Hairdresser apprenticeship question.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (18)

TotallySevere in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

81 months ago

I'm thinking about applying as an apprentice to do hair styling. Does anyone know, just on average, about how much an apprenticeship pays? I'm not looking for an exact amount or anything.. but if anyone on here is an apprentice or started as one? About how much you made just starting? I'm really curious because if I do this I either need to quit my current job or cut my hours down alot.. so I'm trying to figure out if I can afford it! haha. Any information would be great! Thank you! (I live in WI if that is helpful at all).

-Stephanie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (61) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Where Can I Find an Apprenticeship in Granada Hills, California

81 months ago

Hi Stephanie:
I am in the same boat you are I am looking to change careers and want to get into hair, and wondering if becoming and apprentice is best for me. My question is how do I find an apprenticeship?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Stephanie in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

81 months ago

I actually just had an interview for an apprenticeship today. It is going to pay 6.75 per hour starting (with raises as I learn) and I will be attending the technical college here on mondays for theory courses while working/training in the salon full-time.

I just asked around and called around to different salons. I just asked if they had an apprenticeship program, and if they did I applied for it. So I would recommend that. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Where Can I Find an Apprenticeship in Granada Hills, California

81 months ago

Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

jovonda in Brierfield, Alabama

76 months ago

TotallySevere in Milwaukee, Wisconsin said: I'm thinking about applying as an apprentice to do hair styling. Does anyone know, just on average, about how much an apprenticeship pays? I'm not looking for an exact amount or anything.. but if anyone on here is an apprentice or started as one? About how much you made just starting? I'm really curious because if I do this I either need to quit my current job or cut my hours down alot.. so I'm trying to figure out if I can afford it! haha. Any information would be great! Thank you! (I live in WI if that is helpful at all).

-Stephanie

40/60 percent commission or booth rental its on you for real thats how we do in alabama.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

alex campbell in Atlanta, Georgia

69 months ago

TotallySevere in Milwaukee, Wisconsin said: I'm thinking about applying as an apprentice to do hair styling. Does anyone know, just on average, about how much an apprenticeship pays? I'm not looking for an exact amount or anything.. but if anyone on here is an apprentice or started as one? About how much you made just starting? I'm really curious because if I do this I either need to quit my current job or cut my hours down alot.. so I'm trying to figure out if I can afford it! haha. Any information would be great! Thank you! (I live in WI if that is helpful at all).

-Stephanie

My name is Alex Campbell and I was an apprentice. Check out this article on apprenticeship www.barbertips.com/barberschoolorapprenticeship.aspx

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Baltimore Stylist in Towson, Maryland

60 months ago

Well an apprenticeship works in one major way, but the pay works in several. Now, I wouldn't recomment commission based at 40/60 because you aren't able to jump in and do styling that involves chemicals (which is a large sum of income). Now, here in Maryland we need 1500 hours and the apprenticeship is 2 years. Also, once you have been working along side of your Master\Senior stylist, then you have become accustomed and comforable with doing a few services and can branch out on your own. You must have a license as an apprentice so you can start to build your own miniature clientele remembering that your sponsor must be with you and able to show you the ropes through the process.

As for the initial question, DO NOT QUITE YOUR JOB. I am 23 almost 24 and have been doing hair for 8 years. I work in a shop and had my own small clientele (mostly friends and family) out of my home. When you enter a shop IT IS TOTALLY DIFFERENT. Things are much more professional and most importantly IT TAKES TIME. I would say to cut back on your hours... just a bit. Not much, because you still have to live. Unless you are in a shop in an downtown area with a sponsor that will take on his\her clients and help you with yours.. take your time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kaiser. in Pyrmont, Australia

58 months ago

Hey,
I would like to know what are the main jobs that an apprentice undertakes??

like swiping floors, etc.
I know they don't get to cut hair.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

:) in Odenville, Alabama

50 months ago

Kaiser. in Pyrmont, Australia said: Hey,
I would like to know what are the main jobs that an apprentice undertakes??

like swiping floors, etc.
I know they don't get to cut hair.

yahh they do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

JessS in Burlington, Wisconsin

48 months ago

I am looking for a salon in the kenosha, wi area that is looking to hire an apprentice. How do i go about finding one?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

keyia evins in New Orleans, Louisiana

46 months ago

Is it possible to shorten the apprenticeship process by proveing over the coarse of say 6 months;my professional prominent capabailities,being than ive been doing hair and manicures well over 10years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tuzi in Hacienda Heights, California

31 months ago

I am looking for a hairstylist apprenticeship in Hacienda Heights or Rowland Heights California. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to find a salon where I can apprentice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Lee 101 in Madison, Wisconsin

30 months ago

Hey does anyone one know where in NYC you can apprentice at? I just moved here & not to familiar where to go!! It would be in the manhattan area!! Just curios on where I could at a salon! By chance can u apprentice if u have 5 months of beauty school but want to finish the rest apprenticing in a salon? Thx for any advice!!
God bless

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

sarah in Birmingham, Alabama

30 months ago

I am interviewing for an apprenticeship position next week. I work full time at a restaurant right now. I know I can speak with my possible employer about this, but how much would I have to cut back and would I have to take classes as well? I am trying to gather as much information as possible before going in to meet with her. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Holly in Lexington Park, Maryland

24 months ago

Stephanie in Milwaukee, Wisconsin said: I actually just had an interview for an apprenticeship today. It is going to pay 6.75 per hour starting (with raises as I learn) and I will be attending the technical college here on mondays for theory courses while working/training in the salon full-time.

I just asked around and called around to different salons. I just asked if they had an apprenticeship program, and if they did I applied for it. So I would recommend that. Good luck!

I'm sorry, but you're getting ripped off. Apprentices should get at least minimum wage or higher. Usually between 8-12 dollars an hour. Also, You should not have to go to a technical school. Apprenticeships are offered as an alternative to hair school in some states. After the allotted time in your apprenticeship program as stated by the state (and you have to be a registered apprentice under a senior stylist in your state)

DO NOT HAVE A BOOTH RENTAL or BE PAID COMMISSION! This is a huge rip off. I worked in a salon that did this. You cannot work at the capacity as other licensed stylist because you have to be supervised by your sponsor and cannot charge clients for work you do by yourself. It's illegal and if caught you may lose all your hard months of work and wont be able to do an apprenticeship again to recieve a license. It's happened to friends of mine.

Research and I even went as far as to have my employer/sponsor sign a two year employment contract. You wouldn't want her/him to let you go and loose all your logged months. A good stylist will understand your concerns. When it comes down to it, you are being paid to help your sponsors work load and in exchange, you get an education for your license and paid for your hard work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ladyluck10003 in Owings Mills, Maryland

18 months ago

Baltimore Stylist in Towson, Maryland said: Well an apprenticeship works in one major way, but the pay works in several. Now, I wouldn't recomment commission based at 40/60 because you aren't able to jump in and do styling that involves chemicals (which is a large sum of income). Now, here in Maryland we need 1500 hours and the apprenticeship is 2 years. Also, once you have been working along side of your Master\Senior stylist, then you have become accustomed and comforable with doing a few services and can branch out on your own. You must have a license as an apprentice so you can start to build your own miniature clientele remembering that your sponsor must be with you and able to show you the ropes through the process.

Hello.

Are you a Master/ Senior Stylist? I am in Maryland and am looking for a Cosmetology apprenticeship in a neighboring salon.

JENKDYMO in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

10 months ago

im just curious, what salons did you find out where doing apprenticeships

Sylvestalette Davis in Snow Hill, Maryland

4 months ago

I passed my test in theory at SCI with a grade score of 92%. I was wandering if a salon that is willing to apprentice me. I love doing hair,nails,working with people and willing I'm to learn. I would love to be a part of the cosmetology work force to beautify someones day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.