Opening a salon in a assisted living facility

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (40)

jeannine in Bella Vista, Arkansas

66 months ago

Hello, I currently work as a independent stylist at a assisted living facility. However, within a month I will be running another salon at a second location. I am needing some ideas of how to develop a format for the families(of the residents)regarding payment for hair services. I am wanting to implement a deposit per month (prepayment) prior to hair services. At the current location I am working in, I do some billing and the rest I get paid from the residents petty cash (from the managers office). However, sometimes I am having to wait for payment, and when there are too many people involved in payment it does get confusing and frustating. I would like to be the only one dealing with the residents and or their families when it comes to payment, but need some ideas on how to get paid on time, without having to chase my money. If anyone knows of some format (contract??)that I can print off online, that I could use with the residents or the families that would be specific regarding payment, ect., please let me know. I would appreciate any input. Thank you. Jeannine

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

momto1son in Batavia, Ohio

66 months ago

Hi Jeannine,

I have been working at an assisted living facility for quite a few years. We have a POS system. First you look up the persons lastname and key in the service they receive that is pre-programmed with the price. We also have a sheet of paper with all the services at the top of the sheet. We write down each persons name and check under each category what service they receive. We have 1 paper we fill out for each day. At the end of the 2nd week, we turn it into payroll and they pay us a percentage and direct deposit into our account. I should mention too that we are independent contractors. It's so easy because it gets added onto their monthly bill. If they pay with cash, it still gets rang up under their name but we just press the pay cash key first. I'm not sure what you mean about the prepayments because if you are like we are, we have quite a few no shows, unless you mean that each client deposits a certain amount each month and calls it something like beauty shop fund. It's always a good idea to to give them a receipt. I hope this helped, I understand that not every facility has a pos. I can also e-mail you a copy of the paper sheet that we use.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

momto1son in Batavia, Ohio

66 months ago

jeannine in Bella Vista, Arkansas said: Hi, thanks for the info. However, we are completely on our own. We claim our own taxes, and we do not pay rent at this facility....Lucky for us....its just we (i) am trying to come up with a better plan for payment from the families. We are sometimes having to wait for the family members to put money in the residents petty cash acct, and or for the family to come up to the salon and pay us, if the resident cannot pay on their own, and seeing I am going to be getting this second salon location off the ground, I want to implement something from the get go....any other suggestions?? Help! LOL!

Hi Jeannine,

If I were you, I would have the family members deposit into a beauty shop fund at the beginning of each month. You could record the services on the paper I am talking about and go up to payroll to collect on each person out of their petty cash account each week or per day however you wanted to do it. That is very difficult to keep track of and having to wait to get paid is nonsense. Also too, you probably already have it, but don't forget that you and each person that works for you has to have liability insurance. It only cost me $100.00 a year but is so worth the peace of mind. I hope this helps!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

D. Williams in Greenville, South Carolina

63 months ago

I'm doing a quick research on working as a hairstylist at a "Senior Living" community. What steps show I take? I've always work in a "corporate salon" and I'm looking for a chage. I have a few questions: what are the hours?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

momto1son in Cincinnati, Ohio

63 months ago

Hi,

I can answer any questions you have, I have been doing this for quite a few years. Do you have yahoo messenger?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

D. Williams in Greenville, South Carolina

63 months ago

Yes, I have instant message thru yahoo.
I'm changing my clentels because my kids will soon be in school and I'm limited to the hours i can work in a salon.
I need the chance to make money durning the hours that my kids are in school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

momto1son in Cincinnati, Ohio

63 months ago

When you work at an assisted living community most of your hours will be during school hours. How if works in our salon is your first appointment will be after their breakfast usually about 9:00 AM. They usually eat lunch around noon and this is a good time to fit independent people in this time slot usually from 12-1. It is a really good opportunity because it is an automatic clientelle. Usually it is on a commission basis around 60 percent. The last appointment of the day is somewhere in between 2 or 2:30 or sometimes 3:00. If you want to know more let me know and we can chat privately on yahoo messenger. Just let me know your messenger Id
and I will add you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

D. Williams in Greenville, South Carolina

63 months ago

dwilliams072003@yahoo.com is my e-mail

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

crmn07 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

62 months ago

I am a Licensed Cosmetologist,Facial Specialist and Body Wrapper, been working as hair stylist for a corporation for
the past 20 years. I am looking to make a change but staying within the beauty industry, perhaps still doing hair but in a assisted living facility? Any suggestions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

crmn07 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

62 months ago

I am a Licensed Cosmetologist, Facial Specialist and Body Wrapper. Working as a hair stylist for a corporation for about 20 years or so. Looking for a change but within the beauty industry. Any suggestions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

trinaddrin@*****.*** in Marietta, Georgia

62 months ago

Hi, any help, suggestions, advice would be greatly appreciated.. When approaching/contacting various assisted living facilities, what are some of the questions I need to ask, and that they would ask me about coming into their facility and having salon days?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jess

60 months ago

Hi everyone,
I'm also new to the assisted living center salons rules and regs. Would anyone know how and if we'll be inspected, what my responsibilities are as the sole salon renter? All I was told from the Assisted living center. Was to have stylist insurance which i do have. Please any help or links are appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Vee Lrae in New York, New York

56 months ago

momto1son in Cincinnati, Ohio said: When you work at an assisted living community most of your hours will be during school hours. How if works in our salon is your first appointment will be after their breakfast usually about 9:00 AM. They usually eat lunch around noon and this is a good time to fit independent people in this time slot usually from 12-1. It is a really good opportunity because it is an automatic clientelle. Usually it is on a commission basis around 60 percent. The last appointment of the day is somewhere in between 2 or 2:30 or sometimes 3:00. If you want to know more let me know and we can chat privately on yahoo messenger. Just let me know your messenger Id
and I will add you.

I am also interested in starting one too!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

fowler in Cleveland, Ohio

51 months ago

HiIam a licensed cosmetologist and a license STNA I would love to start a salon business in a assited living facility, how do u get started

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

momto1son in Cincinnati, Ohio

51 months ago

If their is an assisted living in your area that is new or being built, I would try that first. That's what I did and got hired right away. Otherwise, just call around in your area to see if they are hiring for the beauty shop. I would pick some of the bigger ones as they would have more people. It's commission where I work and I stay booked. You don't have to have an STNA license either. I learned Cpr along time ago but did not need it for this job either. Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

fowler in Cleveland, Ohio

51 months ago

Yes thank u for your help i know where to start is it just assisted living facilities or nursing homes to.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

momto1son in Cincinnati, Ohio

51 months ago

I work at an assisted living facility. They also have different levels of care. Some in the facility are independent, some have apartments and some need certain levels of care. I think I would look for an assited living faciltiy as I think they tend to have more residents than nursing homes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

momto1son in Cincinnati, Ohio

51 months ago

Its really a combonation of both. They may start out as being independent and if something happens to their heatlh they can move around within the faciltiy depending on the level of care needed. So to answer your question its a combonation of both but more assited living.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

j in Stamford, Connecticut

51 months ago

j

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

momto1son in Cincinnati, Ohio

50 months ago

Yes, If you could leave me your contact information, I will get back with you. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

annieferguson4@*****.*** in Denver, Colorado

39 months ago

I just found your post and am in need of advice.
I am currently a licensed Cosmetologist in Denver Colorado, have been working as a caregiver and would like some information about offering my services as a hairstylist
at assisted living facilities.
I would like to know what steps you have taken, where to apply, and how to get started.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ebony in Chicago, Illinois

30 months ago

hello Jennine,

I am currently trying to do the same thing but don't know where or how to start. Can you please help me?

jeannine in Bella Vista, Arkansas said: Hello, I currently work as a independent stylist at a assisted living facility. However, within a month I will be running another salon at a second location. I am needing some ideas of how to develop a format for the families(of the residents)regarding payment for hair services. I am wanting to implement a deposit per month (prepayment) prior to hair services. At the current location I am working in, I do some billing and the rest I get paid from the residents petty cash (from the managers office). However, sometimes I am having to wait for payment, and when there are too many people involved in payment it does get confusing and frustating. I would like to be the only one dealing with the residents and or their families when it comes to payment, but need some ideas on how to get paid on time, without having to chase my money. If anyone knows of some format ( contract ??)that I can print off online, that I could use with the residents or the families that would be specific regarding payment, ect., please let me know. I would appreciate any input. Thank you. Jeannine

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lisa_22862 in Conyers, Georgia

29 months ago

Ebony in Chicago, Illinois said: hello Jennine,

I am currently trying to do the same thing but don't know where or how to start. Can you please help me?


I would like to know also! I feel like I run into dead ends all the time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

fm nashville in Nashville, Tennessee

27 months ago

Hi I am considering working at an assisted living facility.
Can you give me what you consider to be the pros and cons?
Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Blondie_duh

26 months ago

momto1son in Cincinnati, Ohio said: When you work at an assisted living community most of your hours will be during school hours. How if works in our salon is your first appointment will be after their breakfast usually about 9:00 AM. They usually eat lunch around noon and this is a good time to fit independent people in this time slot usually from 12-1. It is a really good opportunity because it is an automatic clientelle. Usually it is on a commission basis around 60 percent. The last appointment of the day is somewhere in between 2 or 2:30 or sometimes 3:00. If you want to know more let me know and we can chat privately on yahoo messenger. Just let me know your messenger Id
and I will add you.

Hi! I was recently given this opportunity. I have worked independently for about 7 yrs. I would also like the form and any other information you can share.

Thanx☺️

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Andrea in Fairfield, Ohio

25 months ago

HEllo my name is Andrea and I am a Cosmetologist in Cincinnati. I want to do something a little different. Im trying to become a mobile stylist but only want to work with the elderly and disabled. I have had business cards made and even a name. But I am concerned about the legal part of it. Some people say go ahead and do it as long as the senior building manager gives you permission and also if im going to a person's home who can make it to a salon. I was told they have to have a note from the doctor saying they cant get our the house to have services done. then get a permit to their hair without being in a salon. Im so confused but sooo ready to start this business. can you or anyone help me im in Cincinnati ohio.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Andrea in Fairfield, Ohio

25 months ago

HEllo my name is Andrea and I am a Cosmetologist in Cincinnati. I want to do something a little different. Im trying to become a mobile stylist but only want to work with the elderly and disabled. I have had business cards made and even a name. But I am concerned about the legal part of it. Some people say go ahead and do it as long as the senior building manager gives you permission and also if im going to a person's home who cant make it to a salon. I was told they have to have a note from the doctor saying they cant get out the house to have services done. then get a permit to get their hair done without being in a salon. Im so confused but sooo ready to start this business. can you or anyone help me im in Cincinnati ohio.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Pam in Elkton, Maryland

24 months ago

Clients pay me and there is petty cash for the clients. I am not getting trouble getting paid. My problem is I need a system easier than a receipt book. I need a check off system I think that would be faster for me. Because sometimes I forget to write one down.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Pam in Elkton, Maryland

24 months ago

momto1son in Batavia, Ohio said: Hi Jeannine,

I have been working at an assisted living facility for quite a few years. We have a POS system. First you look up the persons lastname and key in the service they receive that is pre-programmed with the price. We also have a sheet of paper with all the services at the top of the sheet. We write down each persons name and check under each category what service they receive. We have 1 paper we fill out for each day. At the end of the 2nd week, we turn it into payroll and they pay us a percentage and direct deposit into our account . I should mention too that we are independent contractors. It's so easy because it gets added onto their monthly bill. If they pay with cash, it still gets rang up under their name but we just press the pay cash key first. I'm not sure what you mean about the prepayments because if you are like we are, we have quite a few no shows, unless you mean that each client deposits a certain amount each month and calls it something like beauty shop fund. It's always a good idea to to give them a receipt. I hope this helped, I understand that not every facility has a pos. I can also e-mail you a copy of the paper sheet that we use.

Could you send me a copy of the paper sheet you use?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Donna in Ky

22 months ago

Pam in Elkton, Maryland said: Clients pay me and there is petty cash for the clients. I am not getting trouble getting paid. My problem is I need a system easier than a receipt book. I need a check off system I think that would be faster for me. Because sometimes I forget to write one down.

I have been doing hair for 43 years when someone from a local senior living asked me if I could work a couple days a week i was pretty excited. I pay for licsense and I am independent contractor. I pay rent. The lady who runs the facility has a problem with not being my 'boss' I have been through it for 4 years now and had to go to corporate a few times. The place has gone from a senior care to almost all dementia patients we have a section do altzhiemers also. It is most certainly stressful trouble with getting paid then j started making them pay as they go but sadly the POA s forget or are very demanding. I have tried everything and I can't tell you what to do and if you have a Patron passed away then they don't think they need to pay balance. This woman has told me she would take care of it but nothing generally happens. I have quit color just put on color rinses. They are most in such a physically bad shape it is a total workout just for a shampoo and set. I am thinking about stopping the perms as well i show up on days just to do them and they change their mind or i find out they have a drs appointment at same times. Went i drive to work I expect to work not sit on my duff. I am trying to work as long as j can but within a couple years plan to retire. This was not at all what I thought i signed on for. Do you think if I posted that no chemical services will be offered after December would be exceptable?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

erin in Novato, California

14 months ago

momto1son in Cincinnati, Ohio said: Hi,

I can answer any questions you have, I have been doing this for quite a few years. Do you have yahoo messenger?

hi, I to need some advice on opening a salon in a retirement community. I would love to talk. pls let me know if u are still avalible . my email is ejg0420@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Gwyn Shone in Little Elm, Texas

14 months ago

jeannine in Bella Vista, Arkansas said: Hello, I currently work as a independent stylist at a assisted living facility. However, within a month I will be running another salon at a second location. I am needing some ideas of how to develop a format for the families(of the residents)regarding payment for hair services. I am wanting to implement a deposit per month (prepayment) prior to hair services. At the current location I am working in, I do some billing and the rest I get paid from the residents petty cash (from the managers office). However, sometimes I am having to wait for payment, and when there are too many people involved in payment it does get confusing and frustating. I would like to be the only one dealing with the residents and or their families when it comes to payment, but need some ideas on how to get paid on time, without having to chase my money. If anyone knows of some format ( contract ??)that I can print off online, that I could use with the residents or the families that would be specific regarding payment, ect., please let me know. I would appreciate any input. Thank you. Jeannine

Well,much like "prebooking",you could offer %10 off if they prepay(separately)when they pay rent,which will cover services for the month since most older people know exactly how many visits they will make to the salon in a months time..Anything additional will be pay as you go..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

shirley in Chicago, Illinois

13 months ago

Hi, I am interested in working as an independent stylist in an assistant living facility. Anyone have an idea on how to get started, and maybe ideas on a contrat and how to bill? Any suggestions please email me at lockett816@gmail.com any in put is greatly appreciated. Thank you. Shirley

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

pmariewag@*****.*** in Minneapolis, Minnesota

12 months ago

Hi, Im new to this but very passionate about starting my own business in the senior living salon. Im having a terrible time deciding on a price list. I have been doing hair for 32 years. I have worked in senior living for 2 1/2 years now.I'm goig into a senior living that has not had a stylist there since Jan.2015. they since have gone out to other salons in the community and have paid full pprice unless they have gone to a volume service which would be the chain salons in the area. I need to say no more. That is not my quality and have worked in that environment at one time. I need someone to help me with pricing and I would be ok with private messaging. Thankyou

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

WonderTy in Herndon, Virginia

12 months ago

pmariewag@gmail.com in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: Hi, Im new to this but very passionate about starting my own business in the senior living salon. Im having a terrible time deciding on a price list. I have been doing hair for 32 years. I have worked in senior living for 2 1/2 years now.I'm goig into a senior living that has not had a stylist there since Jan.2015. they since have gone out to other salons in the community and have paid full pprice unless they have gone to a volume service which would be the chain salons in the area. I need to say no more. That is not my quality and have worked in that environment at one time. I need someone to help me with pricing and I would be ok with private messaging. Thankyou

Hello,

I am interested in cutting hair in senior homes. Can you tell me how/what I need to do to get started or how to go about this. You can message me at ctyronda@gmail.com..Thank you so much!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

G1

9 months ago

pmariewag@gmail.com in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: Hi, Im new to this but very passionate about starting my own business in the senior living salon. Im having a terrible time deciding on a price list. I have been doing hair for 32 years. I have worked in senior living for 2 1/2 years now.I'm goig into a senior living that has not had a stylist there since Jan.2015. they since have gone out to other salons in the community and have paid full pprice unless they have gone to a volume service which would be the chain salons in the area. I need to say no more. That is not my quality and have worked in that environment at one time. I need someone to help me with pricing and I would be ok with private messaging. Thankyou

Hello, it looks like we both have been doing hair forever! I don't know that much about the price lists at Senior living homes. However, I do volunteer with Hospice patients at them and will check out the costs for you if you wish.
I have a co worker who works in one a few days a week so I will ask her too!
Why are you thinking of working in a senior facility? I was wondering when a person does this, well, don't you many times have no shows? When clients aren't feeling up to getting their hair done? Then isn't this lack of money for you or open spots? Just wondering.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

sassys in Ansmosa, Iowa

7 months ago

Hi I am looking to continue my skills into a slower pace so I thought I would try nurseing homes or asistant liveing. But I want paid by the hour

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Dtate in Zachary, Louisiana

3 months ago

jeannine in Bella Vista, Arkansas said: Hello, I currently work as a independent stylist at a assisted living facility. However, within a month I will be running another salon at a second location. I am needing some ideas of how to develop a format for the families(of the residents)regarding payment for hair services. I am wanting to implement a deposit per month (prepayment) prior to hair services. At the current location I am working in, I do some billing and the rest I get paid from the residents petty cash (from the managers office). However, sometimes I am having to wait for payment, and when there are too many people involved in payment it does get confusing and frustating. I would like to be the only one dealing with the residents and or their families when it comes to payment, but need some ideas on how to get paid on time, without having to chase my money. If anyone knows of some format ( contract ??)that I can print off online, that I could use with the residents or the families that would be specific regarding payment, ect., please let me know. I would appreciate any input. Thank you. Jeannine

Hi I know this is a old post but I'm interested in opening up a salon In a assisted living home can you please tel me where do I start my email address is Donielle.tate@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Donna in ky in Hollywood, Florida

2 months ago

I am in the same business
Maybe we can discuss options
Contact me at three five to four nine seven give zero three nine
Carrie Pruitt
Florida

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

sethomsen5@*****.*** in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

2 months ago

Donna in ky in Hollywood, Florida said: I am in the same business
Maybe we can discuss options
Contact me at three five to four nine seven give zero three nine
Carrie Pruitt
Florida

contact me at 9ishto 5ishfour...fouru=ish oish oneish..two..sh

nineish zero nineish/// lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.