Can I make a decent living being a hairstylist?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 116 of 116)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3   

atom1 in Brooklyn, New York

26 months ago

A hairstylist can absolutely make much more than a decent living. I'm in beauty school now, and I have repeat clients and referrals every day of shcool which I've built up in the 7 months I've been in the student salon! Most students do maybe 1 client a week. I do 4 to 6 clients a week as a part time night student. I do cuts, color, relaxers, blow outs etc. And I make the most tips of anyone by far, and have even received $40 for a $28 bill. S

everal of these clients have already expressed interest in following me where ever I go when I graduate even though prices will be several times what the school charges.

Here's why I believe I will succeed:

Passion - I love what I'm doing

Education - I really know my stuff. Most of the other students dilly dally and never really learned the science behind the hair. I use this information to educate my clients

Skill - I've become really good by always making sure I have someone in my chair. I do everything and take risks now as opposed to being scared of making mistakes like most of the other students. My attitude is that if I make a mistake the instructors will help me fix it. I won't have that when I go out in the real world.

Value - I know what the value of a great cut and color can do for a client's image, self esteen ets. It's life-changing and I communicate to my clients.

Trust - I educate clients, and give them great advice on how to maintain beautiful and healthy hair. They in turn trust me, and become extremely loyal to me.
Relationships - I build a relationship with my clients. The types of clients I have are a reflection of who I am.

Attitude - I am always positive around clients and make the whole time we have together about them.

There's of course more reasons why I think clients return to me and refer their friends and family. But in the end, it comes down to how much you put in, how positve you are. Clients are people, and you have to become a magnetic personality to attract them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

atom1 in Brooklyn, New York

26 months ago

Just to add. I've seen technically good stylists, but they have poor communication skills, don't smile much, are self-absorbed etc. And even though their hair styling skills are great, they cannot build a repeat clientele. Personality is so important to succeed as a hair stylist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

delstephanie in Haverhill, Massachusetts

24 months ago

Wow I feel so sorry for you. If your trying to insinuate that speaking Spanish or having a funny accent makes a person less educated or competant just shows how ignorant and dumb you are... your in the wrong city if you feel that way funny accents are everywhere

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

delstephanie in Haverhill, Massachusetts

24 months ago

Wow I feel so sorry for you. If your trying to insinuate that speaking Spanish or having a funny accent makes a person less educated or competant just shows how ignorant and dumb you are... your in the wrong city if you feel that way funny accents are everywhere oh no a Spanish person working at a school how dare they

DeeBabie in Brooklyn, New York said: No I just think you're giving false information for saying that Carsten is the BEST beauty school in NYC when that's so not true. Obviously they're cheaper than the real Aveda...but when you graduate, it's the name "AVEDA" that stands out to employers....not Carsten. Yes we took MODELS in Alpha, but we even started taking Models in Intro already...so by Alpha 2, yes we take on clients. Beta we already know what we're doing but they teach us razor techniques and some more stuff and that's about it. Our schools also a lot busier than Carsten....I've had friends that went to Carsten and sometimes didn't even have a client...there was never a time in Aveda where I didn't have a client. At times I would do 4 or 5 a day. Yes it's more expensive, but it's the best at it's game, especially when you're in a tough ballgame like NYC. We even got to meet Horst Rechelbacher which is the Owner of Aveda...he came here. And at Carsten, the admissions guy speaks with a funny spanish accent, he looked money hungry. He wouldn't even listen to my questions because as soon as I asked him something, he nodded his head and proceeded to talk about the money process. The financial aid lady also was spanish, and didn't have the same professionalism the FAFSA office does at Aveda. She was texting on her cell phone the whole time I was there. Also, even the TEACHER was Spanish....Forgot her name already. It was like Miss Gloria or something. Basically, the school can never step up top notch to the professionalism and busy chaotic atmosphere Aveda gets...plus it's in Soho...also helps it's in one of the cutest areas of NYC

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

serenabean in Hagerstown, Maryland

22 months ago

maia in Sarasota, Florida said: Wow yall must be doing hair in North Dakota! lol here in Florida there is a lot of money to be made.

what parts do you think are best for hairstylist down there??Im moving there in June.B)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Dustin Overstreet in Covington, Kentucky

21 months ago

I been doin hair for three years now,It is very hard work gettin your name out there also trying to gather all the education you need to be the best, everything from in salon education to thousonds of dollars in training classes. just like a doctor,you have to stay current on education and be able to have the patients to learn somethin new week in and week out.you can make 14,000 a year or a million but a goal of 100k is very realistic :) but will make you extremely tired like a doctor . the bright side is that its your business so you can make 100k if you want or stay at 14k like most hairdressers. 14k is you bein lazy 100k is you bein on your (A) game networking,not bein shy and workin day in day out for at least 10 years . you will cry and you will smile at times . but any 100k job is not easy work but worth it! if you do decide to do hair (do not settle for a greatclips or jc pennys after your first year) it will only degrade you and make you not seem any good at what you do even if you are and not ever get you too even close to 40k a year. you may want to still get your college degree :) because you will get better jobs that you want! But the sky is the limit!!! never pass up an oppurtunity to meet new people or take a better job or move place to place to get the education you need to have and live your dreams and remember failure is not an opption. p.s. nyc.florida,L.A.,atlanta,huston texas and chicago are good places to be . :) good luck!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Hope Renewed in Aspen, Colorado

12 months ago

You have a great attitude and lots of passion. Without those things, no one is successful. I know you will succeed.

Jen in Fort Myers, Florida

11 months ago

maia in Sarasota, Florida said: Wow yall must be doing hair in North Dakota! lol here in Florida there is a lot of money to be made.

Well you must be in a better area of Florida then because the area I am in is fort myers and I'm not really making a whole lot of money I find people are really cheap on the tips here I average like 3.00 a person than it maybe the salon I work at I thought the area was good but there are a lot of old retired people who come in and live in the area. I'm actually not to far from Sarasota I live in Alva.

Jen in Fort Myers, Florida

11 months ago

ashley in Wesley Chapel, Florida said: Its not easy trust me. Most people hop from one place to another. Then when you find it the pay isn't that great either. One way I've been making some extra money to pay for bills is to do surveys and offers at [comment edited by forum moderator] They are one of the ones that isn't a scam. Its a little boring but you can actually make enough money to pay for a few of your bills without putting very much time in. I still love doing hair and thats what keeps me going.

What's the name of the survey site you do I had thought about that but a lot of them are sketchy and a scam if you could let me know that would be great. My email is breth_of_fire@yahoo.com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Hair by Wedlyne in Brooklyn, New York

8 months ago

Hi Coiffeuse, I love your game plan! If you don't mind, I would like to know where can I purchase wella color wholesale. You can email me via Hairbywedlyne@gmail.com

charlenerae in Deltona, Florida

7 months ago

Daniella G in Brooklyn, New York said: haha. I'm also from Brooklyn, NY... in the SAME problem as this chick...Yeah I'm half way through Collge too...thinkin about droppin it to go be a hair stylist...THE BEST school in NY btw, is Paul Mitchell Academy which is in Staten Island, and of course I have questions to as far as the income goes and how i'll be without training wheels once I graduate....but I've been talented with hair & make-up since the age of 13....I always had a passion for it anyway.... I just hope I can make a living out of it....not expecting anything crazy....I'd be happy with enough to live decently....but you guys think it's tough to find a job right after you come out of cosmetology school in NYC ????

Hi I have been thionking about doing hair but Iam fifty seven and I dont know if they would take someone like me at my age at thistime. thank you charlene

7 months ago

hi Iam just letting people know how nice it is to find a dream you love to do in your own time in life. charlene

7 months ago

my e mail is charlenehartiel@gmail.com

jjsiegal in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

6 months ago

Dustin Overstreet in Covington, Kentucky said: I been doin hair for three years now,It is very hard work gettin your name out there also trying to gather all the education you need to be the best, everything from in salon education to thousonds of dollars in training classes. just like a doctor,you have to stay current on education and be able to have the patients to learn somethin new week in and week out.you can make 14,000 a year or a million but a goal of 100k is very realistic :) but will make you extremely tired like a doctor . the bright side is that its your business so you can make 100k if you want or stay at 14k like most hairdressers. 14k is you bein lazy 100k is you bein on your (A) game networking,not bein shy and workin day in day out for at least 10 years . you will cry and you will smile at times . but any 100k job is not easy work but worth it! if you do decide to do hair (do not settle for a greatclips or jc pennys after your first year) it will only degrade you and make you not seem any good at what you do even if you are and not ever get you too even close to 40k a year. you may want to still get your college degree :) because you will get better jobs that you want! But the sky is the limit!!! never pass up an oppurtunity to meet new people or take a better job or move place to place to get the education you need to have and live your dreams and remember failure is not an opption. p.s. nyc.florida,L.A.,atlanta,huston texas and chicago are good places to be . :) good luck!!!!

Did you say "1 mill a year?"....LOL. Girl/Bro,...stop sniffing the 40vol. You ain't never gonna make 1 mill a year bending hair. Trust me. You don't know or have never heard of ANYONE making 1 mil a year as a hair-dresser. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE stop doing drugs and hangin with dopers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Andrea in Fairfield, Ohio

4 months ago

hello I am a stylist in Cincinnati Ohio. I have worked in a salon and oouldnt stand it. The owner had me as an assistant and I was able to do my clients for %50 commission it was not cool. so now I am trying to start my own traveling stylist business for the elderly and disabled. people are telling me I need permits and doctor notes from their doctors and I don't understand why well I would but I just basically want to do their hair. how can I start?

Loliz in Cleveland, Ohio

1 month ago

jjsiegal in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: Did you say "1 mill a year?"....LOL. Girl/Bro,...stop sniffing the 40vol. You ain't never gonna make 1 mill a year bending hair. Trust me. You don't know or have never heard of ANYONE making 1 mil a year as a hair-dresser. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE stop doing drugs and hangin with dopers.

I promise that you are the type of person with whom highly successful people do NOT associate. I hope those around you in your workplace are able to ignore your negativity. If you are a stylist, between your attitude and manner of speaking, it is no wonder you have trouble seeing high earning potential in the profession. Please don't insult people or discourage their ambitions, just because you have failed to have any of your own.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.