Newly Licensed Cosmetologist wanting to throw in the towel. Help!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (26)

Janelle in Richmond, Virginia

47 months ago

I would suggest applying to as many salons in your area for an Apprentice or Stylist Assistant position. Those are the only job titles that will give you on the job training as a hair stylist. However, most of these jobs are for people who do not have a license (since most people would except someone with a license to be skilled in the basics).

Besides that you can go on Youtube and watch as many tutorials as you can and practice daily. Read books, read magazines, you must live and breathe hair until you are great!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (52) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

cosmogirl in Vicksburg, Mississippi

44 months ago

Janelle in Richmond, Virginia said: I would suggest applying to as many salons in your area for an Apprentice or Stylist Assistant position. Those are the only job titles that will give you on the job training as a hair stylist. However, most of these jobs are for people who do not have a license (since most people would except someone with a license to be skilled in the basics).

Besides that you can go on Youtube and watch as many tutorials as you can and practice daily. Read books, read magazines, you must live and breathe hair until you are great!

That sounds like great advice! Where can you take continuing education courses on coloring, skin care, etc., once you've become licensed, in order to become a Master Cosmetologist?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Kaela in Parkville, Maryland

36 months ago

DONT FEEL DISCOURAGED!!!!!!!!! I am a hairstylist and this SAME exact thing happened to me! I went to hairschool and all we did was fool around in class all day we learned NOTHING!!!! finally when i graduated I went to a high class salon and still learned nothing. Everyone was so stuck up their own ass to give a hand to a new hairstylist out of school! I finally said screw this and went to GREAT CLIPS...which is only haircuts no color or anything. I thought it would just be a "stepping stone" in my career because i love doing color but I love it at great clips. You make HOURLY so if it is a slow rainy day u still make $$$. You also make comission on products which isnt much but still is a few bucks in ur paycheck. You should really see if there is a great clips in your area! You get benefits within 6 months of being there. Paid vacations and full time hours with a GOOD paycheck! Don't give up YET! I almost did but there is HOPE at the end of the tunnel!!!! I hope this helped you some!!! Goodluck!!! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (52) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

anthony@the-comb.com in Los Angeles, California

26 months ago

goshay in San Gabriel, California said: Your school had to of taught you something. You have your license so they accomplished that part of the equation.Now you have to get advanced education at Redking exchange in ny, ny and vidal sasoon, or Matrix craft academy and practice and sharpen up what you have learned.

The most advanced haircutting education academy is coming to California. Hair Salon Educators Academy featuring "The Comb" Advanced Education System will teach the young stylist still struggling with haircutting how to cut hair accurately, consistently every time. We expand your understanding of angles, cutting line and body position with a precision tool. Check us out at www.the-comb.com. Classes begin in June. Journeyman stylists will find their previous understanding of haircutting is extremely limited after they take our intro classes as well. Become a Master Stylist with our system. Everyone benefits. Good luck!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Tony in Salt Lake City, Utah

25 months ago

Molly Knappen in Chico, California said: If you are in the same position as the original poster- don't give up! The fact that your own work isn't yet measuring up, just shows off your great style sense and your ability to see in your head what would be awesome. If you were not able to become great, you wouldn't notice your own work stinks in the beginning. You just have to slog through it. The rule of thumb is that it takes about 10,000 hours of practice to become a virtuoso. That is about 10 years of work. Buckle in. Don't quit. Don't let the mismatch of great taste and beginner hands thwart you. What you do will someday match your ambitions.

Wow, 10,000 hours? That represents a lot of mistakes, al lot of unhappy customers, and an ogoing lack of confidence. Look at learning about our new educational system that will have you cutting hair precisely, accurately and with growing confidence in 1/100th the time of trial and error. Hair Salon Educators in Corona del Mar, CA. OPur goal is to help the young stylist learn how to cut hair with consistency and confidence by teaching you an entirely new method using our patented tools to do it. You cannot go wrong. Otherwise, best of luck surviving in an industry that devalues that is changing rapidly and will obsolete the traditional salon industry in a few more years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Hannah in Bonney Lake, Washington

14 months ago

Shannon Cardenas in Temecula, California said: I just got my California Cosmetology license June 13th 2011; I’m now starting to realize how it is starting out. My school didn’t teach me anything, it’s like starting at point A, I really thought that school was teaching me all the tools that I need to go out there into the big, big word of cosmetology. I don’t know how to cut hair for crap, they never taught us, standard 90, 180, & 0 degree cuts. So I started working at a salon (commission only) I knew I wasn’t going to be $$$, I was there hoping to learn. I sat there for two weeks doing nothing, no one taught me one thing not even going over the hair color line or product line. So I moved on and got a job working for fantastic Sam’s, thought now I’m going to get the training that I need. First day of work they taught me nothing, not even the computer system. I found out that I messed up this guys clipper cut, I told them from the get go that I need help and that I didn’t know how to cut men’s hair. I’m so discouraged, on top of that there like you need to loosen up (it’s hard to learn on your own and hold down a full on conversation at the same time). This big wonderful dream that I had is falling apart all around me, and I’m not a quitter but I really want to put my tail between my legs and run. What do I do Help!!!!!
P.S. I’m really angry with my school due to the fact of the lack of teaching us how to cut hair.
Where do I getting the training that I need to feel confident? Do I quit and try to do and internship ? Do I quit and realize maybe this isn’t for me?[/QUOTE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Hannah in Bonney Lake, Washington

14 months ago

Hey! Don't give up, beauty school no matter how prestigious only teaches the basics. The very basics.. my first salon job was horrible, like you they taught me absolutely nothing except clearly i needed a lot of help! And i took things into my own hands. I got a job at great clips where i only did haircuts all day every day i got new skills fast they send you to a training program that teaches easy to do shortcuts, i worked there a couple years even became manager and i hired every new out of beauty school girl and taught them as much as i could , i gained skills and confidence. I work for hairmasters now and absolutely love it! I feel confident in my work. I YouTube color techniques and cutting and styling all the time it's helpful. Don't give up. Find a company that offers training and base wage get your skills up practice build clientele and keep going!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Alliescut in Saint Louis, Missouri

14 months ago

Shannon Cardenas in Temecula, California said: I just got my California Cosmetology license June 13th 2011; I’m now starting to realize how it is starting out. My school didn’t teach me anything, it’s like starting at point A, I really thought that school was teaching me all the tools that I need to go out there into the big, big word of cosmetology. I don’t know how to cut hair for crap, they never taught us, standard 90, 180, & 0 degree cuts. So I started working at a salon (commission only) I knew I wasn’t going to be $$$, I was there hoping to learn. I sat there for two weeks doing nothing, no one taught me one thing not even going over the hair color line or product line. So I moved on and got a job working for fantastic Sam’s, thought now I’m going to get the training that I need. First day of work they taught me nothing, not even the computer system. I found out that I messed up this guys clipper cut, I told them from the get go that I need help and that I didn’t know how to cut men’s hair. I’m so discouraged, on top of that there like you need to loosen up (it’s hard to learn on your own and hold down a full on conversation at the same time). This big wonderful dream that I had is falling apart all around me, and I’m not a quitter but I really want to put my tail between my legs and run. What do I do Help!!!!!
P.S. I’m really angry with my school due to the fact of the lack of teaching us how to cut hair.
Where do I getting the training that I need to feel confident? Do I quit and try to do and internship ? Do I quit and realize maybe this isn’t for me?

Allies

I understand how frustrating this can be. I am a Cosmetologist and Instructors of Cosmetology. I can help you. I have the Fantastic Sams and Great Clips training and am willing to guide you through those cuts at no cost. I have developed a systems to help you overcome your fears. You may contact me via E.mail and we will set up a system to get you started. I

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lea in Milford, Connecticut

12 months ago

I have the same problem...I went to hairdressing school in CT and did learn a few things but not very much. Not enough of the basics to even get a job in a salon. I feel it was a waste of 18,000. But I did pass the state test with a 94% overall. If we had to do a practical test, I would have failed it. A few of the girls have tried to get jobs in salons and are told they are not qualified & that the salons don't have time to train them in the basics.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jessica in Glen Burnie, Maryland

11 months ago

School just gives you the basics. I'm kind of shocked that there are so many people here who never need to take a practical exam!

You need to start in a corporate chain salon - Super Cuts, Hair Cuttery, JCPenny etc. because they all offer a lot of advanced training and are focused on training stylists fresh out of school. Don't both rent (you'll be in way over your head) and don't work for a privately-owned salon unless they have a good new talent training program. Go to hair conventions - almost every major metropolitan city has them, and most of the classes are included in your ticket price. Contact your local professional beauty supply, sometimes they give classes in-store. And if you're still in school, make a goal to learn something specific each week and then ask your instructors (or even other students) to show you. The girls I went to school with weren't overly friendly, but most of them were happy to show you something new (if only because it stroked their ego that someone was asking THEM for help...haha!) Tell friends and family you'll do their hair at home for free and practice on them - friends and family are more likely to let you experiment and won't be so hard on you if you mess up.

And remember...doing hair is not about perfection, it's about making your client happy. If your client loves her color and in reality it's a bit brassy...then you did it perfect, because THE CLIENT'S opinion is the only one that matters! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jjvgavon in Clementon, New Jersey

11 months ago

Alliescut in Saint Louis, Missouri said: Allies

Hi,
I am in the same boat as the original poster as well, I graduated from beauty school in 1995, got my license and to this day I was told that I lack technical skills, it's horrible, because you would expect a licensed cosmetologist of 18 - 19 years to have some experience, well I don't, I also was taught nothing in beauty school, a lot of book work, quizzes, tests, and goofing off all day was what occurred- we did a lot of roller sets and played with each other's hair and did facials!!! I would love to gain some haircutting skills, but these salons never train, they want you to be experienced right from the start and it is a little discouraging especially when you are someone like myself, who is very motivated, a quick learner and very willing to learn. I have looked into super cuts since they state that they send you to training before they give you a chair, that is what I need lots of hands on training, I don't know what else to do, I let my license expire because I wasn't working In a salon for a few years, and all I ever did for the salons I have worked for was shampoo hair, I did work for one salon that the manager wanted me to watch and learn the hair cuts, but it is a little hard to watch and learn anything when they constantly have you cleaning the salon, doing laundry and cleaning color bottles!! I am a little frustrated that I am licensed and can't even get behind the chair, I feel like getting licensed was all for nothing. help!!
Jennifer

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

spicee tee in Enterprise, Alabama

11 months ago

jjvgavon in Clementon, New Jersey said:

I was just talking to a girl that I went to beauty school with about this. We graduated almost 2 years ago. We had a class of about 30 and maybe only 5 of us took the state exam. Our school was the same as yours; a LOT of doing nothing (sometimes we didn't even have an instructor for the day), roller sets and facials and drama between some of the teachers and students. I'm really surprised to see that you are feeling the exact same way that I'm feeling! That just goes to show you how truly important it is to learn the basics but what do you do when the basics are not taught in the first place! It's almost like you have to go to advanced training school for another year or so after getting your license. I'm in desperate need of some help as well!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Societies Change in Silver Spring, Maryland

10 months ago

We are here to assist passionate Licensed Beauty Professionals.

The understanding of an industry that can take multiple sourced skill sets may leave you drained at times.

Our commitment to quality of customization drives this lustrous trade.

You will make it. Build your own successful legacies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jed in Washington, District of Columbia

6 months ago

Ugh I have a similar type of problem, but not the exact same. even though the training at my school was pretty good, I'm still having trouble finding solid work at a salon, and a lot of trouble building a clientele. Any advice out there? Should be taking advantage of social media more?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

JessieGii in Van Nuys, California

3 months ago

This was a good read for me im starting beauty school in June, any more advise or tips? Im in cali going to Paul Mitchell

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Scissor Slinger in Santa Monica, California

3 months ago

Janelle in Richmond, Virginia said: I would suggest applying to as many salons in your area for an Apprentice or Stylist Assistant position. Those are the only job titles that will give you on the job training as a hair stylist. However, most of these jobs are for people who do not have a license (since most people would except someone with a license to be skilled in the basics).

This is such a rewarding industry. Apply, Apply, Apply! Find a salon with some walk in traffic. Advertise yourself. Use some of your time in the salon usually starting assistant and they should be training you, ask if you can bring in models, build your clientele. Days off pass out cards. It is up to you to make yourself. If you are an artist and love it DO NOT GIVE UP! It is so rewarding. Places with traffic are in malls, or areas with high concentration of people. Put yourself out there. It will happen. I bet your school would help.
Good luck
Scissor Slinger75

JessieGii in North Hollywood, California

3 months ago

Scissor Slinger in Santa Monica, California said: This is such a rewarding industry. Apply, Apply, Apply! Find a salon with some walk in traffic. Advertise yourself. Use some of your time in the salon usually starting assistant and they should be training you, ask if you can bring in models, build your clientele. Days off pass out cards. It is up to you to make yourself. If you are an artist and love it DO NOT GIVE UP! It is so rewarding. Places with traffic are in malls, or areas with high concentration of people. Put yourself out there. It will happen. I bet your school would help.
Good luck
Scissor Slinger75

What school did you go to? And can you recomend any workshops to take out side of beauty school in cali??

3 months ago

JessieGii in North Hollywood, California said: What school did you go to? And can you recomend any workshops to take out side of beauty school in cali??

I wish I could email you. I went to school back in 95'. I went to a higher education school. I was taught by some of the best. I learned a lot. I did everything in the field. I also went back to academic school. Hair is my passion. I'm not far from you and I am also in Cali. There are so many workshops to take after school. You could take a course in cutting/coloring if it is your confidence you are struggling with. What are you struggling with? I can recommend what I did. Let me know what you are having issues with.

3 months ago

I have lots of ideas. I went to Vidal Sassoon. You do learn a solid foundation. If you have problems with getting hired because you feel you haven't had proper tools or a proper foundation and feel lost, review your training, ask questions, I know you are allowed to do that. If it's putting yourself out there, social media is a good way, take more classes, use your resources. Having graduated from Paul Mitchell you have some. Email me, if it's appropriate I can share what I know. I know one thing, you have come to far, graduated, and have been licensed. Congratulations! So much more to come, you are a visionary do not throw in the towel. It is one of the industries that will always need another human. You are a constant student, we never arrive that's what is so amazing about this industry. It never gets dull.

JessieGii in North Hollywood, California

3 months ago

please feel free to eamil @ jessieshair00@gmail.com
hair is my LIFE! I am still learning and trying some of everything i am big on social media pintrest and you tube get me through it all. I have not started school yet (dont know if you were talking to me about that one) classes start June 29th. I am sooo excited!!
any tips on what to do once class starts?? so far i got to ask questions lol check!!

golddorothy in Southington, Connecticut

3 months ago

Lea in Milford, Connecticut said: I have the same problem...I went to hairdressing school in CT and did learn a few things but not very much. Not enough of the basics to even get a job in a salon. I feel it was a waste of 18,000. But I did pass the state test with a 94% overall. If we had to do a practical test, I would have failed it. A few of the girls have tried to get jobs in salons and are told they are not qualified & that the salons don't have time to train them in the basics.

Lea don't get discouraged. You may contact me via e-mail golddorothy@aol.com. I may be able to help you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

3 months ago

Please feel free to email me as well, this is a wonderful, rewarding career! Don't give up. We can help. rrosen34.9@gmail.com

sacred_hands in Charlotte, North Carolina

3 months ago

My problems are very similar. I've applied to soooo many salons trying to get an assistant/apprentice job but it has been the most challenging. I successully passed my partical and written exam and now have been licensed for almost a year but still no freaking luck. I swear I just want to give it all up but I've gotten so far just by obtaining my license. IVe literally tried everything in the book to get a job but still Nothing. I want to to attend the advance educational classes but they are expensive. I'm stuck at this point and really don't know where I want to go from here. Ive loved everything about hair since I was a little girl. My passion for hair is just out if this world. I don't want to give up but I really just don't know what else there is to do

Erica in Los Angeles, California

10 days ago

Alliescut in Saint Louis, Missouri said: Allies

I understand how frustrating this can be. I am a Cosmetologist and Instructors of Cosmetology. I can help you. I have the Fantastic Sams and Great Clips training and am willing to guide you through those cuts at no cost. I have developed a systems to help you overcome your fears. You may contact me via E.mail and we will set up a system to get you started. I

Oh my god please help me as well!!

jjvgavon in blackwood, New Jersey

8 days ago

Erica,
I received your reply in my email, Can I email you? I would love to have training on hair cuts, I feel like I barely learned anything in cosmetology class. I have applied to numerous salons only to be told I lack technical skills. It's very frustrating because I have a license and can't do anything with it except shampoo.

jjvgavon in blackwood, New Jersey

8 days ago

Hi Erica,
I received your response in my email, Can I have your email? I would love to receive training on hair cuts. It's frustrating that I have a license and can't do anything with it. I have applied to numerous salons only to be told that I lack technical skills.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.