Just got Ca cosmetology lic..should i rent a booth?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

sandy in Gilroy, California

56 months ago

I got my license in june and i've been looking for a job ever since,It seems like every salon already has an assistant. Ive been told over and over by salons that theyre looking for someone with more experience and a clientele. What are my obtions? Is renting a booth a good obtion for someone new? at this point feel like its my only obtion:(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

nicole in New York, New York

52 months ago

sandy in Gilroy, California said: I got my license in june and i've been looking for a job ever since,It seems like every salon already has an assistant. Ive been told over and over by salons that theyre looking for someone with more experience and a clientele. What are my obtions? Is renting a booth a good obtion for someone new? at this point feel like its my only obtion:(

I don't think renting a booth would be the best option for a stylist starting out... you have to have your own clientele to bring to the salon unless they have a lot of walk in customers. I started out at a walk in franchise salon. They usually hire new stylists out of beauty school, and you can build a great clientele from walk in shops. I recommend finding a lower priced walk in shop, work there for a year or two to get more salon experience, then move onto better salons, when you have people who know you and like your work. People will start to give you their phone number for when you decide to leave where your at and move on, they will follow. When you have a good clientele, then think about renting a booth so your not paying the salon more than you're making. I may be wrong, since renting a booth is illegal in my state (nj) and I've never done it, but I'm just trying to help from what I know, and personal experience from starting out right out of school. Good luck to you, once you find your place, it is a wonderful exciting career

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

travel hair dresser in Bronx, New York

41 months ago

nicole in New York, New York said: I don't think renting a booth would be the best option for a stylist starting out... you have to have your own clientele to bring to the salon unless they have a lot of walk in customers. I started out at a walk in franchise salon. They usually hire new stylists out of beauty school, and you can build a great clientele from walk in shops. I recommend finding a lower priced walk in shop, work there for a year or two to get more salon experience, then move onto better salons, when you have people who know you and like your work. People will start to give you their phone number for when you decide to leave where your at and move on, they will follow. When you have a good clientele, then think about renting a booth so your not paying the salon more than you're making. I may be wrong, since renting a booth is illegal in my state (nj) and I've never done it, but I'm just trying to help from what I know, and personal experience from starting out right out of school. Good luck to you, once you find your place, it is a wonderful exciting career

Hello Travel hair dresser is looking for license and experience hairstylist for our clients.You will be doing events such as weddings,baby showers,birthdays,elderly and children.Please note: Travel hairdresser only do consultations,you will set your own price for our clients and you are only going to give us 15% of what you will make.This job require you to have your own equipment and travel to our clients.This job is more rewarding than renting a chair or a salon.We have several upcoming events that we are trying to fulfill.contact travelhairdresser@yahoo.com.Thanks in advance Cristal

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.