and started assisting in an extremely highend place, but proved myself quickly b/c I was older/more experienced and got on the floor in 4 months. I stayed at that salon for a year but wasn't happy, so am now somewhere new. It's really annoying to switch salons b/c you lose your clients and have to start from scratch, which means no money and sitting for most of the day, but it's only been two months and I'm already getting referrals, and things are getting better everyday. It usually takes a year to start building a following, so don't hop around. Money is not great, and there's no benefits, but I love it. Hope this helps.

Angie in Elk Grove, California

52 months ago

50 + in Forest Hills, New York said: Hi jayme
Ok so Im taking that an older woman no matter how decent she keep herself together WILL get discriminated agains . What are professions for older women 50 + ????Goodness!

I had a hard time when I moved to another city from San Francisco and I am a high end hair stylist with many credentials yet being in a new city, I didn't have a clientele. They either want you to walk in with a full clientele or be a young person in my experience. Luckily one gal DID give me the opportunity to start (after I went a second time) and I rent my station and am building a high end clientele here now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

ryanmaya in Syosset, New York

52 months ago

You will make a lot of money if you are dedicated. I graduated beauty school in 2010 and assisted in 2 high end salons in Manhattan. I switched to booth rental and now I rent 2 chairs and work with an assistant. I made a net profit of $64,000 last year. I am to double that this year. Confidence, motivation and preserving is the key. Don't be afraid to do anythin. Hairstylist don't make mistakes we make discoveries! Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Amber S. in Oakland, California

52 months ago

I deciding to quit my full time job to do hair! But realize that I don't make as much money! I cut 8 heads yesterday and made $22 in tips! Will it get any better?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jess in Dallas, Texas

52 months ago

Jessie-whop in Houston, Texas said: not sure if you have any college course but substituting is great. if you dont want to go to work you dont have to answer the phone when the district calls. I worked at a bank for 3yrs. Bankers hours might be very beneficial for your school sched! hope this helped

Wow thats Amazing!!!! Yeah of course!

Holly I in New York, New York

49 months ago

Woah! Finish college!!!! I'm a fairly successful hairstylist in soho. I lovely job, but it's also the only thing I'm qualified for. Without a bachelors degree in anything, my options are very limited if for some reason I couldn't do this anymore. The recession was brutal ( lost 30% o my business)and it's harder then ever to build a clientele with all the groupon and social media deal sites chipping at the integrity of the business. When I started there was only two schools in NYC now there are 5. ARROJO is absolutely the best one by far having that on your resume is excellent. You will have to assist long hours for little pay for 2 to 5 years depending on where you end up. You will have ALOT to learn when you finish beauty school. Becoming a hairstylist is easy, staying one takes work and lots of it. It will not be easy. Vist us at Alibi in soho and I'll gladly show you the ropes. GOOD LUCK

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tracy W in Boca Raton, Florida

49 months ago

Hey everyone. I wanted to let you know about an amazing, new, anti-aging skin care product I discovered from Nerium International. Clinical trials and literally thousands of before and after photos prove that it really works...and I've experienced it first-hand. This product rocks! And it's a great cross-sell for salons.

There are so many things I like about the company and people behind Nerium - not only do they have a great product, they also have a great opportunity that might be a perfect for you or your friends.

Please watch this short video and let me know what you think.

Make it a great day!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

dutchess in Newport, North Carolina

48 months ago

Candace in Richmond, Virginia said: What is the name of the thing you do to make extra money? It wouldn't post it. email me back with the info at candy_boo_2000@yahoo.com Thank you

what is the name of the survey company you are using? email me: htknra@gmail.com

atom1 in Brooklyn, New York

46 months ago

A hairstylist can absolutely make much more than a decent living. I'm in beauty school now, and I have repeat clients and referrals every day of shcool which I've built up in the 7 months I've been in the student salon! Most students do maybe 1 client a week. I do 4 to 6 clients a week as a part time night student. I do cuts, color, relaxers, blow outs etc. And I make the most tips of anyone by far, and have even received $40 for a $28 bill. S

everal of these clients have already expressed interest in following me where ever I go when I graduate even though prices will be several times what the school charges.

Here's why I believe I will succeed:

Passion - I love what I'm doing

Education - I really know my stuff. Most of the other students dilly dally and never really learned the science behind the hair. I use this information to educate my clients

Skill - I've become really good by always making sure I have someone in my chair. I do everything and take risks now as opposed to being scared of making mistakes like most of the other students. My attitude is that if I make a mistake the instructors will help me fix it. I won't have that when I go out in the real world.

Value - I know what the value of a great cut and color can do for a client's image, self esteen ets. It's life-changing and I communicate to my clients.

Trust - I educate clients, and give them great advice on how to maintain beautiful and healthy hair. They in turn trust me, and become extremely loyal to me.
Relationships - I build a relationship with my clients. The types of clients I have are a reflection of who I am.

Attitude - I am always positive around clients and make the whole time we have together about them.

There's of course more reasons why I think clients return to me and refer their friends and family. But in the end, it comes down to how much you put in, how positve you are. Clients are people, and you have to become a magnetic personality to attract them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

atom1 in Brooklyn, New York

46 months ago

Just to add. I've seen technically good stylists, but they have poor communication skills, don't smile much, are self-absorbed etc. And even though their hair styling skills are great, they cannot build a repeat clientele. Personality is so important to succeed as a hair stylist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

delstephanie in Haverhill, Massachusetts

44 months ago

Wow I feel so sorry for you. If your trying to insinuate that speaking Spanish or having a funny accent makes a person less educated or competant just shows how ignorant and dumb you are... your in the wrong city if you feel that way funny accents are everywhere

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

delstephanie in Haverhill, Massachusetts

44 months ago

Wow I feel so sorry for you. If your trying to insinuate that speaking Spanish or having a funny accent makes a person less educated or competant just shows how ignorant and dumb you are... your in the wrong city if you feel that way funny accents are everywhere oh no a Spanish person working at a school how dare they

DeeBabie in Brooklyn, New York said: No I just think you're giving false information for saying that Carsten is the BEST beauty school in NYC when that's so not true. Obviously they're cheaper than the real Aveda...but when you graduate, it's the name "AVEDA" that stands out to employers....not Carsten. Yes we took MODELS in Alpha, but we even started taking Models in Intro already...so by Alpha 2, yes we take on clients. Beta we already know what we're doing but they teach us razor techniques and some more stuff and that's about it. Our schools also a lot busier than Carsten....I've had friends that went to Carsten and sometimes didn't even have a client...there was never a time in Aveda where I didn't have a client. At times I would do 4 or 5 a day. Yes it's more expensive, but it's the best at it's game, especially when you're in a tough ballgame like NYC. We even got to meet Horst Rechelbacher which is the Owner of Aveda...he came here. And at Carsten, the admissions guy speaks with a funny spanish accent, he looked money hungry. He wouldn't even listen to my questions because as soon as I asked him something, he nodded his head and proceeded to talk about the money process. The financial aid lady also was spanish, and didn't have the same professionalism the FAFSA office does at Aveda. She was texting on her cell phone the whole time I was there. Also, even the TEACHER was Spanish....Forgot her name already. It was like Miss Gloria or something. Basically, the school can never step up top notch to the professionalism and busy chaotic atmosphere Aveda gets...plus it's in Soho...also helps it's in one of the cutest areas of NYC

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

serenabean in Hagerstown, Maryland

41 months ago

maia in Sarasota, Florida said: Wow yall must be doing hair in North Dakota! lol here in Florida there is a lot of money to be made.

what parts do you think are best for hairstylist down there??Im moving there in June.B)

Dustin Overstreet in Covington, Kentucky

41 months ago

I been doin hair for three years now,It is very hard work gettin your name out there also trying to gather all the education you need to be the best, everything from in salon education to thousonds of dollars in training classes. just like a doctor,you have to stay current on education and be able to have the patients to learn somethin new week in and week out.you can make 14,000 a year or a million but a goal of 100k is very realistic :) but will make you extremely tired like a doctor . the bright side is that its your business so you can make 100k if you want or stay at 14k like most hairdressers. 14k is you bein lazy 100k is you bein on your (A) game networking,not bein shy and workin day in day out for at least 10 years . you will cry and you will smile at times . but any 100k job is not easy work but worth it! if you do decide to do hair (do not settle for a greatclips or jc pennys after your first year) it will only degrade you and make you not seem any good at what you do even if you are and not ever get you too even close to 40k a year. you may want to still get your college degree :) because you will get better jobs that you want! But the sky is the limit!!! never pass up an oppurtunity to meet new people or take a better job or move place to place to get the education you need to have and live your dreams and remember failure is not an opption. p.s. nyc.florida,L.A.,atlanta,huston texas and chicago are good places to be . :) good luck!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Hope Renewed in Aspen, Colorado

31 months ago

You have a great attitude and lots of passion. Without those things, no one is successful. I know you will succeed.

Jen in Fort Myers, Florida

31 months ago

maia in Sarasota, Florida said: Wow yall must be doing hair in North Dakota! lol here in Florida there is a lot of money to be made.

Well you must be in a better area of Florida then because the area I am in is fort myers and I'm not really making a whole lot of money I find people are really cheap on the tips here I average like 3.00 a person than it maybe the salon I work at I thought the area was good but there are a lot of old retired people who come in and live in the area. I'm actually not to far from Sarasota I live in Alva.

Jen in Fort Myers, Florida

31 months ago

ashley in Wesley Chapel, Florida said: Its not easy trust me. Most people hop from one place to another. Then when you find it the pay isn't that great either. One way I've been making some extra money to pay for bills is to do surveys and offers at [comment edited by forum moderator] They are one of the ones that isn't a scam. Its a little boring but you can actually make enough money to pay for a few of your bills without putting very much time in. I still love doing hair and thats what keeps me going.

What's the name of the survey site you do I had thought about that but a lot of them are sketchy and a scam if you could let me know that would be great. My email is breth_of_fire@yahoo.com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Hair by Wedlyne in Brooklyn, New York

28 months ago

Hi Coiffeuse, I love your game plan! If you don't mind, I would like to know where can I purchase wella color wholesale. You can email me via Hairbywedlyne@gmail.com

charlenerae in Deltona, Florida

27 months ago

Daniella G in Brooklyn, New York said: haha. I'm also from Brooklyn, NY... in the SAME problem as this chick...Yeah I'm half way through Collge too...thinkin about droppin it to go be a hair stylist...THE BEST school in NY btw, is Paul Mitchell Academy which is in Staten Island, and of course I have questions to as far as the income goes and how i'll be without training wheels once I graduate....but I've been talented with hair & make-up since the age of 13....I always had a passion for it anyway.... I just hope I can make a living out of it....not expecting anything crazy....I'd be happy with enough to live decently....but you guys think it's tough to find a job right after you come out of cosmetology school in NYC ????

Hi I have been thionking about doing hair but Iam fifty seven and I dont know if they would take someone like me at my age at thistime. thank you charlene

27 months ago

hi Iam just letting people know how nice it is to find a dream you love to do in your own time in life. charlene

27 months ago

my e mail is charlenehartiel@gmail.com

jjsiegal in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

25 months ago

Dustin Overstreet in Covington, Kentucky said: I been doin hair for three years now,It is very hard work gettin your name out there also trying to gather all the education you need to be the best, everything from in salon education to thousonds of dollars in training classes. just like a doctor,you have to stay current on education and be able to have the patients to learn somethin new week in and week out.you can make 14,000 a year or a million but a goal of 100k is very realistic :) but will make you extremely tired like a doctor . the bright side is that its your business so you can make 100k if you want or stay at 14k like most hairdressers. 14k is you bein lazy 100k is you bein on your (A) game networking,not bein shy and workin day in day out for at least 10 years . you will cry and you will smile at times . but any 100k job is not easy work but worth it! if you do decide to do hair (do not settle for a greatclips or jc pennys after your first year) it will only degrade you and make you not seem any good at what you do even if you are and not ever get you too even close to 40k a year. you may want to still get your college degree :) because you will get better jobs that you want! But the sky is the limit!!! never pass up an oppurtunity to meet new people or take a better job or move place to place to get the education you need to have and live your dreams and remember failure is not an opption. p.s. nyc.florida,L.A.,atlanta,huston texas and chicago are good places to be . :) good luck!!!!

Did you say "1 mill a year?"....LOL. Girl/Bro,...stop sniffing the 40vol. You ain't never gonna make 1 mill a year bending hair. Trust me. You don't know or have never heard of ANYONE making 1 mil a year as a hair-dresser. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE stop doing drugs and hangin with dopers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Andrea in Fairfield, Ohio

23 months ago

hello I am a stylist in Cincinnati Ohio. I have worked in a salon and oouldnt stand it. The owner had me as an assistant and I was able to do my clients for %50 commission it was not cool. so now I am trying to start my own traveling stylist business for the elderly and disabled. people are telling me I need permits and doctor notes from their doctors and I don't understand why well I would but I just basically want to do their hair. how can I start?

Loliz in Cleveland, Ohio

21 months ago

jjsiegal in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: Did you say "1 mill a year?"....LOL. Girl/Bro,...stop sniffing the 40vol. You ain't never gonna make 1 mill a year bending hair. Trust me. You don't know or have never heard of ANYONE making 1 mil a year as a hair-dresser. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE stop doing drugs and hangin with dopers.

I promise that you are the type of person with whom highly successful people do NOT associate. I hope those around you in your workplace are able to ignore your negativity. If you are a stylist, between your attitude and manner of speaking, it is no wonder you have trouble seeing high earning potential in the profession. Please don't insult people or discourage their ambitions, just because you have failed to have any of your own.

Mikhan in Falls Church, Virginia

18 months ago

Hi="Jessie in Woodbridge, Virginia"] how are ur experience so far in hair industry from where u read.. Share ur experience

Josh in Boca Raton, Florida

16 months ago

janethomas in Lake Havasu City, Arizona said: stay in college - do not become a hairdresser. There is no retirement, job status or money in hairstyling. You stand all day with your arms up in the air entertaining people. You are too tired at night to function socially.

Finish your college degree so you can socialize with your peers in a respectiful manner which requires you to be respected as a professional.. That AINT GONNA happen in a salon.

Your clearly an idiot I'm 26 been doing hair since 17-18 I'm making around $130,000k a year my mother pulls in $160,000 we live in Boca. It's the easiest job ever and I make enough to want everything I need. Sorry you didn't make it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

faleroj18 in New York, New York

13 months ago

nope u cant, u not gonna get clients on ur chair everyday cause they basically on the budget cause the economy is bad and they have to look out for themselves. No matter how much percentage u get on ur commission if u having a slow week and u have less clients to no clients u basically gonna have a crappy paycheck. Are you willing to be a hairdresser knowing that u going to be on ur feet long hrs,skip lunch break & not knowing how much will ur salary will be each week, Remember ur salary is ur commission so it really depends on the clients & services u perform. wish of luck

CATBEAUTY in Linden, New Jersey

3 months ago

AnthonyStyle in Stamford, Connecticut said: There are a million opportunities in the cosmetology field! I am a stylist in an upbeat salon in southern westchester in NY. I have been there 5 years and I make over 50k and that is not including tips! I must agree with some of the people, if you do not love it, it shows. You really have to feel what you are doing and you can create anything. I wouldn't change my job for anything. Did I mention that I only work 4 days a week? Did I mention that I only work 5 hours a day? so 50k for 20 hours a week? I am not complaining!

WHAT??? Oh my god that is amazing... I've been thinking about leaving working in a salon because i work 40 hours a week 6 or 7 days a week and i feel like a slave. do you work weekends?

CATBEAUTY in Linden, New Jersey

3 months ago

Amber S. in Oakland, California said: I deciding to quit my full time job to do hair! But realize that I don't make as much money! I cut 8 heads yesterday and made $22 in tips! Will it get any better?

I hope it did! maybe it is the area you are in? Im a junior stylist and assist when i dont have a client in my chair. I make $60 to $100 in tips on a saturday

Peglet in Wauconda, Illinois

8 days ago

This is a very interesting thread.,,..

All very different opinions of the salon industry. I'm 26 years in the business.
Started when I was 20. The salon industry has changed in my opinion. It used to be a more respected industry. Now clients treat us as a beauty robot. They are no longer loyal, they will jump in someone else's chair for their convenience. Other stylists see one another as a threat. I would leave my current salon but am not in a position to lose any clients, so I find myself stuck. That is not a good position to be in. I've worked private salons, rented my own studio, educated for a manufacturer done traveling for weddings. You name it I've done it, and now returned to a corporate salon for benefits. With that said... The top stylists,I mean top for the whole company out of 900 salons probably make in the 60-70thousand a year not including tips.
Those are the the stylists that have been at the same salon 30+ years.
Not bopping around. And they have exceptional pleasant personalities. I have a decent clientele I do ok but I'm finding I'm suffering from burnout and compassion fatigue. Also maybe just time to help aspiring cosmetology students.
For those making making 100k + a year, please share your secrets!!! Some newbies would love to know!! If your a college student, please continue. Don't stop going. I have some college credits and regret stopping. I'm thinking of going back.
You can always get your cosmetology license and do hair part time. Or better yet go to college and let hair be your part time job while your in school.
I think becoming a cosmetologist is
a good career if your ready to compete and work hard and learn and make some color errors. But that's how we learn....
There's a large turnover rate as well.
Good luck aspiring beauty professionals!
I hope this helps!!

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.