HELP! Does anyone have any information about the National Cosmetology Written exam??

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (16)

mac_c_taz in San Leandro, California

67 months ago

I am going to be taking my cosmetology written/practical exam in a few weeks. I live in California and as of May 1, they have switched to the National Cosmetology written exam. I felt fairly confident on the types of questions from the old CA exam but now I have no idea what to expect. Has anyone from CA taken it yet? How different was it? Are there practice exams or anything to reference? Any information, especially those from other states that already have this test in place, would be a tremendous help!! Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Melanie in Irvine, California

66 months ago

*bump*

I am concerned about this also. The old written exam was a piece of cake. Now that I have to take it again.... need to know! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Melanie in Irvine, California

66 months ago

thank yoooouuu!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Andreea in Palm Springs, California

66 months ago

mac_c_taz in San Leandro, California said: hi there, i just took the test a few days ago and no worries it's pretty much the same. there were a lot of questions from the test you can purchase at www.stateboardhelp.com good luck!

Hi How was tht practical test?
I have my exam in 2 weeks. Can anyone help,
which book have you prepared on? Milady or Pivot Point? Which is better?
I heard the practical is hard?
Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

The practical is pretty intense but the key is to make yourself invisible. the examiner has to watch up to 8 people at a time performing different operations, so the less conspicuous you make yourself the more likely she won't pay as close attention to you. Timing is critical but don't get upset if you don't finish, i didn't finish my wet set or thermal but still passed. you get points for setting up correctly etc.. Also, remember which services have the most points and spend more time on those. I had the wet set and then a tint but not enough time to finish both. the wet set is only worth 16 points but the tint is 30 , so i did 3 rows of finger waves, 4 rollers and 6 pin curls so that i would at least get points for some of the operation and then moved on and completed the tint. Your model can make or break you. The ideal person to bring is someone that has shoulder length hair and not a ton of it either. Your model should have clear skin, natural nails on hands and feet, no abrasions on scalp or feet. Another thing to keep in mind is that there are cameras in the room, so even if you think the examiner is not watching, someone is so don't have your model help you in any way. my advice is find a good model and keep practicing your timing in the time you have before your test and you'll be fine. good luck!

pinkfusion in California

66 months ago

Andreea in Palm Springs, California said: Hi How was tht practical test?
I have my exam in 2 weeks. Can anyone help,
which book have you prepared on? Milady or Pivot Point? Which is better?
I heard the practical is hard?
Thank you.

Listen to exactly what they tell you. Its key. Make sure your model does not speak to you and pay CAREFUL ATTENTION TO SANITATION! If you drop something, don't worry. Just make sure you practice correct sanitary procedure.

I took my practical many years ago and it really isnt that hard. Just relax and do the best you can. If you passed your mock board in school you should do just fine!

66 months ago

another thing, make sure to ask your kit company for extra paper and regular towels and trash bags. i saw girls grabbing paper towels from the restrooms during the break, you don't need that added stress. I also have small hands, so when i was examining my kit, i replaced all of the gloves with small ones. remember there are many different ways to pass the practical, each school etc... has their own methods. stick to what you know, as long as you are meeting the guidelines that state board requires. i went to the class the kit company provides you re. the exam and i ended up leaving early because they were insisting their way of doing things was the only way to pass but i learned things differently and my teacher warned me this would happen. take the class but don't let it confuse you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

I think this forum is great you can learn so many things here, that is so nice to share. Thank you all!

66 months ago

Hi I am interested in the guide and DVD.
You can contatct me at andreeaone@gmail.com
Please answer to me ASAP/.
Thanks

noahb in Phoenix, Arizona

66 months ago

hey guys, im planning to get my california license soon but i am just gettin my arizona one and i hear the california practical is wayyyy different. can anyone list all the different procedures performed during the practical exam so i know what to prepare for!? pleasee?!
thank you, noah

cosmoteach in Palmdale, California

64 months ago

I am a cosmetology instructor and if you apply what you were taught going all the way back to the freshman room you should have no problems. Don't by those testing prep books like SCORE and such they just become a crutch and you really do not learn to remember what you need to.
As for the written test it is based on what you are really tested on at state board. Do you really know what they are testing you on in each procedure?
Hairstyling - use of combs and clips and basic construction
Chemical Relaxing Perming- Use of chemicals and scalp protection.
Haircolor- Used of chemicals and proper application.
Facials - sanitation and proper massage techniques Also use of electricity without actually applying it to the skin.
Mani Pedi - use of cutting tools and sanitation with application of cosmetics
Haircutting - safety with tools
I assure you that they are not testing you on how good you are as a stylist only safety and client protection really. Do not try to show how fab you are as a stylist DON"T ADD keep to basic services because if you add stuff they will grade you on it. Look at it this way just because you can drive like a racecar driver will that help you pass your driving exam? Our exam is really about making sure you are safe to unleash on the public.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

Erika in San Diego, California

28 months ago

hello i took my test in 2011 and i went to the cosmo website and it says that the parctical exam changed and that you dont need a reall model anymore that everything will be on a doll and a plastic hand is this true?? has anyone done their test after march to see if this is true i am taking the test in glandel california

Bobby in Richmond Hill, Ontario

25 months ago

I took my exam in 2012, and got some practice through this site.
www.hairstylistexam.com/

it has sample exams for the cosmetology exam

Cindy in Wilmington, Delaware

17 months ago

Hi, i am planning to get hairstylist licencing in Toronto, which book did you use to study for the exam? it is Milady standard textbook? what is the website that i can find info regards to how to get licensing such as where to sign up for the exam, where to take the exam etc. After you pass the written exam do you need to take the practice exam (cutting someone's hair)? please advice. thank you so much for your time.

Bobby in Richmond Hill, Ontario said: I took my exam in 2012, and got some practice through this site.
www.hairstylistexam.com/

it has sample exams for the cosmetology exam

tricey8485

15 months ago

cosmoteach in Palmdale, California said: I am a cosmetology instructor and if you apply what you were taught going all the way back to the freshman room you should have no problems. Don't by those testing prep books like SCORE and such they just become a crutch and you really do not learn to remember what you need to.
As for the written test it is based on what you are really tested on at state board. Do you really know what they are testing you on in each procedure?
Hairstyling - use of combs and clips and basic construction
Chemical Relaxing Perming- Use of chemicals and scalp protection.
Haircolor- Used of chemicals and proper application.
Facials - sanitation and proper massage techniques Also use of electricity without actually applying it to the skin.
Mani Pedi - use of cutting tools and sanitation with application of cosmetics
Haircutting - safety with tools
I assure you that they are not testing you on how good you are as a stylist only safety and client protection really. Do not try to show how fab you are as a stylist DON"T ADD keep to basic services because if you add stuff they will grade you on it. Look at it this way just because you can drive like a racecar driver will that help you pass your driving exam? Our exam is really about making sure you are safe to unleash on the public.

Hello, i graduated school in 2006 and faield the written twice. I have no clue on how to study for the test againa and what I need to study on to pass that test. I am really discouraged about taking it a third time. SO on your comment, the things you stated? Are those the things I need to be studying?

Beauty guru

14 months ago

Has anyone taken the exam for Washington DC? If so please share your experience. Thanks in advance!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.