NYS Temporary Cosmetology License Extenstion

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (16)

Katherine G. in New York, New York

52 months ago

I'm going through almost the same, but I would like to know how long did it take for you to get mailed the 6 months temporary license??? after you paid the $30 and got the 60 days license or permission.
thanks for your help I'll be waiting the answer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Lisamarie

52 months ago

It takes about 6 weeks before you get the license in the mail. I hand-delivered mine to the office in Manhattan, so it probably would've been longer had I mailed it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Lisamarie

52 months ago

You can also check this site to find out if your license has been processed:
appsext8.dos.state.ny.us/lcns_public/lic_name_search_frm

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Katherine G. in New York, New York

52 months ago

Thank you!

WtcHazel Dianna in Lindenhurst, New York

46 months ago

Does anyone have the link to apply for a temp. 6 month license? I also need the application but cannot download PDF in my new computer, lol. Any suggestions?

lisamarie in East Elmhurst, New York

46 months ago

Since you live close to the City also.......I did everything with my license directly at the office in Manhattan. I did print the form first, so unsure if they will give you the application there, but you can try. The address is 123 William Street(Dept of State). They print out a temporary letter while you are there good for like 45 days until your temporary reaches you in the mail.

You do know you can download a free adobe reader, right? Here is the link: get.adobe.com/reader/ If you are able to do that, the link to print out the Cosmetology application is: www.dos.state.ny.us/forms/licensing/0034-a.pdf

I'm not sure if there is a link where you can apply for an extension. I just got my license March of this year (got my temporary and one extension - went to the office both times). Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

RE: "lisamarie in East Elmhurst, New York"
THANK YOU SWEETIE. i AM SO USED TO MY OTHER COMPUTER WHICH HAD EVERYTHING THAT I FORGOT THAT I COULD DOWNLOAD ADOBE READER, LOL. i did it already and got the application. Question by the way, if you'd already had a 6month temp license 10 yrs ago, will they issue me another? I want to go to work at a salon but wout a temp i can't?

Ken_NY in Selden, New York

46 months ago

E: "lisamarie in East Elmhurst, New York"
THANK YOU SWEETIE. i AM SO USED TO MY OTHER COMPUTER WHICH HAD EVERYTHING THAT I FORGOT THAT I COULD DOWNLOAD ADOBE READER, LOL. i did it already and got the application. Question by the way, if you'd already had a 6month temp license 10 yrs ago, will they issue me another? I want to go to work at a salon but wout a temp i can't?

No, you have to go through school all over again. 10 yrs ago, what took you so long.

46 months ago

Re: Ken_NY in Selden
No, you have to go through school all over again. 10 yrs ago, what took you so long...

Medical reasons.

Ken_NY in Long Island, New York

43 months ago

There is also Dept of Licensing office in Hauppaugue off Veterans Hwy if anyone is close.

I just got my official license today. Took the test practical on Dec 6th. I thought i failed. Everything went wrong after the haircut. I dropped things, I didn't get complete the perm waving and forgot to label a couple of bottles UGH. But I passed probably by the skin of my teeth.

If you haven't taken the written yet, its all about sanitation with a few questions about hair, nails and waxing peppered in. And when taking the practical, lable everything.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mehdi2012 in Flushing, New York

42 months ago

Hi everyone ,i got my diplomat of cosmetology in Florida, in Sep 2009,i have questions about getting a license here in New york:
1- is my 2009 beauty diplomat expired ?
2- what do i need to become a new york state licensed Cos?
Thank u!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Juanita Kelly in Brooklyn, New York

42 months ago

WtcHazel Dianna in Lindenhurst, New York said: Re: Ken_NY in Selden
No, you have to go through school all over again. 10 yrs ago, what took you so long...

Medical reasons.

I have the same question, except me 3 years ago.
what is the deadline?

james in Phoenix, Arizona

42 months ago

can someone help me? next week im moving to newyork from arizona(where ive been cosmetology licensed for 6 months) since i dont have 1 year experience i understand i have to apply for 6 month temp license. i called its just bunch of voice recordings i filled out application do i just mail that in to them? and will it take long? will i not be able to work in salon until i recieve that? please help

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

mandylynn622 in Clifton Park, New York

40 months ago

Juanita Kelly in Brooklyn, New York said: I have the same question, except me 3 years ago.
what is the deadline?

I'm going through the same exact thing. Has anybody found the answer to this question? I had a temp license 10 yrs ago and was wondering how, if possible, to retake all the tests. how long are our hours good for?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

shawnda in Pontiac, Michigan

40 months ago

lisamarie in Cambria Heights, New York said: I applied for my temporary license 6 months ago. It expires Jan. 16, 2010. I passed my written exam, but have not taken my practical exam. I was told I can apply for one 6-month extension so I can work and during that time take my practical exam. Does anyone know the procedure for getting the extension? I live in New York City. When I got the first temporary license I physically went to a place in NYC with the application, paid the $30 and they gave me a letter good for 60 days and then sent me my temporary in mail. Do I need to print out a new application, have the school and my doctor sign it and repeat the entire process? Thank you.

how long it take

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

SM in Brooklyn, New York

15 months ago

I received training in a salon in India, which I will be using to apply for license. I completed 1000 hours, as per the NY dept. requirement. Will they approve it or will I have to go to school here again? Also how do I apply? download the form and print it out and fill it and mail it with my certificates? Or deliver everything in person? All the documents, as in medical from a doctor and diplomas have to be original? Please advise! Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.