Can you work as a hairstylist with a barber license?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

mbaby1212 in Honolulu, Hawaii

66 months ago

Also can ou rent a booth in a salon after graduating from beauty schol?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

hairgirl in Seattle, Washington

64 months ago

If you do not have a cosmetology lisense than you are not a lisensed hairstylist!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

pinkfusion in California

63 months ago

mbaby1212 in Honolulu, Hawaii said: Also can ou rent a booth in a salon after graduating from beauty schol?

You can work anywhere with a barber license. You can work in a regular salon, but you will cut hair differently from the cosmetologists. Your best bet if you do not want to work in a barber shop is to work at Supercuts.

You can rent a booth after you take and pass your state board and receive your license. No responsible salon owner would allow you to work on clients in their shop without a license

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

dejan dimkovski in Chicago, Illinois

58 months ago

i need help.i wanna transfer my illinois barber license in florida or in nevada.can somebody pls give me some tips if thats possible for me to do and not go thru all school thing again.thank so much

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Taitip in Dallas, Texas

30 months ago

Yes, you can work in any salon as a barber. The only difference is shaving and techniques used/learned in barbering school, which the history of barbering is really awesome! You don't learn how to do mani-pedi's like cosmetology students do.

I am a licensed barber, and I have worked in 3 major luxury salons within New Mexico and Texas, and I will be relocating to NYC soon. Never had problems working anywhere. If you are good at what you do, you are good at what you do. Get proper training outside barber/cosmetology school, vidal sassoon, bumble, or in-salon training...build resume, and you won't have to work in barbershops or great clips. That is nonsense. And to the first response...honey I am a Hairstylist, and worked very hard to get where I am at...with a barber license!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

dee1220 in New York, New York

14 months ago

Taitip in Dallas, Texas said: Yes, you can work in any salon as a barber. The only difference is shaving and techniques used/learned in barbering school, which the history of barbering is really awesome! You don't learn how to do mani-pedi's like cosmetology students do.

I am a licensed barber, and I have worked in 3 major luxury salons within New Mexico and Texas, and I will be relocating to NYC soon. Never had problems working anywhere. If you are good at what you do, you are good at what you do. Get proper training outside barber/cosmetology school, vidal sassoon, bumble, or in-salon training...build resume, and you won't have to work in barbershops or great clips. That is nonsense. And to the first response...honey I am a Hairstylist, and worked very hard to get where I am at...with a barber license![/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

zaurastar in Henderson, Nevada

14 months ago

Taitip in Dallas, Texas said: Yes, you can work in any salon as a barber. The only difference is shaving and techniques used/learned in barbering school, which the history of barbering is really awesome! You don't learn how to do mani-pedi's like cosmetology students do.

I am a licensed barber, and I have worked in 3 major luxury salons within New Mexico and Texas, and I will be relocating to NYC soon. Never had problems working anywhere. If you are good at what you do, you are good at what you do. Get proper training outside barber/cosmetology school, vidal sassoon, bumble, or in-salon training...build resume, and you won't have to work in barbershops or great clips. That is nonsense. And to the first response...honey I am a Hairstylist, and worked very hard to get where I am at...with a barber license!

I have a master barber license!
And relocated From Ga, to Ny, to NV

In NYC if you only have a Barber license, you can only work in male barber shops!
Barbers in NY can not work in a unisex salon..
Which is what i found!
As a barber in NY only does like 450 hrs to get licenced!
In Nevada, you can also work only in mens Barber shops..unless it is separated by a wall!
In Ga i worked anywhere!
In NY i didn't work,i didn't want to work in a crappy barber salon, doing $12 cuts!
Vegas..it's insane!
And expensive! Lots of crazy paperwork!
I asked supercuts if i could work there!
No! It's not separated by a wall!
Most idiots think with a barber license you are only able to do fades, and shaves!
I am an amazing cutter!
Being unable to work is insane!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

zaurastar in Henderson, Nevada

14 months ago

zaurastar in Henderson, Nevada said: I have a master barber license!
And relocated From Ga, to Ny, to NV

In NYC if you only have a Barber license, you can only work in male barber shops!
Barbers in NY can not work in a unisex salon..
Which is what i found!
As a barber in NY only does like 450 hrs to get licenced!
In Nevada, you can also work only in mens Barber shops..unless it is separated by a wall!
In Ga i worked anywhere!
In NY i didn't work,i didn't want to work in a crappy barber salon, doing $12 cuts!
Vegas..it's insane!
And expensive! Lots of crazy paperwork!
I asked supercuts if i could work there!
No! It's not separated by a wall!
Most idiots think with a barber license you are only able to do fades, and shaves!
I am an amazing cutter!
Being unable to work is insane!

I might add i applied for my license in California!
I can work anywhere! I just have to collect it!
$50 reciprocity!
I have yet to move as it's so expensive!
New Jersey barbers can work Any salon!
Florida,Georgia, and CA. Also!
If you laws have changed let me know!
Zaurastar@gmail.com..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.